• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Shifting Orbits

If you can stands George Clooney and/or Sandra Bullock ... Try watching Gravity.

Love Gravity in 3D and will be inviting another couple over to watch it soon, hopefully next weekend. We watched it several times with the PSAs so it'll be a good comparison. The PSAs made the walls vibrate but not the seats and they never seemed to pressurize the room like this thing does.

I ran Anthem Room Correction (ARC) last weekend and it set the crossover for the C1s at 60 Hz. Well, when trying to listen to music at reference level to see what the OS could do I noticed the Dynaudios were struggling to keep up. I actually heard a clacking sound a couple of times :scared-eek: and I'm hoping I didn't do any damage... Anyway, I ended up setting the crossover to 100 Hz to protect the C1s. Now, after an evening of listening to a variety of music from Alternative, Classic Rock, Country, and Opera, I gotta say, I'm impressed that I can't tell, at all, that the subwoofer is in the back of the room. Bass seems solidly grounded in the front soundstage and I actually noticed something in the bass line of a song by The Cure that I'd never noticed before. I still need to take measurements with True RTA and/or REW...

^ Ha!!!

#1 and #2 do quite well in my sealed 1,750 cu ft space once placed correctly.

Let's see the frequency plot from the Sweet Spot...........maybe you don't need #2.

CMonster said:
Just waiting for delivery of Entry Level to hear how it handles the end of No One Like You to make final judgement... :)
Since you've not mentioned this again, I'm guessing the verdict is not good.

If that's the case, I'm gonna pull a Tee and say "There's something wrong with your system!" :teasing-tease:

^So exactly how low is the final note? I noticed some deep bass at about the 1:40 mark more than the end of the song. The OS has a port tune of 26 Hz and output does drop off quickly after that. I'm thinking about hooking up the SVS as well to see how the system sounds with it handling the really deep bass.

It can't be any lower than 16Hz or higher than 21Hz.

I don't know how much work and effort it would be for you to hook up the SVS but if it's not a huge pain, you may find it a worthwhile endeavor since you can tune it into the teens.

Got the SVS hooked up with two ports plugged thus 16 Hz tuning and the crossover set at 40 Hz. Some fine tuning is still necessary but yeah, it's staying in the HT. The first chapter of Art of Flight now pressurizes the room quite nicely. :)

Hmmm...

Sounds to me like you might want to consider something similar to what I did.

Why not use the SO exclusively for bass-management and the SVS for LFE? Seems to me that that would play to each of their strengths and eliminate any duplication of effort.

I use multiple subs for bass management, and a single SVS for LFE, but the principle is identical to what I'm suggesting you try.

Jeff

I'm really looking forward the GTG. I'm anticipating some good discussion about subs (largely because I plan on bringing it up and I'm hoping someone else is in the room - otherwise it'll be just like when I'm driving down the road talking to myself).

John

Definitely, and it'll be interesting to hear opinions of how my setup compares to the Triaxes at Batman's. I've texted Chris my thoughts but I know I'm more than a little biased, plus different rooms, yada, yada, yada.

JeffMackwood said:
Hmmm...

Why not use the SO exclusively for bass-management and the SVS for LFE? Seems to me that that would play to each of their strengths and eliminate any duplication of effort.

I use multiple subs for bass management, and a single SVS for LFE, but the principle is identical to what I'm suggesting you try.

Jeff

I don't currently have a way to separate bass management and the LFE channel. Plus, I'd lose any really low stuff when playing two channel music. The OS doesn't have much setup flexibility but the SVS does; I've already enabled its crossover at 40 Hz and I can also use its PEQ if there's a huge peak. I haven't taken measurements yet because we'll be cleaning out the HT soon to paint the ceiling up by the screen and I also have three new acoustic panels to mount to the ceiling. Once everything is put back together I'll measure. I did run a sweep while holding my SPL meter and the needle never got pegged to one side or the other...

CMonster said:
JeffMackwood said:
Hmmm...

Jeff

I don't currently have a way to separate bass management and the LFE channel. Plus, I'd lose any really low stuff when playing two channel music. The OS doesn't have much setup flexibility but the SVS does; I've already enabled its crossover at 40 Hz and I can also use its PEQ if there's a huge peak. I haven't taken measurements yet because we'll be cleaning out the HT soon to paint the ceiling up by the screen and I also have three new acoustic panels to mount to the ceiling. Once everything is put back together I'll measure. I did run a sweep while holding my SPL meter and the needle never got pegged to one side or the other...
Are you running separates?

If so you could pick up a used Outlaw Audio LFM-1 (or equivalent) and insert it between your pre/pro and power amps. Set all speakers to "large" on your pre/pro. Then pick your crossover point(s) on the LFM-1. The OS is fed the BASS output from the LFM-1. The SVS takes the LFE output from your pre/pro.

I've never heard an OS in action but I was under the impression that it was pretty capable down to the mid to upper mid 20s - n'est ce pas? Can't imagine too much lower than that for 99% of the stereo listening I'd ever do.

In any case, I'm sure you'll eventually have things tweaked for some darn impressive bass performance.

JeffMackwood said:
I've never heard an OS in action but I was under the impression that it was pretty capable down to the mid to upper mid 20s - n'est ce pas?
Correct

JeffMackwood said:
Can't imagine too much lower than that for 99% of the stereo listening I'd ever do.
What can I say, the wife likes her rap. Snoop, Dre, Beastie Boys...

Hey Chuck, how about an update? Have you done measurements with REW? I'd love to see a frequency graph to know where this monster actually extends down to in-room.

Here's the Anthem Room Correction (ARC) chart for the OS:
HTOS_zps7dae0b4f.jpg

The red line is the original measured result, the blue dashed line is the target that ARC tries to correct to, and the green is the result of the correction. Notice the drop-off at the 26 Hz port-tune.

Here's what I was able to get by adding the SVS PB-2 Plus to the mix:
HTSubs_zps1b005f7c.jpg

The only problem with the configuration is that the SVS doesn't have the output to hang with the OS and it'll start making some cringe-worthy sounds if I'm not careful.

It'd still be nice to measure with TrueRTA or REW but I've been too lazy...

Ya that second one is a pretty dang smooth curve.

Nicely done Chuck. Hope it sounds amazing and you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Back