• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The New Epson 5010...

I personally, don't get the multiple disc crap. I don't want a special features disc, or a DVD copy. Give me the BD I paid for without all the bullshit advertisements and the piracy warning. I've seen them all a million times.

Rope

I had the same experience mistaking a DVD for a BD a few weeks ago with Thor. I had seen the BD on my system before so I knew the disc was good so I immediately assumed there was a problem with eith my player, pre, or projector. After jacking with the settings for 20 minutes and fearing the worst my wife walks in sees me freaking out debating how to swap the player or bypass the pre or run new cable. After about 10 seconds she asks "are you sure you didn't play the DVD instead of the BD?"

:oops:

I've been pretty quiet about this lately for a couple of reasons. First, this was an insanely busy weekend for me. My right hand person (at work) is on vacation, it was a holiday weekend, my father came for a visit and stayed here and it was my mother's birthday. Secondly, I had a hell of a time dialing in the 5010. Because my room is not completely light-controlled, I felt it was important to wait until sundown before beginning the procedure so that left the smallest of windows to accomplish this. To make matters worse, it took - not one, not two - THREE calibration discs before I got the results I was after.

On my first attempt, I thought using the Spears & Munsil disc was the best choice. Not only do I think that has the better and more accurate test patterns, it's also the disc that came with my Oppo BD player. It was my thinking that since Oppo chose to include this particular disc with their player, perhaps the two would work better together producing better results. WRONG! I spent a couple hours with it and adjusted the 5010 just perfectly according to their guidelines and it passed each and every one of their tests. However, once I started playing a real world BD disc, I found the picture needed adjusting. Re-adjusting, actually. The colors were off, the brightness nearly burned my retinas and the contrast made every brunette look as though their hair was made out of Play-Doh. I thought I may have been a little too anxious so I decided to give it another try the next night.

My second attempt started with Spears & Munsil again. Sadly, the results were the same. So I switched to the older standard - DVE. I painstakingly went through the DVE patterns until it passed each and every one of their test. Strangely, the settings in the 5010 menu were quite a bit different using DVE than they were with S&M. Son of a gun if it didn't do the same thing. After calibrating with DVE and playing a few real world BDs, color, tint, brightness and contrast were STILL not what they should be.

I had to take Saturday night off due to the circumstances mentioned above so Sunday night I tried again but this time I was going to use Disney's WOW. Interestingly, Disney's WOW is what the 5010 comes with if you buy it from either Visual Apex or The Projector People. So now I'm starting to think that maybe there's a reason these two items come together just as I did with the Oppo and the S&M disc.

Not only did I use the Disney disc (Advanced option) but I also enlisted the help of my father (who knows a thing or two about accurate displays) to verify and confirm the settings changes. After I went through each phase of the test and made the adjustments, he went through each phase too. We agreed on all but one setting: tint. I thought "7" did what it was supposed to do and he felt "8" did it better. Honestly, there was such a subtle difference between those two, either would be fine. In the end, we nailed it! The only way this projector is going to look better is with an ISF calibration and that's something I plan on doing once I go over 100 hours.

This really is a remarkable projector that produces a stunning picture. In fact, this projector is actually making me fond of the soap opera effect. It makes any image look very real and gives it a significant 3D quality.

Jamhead, I know you've got your sights set on this. I'm telling you, Brother, start saving a few more pennies. You will NOT regret it!

Hurry up and get those 100 hours in. I'm dying to hear your thoughts after having an ISF calibration done.

Zing,

Let us know how your settings compare to the one's in Rope's Link.......

Also, it sounds like you are extremely impressed with this projector........AWESOME!!

heeman said:
Zing,

My settings aren't even close to the Home Theater Magazine's settings in that link but that's all but irrelevant. There are too many variables that come into play such as throw distance, image size, screen material, screen gain, etc.

Glad you got it dialed in Zing, but I'm curious - what do you think the reason is for that much difference between the discs? Different test patterns on each one, the quality of the images, the difference in procedures?

Orbison said:
...what do you think the reason is for that much difference between the discs? Different test patterns on each one, the quality of the images, the difference in procedures?
I think it's any or even all of those possibilities. That, in and of itself, is not terribly surprising to me. What is surprising is the amount of swing. Take Contrast for example:
S&M = -24
DVE = -18
WOW = +2

Go figure.

heeman said:
Zing,

Also, it sounds like you are extremely impressed with this projector........AWESOME!!

Unit-to-unit sample variations, the viewing environment, and the source might render these recommendations less than optimum. They are provided only as a potentially useful starting place.

The settings here that are most likely to translate reliably from one sample to another are those involving specific features with only a few setting options, such as Color Space, Gamma, and Noise Reduction. The ones most likely to be subject to sample variations are video controls offering a wide range of settings. This will be particularly true for color temperature (gray scale) and color management adjustments (where available).

Rope

Zing said:
Orbison said:
...what do you think the reason is for that much difference between the discs? Different test patterns on each one, the quality of the images, the difference in procedures?
I think it's any or even all of those possibilities. That, in and of itself, is not terribly surprising to me. What is surprising is the amount of swing. Take Contrast for example:
S&M = -24
DVE = -18
WOW = +2

Go figure.

That's crazy. Glad you got it dialed in though. Good for you.

I had a chance to see that projector in a fancy home theater shop while in ChiTown visiting family. It was damn impressive, congrats!

Thread Hijack!

I have a frined who is buying the same projector but doesn't know very much about quality screens. He is putting this in an apartment living room in front of a big window. The prvailing thought is the get something that can be mounted to the wall above the window and be pulled down to block out the light.

Suggestions?

All pull down screens will have a gap between the screen and the wall. If you mount the screen in front of the window, that gap will cause ligh to leak into the room from around the screen.

I'd suggest some other form of light control.

You don't need no stinkin' light control with this projector! Sunglasses, maybe. Light control, not so much.

Max, tell your friend, regardless of the type of screen he chooses, just make sure the screen material has a negative gain (i.e., 0.8).

heeman said:
Any updates?
Not really. I'm loving this thing and really glad I made the purchase. I've already been in contact with Chad B, who expects to schedule me late July or early August.

I've thought about posting some screen shots though I'm not really sure what they'll offer, especially without some comparative shots (from the old PJ or old screen).

OK, here's an update. I have a sporadic picture issue that's oh-so-annoying! It happens in a number of instances but I'll use just one (the laptop) for the purpose of diagnosis.

All my sources (including a laptop) are connected to my Integra DTC 9.8 controller via HDMI. I have a single HDMI cable connecting the controller to the projector. I've had it set up this way for years without issue. Suddenly - with the 5010 - I've got some hiccups.

While the laptop is merely "on" and displaying the desktop, the picture is stable. When I open IE (which has Google as its home page), the picture is stable. If I enter a web search query, I get the results and the picture is stable. If I enter an image search, the instant the results are displayed, the picture goes blank. However, if I connect the projector directly to the laptop, I have no issues whatsoever.

That tells me A) it's not the cable and B) it's likely the controller. But what? The controller and all my cables are HDMI 1.3 and the 5010 is 1.4 but none of that should matter since I'm not trying to do 3D.

Here's another scenario: with the usual connection, the instant I open Windows Media Player, I lose the image. Connected directly to the PJ, the image is stable. Again, the issue is only apparent with sources connected to the controller and the controller feeding the PJ.

Thoughts?

Damn I just lost a long-winded response explaining how adding some apple products to video chain may improve your symptoms :happy-smileygiantred:

Seriously, when we had spoke on the phone a few nights ago I explained I had performed a firmware update to my BD player to take care of a sporadic video dropout during playback. It only happened for seconds at a time sometimes once per film, and at other times 3-4 times per film. Well, the update seems to have helped for the first couple flicks since....have you looked into an Integra update for the preamp, addressing the video side of things. That'd be the first thing I'd look into, even if a firmware update doesn't exist at least you'll have eliminated that step...

I'll echo Bats. What firmware version is the Integra DTC 9.8 running?

Rope

Back