• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony UBP-X800

I gotta say, I don't know if I could recommend this player to anyone anymore. I know since cutting the cord that the player is doing most of the heavy lifting, but I'm having to unplug it a couple of times a week and sometimes daily because it locks up.
Agree, I got rid of mine.

so which ones do you opted to go with?

i have 2 samsung 4k uhd players, but doesnt have dolby vision on em. too bad, but maybe not. i think, i THINK i can live without dolby vision.

Any of the few minor problems I had seemed to "disappear" when I got my Roku 4k streamer and stopped using the Sony for a majority of my streaming. I still use it to stream occasionally.

I don't have and have never really had problems related to disc play.

Being single and with no kids it probably doesn't get the use it would from others.

I have had problems with the player locking up while playing discs, but lately it will lock up mid stream of something I'm watching. It's not an everytime type of thing, but it happens enough that I've thought about getting a Roku 4K unit, but that causes problems with my receiver.

I have never had a problem with my x800 but I don't use it for anything but discs, my streaming is all through the roku (2).

So it's getting that I'm having to unplug this thing about 2 to 3 times a week, so I just ordered a Roku Ultra and HDMI splitter for my streaming services. I'll still keep the player for disks, but I'm getting tired of unplugging the thing all the time.

So it's getting that I'm having to unplug this thing about 2 to 3 times a week, so I just ordered a Roku Ultra and HDMI splitter for my streaming services. I'll still keep the player for disks, but I'm getting tired of unplugging the thing all the time.

That’s disappointing. There’s no good reason that multi-function devices should suck at one of those functions.

That’s disappointing. There’s no good reason that multi-function devices should suck at one of those functions.
I don't know if it's firmware updates, or the player is just going bad, but it will lock up doing most anything. I know I use it a lot more now than when I first got it, but it does seem to be happening more frequently, which is too bad, because it definitely has a better picture than my old Roku, hoping the new one looks just as goo.

Thanks to PaulyT for showing me this thread. It's been an interesting read.
The Sony UBP-X800 is still available, but its price is now $379!! I think I'll keep limping along on my Oppo -93; if/when it goes out I'll try to find a used -103 on eBay (there's a few out there yet) or see what else is available.

Thanks to PaulyT for showing me this thread. It's been an interesting read.
The Sony UBP-X800 is still available, but its price is now $379!! I think I'll keep limping along on my Oppo -93; if/when it goes out I'll try to find a used -103 on eBay (there's a few out there yet) or see what else is available.
There's an "M2" version that's $250

https://smile.amazon.com/Sony-Ubp-X...&keywords=Sony+UBP-X800&qid=1588787632&sr=8-3

I have no idea if the specs are all the same, I would guess so but I haven't looked at it carefully.

FYI I got my x800 for ~$130 (open box from amazon) a while ago, before these got more popular. Sucks to be you. :moon:

panasonic also makes some good ones, the 420 doesnt have dolby vision, but gets you high. the 820 gets you 2 4's. but with dolby vision. double vision? ah fourget it.

Back