• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Prometheus

Ya'll way over analyze. My wife, the research scientist, does the same thing. I just say, it's a movie, it wasn't in the script, it doesn't answer life's questions. It is a way to kill a couple hours with distraction.

Having said that, I did watch it last night and liked it. It is a stand alone movie and not a prequel to Aliens. It may have originally started that way but evolved away from that concept during script writing. It is in the same universe running on a parallel path. If it was a true prequel the "space jockey" pilot would be left in his pilots chair to have an alien burst out and leave his corpse to be found in the first Aliens movie. Still, I did like it for what it was and there are some serious LFE in this movie. I had to turn the sub down to keep from shaking the house to much.

I am right on with Wardsweb!

When I pop in a movie it is for shear entertainment, yea, sometimes I ask questions about "why" and "how" but then I remember that it is just a movie.....

:text-imsorry:

i get y'all too, sometimes, its just great to watch a movie. then again, sometimes its nice to have some provocation or a general conversation about it...

my questions probably would be

spoiler alert!!!

1. the creation of humans were an end result of 'testing' the said nuke or killing stuff, and the 'engineer' that died was a 'test agent'... they didnt anticipate that this would cause his dna to 'evolve' into a human. better yet, explain the first scene for me if you please.

2. what happened to the original alien? the one who ate the engineer? the octopus looking one?

a shot at towens questions.

Why bother trying to kill the human race off in the first place and not just just starting over somewhere else?

they didnt. they were probably trying to, but didnt want them to 'see' the engineers at this point. think watchers in marvel comic books. cant be seen.

If they hated humans so much, why would they leave a map to show us where they came from?

pass, this one i cant comprehend either. my initial assumption we were mistakes or a by product of the test drink they gave the engineer.

Why hasn't the creator's technolgy advanced at the same pace that the human's had? They left humans alone a few centuries ago humans acquired the technology to travel to LV-whatever. How did they not see us coming?

i think it was because the engineer, the last one, was asleep?

Why would Weyland lie about his death?

to give them something to work on, without knowing the 'real' intentions.

Why wouldn't Weyland just stay asleep until his staff could ensure that the creators were "good"?

no more time left... it was one of those now or never moments.

Towen7 said:
My questions:
Why bother trying to kill the human race off in the first place and not just just starting over somewhere else?
If they hated humans so much, why would they leave a map to show us where they came from?
Why hasn't the creator's technolgy advanced at the same pace that the human's had? They left humans alone a few centuries ago humans acquired the technology to travel to LV-whatever. How did they not see us coming?
Why would Weyland lie about his death?
Why wouldn't Weyland just stay asleep until his staff could ensure that the creators were "good"?
As I said,
DIYer said:
Ah ha, but to get some answers to the quoted parts above, it will require multiple viewing. :eusa-whistle:
At least it did for me.

Ridley Scott is good at making people question / talk about his work, even long after the release. It's another way to generate publicity and profit.

This movie has spawned many discussion sites. Here's one for geeks (it's long winded, only those who are geek enough can go through it, I couldn't). http://www.chud.com/100388/stealing-fir ... rometheus/

awe. some.

man, that thread looks awesome. but i cant read all of it. im at work. this needs serious tablet+crapper time...

totally out of my league man... for those who might be able to 'translate' it, give me a holler.

^ Copy & paste to your laptop or whatever portable means and save it for the time when you are stuck at the airport or something similar.

P. Weyland /PVM/PRS/LOG-CRG/2090.01.14/TRS-MARS_gtt91
Views: 2
Encrypt: Max
Priority: High
Links: Weyland Security, YutaniCorp, BioWeapDiv, XenoSciDiv, AstroCartography, 2 other private links

/Dictated but not read/BEGIN

Dr. Shaw and Dr. Holloway's findings on the evidence they've uncovered are only mildly interesting to me. And yet, after all these years, they have indeed pointed us in the right direction. But I have no intention of spending my remaining days by wasting a trillion dollars on a mission to a star system 39 light years away based solely on a leap of faith by a wide-eyed, God-fearing archeologist.

As fate would have it, Shaw and Holloway's interest in Zeta 2 Reticuli has proved to be mutually beneficial. While the good doctors rely on ancient carvings and primitive cave paintings, mys science division's own long range scans have recently detected a faint, almost imperceptible signal emanating from one of the lesser moons in that system. And contrary to the findings of Shaw and Holloway, which target LV-223 as our primary source of interest, our findings suggest the point of origin could actually be LV-426.

Per standard procedure, we will embed a David 8 unit with the crew. And he will be programmed with multiple contingency plans to address and exploit whatever assets we secure on 223. But only David will know about 426 and will ensure that the rest of the crew learn nothing about the transmissions we've recently discovered until the time is right.

For if Yutani's new ECIU software is to be trusted, there might be great risk awaiting us on the path to an even greater reward.

--END--

Towen7 said:
P. Weyland /PVM/PRS/LOG-CRG/2090.01.14/TRS-MARS_gtt91
Views: 2
Encrypt: Max
Priority: High
Links: Weyland Security, YutaniCorp, BioWeapDiv, XenoSciDiv, AstroCartography, 2 other private links

/Dictated but not read/BEGIN

Dr. Shaw and Dr. Holloway's findings on the evidence they've uncovered are only mildly interesting to me. And yet, after all these years, they have indeed pointed us in the right direction. But I have no intention of spending my remaining days by wasting a trillion dollars on a mission to a star system 39 light years away based solely on a leap of faith by a wide-eyed, God-fearing archeologist.

As fate would have it, Shaw and Holloway's interest in Zeta 2 Reticuli has proved to be mutually beneficial. While the good doctors rely on ancient carvings and primitive cave paintings, mys science division's own long range scans have recently detected a faint, almost imperceptible signal emanating from one of the lesser moons in that system. And contrary to the findings of Shaw and Holloway, which target LV-223 as our primary source of interest, our findings suggest the point of origin could actually be LV-426.

Per standard procedure, we will embed a David 8 unit with the crew. And he will be programmed with multiple contingency plans to address and exploit whatever assets we secure on 223. But only David will know about 426 and will ensure that the rest of the crew learn nothing about the transmissions we've recently discovered until the time is right.

For if Yutani's new ECIU software is to be trusted, there might be great risk awaiting us on the path to an even greater reward.

--END--

:?

Just watched the Bluray and discovered something interesting about religion in the movie. Naturally the female lead character wears her fathers cross and strongly believes in God but what I find interesting is at the start of the movie it shows the humanoid man creating life by drinking the mixture and his body falls into the ocean thus creating the building blocks of man and evolution. Then we find it is now the year 2094 and when the crew carbon date the headless humanoid they date it back around 2000 years. Then we find out the ship infested with death was prepping to return to Earth to kill us all when things went wrong for the humanoid crew and they couldn't return to Earth to kill us. I thought the timing was strange but if the crew had succeeded they would've killed off man approximately the time of Jesus and I think that's why they wanted to kill off man. Since the alien humanoids created us they didn't want God getting the credit according to the timeline. This is also reinforced when the crew is taken out of stasis and the first thing the captain does is put up a Christmas tree ( in the deleted scene they emphasize the baby Jesus being put on the tree ).

Other interesting tidbit is in the Extras under "The Weyland Files" we learn that Weyland's boss and Mentor was the creator of the Nexus robots from "Blade Runner" thought that was nice tie in to Ridley Scott's other classic movie.

So ... The engineers want to wipe humans off the planet and start over on a project that took tens of thousands of years because they want credit?

Really?

Towen7 said:
So ... The engineers want to wipe humans off the planet and start over on a project that took tens of thousands of years because they want credit?

Really?

i think thats the thing tho, they didnt create us on purpose. the 'engineer' left behind was a test subject for the weapon of mass destruction, but fell into the water and er... 'recreated' itself into another form of dna.

i THINK they wanted to get back to destroy us because we arent 'them'. we werent supposed to exist, and they wanted to tie up loose ends.

Tom why not even you have to ponder all the religious references in the movie. They mention God several times, show the Christmas tree. The cross is more than just a prop and even the boyfriend of the lead scientist (hero) has a tattoo of a cross on his arm. Then it turns out the aliens were planning to destroy mankind at the time Jesus was walking the planet it just seems to me a little too coincidence for me.

Oh, there are definitely religious references. No doubt. I'm just saying that killing off humans for a perceived lack of "credit" ain't one of them.

I like the theory too. Its just wrong.... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

From lurking around those Prometheus sites, the consensus I observed is about the crucifixion of Jesus. IOW, this movie portrays Jesus as one of the engineers ("God") who was sent to us as an ambassador but we (humans) killed him. Then the engineers saw the futility of their effort to salvage us (one of their creations) about 2000 years ago and decided to pull the plug by purging us. At least that's the interpretation many have posted. :confusion-shrug:

This thread has officially made my brain hurt and now I'm not sure I want to see the movie! I just don't tend to enjoy a movie that makes you come to your own conclusions.

:doh:

^ No one can say how exactly it will play out for you. Only way to find out is to see it for yourself.

Back