• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Big House System - Pics

Whats the layout of the space and adjoing spaces?

My LR has a fire place as well so I know what a hassel it can be from a set-up perspective. I'm just not digging the TV stand on a fireplace look. It's an efficient use of the physical space but it takes away from look and feel of the room.

Towen7 said:

My LR has a fire place as well so I know what a hassel it can be from a set-up perspective. I'm just not digging the TV stand on a fireplace look. It's an efficient use of the physical space but it takes away from look and feel of the room.

I downloaded an app to my phone yesterday that is supposed to allow you to scan a room with the phone camera marking the corners and doorways and then provide a diagram. I am going to try it out today.

Towen7 said:

Lets assume the TV/fireplace is North. The LR is 26x18. On the east wall there is an 8 ft opening to the kitchen and a 10 ft opening to the DR. these are separated by a 4' 4'' section of wall. There is a standard doorway on the SE corner that leads to BR's and guest bath. There is a full sized couch on the East wall along with the grandfather clock next to the doorway.

Buddy is over right now and we are considering moving the TV/components to the East wall, viewing distance would be just about the same, 13'. Trying to figure out furniture placement right now.

mzpro5 said:
Any thoughts on the idea of moving the TV to the "east" wall?

I'm confused because you said the east wall only had a 4'4" secton of wall.

mzpro5 said:
The LR is 26x18. On the east wall there is an 8 ft opening to the kitchen and a 10 ft opening to the DR. these are separated by a 4' 4'' section of wall.

Will your TV and speakers fit there?

Towen7 said:
mzpro5 said:
Any thoughts on the idea of moving the TV to the "east" wall?

I'm confused because you said the east wall only had a 4'4" secton of wall.

mzpro5 said:
The LR is 26x18. On the east wall there is an 8 ft opening to the kitchen and a 10 ft opening to the DR. these are separated by a 4' 4'' section of wall.

Will your TV and speakers fit there?

My mistake I meant the west wall where the sofa currently is. I'm getting so confused with this I can't keep anything straight.

If it means moving your TV stand off the fireplace, I'm for it. I don't know if it's the pov of this picture, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using those dumbells as "front legs".

4.jpg

Yesfan70 said:
If it means moving your TV stand off the fireplace, I'm for it. I don't know if it's the pov of this picture, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using those dumbells as "front legs".

4.jpg

They actually are not bearing any weight. The stand is solid on the brick, only about a 3" overhang with all the weight solidly bearing down on the brick. They just fit there with a bit of "down pressure" on the carpet, a bit of insurance is all.

That being said I have pretty much decided to make the move to the west wall. Big chair would go in the NE corner, love seat fits nicely in that solid section on the east wall, and the sofa would go where the love seat was origionally, about 12-13 feet directly south of the fireplace in an east-west direction.

mzpro5 said:
move to the west wall.

I think that's a good call. Putting things where they clearly don't belong (like a TV stand on a fire place) is just weird and every sinle person that comes to our place will think so, even if they not say it. It's all about compromises and since you've got a better space for a better setup, I think it's one worth making.

mzpro5 said:
I downloaded an app to my phone yesterday that is supposed to allow you to scan a room with the phone camera marking the corners and doorways and then provide a diagram. I am going to try it out today.

Sounds neat. What app is it?

Towen7 said:
mzpro5 said:
move to the west wall.

I think that's a good call. Putting things where they clearly don't belong (like a TV stand on a fire place) is just weird and every sinle person that comes to our place will think so, even if they not say it. It's all about compromises and since you've got a better space for a better setup, I think it's one worth making.

For whatever reason I usually like to go with the length of the room rather than the width. But my friend pointed out the room is big enough that that should not be a real consideration.

A big part of this for me is making the adjustment from living in a very small house for 26 years and moving to a much larger and spacious house.

That's why I am glad to have you guys here to bounce ideas off of, my perspective in this situation is not always the best.

Towen7 said:
mzpro5 said:

Sounds neat. What app is it?
It's called MagicPlan. I have not had a chance to try it. It is an iPad/phone app so you can shoot it with you phone and view it on the tablet.

Made some changes today

95d337ef.jpg

5615fd41.jpg

1541b180.jpg

Phone was crooked not the floor

ae101c5f.jpg

The pro is coming next week to move the GF clock to this corner.

I thought I took a pic showing directly across from the TV, big 1.5 sized Lay -z-Boy recliner. In fact the love seat and sofa are Lay-z-Boy also.

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Just an idea........don't move "my" clock next to that window. Light can fade the finish.
Like where you have the system now....alot better.

Barney said:
Just an idea........don't move "my" clock next to that window. Light can fade the finish.
Like where you have the system now....alot better.
Thanks guys.

I did not realize that Barn but I could keep the blinds on that window closed most of the time.

Grabbed some stuff and Yogi from the little house and will be spending my first night here.

But I have the essentials - HT, tunes, whiskey, some natural relaxant, and a phone to order pizza later.

In the little house I always knew where Yogi was. Here I hafta look for him even after closing the bedroom doors. :happy-smileygiantred:

I'm with everyone else so far. I like the way this looks much better.

What's important though is what you think. After all... it is your place and your stuff. So... what do you think?

Back