• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Ins & Outs of Implementing a NAS Into Your A/V System

yromj

I was talking w/ Snowman about this yesterday. I think this is the way to go for media storage on a network. The biggest reason for me is that I don't have to have a PC up and running to access my media (or other files, or a printer, etc.).

It's not too hard to find a NAS device with built-in DLNA or UPnP support, either. That leads me to my first question: Does anybody know if those are mutually exclusive or if they will work together?

I've got to run for now (going to go w/ Snowman to buy a PS3). I'll check back in later.

John

Re: The Ins & Outs of Implementing a NAS Into Your A/V Syste

Network attached storage would be the answer to having a stand alone device which could serve files without running a file server, i.e. computer. The only catch, you must have a "browser" to access the files, if that is a catch?

NAS devices have come a long way since they were first introduced. The first NAS devices were quite slow, clunky and unreliable. Currently, that's not an issue.

I've elected to let my desktop run indefinitely. I built it with that critera in mind.

Rope

John, say hi to Snowman for us, and tell him to get his ass on here a little more often!

I'm going, somewhat, with this route myself. I have 3 drives in my desktop and leave it on 24/7, but I'm still thinking about just buying a NAS setup sort of like the Acer unit Akula pointed out. The reason thinking is my PC is pretty old and with my luck, I would hate to put money into it only for it to give up the ghost on me.

I'm fairly familiar w/ NAS devices in general. I use one at my office as my file server and I set one up for the A/V company I worked for as well. The one for the A/V company serves primarily as a file server but does have some media on it.

Before the NAS, I used a PC as the server at my office. I GREATLY prefer the NAS becaus of the reasons I listed in the first post.

I started this thread because I personally feel that using a NAS is the best way to go. However, there are some nuances which must be understood so they be overcome. Simply plugging a NAS into a switch won't necessarily make it so that you can instantly view your pictures w/ your TV or BD player. With some planning and understanding, it can be a great way to go, though.

Snowman bought a Netgear 1TB NAS tonight and it has both UPnP and DLNA capabilities. We will be setting it up tomorrow thru the weekend and I'll report on the issues and fun stuff as we go.

John

A NAS device is a PC, or server. It consumes power and generates heat. It must be left on all the time. Most are not that cheap.

Personally, I would rather buy or build a low power PC running Windows with several hard drives in it and set it up as a network file share than spend the money on a NAS.

Not to get too far off topic, but can someone explain to me what exactly is DLNA and UPnP?

Yesfan70 said:
Not to get too far off topic, but can someone explain to me what exactly is DLNA and UPnP?

DLNA = Digital Living Network Alliance = Computer running DLNA server software broadcast on a network. Any capable DLNA devices will access the network and do what they're designed to do, perhaps browse the web with your display if it is DLNA capable.

UPnP = Universal Plug-n-Play (I refer to it as plug and pray) = Computer based server software broadcast on a network. And again, any capable device will access the network running UPnp and perform it's dictated task.

All similar to the squeezebox server software you run to access audio files with squeezebox, only more universal.

Rope

My experiences w/ DLNA have been positive so far. I haven't dealt w/ UPnP very much.

The NAS that Snowman just bought supports both. When he turned his PS3 on and went to look for music servers, it was already there. Pretty simple and slick.

I wish he would post about his system because he's going through something that relates to this topic: Which file format to rip to considering quality and accessibility by other devices. For example, the PS3 (for whatever reason) apparently still won't play .wma lossless files. So, now what? FLAC? WMP won't rip to FLAC. :angry-banghead:

John

yromj said:
... the PS3 (for whatever reason) apparently still won't play .wma lossless files. So, now what? FLAC? WMP won't rip to FLAC. :angry-banghead:

I'm interested to see what the solution to that one is, and more importantly how to transcode the files you've already ripped.

Me too!! I've got a lot of CDs ripped to .wma lossless. SM's bd player is right next to his PS3 so I told him to check that and see if it will play .wma lossless.

I just don't get why the PS3 won't do it though. Does the 360?

John

yromj said:
I just don't get why the PS3 won't do it though. Does the 360?

Yes, the Xbox 360 can play WMA files.

This snippet from the PS3's manual implies that the PS3 actually CAN play WMA...

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... lewma.html

Enable WMA Playback
To enable music data in WMA format to be played, connect to the Internet and perform an authentication procedure.

Settings > System Settings > Enable WMA Playback

Yep, it can .wma but NOT .wma lossless. Now you see why this is really...shall we say...perplexing. :angry-banghead:

John

yromj said:
So, now what? FLAC? WMP won't rip to FLAC. :angry-banghead:

Shouldn't matter what program you use to rip. I suggest looking at MediaMonkey (though there are plenty of others); just set it to store ripped files in a directory that WMP monitors, and you should be good.

I was unsure of what program people use to rip to FLAC. I guess I'll tell him to look into Media Monkey.

John

I use DB PowerAmp and rip every CD to both FLAC to play thru my Squeezebox on the main system and mp3 to play everywhere else (D-Link network media player, iTunes/iPod/iPhones). DB PowerAmp lets you save different profiles so it's really easy to make sure all the meta-data is correct, rip with one profile such as Album - FLAC, then rip again with the Album - mp3 profile. I have a couple other profiles for compilation CDs, soundtracks, etc...

That dBpoweramp looks like it will do bulk transcoding which is what I (and I think yromj/Snowman) need.

Thanks for the link.

I may need that (depending on how well supported .wma lossless turns out to be). It also appears Media Monkey does it too (from their website):

Record CDs and convert MP3s, M4A, OGG, FLAC and WMA files etc. into other formats.

John

What file format(s) are you ultimately looking to end-up with? I want lossless files that are supported by Windows Media Center (for streaming to an Xbox) and iTunes (for syncing with my iPod). I couldn't find a way to do that without hacking either or both players. I gave-up looking for one format to rule them all and started ripping all of my CDs to wma-lossless with the hopes that I'd find a bulk converter.

Sounds like you need the same thing to convert wma-lossless to whatever lossless format the PS3 supports.

I want a lossless format that is played by most devices. Right now I have all of my files ripped to .wma lossless and don't have a PS3. I knew about the limitations w/ the PS3 because of when I did have one and now that Snowman has one.

Snowman is starting his from scratch and wants to use a PS3. He wants lossless.

In essence, there are two different, albeit closely related, issues here: What to do if you want lossless and are starting today and what to do if you already have lossless .wma files.

As a side question, will a squeezebox play .wma lossless?

John

Back