• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Shifting Orbits

It's here:
32C0C096-6E67-4D49-9DA8-EFFC7EE8A3A8_zpsr8yl54ye.jpg

It's sticking out a bit in this photo - it'll be slid back about a foot or so once I get it connected...
D6C7C9C8-F536-494E-B566-F295AFC249FA_zpsbncnkpve.jpg

The mouth of the beast:
711C029B-4D01-4F46-B3AD-949C8B496D89_zpskcewpu2f.jpg

That is a beast! :scared-eek:

Congrats on the excruciatingly long wait finally being over.

Are you gonna corner load it to extend the horn and get much deeper and more dynamic sub-bass?

^I was originally leary of turning it 180 degrees from how it's currently pictured because it'd be firing right into the back of the bathroom wall. I want to play around with it tonight just to get a feel for how powerful it is and I'll also check to see if it'd fit behind the back row of seats and therefore fire into a foundation wall. The one OS I heard in someone else's HT wasn't corner-loaded but the owner mentioned that Jeff of JTR recommended corner-loading because of the reasons you listed.

Thus far I've watched some scenes from Art of Flight and the opening scene and pawn shop scene from Drive - absolutely no regrets or buyers remorse. There's definitely an added weight to bass slams that the three PSAs never achieved. I probably won't get a chance to take measurements or play with orientation until this weekend. I will say sitting right in front of the mouth is pretty fun during bass-heavy scenes. :happy-smileygiantred:

Next up is How to Train Your Dragon and then some music...

I tried rotating it 90 degrees so it was behind the back row of seats but it's too big - the seats were pushed way too close to the edge of the riser. I also found the bass more localized but maybe I'd need to play with the distance to the wall to solve that. I still plan on rotating it 180 this weekend...

Sorry Matt, I don't own Cloverfield. I know it's supposed to have great bass but I've never had any desire to watch it.

A couple more pics with it pushed back into position if I keep it with the mouth opening to the room:

799BE065-A7F9-45E8-A363-131FA39CBC1C_zpsoar2ylew.jpg

2CC9AD21-D382-4156-9114-44CFDFC694CB_zpsrkj4lb4v.jpg

Flint, I did a little more investigation into corner-loading for horn subwoofers and it looks like the ideal is to have it angled at 45 degrees so it's firing into the corner with the mouth about a foot away. Is that correct? I wouldn't be able to get the angle but I could rotate it 180 degrees from what's shown in the above pictures. Is that still a worthwhile endeavor to flip this sucker around even though it'd be directly facing the wall instead of having any sort of angle?

CMonster said:
Hooman Confession Here: Were I sitting in that chair, I'd set my beer on it (the sub).
Being it's a multi-megawatt-mooger-moink-molester-super-sub-bass, will it cause my beer to foam up? :scared-eek:

Dude, there best be a coaster between your beer and my subwoofer if you were to set it there otherwise we'd be having words. Besides, the chair arm has a cup holder; use it!

Seriously, the cabinet definitely vibrates more than the PSAs or the SVS but I didn't think the bass in the seat right next to it was over-the-top versus any of the other seats. In fact, I really couldn't tell that the bass was being generated right there while sitting in that seat playing around last night.

Also, should I pencil beer in as your beverage of choice this October?

I took measurements with the mouth facing into the room and rotated 180 and they were very similar. Given the much better aestetics with the mouth into the room, it'll be staying like that. I did end up moving the front seating back about a foot as there was originally a 10 db difference between the front and rear seats.

Thus far I'm very happy with the purchase. It seems to pressurize the room much better and deliver a more physical impact. Just waiting for delivery of Entry Level to hear how it handles the end of No One Like You to make final judgement... :)

I just watched "Need for Speed" kinda okay movie but holy smokes does that movie have some intense bass scenes. There is one scene where you hear Aaron Paul's heartbeat and it just fully pressurized the room. Worthy of a rental but just for the car chase scenes and the pockets of real deep bass.

CMonster said:
Just waiting for delivery of Entry Level to hear how it handles the end of No One Like You to make final judgement... :)
Oh boy. The pressure is on now. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

And let's hope you're not left waiting 4 months.

We watched Ender's Game tonight and it was pretty awesome. The OS totally shakes the seats. I'm not running it that hot so the bass isn't overbearing at all, but man, it pounds.

Back