• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Preamp/Processors Available???

I'm not sure that they will at all, in the review of the 40.2, they said it was a second gen version and Onkyo definitely didn't last year. It would seem logical given the parallels between Integra and Onkyo pro but I haven't been able to dig up anything to indicate an Onkyo version will be released in the US...

Batman said:
I'm not sure that they will at all, in the review of the 40.2, they said it was a second gen version and Onkyo definitely didn't last year. It would seem logical given the parallels between Integra and Onkyo pro but I haven't been able to dig up anything to indicate an Onkyo version will be released in the US...

Hopefully that will change in the next few months. If so, then you guys will be getting a call from me near the end of Summer.

I did find a place in Chattanooga that sells the 40.2, but I think the store that has it (like most higher end A/V stores here) only deal with custom installations and are not equipped to have anything in their showroom to demo like a traditional A/V store would have.

Why would you need to demo it? I highly doubt that the average person could hear a difference between it and another in a showroom environment. All that matters is the features and interface and reviews should cover that pretty well.

Towen7 said:
Why would you need to demo it? I highly doubt that the average person could hear a difference between it and another in a showroom environment. All that matters is the features and interface and reviews should cover that pretty well.

I guess when I say demo, I mean more of a 'test drive' and not a comparison to another pre/pro.

I know that probably doesn't matter either if it's going to be something I would have to order online. Still, sometimes I like to get out and just be able to see it in the flesh if I know a store around me carries it.

Towen,

Apparently, you had a post I was going to reply to, but you pulled it for some reason. here was my reply:

If the price at that store is reasonable, then yeah sure I would buy it from them first. I could have saved a bit more money with my Denon AVR-3803 receiver and DVD-2200 by getting it online as opposed to my local Tweeter. Instead, I went with my local Tweeter store as it wasn't going to be that much higher than going online. Also, since I was already in town, I could take it home with me and set it up that night and not have to wait for it to arrive at my doorstep a few days later.

Com' on man, give me a little bit of credit. :doh:

PS: I wasn't offended or anything, if that was the reason you pulled it.

It sounded judgmental and that wasn't my intent so I pulled it to avoid offending not only you, but anyone else that might have taken my comment the wrong way. It's easier just to just bite my tongue than have to explain.

Towen7 said:
It sounded judgmental and that wasn't my intent so I pulled it to avoid offending not only you, but anyone else that might have taken my comment the wrong way. It's easier just to just bite my tongue than have to explain.

Totally understand and I probably should have done the same thing looking back on it now. My apologies if my last reply seemed to call you out (wasn't my intent).

I was researching a little into mixers and balanced output. Here is part of a segment.

You can convert the simple unbalanced preamp output to balanced circuit with one of the following tricks:
- Use a DI box to convert unbalanced signal to balanced microphone level signal
- An audio transformer is a classic way to convert unbalanced to balanced
- Balanced opamp output circuit can convert unbalanced to balanced (more modern approach but more components)
In addition to those there is not so widely mentioned impedance-balanced output option:
1. Figure out the output impedance of your unbalanced signal source. Usually looking at the circuit diagram of the device will tell you that easily. If you don’t have that, you can always measure the output impedance.
2. Pick a resistor that has same resistance as the output impedance of your unbalanced output (as close as possible… preferably within 1% accuracy).
3. Wire the unbalanced output signal to XLR pin 2 (+).
4. Wire ground to XLR pin 1 (ground).
5. Wire that resistor you just selected between XLR pins3 (-) and pin 1 (ground).
Now you have a impedance-balanced output. It is not exactly as good as a real balanced output, but performs pretty close a real balanced output in normal applications. You can use the same idea also with 6.3 mm jacks: signal goes to tip and the resistor to ring. An impedance balanced output with 6.3 mm jacks works as well as an unbalanced output if that is what is needed (just plug in a cable with mono plug).

Impedance-balanced principle has been used some professional electret mics and on outputs of some “budget” mixers! Just by adding one resistor an unbalanced output is converted to impedance balanced output that works very well with all equipment that has balanced inputs.

So if a manufacturer wanted to bambozal a consumer he could get away with selling a system at twice the price by adding a resistor and balanced connector!

malsackj said:
Here is the diagram

For that circuit to be effective, you need to use twisted pair wire with the ground not attached to the shield at the far end; i.e. the shield is not a signal carrying conductor.

Correct and for a less expensive option of providing balanced you can be given the choice of inserting a Tip Ring Sleeve (TRS) to send as balanced twisted pair and ground or you can pick the Tip Sleeve (TS) and have unbalanced because pin 3 shorts to ground.

This is why this has become popular on the less expensive gear. It also will keep reliable for balanced and unbalanced alike. One of the points here was that a simple resistor and a change of the jack from 1/4 unbalanced Tip Sleeve to a stereo headphone type jack (TRS) is all that is required for the manufacturer to create a system that can say it has balanced output and then charge the consumer twice the price and say it is pro/grade.

malsackj said:
Correct and for a less expensive option of providing balanced you can be given the choice of inserting a Tip Ring Sleeve (TRS) to send as balanced twisted pair and ground or you can pick the Tip Sleeve (TS) and have unbalanced because pin 3 shorts to ground.

This is why this has become popular on the less expensive gear. It also will keep reliable for balanced and unbalanced alike. One of the points here was that a simple resistor and a change of the jack from 1/4 unbalanced Tip Sleeve to a stereo headphone type jack (TRS) is all that is required for the manufacturer to create a system that can say it has balanced output and then charge the consumer twice the price and say it is pro/grade.

Actually, the only circuit which a manufacturer can legitamately call "balanced" is that which uses an actual transformer. When the signal is split electronically, it is called differential. At any rate, when I was an engineer at JBL, they used a very similar circuit in some of the Soundcraft mixing consoles and called it "ground compensated". Its a poor man's substitute.

Back