• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Seriously considering this Receiver

Doghart

So the onkyo is on sale for $699 at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR809-Ce ... 00505F01E/

It would be replacing my 1999 model Denon 5803. The 5803 is a beast and the ONLY reasons I have to replace it is it would clean up a ton of wiring mess I have, and give me all my audio over HDMI. I paid about $4k for the Denon and it's given me nothing but excellent audio and video over the last 12 years.

Currently my TV, BR player, Xbox, Directv, etc... is plugged into a 5x1 HDMI switchbox and all the audio is routed via Toslink into the Denon. The BR player is connected with 5 Analog cables to the Denon for HD audio.

Any reason that I wouldn't want to do this?

I know most of you will tell me to buy a power amp and use my denon as a pre, but I am not going down that road anytime soon.

D

If the Onkyo has the gas to properly drive your speakers, why not?

Rope

The advanced processing and fabulous array of connections of the TX-NR809 make it ready to lift the roof off. Eight HDMI® inputs handle all your high-def content, from master-quality audio to upscaled 4K video. Home network capability lets you bring streaming internet radio and PC audio into your home. And the drop-down front panel conceals a plethora of one-touch audio controls and A/V inputs. Video—whether standard or high definition—gets the royal treatment from a high-quality HQV® Vida™ processor and independent ISF calibration for each source. Advanced audio options include bi-amping, 7.2 multichannel pre-outs, and distributed multi-zone audio. As you'd expect from a major player in Onkyo's mid-range line-up, construction is first-rate. A massive transformer, symmetrical L/R channels, separate power and pre-amp blocks, and a highly rigid chassis provide the bedrock for a superlative audio performance.The TX-NR809 offers a class-leading mix of power, features, and performance.
-----
At 12 years old your 5803 is definitely outdated connectivity -wise.

And $700 is a very good price!
So, I agree with Rope. . .
If you're comfortable with going from Denon to Onkyo, why not . . . .

Thoughts on using the Onkyo as a pre and the Denon as my pro?

Better off just removing the denon from the picture completely?

D

hmm. upgrading huh doghart?

hehehe.

i always try to offset it by seeing how much i can sell my older equipment.

of course, reality check as to how much you can get for it tho. :handgestures-thumbup:

Looks good.

And at that price and connectivity makes me think of getting one to replace my Outlaww 990 and use it as a pre/pro.

Doghart said:

D

Do you mean use the Onkyo as the pre/pro and the Denon as the power amp?

If so, I think you could try it. If you're main goal in removing wiring clutter, you may be taking one step forward and one step back. Let the Onkyo do all the work at first. If it doesn't sound as good, try using the Denon's power section.

Wow! That didn't take a whole lot of convincing. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

:twocents-mytwocents:
Congrats!

I think you bought yourself a very nice receiver for very little money.
(doubt you'll regret it, doghart)

topper said:
-----
At 12 years old your 5803 is definitely outdated connectivity -wise.And $700 is a very good price!
So, I agree with Rope. . .
If you're comfortable with going from Denon to Onkyo, why not . . . .

LOL, I am still running my Marantz SR870 and DP870 (outboard Dolby Digital Processor) in my rig upstairs. If his 5803 is outdated mine is DINOSAURIC... :laughing-rolling:

I'll move the 5803 down to my basement and sell my Denon 3803 I have down there.

I looked around and the 5803 is only getting $300-500 online. I could probably get $200 for my 3803.

D

-B- said:
Onkyo amps are plenty robust, just give it space...they run hot

The 5803 is huge, it has it's own rack space. The Onkyo is probably half it's size and weight.

I stand corrected, little bit smaller, lighter:

Denon 5803: w=17.1" H=8.5" " D=19.1" weight 64lbs
Onkyo: w=17.1" H=7.1" D= 17" weight 40lbs

D

AndySTL said:
Doghart said:

D

Do you mean use the Onkyo as the pre/pro and the Denon as the power amp?

If so, I think you could try it. If you're main goal in removing wiring clutter, you may be taking one step forward and one step back. Let the Onkyo do all the work at first. If it doesn't sound as good, try using the Denon's power section.

I was in a similar situation as I have a Denon 3803 that got replaced by a Onkyo 805. IMO, I would remove the Denon completely. I may offer my 3803 for sell....Don't know yet.

Back