• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Big House System - Pics

Huey said:
Looking good Jeff! Just remember to take your time, it all doesn't have to be done in a week. Enjoy the new space!

Thanks Rob I have to keep telling myself that. Luckily this is the slowest time of the year for work as my focus has not been in the office for several weeks. Getting the essentials done, that is about it. I talked with my boss yesterday and I am gonna use a few more vacation days a half day at a time.

And thanks on the phone extenders I think I may need them in the end, I'll let you know.

Here's and idea. Build a fame around the fire place and finish with plywood. The idea is to make it look like a built in entertainment center. You could mount the TV directly to the plywood. It could have a hollow back to hide the wiring. I'd think you could get it done with less than 2 sheets of plywood, a dozen 1x4's, a bottle of wood glue, a few brads and screws, and a little stain (or paint).

Towen7 said:
Here's and idea. Build a fame around the fire place and finish with plywood. The idea is to make it look like a built in entertainment center. You could mount the TV directly to the plywood. It could have a hollow back to hide the wiring. I'd think you could get it done with less than 2 sheets of plywood, a dozen 1x4's, a bottle of wood glue, a few brads and screws, and a little stain (or paint).
That is a great idea!

I'm not too handy but the guy that helped me the other day is very good on home projects, he did the total remodeling on my bathroom a couple years ago pretty much gutting it, did everything electric, plumbing and even some custom design molding to go around the shower doors. He will also do all the work (except carpet) in the little house that needs to be done to get it into shape.

He is oming over tomorrow so we can discuss

As an aside my brother stopped by the big house yesterday with his wife. Guess they were very dismayed about me blocking the fireplace. I tried to explain but he has not had the challenge of setting up an HT in a room with a fireplace. In fact he would be happy with a 27" CRT, we are very different in that way.

Love that idea T7, thanks.

mzpro5 said:
Guess they were very dismayed about me blocking the fireplace.
Then I'm guessing he is REALLY going to dislike the idea of boarding it up. :scared-eek:

I wouldn't attach it to anything permanently. It would essentially slide over the fire place. I'd build it so that you can take it apart relatively easily; pocket screws or t-nuts.

Zing said:
mzpro5 said:
Guess they were very dismayed about me blocking the fireplace.
Then I'm guessing he is REALLY going to dislike the idea of boarding it up. :scared-eek:

Hey I love him but he isn't going to be living there. He is in HVAC so he should realize that when you use the gas fireplace yeah you heat the living room but the thermostat is in the same room not that far away so the rest of the house is very cold because the furnace doesn't come on. One among other reasons.

Towen7 said:
I wouldn't attach it to anything permanently. It would essentially slide over the fire place. I'd build it so that you can take it apart relatively easily; pocket screws or t-nuts.

Yeah that's what I thought after you brought up the idea. Easy to remove when it comes time to sell the house or remodel.

mzpro5 said:
Towen7 said:
That is a great idea!

I'm not too handy but the guy that helped me the other day is very good on home projects, he did the total remodeling on my bathroom a couple years ago pretty much gutting it, did everything electric, plumbing and even some custom design molding to go around the shower doors. He will also do all the work (except carpet) in the little house that needs to be done to get it into shape.

He is oming over tomorrow so we can discuss

As an aside my brother stopped by the big house yesterday with his wife. Guess they were very dismayed about me blocking the fireplace. I tried to explain but he has not had the challenge of setting up an HT in a room with a fireplace. In fact he would be happy with a 27" CRT, we are very different in that way.

Love that idea T7, thanks.
Talked with my friend and he is a bit skeptical about doing this. Not because he doubts his abilities (I don't) but he said, " why do you want to cover up tha brick with what would in essence be a plywood box?"

Also he feels you would either have to bolt it to the brick or have a complex infrastructure to keep it from tipping forward. The TV is an older plasma and though only 50" it weighs 97lbs. I don't think it would tip as I envision it you would form around the base, making look like an "L" from the side which would give someplace to place components and prevent any possible tipping.

He also has concerns about the esthetics. To paraphrase him, "you are gonna have to use cabinet grade plywood, try and find a stain to match the mantel color, do lots of trim at the edges and everything else you can to make it look like a cabinet instead of a packing crate (his words not mine).

But he has not complely kicked the idea. He says maybe imdid not explain fully (very possible) if at all possible he wonders if you could provide even a basic drawing of what you are thinking.

Of course I did tell him you were only working off a crappy photo and had never actually seen it.

Just wanted to report back. I still like the idea.

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:
Looking good Jeff! Just remember to take your time, it all doesn't have to be done in a week. Enjoy the new space!

Thanks Rob I have to keep telling myself that. Luckily this is the slowest time of the year for work as my focus has not been in the office for several weeks. Getting the essentials done, that is about it. I talked with my boss yesterday and I am gonna use a few more vacation days a half day at a time.

And thanks on the phone extenders I think I may need them in the end, I'll let you know.

Just let me know, and I will ship them out.

I love this idea nad if executed properly, could look very nice. As far as securing it, I would use a couple of concrete screws on the sides to secure it to the brick. that way if you ever wanted to undo it, you could without any real noticable damage. Great idea towen.

The light just came on.

6a83f724.jpg

not a bad idea too T7,

to help avoid tippin over, would a smaller amount of inclination help out if ever?

maybe no need for oak or maple, but consider just plain old white paint, some glossy kind if ever, to hid the grade of the wood.

to lock it down on the wall tho, maybe consider having it 'hide' on the higher area, where it wont be 'seen' or too obvious, using an L bracket.

Towen7 said:
Though at first thought I thought this would be neat after a night of mulling it over I've decided my buddy had some legitimate concerns.

The way it is now doesn't look bad with the brick (well the dumbells do need to be replaced). Also i realize you were just working off an out of focus pic, i will be taking a few more today.

But hey all ideas are accepted for review and thanks T7 for another one to think about.

Hooked up the Yamaha RX V471 receiver today but did not have a chance to calibrate or do much because the damn manual was on a CD which means I would have had to run up and down the stairs to do anything. I forgot my iPad so I couldn't refer to the PDF version. Guess I may be old fashioned but I like a hard copy of a manual.

I also hooked up the Oppo 83. First receiver with HDMI switching, one of the main reasons I got it and I like. Fewer cables and the little bit I played with it the switching seems to be working fine.

This may sound weird but while doing this I finally attached banana plugs, first time using those. Someone was having a sale a while back and I ordered 20 pairs but never put them on.

I have a couple more pics but Photobucket is doing some crazy stuff so I will have to wait until later.

i love banana plugs, but prefer the ones with the side holes instead. both of em work, its just easier for me. :happy-smileygiantred:

Photobucket is back up. I only have the camera on my phone and have never been able to take a decent pic with it but here:

87180364.jpg

a8d3764d.jpg

4.jpg

nice!

thanks for sharing Mz, i know you have a long way to go, but keep at it! more pictures later on!

er... what show are you watching? history channel, but man, that guy creeped me out!

jomari said:
nice!

thanks for sharing Mz, i know you have a long way to go, but keep at it! more pictures later on!

er... what show are you watching? history channel, but man, that guy creeped me out!

I wasn't paying attention, think it was American Pickers

Jeff, I know you have it all setup, but have you thought about just having a 2 channel system with the fireplace being the focal point?

Huey said:
Jeff, I know you have it all setup, but have you thought about just having a 2 channel system with the fireplace being the focal point?
Yes I did. There is a separate dining room right off the LR and initially I was going to turn that into an upstairs video area and doing just what you suggested.

It may eventually work out that way but the DR has a beautiful ding set, a big hutch and other furniture I have to deal with. (another bad pic)

fab20ab8.jpg

It is a mess right now, kinda of a layover for stuff I dom't know what to do with.

But down the road I may still do it.

Back