• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Lord Of The Rings Extended Version - in 2011!

Tee

Over at thedigitalbits.com says the LOTR Extended versions are going to be released on Blu-ray "sometime" this year! I will be double dipping again b/c this is a must have for me, this is great news!

Finally, remember our news about the Extended Versions of the Lord of the Rings films coming to Blu-ray later this year? Well, our friends over at The One Ring.net posted a little bit more information. The expectation is that the release will be an exact or near-exact port of the previous Extended Edition DVD sets, with the films obviously now in HD video with lossless audio. It's remotely possible that you might also see some kind of teaser video for The Hobbit. I'd personally be happy if the set just included everything that was on the 4-disc DVD sets, along with those 3 newer documentaries that were only on the more recent Limited Edition DVD sets. (The Limited Editions were the DVDs that included BOTH the theatrical and extended cuts via seamless branching - see our DVD review here. Each also had a second disc with a NEW documentary on that making of the film.) That way, at the very least, you could count on being able to ditch all your previous DVDs when you upgrade to Blu-ray. As for the future "ultimate" editions, don't look for those until after the Hobbit films are finished, as Jackson likely won't have a lot of time to create new bonus content until then... and no truly "ultimate" set could be released without the Hobbit films anyway.

Stay tuned!

Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
billhunt@thedigitalbits.com

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

We knew this was coming but still I gotta :angry-banghead:

Oh yeah, I'm all over this. Thanks Tee!!

I don't have any version of LOTR on blu-ray yet because I waited for this. IMHO, the theatrical versions aren't the same and frankly don't count.

John

I've read a lot of complaints about the picture quality of the theatrical versions on Blu-Ray. I hope they fix that for this release.

I bought the theatrical versions around the holidays for $8.99/piece from amazon. I haven't even unwrapped them yet.

yromj said:
Oh yeah, I'm all over this. Thanks Tee!!

I don't have any version of LOTR on blu-ray yet because I waited for this. IMHO, the theatrical versions aren't the same and frankly don't count.

John

Me too!

Looks like I got that PS3 just in time! :music-rockout:

I don't get the desire for the extended editions of these movies.

Were the theatrical releases not long enough? The vast majority of the "missing" content was left out for a good reason. Of the hours of missing content there are a very few bits that add anything substantive to the movie.

Towen7 said:

Were the theatrical releases not long enough? The vast majority of the "missing" content was left out for a good reason. Of the hours of missing content there are a very few bits that add anything substantive to the movie.
What happened? Did your local media do a positive write up about the release of the extended editions? :D

Towen7 said:

My thoughts too, I also bought last year's releases for $8.99/ea, and have watched them once. Have no desire to watch anymore than that unless it's elfin sex...

I know Razz is chomping at the bit (I talked him outta buying the regular BD versions last year) I for one am excited about this. What was not mentioned is they are suppossed to have gone back and cleaned up the image even more so after all the complaints about PQ from the regular BD versions of these films. I will say that the lossless audio is phenom when I got to demo the regular BD versions, so here's hoping they don't change much on the audio cause that was the only thing I loved about the regular Blurays.

I also loved the EE versions over the standard, just dwelled more into the story.

Seems like the EE versions are gonna come out about the same time as Star Wars, gonna be an expensive year for me.

vader_lotr.jpg

Towen7 said:

To me there were several scenes that really helped the story. It's been so long since I watched the TEs that I don't remember most; but here are two examples: In Fellowship, the scene where Galadriel presents them with gifts is left out. Those gifts are used throughout the rest of the story. In TT, the scene where Aragorn releases Brego (the prince's horse) after calming him down is left out. Brego is the horse that saves Aragorn and returns him to Helm's Deep. In the TE, a horse just shows up.

The TEs to me seemed more heavily weighted towards action while the EEs seemed to emphasize the story more.

John

Towen7 said:

I loved the books long before the movies came out and the EE is much more faithful to the story. The TE cut a lot of stuff out that actually does impact the story. It was not cut because it made the films better. It was cut because it made them shorter. I have both versions of all three movies, but only ever watch the EE.

I'll probably allow myself to get sucked in. I can't help myself usually when it gets right down to it. :happy-smileygiantred: So if that winds up being the case the first reasonable offer can take my existing TE version of the BDs off my hands as soon as I obtain my "PREC-IOUSSSSSSSS" Or you can take them at my GTG too!! :eusa-whistle:

I dont think I could sit through 25 hours of hobbit crap waiting for the 3 hours of action. LOL!

walls said:
I dont think I could sit through 25 hours of hobbit crap waiting for the 3 hours of action. LOL!

I was going to write the same thing, but was afraid of a good old fashion lynching. I never have understood, or got excited about LOTR? I've been trying to purchase a hobbit as of late, but it appears they went the way of the unicorn.

Rope

I look forward to adding the EE Blurays to my fledgling Bluray collection. As for Star Wars, I think I can wait and get them used as Georgy boy has gotten enough of my money.

As they say to each their own, :) again I can't wait to sit thru every last film back to back to back! Ditto for the Star Wars saga i'm all in my friends.

Tee just don't do it at Bats GTG, we never got to sit in the primo chair the last time you went. :teasing-neener:

Back