• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Slingtv

Barney said:
^^
Oh, man...can you hint some rumors? I'm waiting for Vizio's news on their P models , last rumor, maybe Oct.
Alot of the complaints is Dish tech support isn't doing anything about issues.

:text-link:

AT&T and DirecTV to launch streaming TV service later this year

AT&T has announced that it plans to offer internet-based streaming TV service later this year. The new services, which will be branded and packaged as DirecTV products, will let you stream video from smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, set top boxes, PCs, or other devices using a wired or wireless internet connection. AT&T says the new services will not require an existing DirecTV service plan, set top box, or satellite dish and they will not have any contract stipulations.

The new packages will be divided into three tiers: DirecTV Now, DirecTV Mobile, and DirecTV Preview. The Now package will offer the most content, "including much of what is available from DirecTV today," according to AT&T's press release. The Mobile option will be priced lower and only available to smartphones (AT&T says it will be available to all smartphone owners, regardless of carrier), while the Preview service will be a free, ad-supported option with limited content options. AT&T says pricing for the tiers will be revealed at launch later this year. DirecTV's traditional satellite service and AT&T's U-verse TV and internet service will continue to be provided after the new internet-based TV services are launched.

Thanks Towen ! I've seen that news & waiting for info (pricing, channels, etc).

I think we're a few months away from knowing anything solid on that front. As I understand it the launch won't happen until the fourth quarter of this year. I'm wondering what platform they will be using for set top boxes; AppleTV, Roku, Google Play, Amazon Fire... All of the above?

Just signed up for SlingTV. About the only thing that threw me off is seeing where I can watch the last four episodes of The Walking Dead, but when I go to see what those episodes are, two of them are "Talking Dead". Kinda misleading, but worst case scenario I could watch them on Amazon Prime if I didn't want to wait until they aired on Netflix.

Two big issues I've noticed is no locals and when flipping channels, the difference in volume (ex: Travel Channel to Food Network) is pretty drastic. I think I can live with that if my TV bill drops about $70 once Dish is cut lose.

Football Season will be the real test. Lot of SEC games on CBS, ESPN and SEC Network. If I can get CBS, then I'm good. If not, then that's just a good excuse to watch at a friend's house or hit places like Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the games.

I have the app on my phone. I went to open the app, and noticed my TV screen went black with text saying "playback has been stopped due to SlingTV running on another device.

The only time I see myself using my phone is when I'm out of town. Even then, I may use my laptop since I have an HDMI out. I was hoping the Sling would be covered over an X amount of devices like with Netflix. Three would be nice, but two is a must since there are times I want to watch something that the rest of the family doesn't.

I didn't see how to add other devices. Anyone got a clue? Thanks.

Yesfan, I'm watching "The Walking Dead" on Netflix now . Netflix has 5 seasons. I'm binging on it & now at season 3 episode 13.

Yesfan, to the best of my knowledge, SlingTV is a one-stream-at-a-time service. There are no additional tiers to add 2 or more streams.

Batman said:
Yesfan, to the best of my knowledge, SlingTV is a one-stream-at-a-time service. There are no additional tiers to add 2 or more streams.

That's a bummer. My wife's ready to drop Dish and I'll probably pull the plug. I guess worst case scenario I could banish them to watch Netflix or PBS Kids during The Walking Dead and football season. :twisted:

Yesfan, that streaming news Towen talks about may come in time during football season. I'm going to watch for it. Strange but the Sling issues got corrected around the same time AT&T announced their streaming plans (those Sling issues have been going on for months).
Competition is a good thing.
I read somewhere that they got the okay for season 7 for "The Walking Dead" and should start around Oct. I'm on season 4 now with Netflix.

Barney said:
Yesfan, that streaming news Towen talks about may come in time during football season. I'm going to watch for it. Strange but the Sling issues got corrected around the same time AT&T announced their streaming plans (those Sling issues have been going on for months).
Competition is a good thing.
I read somewhere that they got the okay for season 7 for "The Walking Dead" and should start around Oct. I'm on season 4 now with Netflix.

From what I've read here in this thread, I imagine if the wife and kids are watching something on one TV via SlingTV, I shouldn't have a problem watching a game with the Watch ESPN app on another TV. Same for my shows I like to watch. Amazon offers TV passes for a lot of my shows. I won't go that route as I can wait another day or two to watch it free on SlingTV, but at least I know I have that option with Amazon should I miss an episode for whatever reason. To be honest, about the only show that I watch that I'll probably miss is Face Off on SyFy. Good thing is, it's my least favorite of my favorites. Everything else seems to be on the channels I can get through Sling.

:text-bump:
Guess what.....Sling now has 3 multi streaming. Also includes the local FOX channel in select areas along with FX1 and all the FOX sports channels.
Now you can watch Sling on 3 different devices at home or away.
Check out http://www.sling.com for details & pricing.
Alright, now a way for watching Nascar, NHRA Drag Racing on FX1.....I'm going to read up on it....
Please note: I don't think you can multi stream ESPN, ESPN2, Disney and some other channels for now. But you can AMC and others.
Just signed up for it.

Back