• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

SONY: BDP-570? BDP770? or the PS3 (160GB)?

Research through the web, pricing, past experience, demos at trade shows, conversations with folk in the industry, etc.

Got the PS3 in today. I noticed something on the box where it says you can do data transfers from your old PS3 to the new one. This makes wonder even more about moving media if I had a Sony BD player later on.

Randy said:
Is the 320GB version with the movie bundle worth the extra $100.00

You mean the MOVE bundle right?

Depends on whether you need the storage or plan to play MOVE games. The motion controller, Eye camera and a game will cost $100 by itself. The PS3 with the bigger hard drive is $350. So essentially you're saving $50 by buying it in a bundle.

If you'll never use the MOVE and don't need the storage than spending $100 to save $50 doesn't make sense. Then again if you will use the MOVE and download a bunch of stuff than there is no reason NOT to get the bundle.

I wouldn't get the bundle because I don't see many people getting $100 worth of use from the MOVE and 160GB is more than enough storage for me because I don't download movies (I stream them).

I don't worry much about the hard drive capacity of my PS3s, because I stream everything to them from central storage on my network.

Have you set yourself up with Hulu Plus, Vudu and Netflix client software/accounts yet?

Haywood said:
Have you set yourself up with Hulu Plus, Vudu and Netflix client software/accounts yet?

Is that directed to me?

If so, no I haven't had the chance to do anything with it yet. I was at my mom's most of the day today and I've had to play "mr. mom" the past couple of days since the wife's not on vacation this week. I'm hoping I can play around with it tomorrow. If there is anything I need to know, then feel free to post it as I'm totally new to those types of sights and the whole streaming thing in general.

I had planned on hooking it up to the TV upstairs, but I'm having second thoughts about that. The cabinet I have my TV and gear in is somewhat exposed and little man can't leave any of it alone. He likes to keep putting the Dish receiver in dual mode and has acquired some sort of fetish with the DVD player. We do most of our TV watching upstairs, so I'm seriously thinking about just moving the PS3 downstairs and doing "without" a Bluray player until I can get a cabinet with doors on it.

dont forget, you can also upgrade the hard drive with a standard 2.5 hard drive, ive seen some people do it up to 500g already. easy peasy if ever you plan to.

congrats on the ps3 purchases folks!

hit me up if you have any further questions about it. i will try to help out too when i can. :)

im not good with the streaming part, but gaming, saves et al, id be more than willing to help out.

Now that I got it up and running last night, I have a few more questions and some mixed feelings.

DVDs and Blurays look awesome on it and I'm getting more familiar with using the controller as a remote....maybe to the point of sending the bluray remote back when it arrives. I'm really happy with its performance on that.

Streaming? I don't know what to think. I tried to watch a show on Netflix last night and the video kept hanging up. Same thing with sample videos from Hulu and Vudu. Can another computer affect the PS3's streaming performance? The only thing on WiFi is my wife's laptop and she was using her Kindle program nothing more. Could it be my Stone Age Dell acting as a bottle neck? I don't even think she was online when I was fiddling around with the PS3. The PS3 is connected via Ethernet. I did try connecting the PS3 via WiFi, but utter failure there, so I re routed one of my CAT5 lines so I could connect the PS3. I've come to hate hooking up anything wirelessly as it seems to be a pain the ass compared to plugging and Ethernet cable to it.

Music? When I first hooked everything up, I did a search for "media servers" hoping it would see my Squeezebox or my MP3 folder on my desktop, but it did find my wife's laptop as one media server, but no tunes. I remembered my 8GB USB drive I use in the Jeep and thought I would try it as a music player. I had tried my drive before on one of my friend's PS3 and it never would see my drive. No problems here as it saw everything on it. Even had artwork show up on some of my songs. I noticed some songs would not play and figured out I had to enable WMA play back on it. I went back in settings and done that, then it couldn't find anything on the drive. WTF? I don't know if my wife's laptop had anything to do with it or not, but the PS3 did find it again when my wife shut off her laptop. Still scratching my head on that one.

I know I'm going against the grain here when I say this, but I was hoping for a little bit more from this all in one box of fun. I know I'm not being fair having just a few ours of exposure, but some of the newer gear I've bought (like my Squeezebox) had much better first impressions that what I got last night. Had I not already ordered a remote and 2nd controller, I would probably try to figure out how to exchange this for the 570 or the Panasonic DMP-BD100 since I have a Panny TV.

I consider this a "free purchase", so I'm not going to bitch too much. In the mean time, I'm going to go over the online manual and see if I missed something the first time around.

Can't help you with he media server stuff.

As for your Netflix and Hulu issues, how fast is your Internet connection? On other devices both of those services need at least 6Mbps (at thedevice) to run at their highest quality settings. You can use the PS3s browser to go to speediest.net to see what your getting at the console.

The only way your stone age Dell could be a problem is if it is eating-up available bandwidth. That could happen if there are apps running (even in the background) that are accessing the Internet. If you hacve a fast enough internet connection Try turning the Dell off and see if things improve.

Would that also affect downloading games via the PS3? I was going to download Tiger Woods '11 demo, but after about 15 minutes only 2% was shown as being downloaded. The game is 1.72GB in size. I also tried to download the photo gallery software (110MB) and it too was a slow download. I canceled both downloads.

With my wife's laptop turned off, I did watch about 10 minutes of Star Trek via Netflix without any problems. If I'm streaming with no hiccups, I don't understand why it's taking the PS3 so long to download a game.

I'll look again and see what speed I'm connecting. I do have a few apps running in the background (McAfee, Squeezebox Server to name a couple), but since my desktop isn't WiFi connected, could I just unplug the network cable instead of shutting the PC completely off?

Yesfan70 said:
but since my desktop isn't WiFi connected, could I just unplug the network cable instead of shutting the PC completely off?

Yes.

The PS3 shouldn't care whether you are downloading a game or streaming video. What matters is how fast it's connection to the Internet is. If other things on your network are on the internet (even if you dont know it) than the availabke speed to the PS3 will be reduced If you are going to use streaming video you need a pretty fast connection. I tried with a 6MB DSL connection but it wasn't good enough. Remember that the advertised speed is the max and can/will fluctuate. DSL speeds more stable than cable because your neighbor's traffic doesn't impact your speed. But DSL will still fluctuate a little. I work fir AT&T so i wanted ti stay with them as mu ISP, but since 6MB was the fastest I could get with DSL in my neighborhood I had to switch to cable which offered 20MB.

Ok, I haven't done anything to my desktop as far as shutting it off (even stayed logged in here), but this is the numbers I got from speedtest.net

Upload= 0.11Mb/s
Download= 0.62Mb/s
Ping= 60ms

When I did the ping test on pingtest.net, it showed 66ms, 3ms jitter, and gave that a B+ rating.

Towen7 said:
.........If you are going to use streaming video you need a pretty fast connection. I tried with a 6MB DSL connection but it wasn't good enough. Remember that the advertised speed is the max and can/will fluctuate. DSL speeds more stable than cable because your neighbor's traffic doesn't impact your speed. But DSL will still fluctuate a little. I work fir AT&T so i wanted ti stay with them as mu ISP, but since 6MB was the fastest I could get with DSL in my neighborhood I had to switch to cable which offered 20MB.

I was thinking about this last night and thought maybe I need to bump up to a faster package. I have AT&T slowest package right now.

Our "slowest" package around here is 1.5MBPS. That won't cut it for streaming video.

Towen7 said:
Our "slowest" package around here is 1.5MBPS. That won't cut it for streaming video.

What would be the bare minimum? I don't plan on going back to Charter. I cut my Internet bill in half by switching to AT&T and the speeds I have now are about the same as what I had with Charter.

EDIT: Btw, thank you for helping me out. I appreciate it.

Yesfan70 said:
Ok, I haven't done anything to my desktop as far as shutting it off (even stayed logged in here), but this is the numbers I got from speedtest.net

Upload= 0.11Mb/s
Download= 0.62Mb/s
Ping= 60ms

When I did the ping test on pingtest.net, it showed 66ms, 3ms jitter, and gave that a B+ rating.

Ouch, Those are horrible numbers for streaming, let alone surfing, but then again I'm surprised you guys have the net in Tennesee! :happy-smileygiantred:

You had already made up your mind by the time I saw this thread, but I would have voted for a player based streaming device. I have a samsung and sony, and both work very well at streaming. I have no esperience with a ps3, but I know an xbox 360 is excellent as a media center, but you do pay a premium as B points out in another thread to get netflix. Not much help here, but don't except good streaming until you get at least 3mps download speeds.
Rob

Yes, that network speed - particularly the download - is pitiful; I really don't think it's the PS3's fault. I would look into your modem+router combo, it's possible something is set wrong somewhere. I've had no issues at all with streaming on my PS3, works fine.

Those numbers won't support good quality streaming. I'd say the minimum would be 6 MBPS on the download.

Back