• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Preamp/Processors Available???

Zing said:
I don't know. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. We saw the inside of Onkyo pre/pro and the inside of an Onkyo receiver. The pre/pro had a better layout, better component isolation and more appropriate components for its intended purpose.

How was that determined? Were datasheets for the raw electronic components consulted, or the circuitry reverse engineered? Again, not trying to be a wiseguy, but just trying to pin down the specifics of how these findings were arrived at. Unlike computer design engineering, audio electronics can have very subtle differences which can mean a lot, or not a lot depending on the overall design. Laymen just opening up a unit and saying that they look different or not different inside is really meaningless.

Zing said:
Is anyone able to discern anything from this photo?

Not much other than it appears to be a preamp, has several power supplies which use linear regulators (at least one is bipolar), uses dual IC opamps for the line outputs which have their B+/B- fed by copper bus-bars (with local power supply bypassing), has some video circuitry (or perhaps an FM tuner) which is shielded for EMI, that the uppermost circuit board appears to be the audio/video DSP (there's a Dolby chip), the front panel display PCB appears to be the one on the extreme right. I could go on, but without being able to read the part numbers on the ICs and do some disassembly, its hard to get more specific about exactly what is going on where.

While I did say "we determined...", I guess I should've said "it was determined...". I merely read what others said and, based on my view of the accompanying pictures, took their word for it and bought one. But what I saw in pictures lent credence to the words I read.

For instance, the power supply in the pre/pro was surrounded by nothing yet the PS in the receiver had loads of chips and boards around it which I deemed as good and not good, respectively. Then there was the absence of inverted, crammed-together power modules which were not creating heat that affected other components. And their absence allowed the extra space for a new, different and presumably better layout. However, I understand your point and you're right - it could be the same circuit just arranged differently.

Of all the articles I have read comparing Anthem to the Integra/Onkyo surround processors, the only negative feed back was the weakness of the Interga/Onkyo's analog processing. On the other hand, the digital processing was always praised, along with the many features offered, which intially (Integra DCH 9.8/Onkyo PR-SC885P) layed the surround processing community on its ass.

If the assessment is the analog weakness is worth an additional $5,200.00, I'd say purchase the Anthem, since they have added the new decoding features and HDMI.

Integra DHC-80.1 Surround Processor

Rope

Zing said:
Flint said:
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why on Earth would you downgrade to a receiver?

I could use the receiver to power my surround speakers and thereby eliminate the need for one of my amps. I think you would agree that a $900 Parasound Halo A23 is a complete waste on surround channels.

The Denon in particular has HDCD decoding and a proprietary analog processing (Advanced AL24) that my Integra doesn't and that I'd like to have. It also has a feature called Personal Memory that saves configuration settings based on the soundfield and source input selected as opposed to one-size-fits-all that I really miss having.

I'd be able to run my sub hot for movie codecs and never have to adjust it while keeping it perfectly balanced with the other speakers when in Stereo mode for music. The same applies to the crossover settings too. I prefer a lower point when listening to music than I do when watching movies.

Zing, don't let Flint discourage you, what the hell does that guy kinow anyway. I think you are absolutely on the right track and if you decide to get rid of your pre/pro I think you should put me at the top of your list, unless heeman already has dibs.

I think you would be happy with the Dennon, but don't you think a quality piece like the Yamaha RX-V2500 would be better. :laughing-rolling: Heck we could make a trade...

Hope I'm not speaking out of line here, but I recall Flint having someone he knows dig into one of the Onkyo 885's before buying and was told it was well built.

Zing, sell the amp and get something from Parasounds Classic line.

Rope said:

from the link....

".....While you can fully operate the inputs, volume, and settings from the front panel, Integra still doesn’t include a dimmer that completely turns off the front-panel display. The dimmer considerably reduces the front panel’s overall brightness, but my bat cave theater room demands total darkness........."

I know it's not our Batman, but I thought it was odd both have a batcave.

That new pre/pro looks very promising, but what do you lose by downgrading to the 40.2?

^ The 40.2 I believe shares many of the same features but eliminates the xlr connections...

Batman said:
^ The 40.2 I believe shares many of the same features but eliminates the xlr connections...
You're correct about the XLR connections. Additionally, the 40 has 7.2 channels whereas the 80 has 9.2. Then there's a long list of miscellaneous differences like SNR and general processing bells and whistles.

Zing said:
Batman said:
You're correct about the XLR connections. Additionally, the 40 has 7.2 channels whereas the 80 has 9.2. Then there's a long list of miscellaneous differences like SNR and general processing bells and whistles.

What's the price on it? I'm hoping without the XLRs and second pair of back surround channel outputs, that it will be a lot lower than $2300. If the price is right, I may have to make that an end of the year gift for myself.

Yesfan70 said:
Zing said:
Batman said:

What's the price on it? I'm hoping without the XLRs and second pair of back surround channel outputs, that it will be a lot lower than $2300. If the price is right, I may have to make that an end of the year gift for myself.
Better yet, IF they release an Onkyo version and B and I can help you do even better on the price...

jamhead said:
Soundhound's "the man".......

That's all I'm sayin'
Fat.jpg

You've gained a little bit of weight and the hair is a little longer but, otherwise, that's the Soundhound I've always known. The mooseknuckle is new though. :teasing-tease:

Just read a review of the 40.2. Wow.

:text-link:

I think when summer starts to close to an end, and where I am financially, the 40.2 may be my next upgrade. The only thing I worry about is that slight pop it does when locking on an audio signal (page 3, 6th paragraph). Hopefully that is something worked out by the time I'm ready to buy.

Yesfan70 said:

I think when summer starts to close to an end, and where I am financially, the 40.2 may be my next upgrade. The only thing I worry about is that slight pop it does when locking on an audio signal (page 3, 6th paragraph). Hopefully that is something worked out by the time I'm ready to buy.

Is there a compatible Onkyo version?

-B- said:
Yesfan70 said:

Is there a compatible Onkyo version?

I don't think so. Bats mentioned that earlier, so I'm wondering if that's something Onkyo will release soon.

Back