• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Projection screen

How far away are you sitting from the wall in that pic? Is it also 10-11ft like the projo? I know you don't want a fixed screen, but if it were me, I would just get the biggest 2.35:1 screen I could that would fit that wall and be done with it. Seems like you don't mind keeping the option of it being an "audio only" room if you have to, so that tells me the video side might not be as important, especially if this is going to be specifically for Bluray use.

Towen7 said:
Zing said:
Towen7 said:
You'd still need a Panamorph lens though, right?
Not if he chooses a projector with lens memory/aspect ratio detection. With those, he can dial in a 2.35:1 image, set it, and then dial in a separate 16:9 image and set it. Then depending on the PJ he has, it'll either detect it on its own and display the correct image and size or he can press a button and it'll happen.

That's why I love you man!

I need to see if my JVC works that way. The expense and complication of the sled/lens is one (of several) reasosn I haven't upgraded to a 2.35:1 yet.
If I'm correct, it's the "memory" feature that's important. There's nothing stopping you from zooming the image and re-focusing to accommodate a 2.35:1 ratio...it's just a pain in the ass. The HD250 has the vertical stretch mode to work in conjunction with a lens but no "memory" feature.

... and your projecting black bars above and below the screen.

For a minute there I didn't think about the pj's native aspect ratio being fixed at 16:9.

Pretty much.....all of them are.

Yesfan - I'm wanting a retractable screen so that it is out of view when listening to music...I don't want to stare at a large white screen....much the same as I don't want to stare at a flat screen display either. The bare wall will have some artwork on it as soon as I can find something I enjoy. I'm about 12 feet from the wall. This room will always be an audio room first...followed by an HT. For that reason I don't want to drop serious coin on the display, but am exhausting all options to maximize what I can. In other words, if I put a display in this room, I want it to have that HT feel without having large sums of money go to it......I would rather the money go towards audio upgrades.

The more I look into it, the more I think a 2.35 may be out of the picture. It severely limits my PJ, I'd be at the min. throw distance (no room for error), MAY see pixilation at my viewing distance, and the light output would be diminished. The room itself will have some ambient light during football viewing, and the like, but dark for blu-rays. But, I'll need to research more screens before I can determine for sure...I'll need a higher gain 2.35 than a 16.9. I do like the idea of a 2.35. I measured last night and a 103" 2.35 would completely fill the space between my speakers....that's a big f'n screen.

Thank you everyone for letting me bounce ideas off you and for your contributions. It is helping me tremendously.

Zing said:
Have you considered an acoustically transparent screen? You'll be able to accommodate a 100+ inch screen without fears of covering your center channel?
The man's a freakin' genius. In fact ANYONE who would suggest such a thing must have godlike powers.

Just saying...

Jeff

OK, I'm going to throw some off the wall ideas out that you really may not like but here we go anyway.

I understand your point about not wanting to look at a white screen all the time (I do look at one and would probably prefer not to if I had a choice - which is where my idea comes from). What if you hung black curtains across the front of the room from opening to opening? When you want to watch a movie you "open" the curtains by putting them on the outside of the screen on the wall (this also stops any light coming in from the windows). When you're not watching a movie, the curtains could be covering just the screen or the entire area behind the speakers etc.

My other thought is one you really won't like but, what if that were the BACK of the room?

John

I just got back from 4 nights at the beach with the family on a much needed getaway.

So...sorry for the delayed response John, but thank you for your ideas. As always, I appreciate any ideas and cannot be offended...so if anyone has more...keep them coming.

I like your initial idea John, and actually, my wife and I were talking last weekend and we decided to go with a fixed screen. Due to the lack of a casing, we can gain about 6" of height, so a 92" fixed will fit easily, and I may be able to go larger. We are now trying to come up with ideas on how to make it look good, which is leading to changing colors of the room, add drapery options, etc.

I like the idea of drapes covering the screen, but (hard to tell from picture) it will be difficult to achieve due to the ceiling cutouts on the dormers. They extend beyond the main speakers and quite far into the room. We'll have to come up with something.

Flipping the room won't happen, as the overall shape of the room (ceiling) lends itself to best sound with the current configuration. We're set up along the long wall, so bass is a problem, but I'm going to add considerably more bass trapping to help. I have minimal side wall reflections, so I will also have to work on the ceiling.

One question I do have though that's quite important. I have concerns with a fixed screen hindering stereo imaging performance. Does anyone know how far in front of the screen should the main speakers be to not impact imaging? I love the imaging my speakers give in this configuration (the illusion is quite surreal) and don't want to give that up. The larger I go on the screen, the closer I have to move it to the seat....so the closer it gets to the speaker baffle.

Thanks for any info. or any additional ideas as well. I appreciate all the input from everyone.

jamhead said:
One question I do have though that's quite important. I have concerns with a fixed screen hindering stereo imaging performance. Does anyone know how far in front of the screen should the main speakers be to not impact imaging? I love the imaging my speakers give in this configuration (the illusion is quite surreal) and don't want to give that up. The larger I go on the screen, the closer I have to move it to the seat....so the closer it gets to the speaker baffle.
Maybe I've missed something but I'm confused by your quandary.

You currently have satisfactory imaging with a flat, empty wall between your speakers. How does mounting a flat object on that wall cause you imaging concerns?

IMG_1434.jpg

The screen will be hung from the ceiling about 18" in front of the wall. If I want to go bigger, I have to move the screen up the ceiling, further from the wall and closer to the speaker baffles.

Maybe this angle of the ceiling/wall will help?

The wall between the speakers is 76". My screen will be approx. 84" and extend past that wall.

IMG_1428.jpg

From the screen's potential position....9.5 to 10 feet.

114" between speakers and we sit 118" from them.

I really think you should consider a smaller screen. I don't see mounting a fixed frame to the ceiling - to the point where there's 18" of wasted space behind it - working well or looking good, especially if you're pleased with the present sound.

I say settle for either an 84" 1.78 screen or an 80" 2.35.

Thanks for the opinion Zing. I'm trying to fight that option by thinking of any possible scenario that could be done to avoid that. To be honest, if I have to "settle" by decreasing the screen size where I may say "I wish the screen could be bigger...." , I may just by-pass the HT idea.

We'll see.....My wife is "all in" right now, so hopefully she can come up with something. However, I will not sacrifice audio at all, so with that......we'll see.

Back