• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Shifting Orbits

CMonster

In mid-April I ordered a JTR Captivator S1, a sealed 18" sub, to replace my three PSA XV-15s. Unfortunately there's been a delay with the driver and it'll be at least two more weeks. During the wait, I started second-guessing my choice thinking the S1 might not be enough for my open-in-the-back room. I also know my wife is getting irritated with me and adding a second sub in the future ain't gonna fly. I thought about going with the S2 (sealed dual-18") but didn't think the size/shape/orientation would work. So I went ahead and dropped the hammer on an Orbit Shifter (sorry, I'm too lazy to make links on my tablet). One guy on AVS who is very familiar with JTR products had the following to say about it:
An orbit shifter is a beast of a sub. One would have the same output as two sealed S2's above tune and in the horn's wheel house. So effectively one 18" driver would compete directly with four equivalent 18" drivers in sealed enclosures. Below tune it acts like a single sealed 18" sub. If you have the space it is a heck of a sub.

I have the space :). I got to hear one a few months back and it was pretty impressive. I think this will do the trick for many, many years to come.

Yeah you suck. Or will soon. Which one - the Orbit Shifter LF, or...? There are a few different versions on their site.

:text-link:

And I've met your lovely wife. She's such a timid frail little thing, I don't know why her being annoyed with you would be any sort of problem.

This is all kinds of awesome! :text-bravo:

So when's the next Monster Mash (aka GTG)?

PaulyT said:
Yeah you suck. Or will soon. Which one - the Orbit Shifter LF, or...? There are a few different versions on their site.

:text-link:

I'm going with the LF model (better pictures of it here: http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post/2012-orbit-shifter-lf-5611975). The LFU is the upright version which is taller but a smaller footprint. I believe performance is pretty much the same.

And I've met your lovely wife. She's such a timid frail little thing, I don't know why her being annoyed with you would be any sort of problem.

:laughing-rolling: I know, right, but every once in a while she shows a little fire.

From the photos of it, it seems to be similar at the very least. But I didn't see any mention of the box's principle other than the horn. So maybe that's its own principle. I was just always under the assumption there were only three: sealed, ported and bandpass.

I always thought bandpass subs were a car audio thing. For HT, there are a handful of horn subs - I think Wardsweb has a Danley.

You frequently find bandpass boxes in cars, yes, but the notion of it is that it possess aspects of both sealed and ported boxes.

And yeah, you're right. I completely forgot about Ward's Danley.

Yup, YOU SUCK!!!

Congrats CMonster. I wanna hear the sub that can replace three PSA's.

^Not exactly sure but I'm guessing it'll be a couple of weeks. He's expecting a delivery of drivers next week so hopefully it won't be long after that.

No, haven't heard anything in four weeks. I know Jeff, the guy behind JTR, is attending a GTG up in Iowa today and he's delivering a couple pairs of speakers. I assume he's been focused on those so I haven't bugged him. I'll probably contact him next week for a status report. It seems like this has been a really busy spring/summer so I haven't really gotten too antsy waiting for it...

Damn, I'm never gonna get this thing. Apparently the supplier said it'll still be two more weeks for the driver but Jeff doesn't trust that. Hopefully by the end of July... I went ahead and moved the SVS PB-12 Plus/2 down to the HT today and not surprisingly it can't match the output of three PSA XV-15s.

That sucks. Well just see if Tom V can rush order you a couple of triaxes in the meantime... :eusa-whistle:

One unexpected benefit - in the brief amount of time I've spent listening to the living room system now sans SVS, I'm really digging the sound from the Monitor Audio Platinum bookshelf speakers set to large.

I am not going to say anything here that we don't already know, however this hobby is El Loco................

My system is probably the best that it has ever been, but.................since I listen to it almost everyday, it is just common place and not that impressive anymore? Well to me.

Being able to listen to multiple systems in your home is a great thing................enjoy Chuck and we can't wait to you start to shift orbits!!!!

Happy 4th!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Back