• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PS4 or Xbox One?

i have a day on edition and it came broke ,they are have a big problem when they first released them.when i called the said they will send a new one out.as per new it might be new or refurb.they couldn't tell ,but i get a free download game .woopie not happy

MS is now adding to their message with commercials to point out the advantages of the Kinect, voice commands, automatic sign on....

What MS can dow with the controllers is pretty amazing. There is no controller 1, controller 2, etc. Instead the controller/console recognozes (through the Kinect) which person is holding which controller. Two players can swap controllers mid game and the system recognizes that. Cool stuff.

Realism in the game experience is really the one thing these consoles bring to the table as far as gaming goes.

While the graphics are improved, they're not so much improved that most people would notice. Once you can fill a 1080p screen effectively there's just no more places for them to go as far as resolution goes. This leaves them being able to use more shaders and put more things on the screen at once. It's not so much a visible improvement as much as a bigger feeling of immersion.

As for the community/social aspect, things have been moving more steadily in the direction of more online/multiplayer play, and while the 360 and PS3 were designed with that in mind, these are even more so.

While the XBox One is intended to be more a home entertainment gateway than the PS4 (Sony didn't really envision that role for their device), I'm not sure how many people are really wanting that kind of feature. I've seen people say that functionality is kind of neat, but it is also a bit unreliable... I'm not sure if it was fully ready for prime time.

Akula said:
I'm not sure how many people are really wanting that kind of feature.
A lot more than you think. Before the xb1 was released, people with the 360 were spending more than 50% of the time on xbox live streaming netflix/listen to music/local media playback than they did playing games.
You really are underestimating the non-gaming features of the xbox.
You can go to Playstation forums and read how many people don't like the fact that their PS4 doesn't do much else except gaming and netflix. They could do much more with their PS3. Sony has to change their stance of that.

I'll take your word for it... it's not a feature I ever used or felt I was wanting, so I've not paid much attention to it.

I just read this a an XBone Review regarding DLNA:
"If you're looking to play other disc-based media on the Xbox One, there's support for Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs. Though when it comes to DLNA support, things get a little dicey. The Xbox One only supports the Microsoft proprietary "Play To" protocol. To get the Xbox One to stream your media, it needs to be loaded into a SkyDrive account, which can be accessed through the SkyDrive app on the console."

...that doesn't sound much better than the PS4 to me...

That is a lie. I can play audio and video from my Android phone on the xb1. Your media doesnt have to be on skydrive.
What you cant do right now is not being able to browse your local media directly from the xb1. MS has promised that that feature will be added soon.

I think the review was based on the beta/pre-release version. However...I'm confused. How do you play A/V from your phone on the XBone without the ability to browse local media? Are you connected via an app and just choose the song/video to play on your phone?

I use an app called Skifta. I tell the app where my media is and where to play it (in this case the xb1). I can also push audio and video from my PCs to the xb1 but it is not the ideal solution since you need to go to your PC and do it manually.
Right now, the xb1 is a DLNA receiver only. Hopefully MS they release a patch and we'll be able to use it just like the 360.

Just wanted to bump this old thread. I think I may buy a new console after the holidays. Which is the one to get? PS4 or Xbone? Anyone on here have both?

i dont have either, but have been contemplating on both for quite sometime.

numbers show that the ps4 has been selling more over the one, but with the current price slash the one is coming up fast.

there arent that many exclusives anymore, aside from your traditional stuff from Bungee, as well as Square enix' Tomb Raider for one and naughtydogs uncharted and last of us.

You can chose either one of them, but it also depends on your 'school' so to speak. If you are used to the ps3, id continue, if you have used the 360 you'd be happy with the one.

Anyways, im sure this doesnt really add any help does it. sorry.

I didn't have a ps3 or an xbox 360. I do have a Wii and also a Wii U though. I'm leaning ps4 but the lower xbox price is appealing.

AndySTL said:
I didn't have a ps3 or an xbox 360. I do have a Wii and also a Wii U though. I'm leaning ps4 but the lower xbox price is appealing.

just a heads up tho, xboxone does charge for you to go online multiplayer. you can stream and everything else i think, but to 'battle' on other games, you need to be able to connect, thats where gold comes in. cost is around 50 i think a year? im not certain. there are 3 month subscriptions too.

ps4 also is incorporating that in certain games tho.

I was thinking about the same move about 6 months ago. At the time, every reviewer/article I read that compared them voted for PS4 (mostly based on the idea of gaming though). I was leaning towards the PS4 also, however, I didn't purchase...but again might be considering a purchase soon after the holidays.

Has the DLNA stuff changed at all? I love using my PS3 in my LR as the general player (Plex for music/videos/pictures, blu-rays, etc). Would really like the PS4 to do the same...

jomari said:
ps4 also is incorporating that in certain games tho.
Not just in some games. It's for all games. Playstation network now costs $50 a year. No more free online gaming.

id also consider tho, that almost every two years they tend to try to 'upgrade' their consoles to a newer model. but that was a general pattern i noticed. nothing in concrete unless i look further into it.

personally im waiting it out until they start on the second gen and fix the controller challenges (most of the controllers dont last as long apparently)

Back