• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Slingtv

^^
Oh, man...can you hint some rumors? I'm waiting for Vizio's news on their P models , last rumor, maybe Oct.
Alot of the complaints is Dish tech support isn't doing anything about issues.

:text-link:

Concurrently, Stankey said AT&T is also developing a new content gateway that will link to its new in-home equipment. He said the gateway would allow users to access the same content outside their homes, including on networks that are not managed by AT&T.
Indeed, Stankey added that AT&T today is working to offer a variety of unified products. "Our integration efforts continue today," he said. "Some of the planned highlights are the single truck roll installation for multiple products, live local streaming, improved content portability, over-the-top integration for mobile broadband, and user interface re-engineering. All of these are steps that are planned to deliver that premium effortless entertainment experience anywhere."
"We do anticipate cord-shaving to accelerate," AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said. "Cord shaving isn't a big issue with us. … There's going to be a reshifting of revenues. … We like how it's playing out."

Barney said:
Alot of the complaints is Dish tech support isn't doing anything about issues.

A ticker just ran across my TV screen tonight stating that Dish will be dropping CBS come tomorrow night. I've been here before so I won't poop my pants.
Another recent (2 days ago) rumor was the new Apple TV announcement was delayed because they failed to get a/some license agreements with one/more of the major networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, EIEIO). That would allow me to drop Dish altogether, although I've really grown fond of the Hopper thingie... :shhh:

For gods sake, I hope Apple TV puts something together soon. :pray:

CBS will be al la cart. I bet someday ABC will be next (they are ESPN & Disney).
I was hoping slingtv would pan out but it seems it has issues with the app.
I may wind up & get the Ruko 4 (after its out & tested).

Apple tends to negotiate for exclusivity and I'm not convinced that content providers (channels) want that. They need to get their content on as many devices and services as possible, while maintaining their profits. The ad generated revenue will be critical and Apple's tendency to want an ridiculous percentage of any transaction they are involved in is, IMO, slowing down the process.

Just signed up for SlingTV. Got 7 days for free. Installed the channel on my Roku 4. Outstanding, now I get ESPN etc. Get to watch some bowl games now.

Update: SlingTV freezes/buffers alot (about every 15 to 30 minutes during the bowl games) on the Roku 4. I found out from a forum member at avs that all channels freeze when using Roku 4/SlingTV. I will join the group that has a issue with SlingTV tech support.
Might be dropping it after the bowls, maybe next season DISH might correct all their issues.

That sucks. I think the industry needs products like Sling but they need to work really well with reasonable bandwidth expectations (around 12-20Mbps IMHO).

I have heard a ton of bad things about Sling since day one. Fortunately, I am not a sports fan and have little need for live TV.

I really only se m to have trouble with Monday night football, other then that for $19 a month it's pretty good.

Got a case # with tech support, we uninstalled, re-booted Roku 4, re-installed SlingTV, even getting best bandwith 3.7mbs with the SlingTV but still issues.
But I installed WatchESPN on my Roku 4 and used my SlingTV credentials as the provider and now have WatchESPN and so far watching Auburn vs Memphis bowl game with no issues for over an hour. Nice PQ also.

Yes, I use my sling account for the ESPN app and watch Monday night football through that app and it's flawless.

Barney, do your remember just how bad Netflix used to be? I hope sling just keeps improving because you can't beat the price.

I also liket to hat sling lets me watch shows on demand later if I miss them.

^^
Haywood, the 3.7mbs is what is the best in their SlingTV settings. The best bandwith for Roku 4 in its settings is 3.5mbps down to 0.3mbps.
Here's the "secret menu" for setting/checking your bit rate for the Roku :
Home 5x, Rewind 3x, FF 2x
My TWC internet speed is 100mbps and in my boom-boom room using my laptop & wifi I get 45mbps.

:text-bump:
Update:
Me & many others have had issues with SlingTV on the Roku 4. Some say its Roku's fault & others say its Dish's fault. Me & others have posted on Roku's forum ( they have Roku engineers posting) about the issue on the Roku 4 for months but no one with Roku has posted anything yet.
I had a tech ticket with Sling for a couple months. I got an email a couple days ago from Sling tech support that they hope to have a fix ASAP ( video would start to degrade, then freeze and go into buffering screen & buffer forever and happens about every 15-20 minutes no matter what channel).
Well I have been watching History channel for hours & watched a live NBA & college basketball game....no issue. PQ is good. Got my fingers crossed because I really like Sling and some of the channels. Problem is I'm addicted to "The Walking Dead" on Netflix right now.
I seen others have posted that their issues are gone for this past week.
:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Anyone running SlingTV with a Roku 3? I have a Roku 3 in the living room and a 2 in the bedroom. Wonder what issues are with tose devices.

I think for me, the football thing might be a bummer from what I've read in this thread. Hopefully, that will be resolved before this season starts. There's always the Watch app as mentioned. For shows like the Walking Dead, I can stream those through Amazon worst case scenario ($$ for a TV season pass).

Yesfan, the issues have been fixed with Sling. I'm hoping it stays fixed. I spent a couple hours watching the History channel & had no problems again today. From what I've read on the Roku forum, Sling has been solid on the Roku 3.
If you sign up for Sling, since your a SEC fan, Sling offers a SEC sports channel, extra $5 a month I think.

Back