• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Projection screen

I recommend that you at least consider the Draper Salara Plug & Play.

http://www.draperinc.com/ProjectionScreens/ScreensProducts.asp?detail=256

Even with your slanted ceiling you could easily hang one by simply making a couple of angled brackets / pieces out of a length of steel bar stock from Home Despot. (I did that and mounted mine to my ceiling, rather than the front wall, since I used their AT1200 material and needed it to drop in front of the centre stack of speakers.)

Thanks for asking Zing.

Not very well, to be honest. My wife and I are continuing to evaluate the room and figure out how to make it work...functionally AND aesthetically. We're looking at paint, materials, etc., etc. However, it's currently on hold as we have a couple other projects we need to complete first (and we just bought a new washer/dryer as our other dryer gave out a couple weeks ago)...so, perfect timing..as always.

Also keeping an eye out for good deals on projectors. I'm pretty much sold on JVC... probably their RS45 or 46 models (though, I had an opportunity for a good price on a 4800...but may pass on that one).

I've talked with our resident acoustics expert and he made me feel a little better, but will probably continue to discuss with him before I make any moves. Hopefully soon I'll make a move and begin the project.

I just received info on a 3D Mitsubishi (HC8000D) on promo with a free bulb...it lists for $4000 and I can sell it around $2k shipped. I really don't know anything about it and quantities are limited at this distributor but it may be worth researching. That goes for anyone else here also...

Thank you Batman...I'll keep that in mind. My immediate concern would be light output (though, on a 92" screen...may be good enough) and placement flexibility (lack thereof). However, blacks, color, and 3D are supposed to be really good.

I've seen that PJ for 2999, but without the extra lamp. Now, if it also had the 3D essentials at that price.....

That's a tricky room. How about a pull down that ends up just above the centre speaker? I had a pull down that was quite nice until it developed ripples. But to be fair, it was one my wife dragged home from work (free), so I am guessing it was fairly abused!! Or , rather than spend the big bucks on a rectractable electric, you get a fixed frame. You mount the top to the ceiling on some sort of pivot, let it hang down, again just above the centre speaker. When you aren't watching, swing the bottom up and mount to the ceiling?? Does that make sense? Is that just plain goofy??
Mike
PS: Sometimes my ideas only make sense to me...and are usually bad ideas!!

Back