• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Time to Join the Club & Get a New Subwoofer

drrosen2l

I am a long-time member back from the old Sound & Vision days, but I have really not posted anything of substance for awhile (some would say I NEVER posted anything of substance), just lurked around and read the posts for the last couple of years.

I made some upgrades over the past few years, mostly due to items breaking: New TV (70" Sharp Aquos), New receiver (Pioneer Elite), & a Playstation 4.

Anyway, it seems that the plague sweeping the forum caught up with me and my subwoofer went on the fritz last week. It started triggering uncontrollably (even with the input unplugged) and sounded like someone pounding a hammer on the floor upstairs. It was a Velodyne CT-150 that I bought used about 10 years ago when I first started building my HT. Nothing incredible, but a great "starter" sub for my home theater that served me well.

As with the prior items, I was initially upset at my misfortune, then became elated at the prospect of making another upgrade. After doing some research and looking at companies like Hsu, SVS, etc., I went with a sub from Power Sound Audio.

I was familiar with their lineage/history and extremely impressed with their level of response and customer service. Within an hour of contacting their sales support line, I received a detailed response from TomV regarding my potential options, room conditions, etc. After repeated exchanges, I decided to pull the trigger and get their XV30Fse:

:text-link:

After making the purchase earlier today, and given that I only live about an hour away from PSA, I am hoping to be installing it in the next couple of days.

TomV said this purchase would be a "HUGE" upgrade over my Velodyne CT-150. Obviously, I can't wait!!!

-Paul

drrosen2l said:
I decided to pull the trigger and get their XV30Fse:
Oh yeah! A big congrats to you, Paul. I think you're going to need to keep a towel handy when you fire this bad boy up for the first time. The word 'upgrade' is inadequate.

Without question, you suck! And suck bad.

Nice! Looking forward to your review.

Wow!

That is one bad ass sub!

Can't wait to here your feedback.........

:happy-smileygiantred: YOU SUCK!

Welcome back Paul, and yes the level of suckage you have achieved is quite outstanding. :text-welcomewave:

I just finished up all of my testing and getting ready to box it up now. You should hear this sub rattle the roof in the warehouse. Serious pressure. Thanks for the order Paul.

-Jim
Power Sound Audio

Jim Farina said:
I just finished up all of my testing and getting ready to box it up now. You should hear this sub rattle the roof in the warehouse. Serious pressure. Thanks for the order Paul.

-Jim
Power Sound Audio

Thanks for the awesome update! Now I literally CANNOT wait for it to get here!

-Paul

There is a serious case of Upgrade-itis going around. And I really really really don't want to catch it. Too busy flying around my quadcopter and GoPro to think about A/V these days. Think I'm going to spray some lysol around to kill the germs.

Hey, Doctor, where have you been?

fletch-chase_240.jpg

Anyway, it's good to know that the long time member is still kicking. BTW, did you give JBL cinema sub a look before deciding? :think:

92a3f79a_57_1.jpeg

The DirtMerchant said:
Too busy flying around my quadcopter and GoPro to think about A/V these days.

Starting a thread about this in the Tech section, with details and pics and hopefully video, would be highly appreciated!! :banana-dance:

Botch said:
The DirtMerchant said:
Too busy flying around my quadcopter and GoPro to think about A/V these days.

Starting a thread about this in the Tech section, with details and pics and hopefully video, would be highly appreciated!! :banana-dance:

I'll see what I can do...

drrosen2l said:
I am a long-time member back from the old Sound & Vision days, but I have really not posted anything of substance for awhile (some would say I NEVER posted anything of substance), just lurked around and read the posts for the last couple of years.

I made some upgrades over the past few years, mostly due to items breaking: New TV (70" Sharp Aquos), New receiver (Pioneer Elite), & a Playstation 4.

Anyway, it seems that the plague sweeping the forum caught up with me and my subwoofer went on the fritz last week. It started triggering uncontrollably (even with the input unplugged) and sounded like someone pounding a hammer on the floor upstairs. It was a Velodyne CT-150 that I bought used about 10 years ago when I first started building my HT. Nothing incredible, but a great "starter" sub for my home theater that served me well.

As with the prior items, I was initially upset at my misfortune, then became elated at the prospect of making another upgrade. After doing some research and looking at companies like Hsu, SVS, etc., I went with a sub from Power Sound Audio.

I was familiar with their lineage/history and extremely impressed with their level of response and customer service. Within an hour of contacting their sales support line, I received a detailed response from TomV regarding my potential options, room conditions, etc. After repeated exchanges, I decided to pull the trigger and get their XV30Fse:

:text-link:

After making the purchase earlier today, and given that I only live about an hour away from PSA, I am hoping to be installing it in the next couple of days.

TomV said this purchase would be a "HUGE" upgrade over my Velodyne CT-150. Obviously, I can't wait!!!

-Paul

Just a FYI. This picture shows the previous model 15" drivers. All Power-X products now use the new *SE* 15" driver which is a custom variant of the eminence Lab15 platform.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-l ... mpaign=pla

Heck of a driver platform if I do say so..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

DIYer said:
Hey, Doctor, where have you been?

fletch-chase_240.jpg

Anyway, it's good to know that the long time member is still kicking. BTW, did you give JBL cinema sub a look before deciding? :think:

92a3f79a_57_1.jpeg

I consulted all of the home theater experts at the HIGHEST levels!!

Tom V. said:
Just a FYI. This picture shows the previous model 15" drivers. All Power-X products now use the new *SE* 15" driver which is a custom variant of the eminence Lab15 platform.
Thanks for the clarification. In Paul's OP, I saw the "SE" designation and thought that was new but didn't see any reference to it on the site.

I see the Dr. Is in the house. Nice to see you finally posting again. Btw loved the Ashley reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,542
Zing said:
Tom V. said:
Thanks for the clarification. In Paul's OP, I saw the "SE" designation and thought that was new but didn't see any reference to it on the site.

We still need to get through a bunch of website updates including all the new photos of the subwoofers with the newer SE drivers. So much to keep up to date....only 7 days in the week..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Back