• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Top Ten Speaker Companies

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Hey,

What are some of the Top Ten Speaker Companies out there and their premier affordable models. Between $1500 and $5000 per pair.

Just interested in what you have to say.

I here Dynaudio, Makie, Klipsch, Paradigm...........just to name a few??

PSB

Usher

Focal

Acoustic Energy

Ariel Acoustics

This list has the potential to be endless given your criteria. I suppose you could add the likes of Polk, Infinity and JBL as well. What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Revel
PMC
Thiel
KEF
Atlantic Technologies
B&W

There's plenty more but, it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Rope

Just a basic list of speaker manufactures for friends to look at when they are updating their systems.

Dynaudio, Dynaudio, Dynaudio, Dynaudio, Dynaudio, Dynaudio, Dynaudio, Dynaudio, Dynaudio and Dynaudio......

For the budget conscious I like Paradigm, not that I only like their budget conscious speakers but at a given price point I lean torwards Dynaudio.

To be fair, I am a Dynaudio retailer....so it's kinda a funny, even though I do actually prefer their offerings. Focal, Totem, PMC, KEF and PSB are a few others I like to recommend.

I listened to Paradigm, Klipsch, DefTech, NHT, B&W, a year ago when I bought speakers (all within the $2k ~ 4K range) and to my ears my Monitor Audios beat them all.
I listened to two brands way out of my price range: the Magneplanes I didn't like at all, and the Lamm's were incredible, but at $14,000/speaker, heh no.... :(

Depending on how you look at it, you could say Bose is also a Top Ten speaker company. Does that mean I would have a set in my house? Fuck no!, but you can't (unfortunately) deny them the standard they have set with so many (uneducated) people.

Is it funny that no one has said SVS, after all the love they got? :eusa-whistle: I don't know if my recommendations are "Top 10" material. But for the money, I like Linn, Vandersteen and Vienna Acoustics. I have been very pleased with anything played on those.

milpool said:
Is it funny that no one has said SVS, after all the love they got? :eusa-whistle: I don't know if my recommendations are "Top 10" material. But for the money, I like Linn, Vandersteen and Vienna Acoustics. I have been very pleased with anything played on those.

Yep how quickly the mighty can fall in here.

I love Paradigm for bang-for-the-buck. I'm not entirely fond of the voicing on B&W's speakers. I have not heard the newer SVS speakes, so I can't speak for them (LOVE their subs though). I generally don't like Polk, but really liked the LSi series. I'm not hugely fond of Klipsch, except for the Legacy series and even then, I don't like the way they are voiced from the factory. I'm not all that wild about Boston Acoustics or what they did to Snell. I do like Dynaudio a LOT. I've also been pretty impressed with Usher, Ariel Acoustics, Harbeth and Revel. The Wilson Audio speakers I heard at Bob's were pretty amazing.

Botch, I was curious what was it you did not like about the Magnepan speakers? Do you remember what model # it was?

Zing said:
Haywood said:
The Wilson Audio speakers I heard at Bob's were pretty amazing.
REALLY?! That's a first for me. What model were they?

If I remember correctly from a picture he once posted, he has a pair of WATT Puppy. It left an impression. I heard those speakers once at a retailer in Atlanta. Hell of a speaker.

TitaniumTroy said:
Botch, I was curious what was it you did not like about the Magnepan speakers? Do you remember what model # it was?
If your head was in exactly the right spot, they sound good, and rather unique, but just tipping your head to one side changes the sound quite a lot, and that doesn't happen in a live music situation. I don't remember the model number, they had a subwoofer base and the ES screen mounted to that, tipped backwards a bit.
I remember someone here does have the Magnepans (was it you Troy?) and I don't mean to step on any toes; they're just not my cup of tea (I've never cared for horn speakers like Klipsch, either).

Botch, from your physical description I am thinking it was a pair of Martin Logan electrostatic's similar to these perhaps.
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/vantage The narrow sweet spot you described is know as the Head In A Vise effect. Which is the why electrostatic panel is curved, to increase their dispersion but apparently not well enough for that model. Wardsweb has a pair or two of their top of the line models.

Magnepan uses planer magnetic panels, which is kind of like a voice coil attached to Saran Wrap, also no subwoofer mounted on the bottom. Have been wanting to hear some of Martin Logan's hybrid speakers myself, to compare their sound to my Magenpan's. Thanks for your reply Botch.

Heeman, you can get a 60day free trial of a pair of Magnepan MMG speakers, with a one year upgrade offer on the full price, for $600.00

I am sticking with the Paradigm Studio 60's; CC V2 and Studio 20's for now and probably for a long time.

BTW - The wife just called and the CC V2 was just delivered!!!

I am in the process of cutting material for the Ceiling supports for the Studio 20 rears that I will mount these to http://pinpointmounts.com/am40.html

Making progress!!!

TitaniumTroy said:
Botch, from your physical description I am thinking it was a pair of Martin Logan electrostatic's similar to these perhaps.
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/vantage The narrow sweet spot you described is know as the Head In A Vise effect. Which is the why electrostatic panel is curved, to increase their dispersion but apparently not well enough for that model. Wardsweb has a pair or two of their top of the line models.

Magnepan uses planer magnetic panels, which is kind of like a voice coil attached to Saran Wrap, also no subwoofer mounted on the bottom. Have been wanting to hear some of Martin Logan's hybrid speakers myself, to compare their sound to my Magenpan's. Thanks for your reply Botch.

Heeman, you can get a 60day free trial of a pair of Magnepan MMG speakers, with a one year upgrade offer on the full price, for $600.00
d'Oh, you are correct, it was those Martin-Logans I'd heard, don't think I've heard Magnepans...

Back