• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pulled the trigger! Yamaha RX-V867 for $479.99 from New Egg

Re: Pulled the trigger! Yamaha RX-V867 for $479.99 from New

Huey said:
Why not just use a program like tversity that will transcode flac to a lot of different formats? Sometimes I don't like the way the library sorts, but it might be an easier work around.

Unfortunately, I agree that something like tversity may be the answer. I just don't understand why, w/ all the technology and the trend towards convergence, we can't find a means of playing audio that's lossless w/o all of this fuss. It is really frustrating to browse a network and see a bunch of .mp3s I can play and not be able to see or play the lossless files.

In fact, I'm seriously considering transcoding my music to a "good enough" lossy format that I use for distributed audio around the house and keeping a CD player for the theater and critical listening. It just really seems ridiculous to have to do that though.

John

Update:
Talked to Yamaha representative. Still no help on trying to stream audio from my computer. I've followed the instructions but I must be a freakin' idiot. I feel like one. Don't know whether to contact Microsoft or not. I pull up WMP and all my MP3s from ITunes are in there. The streaming options shows my receiver. My folders are included in the library sharing option. So how come when I access the files via the receiver, NOTHING is in the folders? Arghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yromj said:
Huey said:
Why not just use a program like tversity that will transcode flac to a lot of different formats? Sometimes I don't like the way the library sorts, but it might be an easier work around.

Unfortunately, I agree that something like tversity may be the answer. I just don't understand why, w/ all the technology and the trend towards convergence, we can't find a means of playing audio that's lossless w/o all of this fuss. It is really frustrating to browse a network and see a bunch of .mp3s I can play and not be able to see or play the lossless files.

In fact, I'm seriously considering transcoding my music to a "good enough" lossy format that I use for distributed audio around the house and keeping a CD player for the theater and critical listening. It just really seems ridiculous to have to do that though.

John

If only Windows would play nice with flac, we would be all set. I can understand them not playing nice with Apple audio files, but flac is open source freeware, no reason for them not to support it.

The yamaha representative said FLAC files can be played with another party application. He did not recommend anything tho. I can play FLAC files on my MAC with Boxee. I don't know whether to contact Microsoft about problems streaming WMA and MP3s, or pay Geek Squad to come out and see if they can troubleshoot the problem. Getting the music from my computer to stream is the last roadblock to solve. :angry-banghead:

You mentioned itunes, is there a place to set itunes to allow/provide streaming?

John

Note to the RIAA, Microsoft, Apple, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Sony et al.... People are going to steal digital music no matter how hard you try to lock it down. Stop making it such a PITA to play the music I own. Just agree to some damned standards and make your freaking equipment work with the freaking software and vice-versa.

That is all.

Towen7 said:
Note to the RIAA, Microsoft, Apple, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Sony et al.... People are going to steal digital music no matter how hard you try to lock it down. Stop making it such a PITA to play the music I own. Just agree to some damned standards and make your freaking equipment work with the freaking software and vice-versa.

That is all.
That is not all. One more thing:

I have wasted, easily, 1.7 years of my life trying to remove them damn vinyl adhesive thingies on the top of every single CD, DVD and Bluray that I have legally purchased and own!!!
QUIT sticking those DAMN things on MY PROPERTY!!!!

whooo, okay. Now, that is all.

Botch said:
Towen7 said:

That is all.

I have wasted, easily, 1.7 years of my life trying to remove them damn vinyl adhesive thingies on the top of every single CD, DVD and Bluray that I have legally purchased and own!!!

I've had a bit more succes with online purchases with some (not all) since theft isn't possible...DVDs and BDs in particular

Batman said:
Botch said:
Towen7 said:

That is all.

I've had a bit more succes with online purchases with some (not all) since theft isn't possible...DVDs and BDs in particular
A bit here too, but there's STILL too many that I pick and peel at... :angry-banghead:

Huey. With Tversity, do you install the program on the PC and that will allow music to stream from the computer to the receiver? Or do you need to load it on your IPod? Would Twonky work? What formats does Twonky support? I visited the site but it did not indicate what music files are supported.

garypf said:
Huey. With Tversity, do you install the program on the PC and that will allow music to stream from the computer to the receiver? Or do you need to load it on your IPod? Would Twonky work? What formats does Twonky support? I visited the site but it did not indicate what music files are supported.

I haven't played around with either one of them in awhile, but both of those should work for what you are trying to do. Last time I checked, tversity was free, and twonky you had to pay for, all though I believe there was a trial you could do.

You load the program on the server where your music resides. Then after establishing a network connection with the receiver, you should see an option to connect to which ever one you have installed. Hope that helps.

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I downloaded Tversity to my PC, dropped files into the folder and voila, the music files appear on my TV screen. MP3 as well as FLAC. Thank you Huey and the rest of you for the help and humor! :banana-dance: :text-thankyoublue: :banana-rock:

That's a relief! Congrats.

Glad to hear you got it working!

:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

EXCELLENT!!! I still say it shouldn't take that level of effort, but hey, at least it works. Now I have a question for you: Are you streaming FLAC from tversity or some other format?

John

Haven't been around lately but i am somewhat in the same boat as garypf, lightning got my receiver and i ran across the newegg special except it had a $52 promo code, so i got mine for 427.99.
But lightning also got my
PS3,
2 other receivers
Wii
Central A/C unit
Oven
46in Flat Screen and some other things.

Of Course it didn't get my 60" RPTV. Maybe we can learn this receiver together. I'm opening mine tonight.
Just to be sure because my 60" doesn't have HDMI can i hook up the PS3 via HDMI to receiver and output from receiver to TV via component?

Crow said:
...Just to be sure because my 60" doesn't have HDMI can i hook up the PS3 via HDMI to receiver and output from receiver to TV via component?
I seriously doubt it. Typcially transcoding is analog to digital, not visa versa.

John

Update. I could not find all of my music files from my computer. I kept searching and searching. Finally realized the entire ITunes library was on external drive K, NOT internal drive C. Now streaming all my music.
I'm using the free Tversity program. It will stream FLAC but not 24-bit FLAC. With 24-bit FLAC you get a loud hissing sound. 16 bit FLAC works fine. I think I may be able to stream 24 bit files using Boxee on my laptop and connecting the computer to the receiver. I'll let you know the results of this experiment when I get a chance.
One other annoying thing I noticed about Tversity is that sometimes I will get an "access denied" message on the Yamaha screen and I'm locked out. I think it has something to do if there is an interruption in the internet connection. Anyone using this program experience the same thing?
Lastly, I'm in agreement that streaming your own damn music collection should be easier. I feel dirty and need of a shower after this experience.
:twocents-mytwocents:

Back