• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speaker Shopping - Need Suggestions

Don't be so Sensitive Tom.

I like the Loki's. I think they are neat. $900 and a little DIY wtime sounds very reasonable.

I was looking at these and wondering what it would take to build a tower enclosure that would be less deep than the 11" that the loki cabinets are. Would that affect the sound as long as the internal volume was the same?

But like I said before, if you are ok with the size the titans would do the trick.

Maximo said:

I like the Loki's. I think they are neat. $900 and a little DIY wtime sounds very reasonable.

I was looking at these and wondering what it would take to build a tower enclosure that would be less deep than the 11" that the loki cabinets are. Would that affect the sound as long as the internal volume was the same?

While it won't impact the bass performance (if the volume and loading are the same), the midrange will sound different. Why towers?

Tom - The Loki sounds as good as any $500 speaker on the market. Of course, all speakers have a certain tonality to them which could make them more or less pleasing to any listener. I recommended them because they are a much better bang for the buck than any other speaker in the price range, they are not impacted by horizontal or vertical placement, and they fit your bookshelf requirement.

Maximo said:

I'm not being sensitive. I know that any-old speaker would do but I was hoping for some accounts from those of you have experience with a couple of speaker makes/models in the $1,000/pr range.

How about a pic of where they will go? I am always a big fan of form and fuction for the space.

PMC GB-1 - Great Deal!

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1287779294&/PMC-GB-1-It's-steal

1278209737.jpg

1278209739.jpg

The GB-1's are front ported, (ATL) so placement close to walls is not a big concern.

Rope

OK. what just happend there. Two other posts just got between Towen and me. Weird.

As far as the whole towers thing. I just like thin towers. Don't like having to mess with stands.

Rope said:
Yesfan70 said:
Flint said:
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_40_402_275&products_id=8767

loki-cabs-kits-horiz.jpg

I think those as surround speakers would sound great with 3 Odins up front.

How bout 2 Thors and an Odin up front, 2 Odin surrouds?

Rope

I'm thinking 3 Odins, 4 Lokis for the surrounds and a kick ass IB sub. :teasing-neener:

I know Flint will smack the shit out of me for saying this, but I'm starting to see where Dentman and a few others are coming from with 'subpar' surrounds in order to put the max amount on the front pair.

back on topic,

Towen,

I have not heard the newest Titans, but the older ones sound very similar to the Mini-Monitors. The only difference was the Minis had a much better low end to them. IMO, three Minis and a pair of Titans (or 4) for the surrounds would be a great bang for the buck setup.

Of course, with a $1500 budget, I think going with three Studio 20s is still very doable.

What about used Mackies? They are black, so you wouldn't have to worry about mis-matched wood grain.

Look at the KEF offerings Towen. I had a pair in a secondary system before and enjoyed them. Can be had on the cheap too. Then you won't have that pesky center channel issue.

Yesfan70 said:
What about used Mackies? They are black, so you wouldn't have to worry about mis-matched wood grain.

Long-story short is that until now I haven't had a dedicated HT space so my wife has tolerated my five Mackies in the living room. In the coming weeks I'll be moving to a place with a space for a dedicated HT, so the Mackies will fill that role. Thus the need for a living room system. My wife has been very tolerant of my AV desires but she hated the look of the bookshelf CC speaker. Since I have free reign of the HT space I'll grant her wish for a horizontal CC in the living room.

Heck... Now that I think about it... I may even drop the CC entirely. I've had more than acceptable results from a phantom center arrangement in the past.

How firm is the bookshelf requirement? These are speakers I've been lusting over since I heard them about 5 years ago in a showroom. Prices on A-gon have been coming down since they are a few years removed from the current lineup.

If bookshelf is a must have, I can vouch for the Paradigm Studio 20s. I have 3 across the front and like the tone. Shopping used can bring you in $1k under budget.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1288830072&/Jm-Lab-Focal-Electra-926-in-cl

My preference is bookshelves but that has more to do with cost than anything else.

The budget? I'd like to get the front stage in for under $1500. This is a living room system in a less than ideal acoustic space so there is no need to spend any more than that. Even that $1500 amount may be overkill for their intended.

AndySTL said:
How firm is the bookshelf requirement? These are speakers I've been lusting over since I heard them about 5 years ago in a showroom. Prices on A-gon have been coming down since they are a few years removed from the current lineup.

If bookshelf is a must have, I can vouch for the Paradigm Studio 20s. I have 3 across the front and like the tone. Shopping used can bring you in $1k under budget.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1288830072&/Jm-Lab-Focal-Electra-926-in-cl

That's one hellova deal on the 926 Electra's. I don't think I've ever seen prices likes being asked currently on Audiogon.

Rope

Totem Mites I've always liked. Paired with a sub they are great. They have a floorstanding counterpart (Staff I think) which is nice. Are there size considerations, or just bookshelf in general?

The bookshelf "requirement" isn't a requirement per se. I'm just looking to get the best bang for the buck that I can. I have a sub so bookshelves seemed like the best option.

How about Monitor Audio? The Gold series of bookshelf speakers are nice. It might be a little more than your budget if you buy new though.

I would also have to say the Loki (with the higher end crossover they offer) or as mentioned three Mackie HR824s (Guitar Center is always having them on sale for around 350.00/ea )

OK, I'll play along.

I would drop the center channel for this room because your requirements don't seem to call for it, IMHO.

I would look into the Dynaudios. You may be looking at the Excite series but you have a choice of finishes and they still sound very very good. There may be better sounding speakers on a dollar-for-dollar basis, but I don't think there would be any better at filling the role of looking great and sounding very good.

John

Back