• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

SONY: BDP-570? BDP770? or the PS3 (160GB)?

[sigh]. Thanks guys. When I get back to work, I might see if I can exchange this player for the 370 and get some of my points back to apply to something else.

As for the modem router combo, all I use is the 2Wire modem from AT&T (it has a built in wireless router/switch). I wouldn't know where to start looking if that's my bottle neck.

Yesfan70 said:
[sigh]. Thanks guys. When I get back to work, I might see if I can exchange this player for the 370 and get some of my points back to apply to something else.

As for the modem router combo, all I use is the 2Wire modem from AT&T (it has a built in wireless router/switch). I wouldn't know where to start looking if that's my bottle neck.

I'm not convinced that there is a bottle neck. If you are on the lowest package available than 750K (600K in reality) downloads may be all you can do. Check you account profile to see what speed you are paying for. The slowest package they offer to new customers (in my market) today is 1.5Mbps. But customers that had older/slower service already are still provisioned for their slower profiles at the cheaper rate. I'd be willing to bet that you have a slower profile than you think you do. If you are paying for 1.5Mbps and are getting only 600K, we can do some trouble shooting to see if the decreased throughput is on your side or AT&T's.

Don't exchange the PS3 for one of the others yet! If the network is the limiting factor (whether it's the router or the ISP), your experience in streaming will be no better at all with the other devices. And trust me, the interface for things like netflix and hulu are *much* better on the PS3 than on the 570.

Agreed with T7, talk to your ISP and see what speeds you should be getting; if they say you should have 6Mb/s, then your network hardware has a problem. If you're only supposed to be getting 0.75Mb/s, then switch ISPs fast!

PaulyT said:
Don't exchange the PS3 for one of the others yet! If the network is the limiting factor (whether it's the router or the ISP), your experience in streaming will be no better at all with the other devices. And trust me, the interface for things like netflix and hulu are *much* better on the PS3 than on the 570.

Agreed with T7, talk to your ISP and see what speeds you should be getting; if they say you should have 6Mb/s, then your network hardware has a problem. If you're only supposed to be getting 0.75Mb/s, then switch ISPs fast!

If I may, yesfan said he was on the lowest package available so I'm inclined to believe that 750K is what he's paying for. Depending on loop length and what you are willing to pay for (V)DSL is capable of speeds in excess of 80Mbps.

Even if you are paying for more than 750K, problems with your or AT&Ts network could hinder your speeds. Problems on AT&Ts side could be faults on the copper lines to your house or provisioning issues.

A few things:

1. For streaming music off your network, you need to install a decent DLNA server on whatever PC you keep your music on. TVersity is the best one I've tried so far for local media and had the ability to transcode from WMAL or FLAC to uncompressed PCM on the fly. It is easy to set up and also provides some nice streaming for web-based content, photos and any video content you have on your PC. I highly recommend it. I run TVersity in the background on my PC with no noticeable side-effects and can access my entire lossless library from two PS3s on my network.

2. There is something seriously wrong if those are the real upload/download numbers. Try rebooting your modem and router and see if that fixes it. There is no way that's the "normal" expected bandwidth of your internet connection.

3. Consider upgrading to Wireless N. Wireless G is fine for web-based content, but is insufficient for any local HD content you want to stream. It also provides enough bandwidth that you and unlikely to have any issues with the number of devices hitting your network at the same time. It's a fairly cheap upgrade and well worth it.

4. The PS3 is no different from any other device that plays streamed content. If it isn't working with the PS3, it won't work with anything else either. Fix your network issues and you should be happy with the result.

5. The only better up-scaling player for DVD content is the Oppo and not by a big margin. The PS3 neatly outperforms any of my three dedicated BD players for DVD playback.

Towen7 said:
PaulyT said:

If I may, yesfan said he was on the lowest package available so I'm inclined to believe that 750K is what he's paying for. Depending on loop length and what you are willing to pay for (V)DSL is capable of speeds in excess of 80Mbps.

Even if you are paying for more than 750K, problems with your or AT&Ts network could hinder your speeds. Problems on AT&Ts side could be faults on the copper lines to your house or provisioning issues.

Sorry, should have said "switch ISP or upgrade your service" to get better download rates. Yeah, 750k is really really pitiful by current standards.

Yesfan, my main point, echoed by Haywood, is that from what you said, you won't get better streaming by switching to a different device. Fix the network speed first, then re-evaluate the PS3 for streaming and downloading.

Keep the PS3.

Get better Internet speeds and/or fix whatever is slowing it down. But keep the PS3.

and get a decent DLNA server. PS3 Media Server is free and works reasonably well. I like TVersity better, but PS3 Media Server is free. The DLNA server built into Windows isn't that great and does not have enough transcoding flexibility.

Towen7 said:
Those numbers won't support good quality streaming. I'd say the minimum would be 6 MBPS on the download.

id have to say mine hits around 3mpbs, and it works pretty well. Of course, these are average numbers, at times it peaks, at times it bottles up. may it be due to certain times in the day or what not, it works for me.

for what its worth, im also inclined that you keep the player. id fiddle around first with the modem (i too use the whole 'phone line into the modem and cat5 comes out' kinda one... reset the modem, keep it off for a good 5, then come back.

in regards to the ps3 remote control, do you still need one? i havent opened mine for years, and i got it around the first ps3 i got.

Guys, for the record I wasn't going to send the PS3 back for another network player. If I sent it back, it would be for the 370 or Panasonic non-network capable player. I agree switching out for another network player for better results would be silly.

FWIW, I called AT&T and found my U/D load speeds were about average for someone with DSL Lite (which I have). The top tier package in my area is the 3Mbps pack for about $12 more a month. I should notice my upgrade between Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. The salesman told me while 6Mbps would be better for streaming, 3Mbps should still be a LOT better than DSL Lite (around .750Mbps).

Also, from what the salesperson told me, 6Mbps and Uverse are currently available in my city, but it just hasn't gotten to my neighborhood yet. So looks like I will keep the PS3 a little longer and see how it goes.

Of course, if nothing changes, I might offer it up for sale, go back to DSL Lite and say to hell with all the streaming and shit and just get a dedicated non-network Bluray player. While I didn't have to pay for my PS3, I'm not real happy with what I have to shell out for it to "do everything". You get the system, but then you also have to buy extra controllers, upgrade your IPS for streaming, and other components not to mention the cost of the games themselves. Reminds me why I quit gaming.

In all fairness, very few people have internet that slow anymore. The average ISP runs around 12-14mbps these days. 3mbps should work for Netflix and maybe for Hulu, but is too slow for 1080p content from Vudu.

Haywood said:
In all fairness, very few people have internet that slow anymore. The average ISP runs around 12-14mbps these days. 3mbps should work for Netflix and maybe for Hulu, but is too slow for 1080p content from Vudu.

I wish we could get 12-14 mbps, the fastest we can get in our new neighborhood is 3mbps on dsl. They do offer a 6mbps connection, but for some reason, our neighborhood does not have the infrastructure to handle it.
Rob

Huey said:
Haywood said:

I wish we could get 12-14 mbps, the fastest we can get in our new neighborhood is 3mbps on dsl. They do offer a 6mbps connection, but for some reason, our neighborhood does not have the infrastructure to handle it.
Rob

You and me both. Where I'm at, I still got to have my sunshine piped in, so I'm a bit limited in bandwidth.

Like Huey 6Mbps is available, but just not in my neighborhood yet. When it becomes available, I'll probably upgrade. Uverse is also in the works which has me intrigued. According to the salesman I talked to on the phone, the lines for Uverse should allow me speeds up to 12-15 Mbps.

One more (ok, two more) questions and I'll STFU. My PS3 came with a USB cable for the controller. The 2nd controller I bought, doesn't have its cable. Apparently you have to buy that extra as well.

Is a second cable needed for any reason if you have 2 controllers? Just thought I would ask. I plan on buying a charger, but thought I would ask if one cable is alright for the mean time. Is there a recommended brand of charger? I looked at one made by (I think) Nyko on Amazon, but wanted to get everyone's opinions.

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: Oh yeah, does the PS3 have to be on to charge via USB or can it do it with the unit off?

Yesfan70 said:
One more (ok, two more) questions and I'll STFU. My PS3 came with a USB cable for the controller. The 2nd controller I bought, doesn't have its cable. Apparently you have to buy that extra as well.

Is a second cable needed for any reason if you have 2 controllers? Just thought I would ask. I plan on buying a charger, but thought I would ask if one cable is alright for the mean time. Is there a recommended brand of charger? I looked at one made by (I think) Nyko on Amazon, but wanted to get everyone's opinions.

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: Oh yeah, does the PS3 have to be on to charge via USB or can it do it with the unit off?

It's a mini usb charger, so any mini usb charger should charge the controller if you need to do two at once. Also, the PS3 has to be on to charge, but you should be able to charge it on any USB charging device. I use the service USB port from my Comcast cable box to charge my Wii controllers as it's always on.

It's just a plain standard USB cable, no reason to have two unless you're charging them at the same time, and you don't have another one already lying around. AFAIK the PS3 has to be on for it to charge; I usually just plug mine into my PC or laptop to charge. IMHO no point in springing for a separate charger.

This Energizer charger is on my list for the PS3 controllers. It's regularly $29.99, waiting to catch it on sale.

pTRU1-5375740dt.jpg

That's pretty cool. BUt unless you're really doing a lot of gaming, these things don't need to be charged that often. I would guess they hold at least 8-10 hours of active use; and if you're just watching a BD they'll automatically shut off after a bit, so they're not even on all the time then.

PaulyT said:
That's pretty cool. BUt unless you're really doing a lot of gaming, these things don't need to be charged that often. I would guess they hold at least 8-10 hours of active use; and if you're just watching a BD they'll automatically shut off after a bit, so they're not even on all the time then.

Very True, I rarely charge mine. That charger I'm eying is almost for the better looking stow than the charge itself!

Back