• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Prometheus

This is out very soon, I've read (but haven't confirmed) this a pseudo-prequel to the Alien(s) franchise...is this true? I'm kinda looking forward to this movie since I'm not terribly interested in much else 'til Spider-Man and TDKR.

This is from IMDB...

"Was originally intended as a prequel to Ridley Scott's "Alien", but Scott decided to turn it into an original film with Naomi Rapace (who was already set to star) still in the cast as one of five main characters. Some time later however it was confirmed that while the movie will take place in the same universe as Alien and greatly reference that movie, it will mostly be an original movie and not a direct prequel."

Read a little tidbit the other day, that both Prometheus and the Firefly were made by the same company. Something about a bootup screen on Firefly showing the same emblem as the company that made the Prometheus, just in the movie though, not in real life, if that makes sense.

I've seen trailer in IMAX 3D (before the Avengers) four times now. I'm definitely interested in seeing it.

prometheus1-3804.jpg

Rope

Okay I'm no longer contemplating, I'm going :banana-rock: gotta love fandango...

With the time difference Bats should be just entering the theater. Have fun buddy.

LIGHT SPOILERS

Just a big "meh" for me, it was okay. I was hoping to like it a helluva lot more I can tell you. The 3d was good (on par with but not quite as good as Avatar in that regard). I think the pace was a tad slow at times and there was no BIG payoff for waiting around for something awesome to happen. The action & suspense was a little lacking. There were some really good moments and a few WTF moments, and scenes that garnered laughs that I'm not sure that was the intention. There weren't a ton a references to the Alien films but one very big one at the end that felt, to me, incredibly forced. It did have kind of an "Alien(s)" vibe as far as the atmosphere was concerned.

Although I enjoy the first two Aliens films when I stumble across them, I'm not a huge fan of the "sci-fi horror" genre. I was hoping this film would give me a reason to become a bigger fan and it didn't. I'm not sure what big fans will think of this one, because it's clear that despite it's loose connections and references to Alien(s), the intentions are a little different as a story... :twocents-mytwocents:

SPOILERS IN THIS POST!!!!!

Okay just got back from watching the movie and overall I loved it (great homage to the original Alien) but here is where Ridley Scott let me down on several points.

1. The planet they landed on in "Prometheus" was LV-243 while on the original "Alien" movie it was LV-421 (which was mentioned in the movie "Aliens" when Ripley is being interrogated - "There have been TerraFormers on LV-421 for decades and nobody's complained").

2. In Alien when the crew of the Nostromo land and inspect the crashed ship they find the large humanoid alien in the Captain's chair yet in "Prometheus" he is killed in the escape pod medical ward and this is evident when the first true "Alien" who btw is almost full grown crawls out of the humanoid alien. Yet in "Alien" the chest burster escaped while the humanoid alien was sitting in the captain's chair, One of the crew of the Nostromo in "Alien" clearly says, "It looks like something burst it's way out from the inside, look at how his ribs are broken outward".

3. In Prometheus the warning is given by the female survivor in plain English to stay away from the planet, yet in the movie "Alien" the crew of the Nostromo couldn't decipher the warning till it was too late (they thought it was a distress call) and didn't decipher the warning in the Humanoid Alien language till the face hugger was already brought on board the Nostromo, yet in "Prometheus" she clearly gives the warning in English.

Overall I loved the movie and thought the pace was similar to the original. Great special effects and will buy this one when it comes out on Bluray.

I knew I should've watched the original Alien before seeing Prometheus...I popped it in last night and definitely overlooked some elements. I haven't watched and broken down all the details of the Alien series like Star Wars or Batman etc so I definitely missed some more direct references than I realized...Doesn't change my ho-hum thoughts on the movie though.

Saw it today. Being a fan of Alien and Aliens, it was very entertaining to me. The audio is set high in this movie. My ears still hurt. I don't know if that will be transferred the same way to the disc. Reviews mention plot holes but I would call them discussion generator. Ridley Scott is very good at that and in turn, it generates more publicity thus more sales and profit. It's visually fantastic and pace was good IMO. Definitely a "purchase" category.

Here's a funny reaction from viewer/s. Spoiler warning: http://enchantedmitten.blogspot.com/200 ... eries.html

This is a very good looking film, I really liked the wide screen shots of the space ships inside and out and the landscape scenes. The 3D part was okay but have seen better. The story could have definitely been better, so I agree mostly with Bat's.

One thing I thought was off in the story, the crew seemed like just some random people kind of thrown together. Their was no unit cohesion or sense of order, to me anyway. If you keep your expectations of the story line low and just enjoy the ride you will probably like the movie.

All in all i liked it but not much as I wanted to.  In the beginning I really appreciated the little visual elements that tied Prometheus to Alien. Later some of these elements seemed tacked-on. There were weird gaps in the film that that I found jarring. I don't understand the choice to use a young man in make-up to play Weyland. I don't understand why David wanted to infect anyone unless it was just revenge because he was insulted.  The story was written well and we could debate if it was supposed to be symbolic of deeper meaning. Still... I liked it but not enough to want to see it over and over again. 

Back