• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Power Sound Audio

JeffMackwood said:
Tom V. said:
No worries about recommending different brands when it seems appropriate guys. Power Sound Audio isn't the best option for every scenario out there...yet...:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom,

Hope you don't mind me asking but, do you (and if not, will you / do you hope to) have a Canadian distributor / service centre?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Eventually but I admit its not high on our list right now. We seem to get very good rates on most Canadian addresses from Fed Ex. And adding another "cog in distribution wheel" will have the typical pros/cons. (no one works for free after all). I think if you compared our shipping direct rates to competitors who may have a "dealer" in Canada we would fare surprisingly well.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Finally reading this thread making me wish I had room for another sub though me and Jeff are in contention with each other on whomever owns the most wins. Just wanted to wish Tom the best of luck with his new company and when time to upgrade I'll give PSA a call. I recall a conversation I had with Tom years ago when buying my ISD 12/2 and then calling Tom again about the benefits of upgrading to the NSD drivers when they came out (which I bought) and thinking how cool it was to call a well respected company and getting to talk with one of its founders and having him answer every question I threw at him. Excellent customer service is number one priority in my book and why my next upgraded sub will be a PSA.

JeffMackwood said:
Zing said:
JeffMackwood said:
...I would still look at SVS (and the PB13 Ultra)...

yromj said:
...I would bet lunch w/ a beer that the SVS PB-13U would give you a NOTICEABLE difference over the CV.
I'd bet a bigger lunch and more beer that Power Sound Audio would appreciate suggesting and recommending their subs instead of a competitor's, especially in this thread.
Zing,

Your clipped quote from my post left off the most important part, namely that "...I would look at a lot of others as well."

I was not saying to the exclusion of all others - in fact the exact opposite.

I have no problem recommending PSA products as well, except that it comes with no cred since I've never seen nor heard any of them yet. I own the SVS, and have heard it in other environments as well. I specifically did not mention any other brands, even though there are many that I have heard and owned that I could have.

My aim was simply to provide advice to a fellow Canuck and SVS owner.

Jeff

ps. Do we know if PSA has an authorized Canadian distributor who can also handle warranty / repairs, yet? Trust me when I say that buying direct from a US online retailer and shipping into Canada can be a daunting / expensive / frustrating proposition from purchase and over the life of the product. Pity the poor purchaser who has to ship something back for repairs!

Thanks Jeff: for your kind advice, sorry I that I did not answer this post any sooner, been busy travelling the world now that I am back I am catching up on the posts. yes you are absolutely right, what would be my actual cost for shipping and duty, and what about if I am not satisfied with the product, what would be my cost for returning the goods and would they reimburse the duty? these are all the questions that an individual who lives outside the US would be asking. I have been spoiled by the sound of my PB13u it will be difficult to find an exact match. if Power Sound is expanding to Canada, I would be willing to give them a try.

Sailor said:
Thanks Jeff: for your kind advice, sorry I that I did not answer this post any sooner, been busy travelling the world now that I am back I am catching up on the posts. yes you are absolutely right, what would be my actual cost for shipping and duty, and what about if I am not satisfied with the product, what would be my cost for returning the goods and would they reimburse the duty? these are all the questions that an individual who lives outside the US would be asking. I have been spoiled by the sound of my PB13u it will be difficult to find an exact match. if Power Sound is expanding to Canada, I would be willing to give them a try.
You're welcome Sailor.

Jeff

ps. Wild guess on my part, but do you serve on HMCS Regina? If so I think you probably put Flint's "world tour" to shame. :)

I have served on many ships (mostly Tribal) but not on the newer ships like the one who bear the provincial capitals, I have been retired from the Canadian Navy since 1996. now I am totally retired from the work force since Jan 2012. now I am travelling the world with my wife.

Hi All,

Power Sound Audio has no dealers at this point, Canada or otherwise.

With home audio subwoofers there is really 2 areas that could require warranty attention----drivers and amplifiers.

In either case sending a replacement component to the customer would be the most common method for warranty service. So as long as the home theater enthusiast has a screw-driver he/she can typically install the new component in a few minutes.

Having a dealer in the same geographical location can provide benefits of course. But dealers don't work for free. So you will inevitably give up some "cost/performance" ratio in exchange for the added convenience.

We really don't have anything significantly more powerful than an ultra available at the moment. Give us a few weeks and we'll have some announcements that may be of interest though.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Holy. Shit.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/prism/products/triax

Triax_top_angle2_1024x1024.png

CMonster said:

You beat me to it. Tom is "unchained"...

Look at these specs.

Driver
•Power Sound Audio proprietary 15” driver with dual 3" diameter voice coils
•25lb heavily vented motor
•3" peak to peak excursion
•Assembled in the USA
Motor
•25lb heavily vented motor structure
•Finite Element Analysis (FEA) optimized
•Low carbon 1008 steel for maximum flux flow
•Large extended pole geometry with wide radiused openings for quiet operation and efficient cooling even at extreme excursion
•Double stack Y35 grade ferrite core
•Vented backplate for direct voice coil cooling
•Precisely designed copper mass to reduce inductance
•USA manufactured, extreme temperature, four layer voice coil
•Black anodized aluminum 0.008" thick voice coil former
Cone
•Nonpressed, spruce pulp paper
•Long strand kevlar
Suspension
•Dual 8" Nomex linear spiders
•Stitched lead wires for fatigue resistance and silent motion
•Multiple layer foam surround with EROM (Extened Range Of Motion) profile
•Double stitched cone/surround contact for added longevity and durability
Frame
•Twelve spoke cast aluminum frame for a rigid foundation
•Under spider venting for increased cooling and quiet operation
•Black powder coated finish
Amplifier Specifications
•Amplifier Power: 4000W RMS (continuous), 8000W Peak (dynamic)
•Amplifier Topology: Innovative post-filter feedback class-D topology, achieves ruler-flat frequency response, low distortion and very high damping across the whole audio band
•Uses latest generation power MOSFET transistors and highly optimized output stage for up to 95% efficiency, allowing quiet fan-less operation up to unprecedented power levels
•Full featured protection: DC, overload, low impedances, shorts, under/over-voltage, overheating, etc.
•Very low idle power consumption (<20W typ.), saves electricity in comparison with most pro-audio and class AB amps
•Includes gentle soft-start and long-term power limiter to reduce the chances of tripping breakers
•120VAC only
•Inputs: Balanced XLR input and balance XLR loop output.
•Two user selectable DSP programs for optimization in almost any room size
• LED indicators for circuit protection, clipping, AC power, and signal
Enclosure
•Sealed enclosure
•Triaxial driver array
•Finish options: super durable, satin black textured finish and real wood veneers
•Precision machined CNC panels for perfect fit of all components
•Rigid MDF baffles
•Dimensions (D x W x H): 27.5” x 31” x 23.5” Technical Drawing
•Weight: 190lbs
•Made in the USA

I love the size and weight of this thing.

The Prism looks REALLY freakin' cool. I was thinking about wall interaction w/ the drivers but then I realized it really won't matter. The only way I could really see it matter is if the drivers were close enough to actually create back pressure against the faces. Given that the angle of the drivers doesn't appear to be 90 degrees, this can't happen.

I can't wait to see a review of one of these. Tom, any chance you can send one to Deleware around mid-June?

John

I think Tom and a truck full of Power Sound Audio goodies need to make their way to Delaware next month. :twocents-mytwocents:

I really should've stopped following the PSA thread over on AVSForum after I got my second XV-15...

I've been thinking about getting a third XV-15 but now I'm wondering if I should compliment what I have with an XV-30 since the back of my HT "room" is open to the rest of the basement.

For those of you who attended my GTG, what'd you think of the bass response in there?

What's happening in mid June?

We won't begin shipments until July anyway, so probably not.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

CMonster said:
Looks like there will be at least 15 members there
At least one of which will have his checkbook, credit card and some cash with him. Just sayin'... :eusa-whistle:

Back