• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The New Home Theater

What is the purpose of this? Thanks

Watching TV in a pitch black room is very bad for your eyes, but we all like a darkened room. So, rather than turning down the room lights with a dimmer - lights which are not neutral in color and could make the accuracy of the TV appear off - some enthusiasts like to install lights behind the TV which light up the wall behind the TV with a neutral color light which ultimately enhances the accuracy of a good TV.

The one drawback to all the efforts to get truly natural bias lights to mount behind the TV is that few people have neutral colored walls behind their TVs. The ideal is a true non-color gray paint for the wall behind the TV so the illumination from a truly non-color bias light will not impact how your eyes see color on the TV. If the wall is painted any shade with color (as damn near every household paint color happens to be), then the effort for a pure white (6.5K) light is somewhat wasted.

Watching TV in a pitch black room is very bad for your eyes, but we all like a darkened room. So, rather than turning down the room lights with a dimmer - lights which are not neutral in color and could make the accuracy of the TV appear off - some enthusiasts like to install lights behind the TV which light up the wall behind the TV with a neutral color light which ultimately enhances the accuracy of a good TV.

The one drawback to all the efforts to get truly natural bias lights to mount behind the TV is that few people have neutral colored walls behind their TVs. The ideal is a true non-color gray paint for the wall behind the TV so the illumination from a truly non-color bias light will not impact how your eyes see color on the TV. If the wall is painted any shade with color (as damn near every household paint color happens to be), then the effort for a pure white (6.5K) light is somewhat wasted.
Ok. So this may be my solution to my wife complaining the room is too dark. And yes I have gray walls

This is one drawback I cannot avoid. The walls in my house are a neutral beige that leans toward gray. Because it is a living room, I cannot do a gray wall behind the display. This is especially true, because the wall the TV is on is contiguous with one of the dining room walls. I am therefore stuck with less than perfect bias lighting, but it beats what I have now (leaving a light on in the adjoining dining room).

Home theaters in non-dedicated rooms are always fraught with compromise. The best I will be able to do is to put acoustic panels on either side of my display and add some drapes for light control and additional absorption. Nothing beyond that is practical. I just hope it is enough to solve some of the audible harshness I get with music at higher volumes.

Home theaters in non-dedicated rooms are always fraught with compromise. The best I will be able to do is to put acoustic panels on either side of my display and add some drapes for light control and additional absorption. Nothing beyond that is practical. I just hope it is enough to solve some of the audible harshness I get with music at higher volumes.

ive had the problem ever since i started in this hobby. we cant really afford a single room just for watching a movie. i used my bedroom at one point, and painted my walls prison grey (like totally flat and ugly man), and while it was great, it was difficult to say a 7,1 system worked awesome in a 10x10 room.

im stuck with soundbars right now, since my kids been hitting things, fiddling with stuff (i dont even check my tv settings anymore since he plays with the remote), and well, i gave up.

thank god for photography., :D

The bias lighting was a little tricky to install, but I am pleased with the way it turned out.
y4m9UiIwqcGJ-hpl3MinMYwD0jPo9mZZE5p2uANuMHSOamKzwJmac2oIbnFWXwnxHRVgOXo8JlomEgXVPs8WGYR4gpsUddY1k90Sq4yxfeHXrFd_ubZ9diG_7ryMzwPxphCj5PInUiFX9zmy5p1vjJLg4hKDv117mVP3kaHFjKlr-kbLYbOMP3onCdDpMS_-af3r3Hy17ByhXDWk7aca5KrDw

y4mpXYtft-SdZWRE4MxQwKn5w7xRQWFRXYfiAd5DLlAydnQ-Mr2EX_cZVN_W94fnPB2flbeRWpso-YDyTeHtjQOTY0KL0-AP3pNIdhpkO9lBzAflaLaERHYPRJThl8ujfdRzrmMpJ7ret6AsTdwloe6wUNT7xUc6zR3WLOh6cjgqOX8w38Qwt6Af5F59dXqNMfKRIMxu4RMTPqq12ES%20(3)

y4mpXYtft-SdZWRE4MxQwKn5w7xRQWFRXYfiAd5DLlAydnQ-Mr2EX_cZVN_W94fnPB2flbeRWpso-YDyTeHtjQOTY0KL0-AP3pNIdhpkO9lBzAflaLaERHYPRJThl8ujfdRzrmMpJ7ret6AsTdwloe6wUNT7xUc6zR3WLOh6cjgqOX8w38Qwt6Af5F59dXqNMfKRIMxu4RMTPqq12ESI08uEQ

The mounting bracket made installing the bottom strip problematic and there was no way to make that light completely even. It was either run the light under the arms and end up with weird artifacts due to sections of the strip being covered, put the light too close to the bottom of the screen and have it way too bright or run it on top of the mounting bracket. We experimented with all three, before settling on the last one as the best bad solution.
Bmj_L85gnPW

I plan to put acoustic panels behind the speakers on either side of the TV. Any suggestions on size and material? I'm going to go with a plain fabric and my daughter is going to paint them. She is thinking that ink will be the best bet, so as to not alter the acoustic function of the panels. I'm super excited, because we will have better acoustics and my daughter's art on the wall.

The picture in the link is one of hers and we want her to do something along these lines.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBlpiy3HBTz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Back