• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The New Epson 5010...

Zing said:
Andy - There are some pictures floating around here somewhere but they're scattered in multiple threads for multiple reasons. Here are a couple of older pictures to give you a sense of things.

The front of my room looks essentially like this though the L&R speakers are now much further apart (nearly as wide as there room will allow), they're also inverted (tweeter on bottom, woofer on top) and the 64-inch fixed frame screen has been replaced with an 80-inch electric drop-down screen.

032.jpg

The rear of my room looks essentially like this though the seating has changed and now there's a 5010 mounted to the beams instead of a HC720.

004.jpg

Ah yes, now that does look familiar. What are the speakers?

Once you get the new PJ installed, let's see some new pics! You PJ guys need a thread with pics of your rooms. Us peasants need some photos for inspiration, me Lord.

After a few hours of playing around last night with the Spears & Munsil disc, as well as DVE, I've learned 3 things:
1. I need a few more hours with those calibration discs.
2. The terms Flamethrower and Light Cannon are severe understatements.
3. I've somehow lost the on-screen info from my Integra Pre/Pro. Switching sources, muting, volume adjustments, etc., are no longer being displayed on the screen and I can;t figure out why. It's maddening. :angry-cussingblack:

Take your time.........try to have patience's!!

Thanks for explaining why you chose the 5010 vs the 3010!

YOU SUCK!!!

Zing,
Doesn't the 5010 have THX setting?

I thought I read that the default THX setting hits gray scale at damn near 6500k, and tweaking from that point on is all it takes. Not correct?

Also, what gain is your screen? At your small size (I'm looking at 92" max) , but not knowing your throw distance, I would assume you're well above the 16-22 FL target even in low lamp mode.

Think you need an ND filter to dim it down a little?

Seriously, keep me up to date. I'm still looking into PJ's for some point in the near future (hopefully) and it seems these new 3D projectors have too much light for us small screen users......

would something like a greyhawk be in order here because it is so bright? Ia mfiguring, better blacks and less observed output?

Good idea. The brightness is due in large part to overcoming the loss you'd observe when wearing 3D glasses. But the black levels are reported to be spectacular with this model as well. I'm pretty sure that the standard for reviewing and measuring PJs is to use a 1.0 screen.

jamhead said:
Zing,

I thought I read that the default THX setting hits gray scale at damn near 6500k, and tweaking from that point on is all it takes. Not correct?

Also, what gain is your screen? At your small size (I'm looking at 92" max) , but not knowing your throw distance, I would assume you're well above the 16-22 FL target even in low lamp mode.

Seriously, keep me up to date. I'm still looking into PJ's for some point in the near future (hopefully) and it seems these new 3D projectors have too much light for us small screen users......
No THX mode. You must be thinking of another PJ. Perhaps its predecessor - the 8700UB?

My screen's gain 1.1 and I could definitely benefit from a 0.8 screen. My throw distance is about 12 feet so I could reduce a lot of its brightness by moving the projector further back (which I won't bother doing until such time as I remodel the room.

Zing said:
Rope said:
What's the difference between the 5010 vs 5010e?
Wireless HDMI.

Wireless HDMI ? If projector is wireless HDMI.....what gear sends wireless HDMI ? (3D & new audio formats)....Also, what is the tech behind the bulb assembly (LHE) ?
I'm another peasant..........you suck !

Zing said:
jamhead said:
Zing,

No THX mode. You must be thinking of another PJ. Perhaps its predecessor - the 8700UB?

My screen's gain 1.1 and I could definitely benefit from a 0.8 screen. My throw distance is about 12 feet so I could reduce a lot of its brightness by moving the projector further back (which I won't bother doing until such time as I remodel the room.

Your right. I guess I assumed since the 8700 had it, so did the 5010.

Lowering the gain on the screen could help, but I'd just buy a filter for 30 bucks and call it good.

Do you feel it's too bright.......or, about as bright as a large LCD TV?

Zing said:
3. I've somehow lost the on-screen info from my Integra Pre/Pro. Switching sources, muting, volume adjustments, etc., are no longer being displayed on the screen and I can;t figure out why. It's maddening.
Found it! And I can't believe what was causing it.

This really was infuriating to me so I back-tracked through every single change I've made since yesterday until I resolved the issue and I was prepared to remount my HC720 if needed. As it turns out, since I now have a projector capable of 1080p/24, I thought I'd enable my Oppo's 24 frame rate ability. For what ever reason, that was the culprit. With it off, I see my volume display. With it on, I don't. Weird.

Barney said:
Wireless HDMI ? If projector is wireless HDMI.....what gear sends wireless HDMI ? (3D & new audio formats)....Also, what is the tech behind the bulb assembly (LHE) ?
I'm another peasant..........you suck !
It's actually WirelessHD, Barn. I mistyped. But the premise is the same. The 5010e enables you to stream HD content WITHOUT an HDMI cable needing to be connected to the PJ. Essentially, you would connect your device - let's assume that's a BD player - to the transmitter via HDMI and in turn that transmitter sends the audio and video signals to the receiver in the 5010e. So for people who want to mount a PJ in such a position/location without unsightly wires showing - or fishing them through walls and ceilings - this is a nice option.

As for the lamp, it's a UHE (Ultra High Efficiency) E-TORL 230W lamp.

jamhead said:
Do you feel it's too bright.......or, about as bright as a large LCD TV?
According to the test patterns on both DVE as well as S&M, it's just right but it seems blazingly bright to me. Keep in mind I just came from an aging lamp on my previous PJ so I'm sure that's a large portion of it.

Funny story.

The other day I bought Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol to serve as a maiden movie for the new projector. As I open the case, there is an insert on the left side with the digital copy code. On the right side is an exposed disc that states "Feature Film". Naturally I assume the other disc that's covered by the insert is the bonus materials, special features and digital copy disc. So I grab the Feature Film disc and put it in my player. I navigate through all the BS previews and warnings and finally get to the main menu. Out of habit, I always go to audio options first because I never know what it's going to default to. I want to know for certain that I'm going to get the best lossless track the disc has to offer.

To my surprise, my only choices are English Dolby Digital 5.1, French and English with descriptions (presumably for the hard of seeing). DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1. Seriously? On a new film? So I grab my iPad and see what Blu-ray.com has to say. Yep. Dolby TrueHD. Well, WTF? So I grab the case to see what the back of the jacket says. Yep. Dolby TrueHD. I then go back to the movie's menu and I'm navigating all through it trying to find the TrueHD option. It simply doesn't exist. Now I'm left thinking I got swindled by Amazon selling bogus discs.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting there dumbfounded, the movie starts playing. It looks like shit! WTF!?!?!?! 5 stars on picture quality and 5 stars on audio quality from Bluray.com, everybody's talking about what ear and eye candy this movie is, and here I am with my new PJ and it looks like shit and limited to lossy DD. This just sucks! I eject it and plan a trip to Walmart to see if I can get a copy there that has TrueHD. As I'm putting the disc back in the case, the insert falls out and the first thing I notice on the disc are the words "Special Features". Just as I thought. The bonus material and digital copy disc. As I'm bending down to pick up the insert, I happen to notice the Blu-ray logo on the Special Features disc. Hmmmm, usually that's just standard def stuff. Why would the BD logo be there? Then I notice it says Feature Film on this disc too. AND it had the Dolby TrueHD logo. AND it's blue. :eusa-whistle:

Back