• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pulled the trigger! Yamaha RX-V867 for $479.99 from New Egg

Re: Pulled the trigger! Yamaha RX-V867 for $479.99 from New

:happy-smileygiantred:

And to garypf:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Update:
Receiver finally arrived Wednesday. Spent about 4 hours setting it up. The longest part was using the d#$% binding posts for the speaker wire. Next time I'm getting banana plugs.
Very pleased with the unit and have barely scratched its surface. I have a couple questions about any with this particular or any
Yamaha receivers.
1. Is there supposed to be a lighted symbol on the front of the receiver indicating if it is in Dolby TruHD, DTS-Master Audio, etc.? If you pull the information on the TV's screen, it shows the bitrade and sound format.
2. how do I stream FLAC files from my computer? I know you have to use Windows Media Player. My computer is recognized, but only the internal hard drive. All my music is on external hard drives connected to the main PC. I have many live concert recordings in FLAC. One solution I think would be to connect my laptop to the receiver and the external hard drive to the laptop and use Boxee. That allows me to play FLAC files on my Macbook Pro. Another thing I noticed is among the few music files (MP3) on my internal hard drive, some are greyed out. Also, one of my videos from Iturnes is greyed out. i know I'll have to get a dock to use my iPod with this receiver.
Thank you for your help!

garypf said:
1. Is there supposed to be a lighted symbol on the front of the receiver indicating if it is in Dolby TruHD, DTS-Master Audio, etc.? If you pull the information on the TV's screen, it shows the bitrade and sound format.
2. how do I stream FLAC files from my computer?!
1. If your BD player's output is set to "bitstream", then yes, you should see the audio codec displayed.
2. I'll defer to Yesfan, Pauly et al.

2) Squeezebox. ;) Dunno how well the receiver will handle network stuff directly... I have no experience with Yamahas.

garypf said:
2. how do I stream FLAC files from my computer? I know you have to use Windows Media Player. My computer is recognized, but only the internal hard drive. All my music is on external hard drives connected to the main PC. I have many live concert recordings in FLAC. One solution I think would be to connect my laptop to the receiver and the external hard drive to the laptop and use Boxee. That allows me to play FLAC files on my Macbook Pro. Another thing I noticed is among the few music files (MP3) on my internal hard drive, some are greyed out. Also, one of my videos from Iturnes is greyed out. i know I'll have to get a dock to use my iPod with this receiver.
Thank you for your help!

As far as your hard drive situation, double check the source folder (where all your music is located) in either the receiver or WMP. Make sure the receiver "knows" where to look for your music. I had a similar problem when moving my music from my internal drive to my bigger external SATA drive. I was hearing music, but was wondering my "newer" ripped music wasn't shown when searching. I forgot to go into my Squeezebox's menu and reassign the external SATA drive as my music source.

The best way to stream music from your PC to your stereo, imo, is just get a Squeezebox. As for the files that are "greyed out", are you using a compatible format? In other words, are these files WMA files you're trying to play through iTunes or AAC files through WMP? I don't know why MP3s would be greyed out unless the file is corrupted somehow. MP3s are supported by both Apple and Windows, but the others are where I have ran into problems.

A Squeezebox will be higher in price, obviously, than an iPod dock, but at least you can still work with iTunes and you don't have to worry about your iPod playing Flac files (which I'm guessing it won't).

The only downside is the Squeezebox is an audio only device, so if video playback is also a must, then you have to look for something different or add something else for video playback.

First off, banana plugs are the only way to go w/ these types of posts. I bitch about this all the time around the A/V store I'm working at and so far it's just :angry-banghead:

The receiver supports FLAC and Yamaha's interface for playing music over a network is fairly basic yet also intuitive and effective. The biggest hurdle is making sure that your music files are shared. Using WMP that means that must be included in your music library. In WMP, click "Organize|Manage Libraries|Music" and make sure that your external drives' folders are in the list shown. If they are not (which I suspect they're not) click "Add" and add them to the library.

Once they are included in the library, I would try to access them w/ another computer to make sure I could find them that way. Once you've done that, you should be able to go to the "NET" input and choose "PC". You should see a list of available servers (the list may be a single item- your PC) and then you should be able to select your PC from the list and browse your songs by Artist, Album, Genre, Playlist, etc. Finally simply click on the song you want to hear and it should play.

I hope this helps.

John

Thsnk you everyone for your help. I went to my local audio store to ask the salesman the same questions. He told me you can play FLAC files on Windows Media Player. is this true? Because I also have Media Monkey and using that application for playing FLAC files.
Also for some reason I cannot display the information for the Net Radio stations. I get the message "not available." Currently adding my other hard drives to WMP library. Will let you know.
I also asked the audio salesman about indicator lights or symbols on the receiver screen indicating "Dolby TruHD, DTS- Master Audio, DTS, DD, etc." I t appears that information is only displayed if you press the "information" button when it appears on your display screen. I think.

Yromj, I followed your instructions and I still strike up zeros. I have my PC on, that is required. I imported my library from my external hard drives. Now, when I open Windows Media Player, my library appears. Also, my videos appear in Windows Media Player. All music files play in WMP as do the videos. When I try to access the files via the RX-V867, I get a couple FLAC files and movie files but only the titles. Nothing plays. I access folders and I get album titles, but NONE from WMP. WTF is going on? Under "Stream" in WMP, I have checked off "Allow Remote control of my player" and "Automatically allow devices to play my media."
To recap, the only files showing up are a few FLAC music files from external drives K and L. NOTHING from WMP. I can't find the dang folder with all the MP3 files from WMP. Could the fact that these files (MP3) migrated from ITunes? The M4a files from ITunes show up in the folder "Other media" in WMP on my PC. I can understand those files not playing in WMP. But it appears that only one song from WMP is accessible from my yamaha.
On my TV screen, when I hit PC input, there are two folders - one for DirecTV DVR (which I've not been able to get to work) and the second folder is the name of my network. The subfolders are Music, Videos, Pictures and Playlists. The Music folder gives me a "no content" message. Under Videos, the titles all appear but are greyed out and nothing plays. Oddly, the only thing that plays is "Peace Train" by 10,000 Maniacs.
I'm about to lose my f$%^^ mind over this!!!!!!!!! :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead:

For now, i'm going to listen to Pandora or internet radio. I mentioned that I cannot display song or artist information on Internet Radio. I was told to use the scroll option in the purple box onscreen. For some reason, the scroll option is not available. Weird.

Another thing I discovered. i tried connecting my MacBook Pro via the HDMI input on the front. No Sound. So I connected a 1/8 inch stereo plug to L and R analog connections. Still no sound whether i used the headphone or the audio out jack. i get picture though. Another puzzler. I'm wondering if I'm in way over my head. i keep creating new problems. :angry-banghead:

Man... Im getting old and cranky. Maybe it's just me but you shouldn't have to be a network engineer or a computer science major to get music from a computer to a receiver.

Towen7 said:
Man... Im getting old and cranky. Maybe it's just me but you shouldn't have to be a network engineer or a computer science major to get music from a computer to a receiver.
Damn young pup! You shouldn't have to hook up a computer to a receiver in the first place! :doh:

The problem is on the PC side of things, I promise. Once the PC grants access to the media, the Yamaha's interface is pretty straightforward.

You also need to make sure that the receiver has been given permission by WMP to access the media, a step which I had previously forgotten about. OOPS!! MY BAD!!

In WMP, click "Stream|more streaming options" and you should see a list of devices on your network which could use the media on your PC. The 867 should be in that list. Make sure that it is marked as "Allowed" in the far right column. What has me somewhat confused is that you can see part of the data you're trying to see.

As for the IR not displaying information, does Pandora show it's information? Does Sirius IR show its information (if you use that, I don't remember)? Have you tried more than one station? I use KHTN Tom FM in Arkansas a lot. Try that station and see what it shows because I know it shows the information on my receiver at the house and the ones here at the store.

Now, as for the MAC, are you sure it outputs audio via HDMI? Also, some of the ports on the MACs I've been around are mini-to-optical ports (yes, that is strange but it's also real). When I get home tonight, I'll try to remember to hook my laptop up via HDMI to the front and see what I get.

John

Towen7 said:

I absolutely agree!!! This new permissions BS in Win7 is, IMHO, it's only real flaw but it's a MAJOR flaw!! Just let me share the damn folder and be done with it.

John

Thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow after i've had a good night's sleep. i also got an answer about finding what surround mode i'm in. You press the info button on the receiver remote and press it until you see audio processing and then release. The audio processing will be displayed on the receiver's screen.

Man. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong. My external hard drives show up in WMP. The 867 is selected. I still don't have any music files, just the same 16 file names with empty folders :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead:

Why does it have to be so hard?

Sometimes AVS can be handy:

:text-link:

They are having the same discussion. I've got to transcode all of my .wma lossless audio to flac so I can try this also.

John

FLAC for me is turning out to be far more trouble than it's worth. I had to go deep into WMC to get it to work (for streaming from the PC through an Xbox) and even then it's a hit/miss proposition.

Towen7 said:
FLAC for me is turning out to be far more trouble than it's worth. I had to go deep into WMC to get it to work (for streaming from the PC through an Xbox) and even then it's a hit/miss proposition.

Why not just use a program like tversity that will transcode flac to a lot of different formats? Sometimes I don't like the way the library sorts, but it might be an easier work around.

Back