• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Squeeze Box Distortion Problem!!!!!!

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Okay....................I am PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!

I usually like to do some critical listening with my system after I return home from a GTG.

During John's GTG we really heard a difference from listening in Stereo Mode vs. Pure Audio Mode. So I figured that I would give it a test here.

Tonight as the wifey is doing dishes I decided to listen to some music on the SB.

Something just didn't sound right.

So I started to listen to No Doubt's; Don't Speak...........it sounded horrible and distorted.

Now that my CD collection is accessible, I decided to play the CD version. The CD version played through my 25 year old NAD CD Player sounded AWESOME. (some of you know that one of the reasons that I want a dedicated room is for music listening because when I listen to music it sound pretty shitty).

Maybe the reason is not really the room, however maybe I have a SB and/or a music ripping issue?

A year or so ago I posted a similar thread about a similar issue with the John Mayer Continuum CD. So I did the side by side test tonight and the SB version sounds like shit and the CD version sounds great............... The SB version almost sounds over-driven and distorted.

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE!!!!!

I am looking for real troubleshooting advice here. This is a very serious issue for me my friends.

Advice welcomed.................................. Sarcasm..........................go F*CK YOURSELF!!!

Hey Keith, forgive my ignorance, as you've probably mentioned it, but how are the CD's ripped to the PC?

MP3, Flac, etc?

It sounds like the SB is using MP3 or something and you are hearing compressed music~! YUCK~~~~ :angry-cussingblack:

Don't worry my friend, we'll get you through this! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:
( :handgestures-fingerscrossed: )

I'll second Dennie's important question: what format are you using and how did you do the ripping? But you are quite right in your sense of something being wrong - a CD played through SB vs a regular player should sound identical, assuming you've ripped in a lossless format.

The next question would be how your SB is hooked to your system. If you're using a receiver, are you using an analog or digital connection? I would recommend the latter if you've got the option, so you avoid an unnecessary round of ADC/DAC if your receiver is doing bass management, etc. (which is almost always done in the digital domain on modern receivers, as I understand it).

.... but, I would not expect the analog-vs-digital issue to make THAT huge a difference; unless there's some problem with the analog inputs/outputs or something.

So I would start with Dennie's question. If you're not using FLAC, find a program that can rip a FLAC version of one of your albums, like (free) MediaMonkey. Even if you are using FLAC, maybe try a different program in case your ripping app is messed up. Try that and see if it makes any difference.

Okay...............here is some additional info that will answer some of your questions and also give you some of my initial analysis.

1. All CD's are ripped to Windows Media Lossless.
2. The SB is connected to the Onkyo AVR via Analog signal.
3. I am currently listening to the office system, which is the same files thru the FUBAR DAC and Parasound Amp and Studio 20's with no distortion. It sounds great.
4. Right now I don't have access to FLAC, however the music I am listening to in the office sounds AWESOME, so I will assume problems between the switch and the AVR, which will include the CAT 5 connections, SB Issues and/or Analog connections to AVR. The AVR is set to Pure Audio so all processing and cross-overs are bypassed.
5. I do not have access to a optical digital cable to connect the SB to the AVR via that connection.

I have calmed down and will file find a solution!!!!!!

Tomorrow after work I will connect the SB to the office system to see how the system sounds.........that will lead me to the next potential point of failure, if sounds good in the office.

Man ... You have zero luck when it comes to digital music.

If you are getting different results using the same file but different components (SB and Fubar) than the problem can't be the file. I'd also venture that the Ethernet connection is not to blame either. I'd expect a connection problem to manifest itself with dropouts, not a loss of fidelity. That leaves the analog cable and the devices themselves. The cable should be easy enough to move between devices. A poor analog connection can definitely cause what you are describing... but if I were a betting man I'd wager that the problem is the SB itself.

I have a feeling T7 is right, but it could be limited to the analog output on the SB. Order a cheapie optical cable online a few bucks and try that.

Are you using the headphone output or the RCA analog outputs? Ideally, use the RCA outputs.

Try turning the volume on the SB to half (50%) and turn up the receiver.

What does your network speed look like? If the network is slow or congested, the SB and Slim Server will transcode to a lower bit rate to ensure the data link remains active. All of my SB's are connected via hardwired CAT-5, so that isn't a problem for me.

D'oh, Flint just beat me to it. Try turning down the volume on the SB. If its output is cranked too high it could cause distortion...

CMonster said:
D'oh, Flint just beat me to it. Try turning down the volume on the SB. If its output is cranked too high it could cause distortion...

I always beat others by coming to conclusions faster, except in bed where I last all night long. :cool:

Dang, Flint's feisty today. :laughing: Guess that vacation did you some good!

Thanks for the additional input, I will try these once I get home from work later today.

Flint said:
CMonster said:

I always beat others by coming to conclusions faster, except in bed where I last all night long. :cool:

Hehe, I didn't see this one coming until it hit me.

AndySTL said:
Flint said:
CMonster said:

Hehe, I didn't see this one coming until it hit me.

You might want to rephrase that last part. :eusa-whistle:

Flint said:
Are you using the headphone output or the RCA analog outputs? Ideally, use the RCA outputs.

What does your network speed look like? If the network is slow or congested, the SB and Slim Server will transcode to a lower bit rate to ensure the data link remains active. All of my SB's are connected via hardwired CAT-5, so that isn't a problem for me.

Agreed. The only difference is I have the SB's volume at 100% No problems on my end. I also use the optical out on the SB. As for the network, I have not noticed any thing where the bitrate is changed to a lower resolution. Maybe there's a setting where you can force the SBs to keep the desired bit rate? One of my SBs is connected via WiFi, but even with that, the only thing I've experienced with that player is a drop out here or there.....No lower bitrate. The CAT-5 connected player downstairs has no issues either like Flint's players.

Flint said:

1. RCA Analog Outputs
2. This helped significantly, so I guess I was over-driving the input of the AVR, I am confused because most sound good? I only have a problem with some albums.
3. I am not sure how to check the network speed? However, I am connected via a CAT 5 connection and nothing else is running on the network.

jomari said:
What?

Glad you got it (semi) worked out. Perhaps the problem with the songs that still sound less than stellar lies in the recording (i. e., excessively compressed).

I connected the SB on my 2 channel system in my office. There are a couple of variables here because the SB is connected directly to the Power Amp, therefore I needed to use ONLY the volume control on the SB.

It sounded good, there was no distortion.

A couple of notes when hooked up to the main system (AVR) in the den.

1. When playing the CD in the CD player, the volume on the AVR had to significantly lower to obtain the same loudness as the SB when the SB was at MAX Volume??? There is no distortion with the CD player so why is the SB over-driving the AVR when the signal appears to be much less that the CD Player............

2. With the SB level at half, I needed to turn the volume up on the AVR so much, that when I inadvertently switch to the CD Player............it was so loud I could not react quick enough.................

I will purchase a Digital Optical Cable in the near future and connect the SB to the AVR with it to see if I see a difference. Does the quality of Digital Optical Cables matter? I will guess yes, if so, can you recommend a few.

Thanks again with your help in this matter.

Back