• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Prometheus

I'm not convinced those answers (and many more that I want) are there and needing repeated viewings of multiple films starts to sound like work that I just don't want to put into it.

Towen7 said:
I'm not convinced those answers (and many more that I want) are there
Without re-watching, one will never know for sure... :think:

Also, there are extra material on Blu-ray.

I think perhaps some, but not all, answers will be filled in in the sequel(s). I fully expect a direct link from the last sequel to the original Alien film when all is said and done...

i was going to reply in the movies ive watched today thread, but saw this had a dedicated thread so why not..

first off, not really a justifiable fan of the alien movies, i love aliens, and heck, i loved resurrection. but im not really into depth with everything in the alien universe.

it was nice to 'revisit' what matt said, but it didnt retract too much as batman mentioned.

i felt the movies SQ was superb, very small nuances are shown in the surrounds, which was perfect. the bass man, it was so intense it probably had enough to cover up captain america. ;)

it felt short for me, kinda like what bats initially said, it was er... meh.

again, not a big fan of aliens, so maybe thats why.

anyways, i have questions, including the david thing... but that can be answered later on.

enjoy your sunday folks.

These days, R rated sci-fi movie is a rare item (R rated movie is rare in general now). When they do make it, it tends to have more complexity than movies made for younger viewers. This one in particular, has too much crammed in for 2 hrs, IMO. It goes at a quick pace which is ok with me but I felt that it could have been about 15 minutes longer and would still be acceptable length.

Yeah... The "gaps" I was referring to we're probably deleted scenes cut for time. I think Bats is right and the intent may have been to include one more movie between Prometheus and Alien.

So I rented this today - am I hearing correctly it would be good to rewatch Alien first?

^ No. It's supposed to take place before Alien. Keep in mind, it's called prequel but only in terms of the timeline of the events.

DIYer said:
^ No. It's supposed to take place before Alien. Keep in mind, it's called prequel but only in terms of the timeline of the events.
I knew Promethius is a prequell time wise but then how come Bats said he should have watched Alien before seeing Promethius?
I am a bit confused.

MZ, I wasn't intimately familiar with Alien and after re-watching it I realized I missed some clear-as-day ties to it during my first viewing of Prometheus...I don't think it's critical one way or the other.

mzpro5 said:
I knew Promethius is a prequell time wise but then how come Bats said he should have watched Alien before seeing Promethius?
I am a bit confused.
When Batman posts reviews on Batman movies and other movies directed by Chris Nolan, that's the one to read about. ;)
But when he posts reviews on Ridley Scott's movies... :snooty:
j/k

:teasing-neener:

For movies with not much of plot but has lots of bass, guess who? Hint, it's not Ashley. :laughing:

Bass is right!

I only recall the can-lights in my room rattling one or two times before. There were several scenes in Prometheus that did that, even with the levels set at relatively low levels (-10 db so so).

yup, the bass was significantly there most of the time, and at times it was a bit too much for my bass enhanced placement in the corner subwoofer :teasing-tease:

in seriousness, mzpro you COULD watch alien first, but its not necessary i think. as long as you're famliar with the series, you should be okay. i think.

^ Alien being 1979 release, I'm sure he's seen it already. For that matter, I think it may cause overdose to watch it again before Prometheus.

mz may be watching one or the other right now as we discuss this. I get the feeling that it's too late. :|

DIYer said:
^ Alien being 1979 release, I'm sure he's seen it already. For that matter, I think it may cause overdose to watch it again before Prometheus.

mz may be watching one or the other right now as we discuss this. I get the feeling that it's too late. :|

true, but i didnt even bother as well. nonetheless, this lies in er... another side of town so to speak. altho related, its not essential in appreciating the story. despite being bland and all.

We watched it last night and would give the story a 7.5.

The Audio a 9

The Video a 9

Will watch it again in a couple of weeks to catch some of the details that we missed.

DIYer said:

That is exactly what I was doing. Had some time so watched Alien and then Promethius. Good way to do it IMO.

I really liked Promethius. Didn't think the pacing was slow at all. Stellar PQ and SQ.

SPOILERS. SPOILERS. SPOILERS

There do seem to be some contradictions but I think there will definitely be at least one more film.

Regarding the LV-421 and LV-243 seeming contradiction - who's to say the "engineers" didn't have several planetoids used to store aliens?

I really like the first two Alien movies and think this is a very worthy addition to the franchise.

Well I bought it and watched it for the other night.

Over all,
It was "ok" Visually a stunning movie. I was just left with too many questions... Who are the makers? Why do they want to kill us? WTF happened? And these don't seem to be the same Aliens.. except at the end and I didn't like that "birth".

I'll watch it again... cuz I own it.

SPOILERS AHEAD.....

Razz said:
... I was just left with too many questions... Who are the makers? Why do they want to kill us? WTF happened? And these don't seem to be the same Aliens.. except at the end and I didn't like that "birth".

I'll watch it again... cuz I own it.

I asked myself the same questions. The robot servant David asks Doctor Holloway "Why did humans create me?" The Doctor answers "because we could" but IMHO the answer should have been "to serve us". The creators made the human race to serve theirs. As to why they'd want to kill us; if the intent was to build an inferior species to serve a master race it had to be a failure. Human kind had become far too willful and war loving to be good servants.

The birthed Alien isn't the same as the ones we see later because thats what they evolve to be. These are V1 Aliens.

My questions:
Why bother trying to kill the human race off in the first place and not just just starting over somewhere else?
If they hated humans so much, why would they leave a map to show us where they came from?
Why hasn't the creator's technolgy advanced at the same pace that the human's had? They left humans alone a few centuries ago humans acquired the technology to travel to LV-whatever. How did they not see us coming?
Why would Weyland lie about his death?
Why wouldn't Weyland just stay asleep until his staff could ensure that the creators were "good"?

Back