• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

True Grit

mzpro5

Famous
I like the Coen brothers but don't think a remake of True Grit is needed. Anyway here is a trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUiCu-zuAgM[/youtube]

Saw the preview the other day. Not entirely sold, but I do like Bridges. I think I'll see him in Tron Legacy first and then just rent Grit when it comes to home video.

Coen brothers work may hold value. But then it's a personal taste so who knows what others may feel.

For me, it's a matter of some things shouldn't be redone. I think the Duke is one of them. Don't get me wrong, I like Jeff Bridges in just about everything I've saw him in, but I think True Grit is one of those films that should be left as is. Could you imagine Russel Crow as Josey Wales? It would be along the same lines.

There called classics for a reason.

I feel the same way about some of remakes, i.e. The Day Earth Stood Still. But looks like this one is already concluded so I might as well (try to) enjoy it. Now if there is some kind of voting session on whether to remake or not then sure, I'll vote no.

I am actually pretty excited about this, IMO there hasnt been a decent western since Open Range so this may suffice.

walls said:
I am actually pretty excited about this, IMO there hasnt been a decent western since Open Range so this may suffice.

Me too. I usually enjoy Coen bros. movies....so I'm pretty jazzed about this one.

First "civilian" IMDB review of True Grit(by some guy who lives in Hollywood). The critics pretty much universally love it from what I've read.

Those of you who wonder why someone would remake a good film, need to withhold judgment until seeing this film. It was one of the most authentic westerns I've ever had the privilege of viewing, and I am a die-hard western aficionado, and true-west historian. The costumes, the buildings, the interiors, and the dialogue were so meticulously crafted that I felt entirely immersed in a world long since forgotten, and often misunderstood. The acting was unbelievable as you'd expect from such established, accomplished thespians, but Hailee Steinfeld was a revelation, holding her own, if not carrying the entire film on her relatively small shoulders. The Brothers Coen have justified their choice to adapt Charles Portis' novel, not remake the John Wayne classic. The impact, and visceral reality of life in such places and times, coupled with the abrupt, brutal violence is something you didn't fully grasp in the grandstanding, heroics of the 1969 version. I applaud the Coens for exercising restraint and understatement to allow the scenes and the situations to breathe and take there natural course. Overall, it was an amazing cinematic experience that truly transports the viewer to a very real and fully realized time and space that crackles with fire and true grit.

Link to full review

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/usercomments

I'd definitely give this movie a try. I'm one who can rarely sit through old movies no matter how good because I find the campy SFX or set pieces to be distracting. I'll probably get crucified for saying that which is fine. I love a good western and it seems to be a dying genre, so this "remake" will give me a chance to see a story on screen I probably wouldn't have otherwise. That review only reinforces why I should go see it...thanks.

I really want to see this one, hope it is as good as No Country For Old Men. Jeff Bridges comes off as one cranky, crusty, but bad ass, old fart.
The girl is rumored to be up for an Oscar too.

So Bats how far back in time can you watch a movie before you cant take it, just curious?

^ probably about ~1970-75 timeframe and that's pushing it... :eusa-whistle:

First off, this isn't a remake of the John Wayne movie. The original "True Grit" was a retelling of a western novel which strayed VERY far from the original book. The new Cohen movie is a retelling of the original book which is stays closer to the plot of the book.

Saying one movie which as only partially associated with a book is the only version we should ever see isn't fair.

Now, if this movie were based solely on the original movie, I would agree with you guys 100%.

51FRIApek1L._SS500_.jpg

Ugh........remake......non remake......reimagining......who cares???? Just see it and decide for yourself. Me, im in on opening day, I love good westerns, and lets face it, not too many new ones to go around.

Flint said:
First off, this isn't a remake of the John Wayne movie. The original "True Grit" was a retelling of a western novel which strayed VERY far from the original book. The new Cohen movie is a retelling of the original book which is stays closer to the plot of the book.

Saying one movie which as only partially associated with a book is the only version we should ever see isn't fair.

Now, if this movie were based solely on the original movie, I would agree with you guys 100%.

51FRIApek1L._SS500_.jpg
I'd like to see your review. I'm not much of a John Wayne guy, but he did make a lot of sucessful movies. True Grit, for him, was his lifetime achievment award from the academy. And I really liked the movie. Jeff Bridges got his lifetime achievment award last year.

Fantastic film! Bridges was really....REALLY good in this as well as the girl (name escapes me). I am not gonna get to far into a full review with spoilers until more of you have seen it.

All I am gonna say is that thyis is the first film I saw at the theater since Avatar and I liked this one much more. LOL!!

The critics are pretty universal in their praise, too. :thumb:

Saw it yesterday and I have to say I thought it was a very good movie. Jeff Bridges was extremely believeable in his character. The storyline was very good. The little girl was awesome and made the movie in my opinion. Matt Damon was OK.

Highly reccomended. My brother and my nephew agreed that it was well worth the watch. My wife thought it was just OK, but I could have predicted that. She wanted to see The Fighter, because it has Mark Walberg in it.

Back