• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Time to Join the Club & Get a New Subwoofer

Tom V. said:
Zing said:
Tom V. said:
Just a FYI. This picture shows the previous model 15" drivers. All Power-X products now use the new *SE* 15" driver which is a custom variant of the eminence Lab15 platform.
Thanks for the clarification. In Paul's OP, I saw the "SE" designation and thought that was new but didn't see any reference to it on the site.

We still need to get through a bunch of website updates including all the new photos of the subwoofers with the newer SE drivers. So much to keep up to date....only 7 days in the week..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Yeah, but you gotta be having a blast with this new company Tom!

JeffMackwood said:
Yeah, but you gotta be having a blast with this new company Tom!

More or less. Every once in a while all the stuff that is no fun at all about owning a business starts to pile up and I think...."I could open a bait shop next to a lake somewhere.....spend a few years just reading and relaxing...with NO internet! Then I'll get an email/call from someone telling me how much they are enjoying one of our products and how they just watched a few movies with their kids and the grins never stopped. That's really what's is all about..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Oh that guy/girl is really the least of my worries. Their agenda has become so clear to everyone at this point I believe they really do us more good than anything else. Our website traffic always spikes whenever he/she is on the attack..:)

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd3Ms3LiBdQ

When he talks about standing around doing nothing except criticizing.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

That larger cabinet will have a good effect on the low end and power of the sound delivered.

We used some Carvin TRX18 subs single 18 inch subs and have the two per side still working.
They were upgraded with double 18 cabinets and they have a bit lower extension and the ability to pound you in the chest was more pronounced. Now we some times use a double 18 with two single 18's stacked on top. I look forward to your review also.

That large cabinet would make a good Screen stand. The only problem might be would the vibration cause damage to electronics?

malsackj said:
That larger cabinet will have a good effect on the low end and power of the sound delivered.

We used some Carvin TRX18 subs single 18 inch subs and have the two per side still working.
They were upgraded with double 18 cabinets and they have a bit lower extension and the ability to pound you in the chest was more pronounced. Now we some times use a double 18 with two single 18's stacked on top. I look forward to your review also.

That large cabinet would make a good Screen stand. The only problem might be would the vibration cause damage to electronics?

Front baffle is a full 2" thick, so vibrations are minimized to a large extent.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

:banana-dance: IT HAS ARRIVED!!!! :banana-rock:

. . . and is currently sitting in my garage.

Unfortunately, I will not have anyone to help me move it down into my basement HT and set it up until Saturday afternoon.

Don't leave us hanging!

hanging+goat.jpeg

Well,the new subwoofer arrived this past Thursday on its own designer pallet:

I was a little worried about the "crush" damage on the front side (the only side without much internal padding), but I opened the box, checked it out and it seemed OK.

Unable to convince my 100lb wife to help me carry it down into my basement, I had to wait to Saturday until I could bribe a friend with food & beer to help me move it into my HT. Believe me, I was a b!tch to move. We eventually got it into place . . .

The placement and initial set-up was extremely easy - I just plugged it in, set the basic sub settings (minimal gain) and re-ran my Pioneer Elite room/speaker calibration programs. Everything seemed to be OK, but I had some trouble getting the receiver to pick-up and recognize the correct audio channel inputs (incl. .1) from both my PS3 & PS4 (which I use for Blu-Ray). Some tweaking with the audio formats got the receiver to recognize the correct signals, although I was not entirely happy with the process and will definitely spend more time going back through the audio settings of both the receiver and the PS3/4. It is possible that neither is sending the proper audio format to the receiver.

Anyway, once I got the receiver to recognize/decode the proper signals, I demo'd a bunch of Blu-Rays with my friend: Metallica in Concert, Cloverfield, Blue Man Group, Nightwish. Even the sub is extremely powerful (especially when I turn up the gain a bit :music-rockout: ) it does mesh nicely with my Bowers & Wilkens speakers. Set at higher levels, it provides a serious amount of force and power without sounding over "boomy" (if that makes sense), like my Velodyne used to at higher levels.

The "wholly crap" moment came some time later, when I had issues getting my receiver to recognize my AT&T Uverse audio signal. I put on Apollo 13 on Hi-def, but was not getting any .1 info. So I kept turning up the gain during the movie and walking over to the sub to see if I could notice any output. Every time = nothing . . . until I noticed there was no surround information or output either. So I went into the Uverse settings and found out that the audio output had been reset to stereo only, possibly due to several power outages over the last couple of weeks. I changed the setting to surround and un-paused Apollo 13, forgetting that I had incrementally upped the gain numerous times in the last few minutes. The scene was towards the end with mostly dialogue (i.e. little .1 info), so I again walked over to the subwoofer to see if I could hear difference, and as soon as I stepped right in front of the cabinet, the scene immediately changed to this . . .

It was all LFE and I felt like I had suddenly been hit straight in the chest with a sledgehammer! My wife, watching from the couch (cheap seats), thought it was hilarious and said it looked like I had jumped about four feet in the air!

So yeah, I think I am going to be happy with this upgrade.

drrosen2l said:
It was all LFE and I felt like I had suddenly been hit straight in the chest with a sledgehammer!
Or getting kicked in the chest by a rhinoceros? :think: :shhh:

Dr. Rosen, is a corner position like that your only option?

Botch said:

A corner is usually the best location for a single sub. My Orbit Shifter will be going in the back corner on the riser since that was the location that gave the best response when I did a sub crawl with an XV-15...

CMonster said:
Botch said:

A corner is usually the best location for a single sub. My Orbit Shifter will be going in the back corner on the riser since that was the location that gave the best response when I did a sub crawl with an XV-15...

Hmm, that goes against all I've read about studio setups... :think:

Back