• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

TV/Component Stands

FreshDTSht

Hey guys...

Just out of curiosity, what are you guys doing for stands and component shelving? Especially those of you still with DLP TV's... My wife and I looked at Salamander Design stuff before we got married. We were really impressed with it, but decided a fun trip to the west coast and HI was a little more important at that time. The price is a bit steep, even though they seem to be built to be pretty bulletproof.
I've got a glass shelf stand, but I've got my Paradigm Mini-Monitor CC speaker propped up on a shelf using my tv, which is distorting the top of the picture. I may be able to arrange things on the stand to put the speaker there, but I'd like to just take a look at other options also.

What do you guys use? Any preference for a particular type or brand of furniture that is built with this equipment in mind?

So if I am reading this correctly, you are using a regular Mini Monitor for a center channel, and not a CC-370 (or some other horizontal cabinet CC). I do the exact same thing with 3 Studio 20's in the front. I had a HELL of a time finding a stand that could accommodate a Studio 20 and provide enough component space for a STB, receiver, BD, etc... Depth was also an issue for me. I looked high and low and was struggling to find anything. Then, one day I was in a store called American TV Furniture & Appliance (mostly with stores in the midwest) and I saw a unit that was more or less perfect. The only down side was that it was made by Sauder. I'm not sure if you've owned anything made by them, but it's generally cheap in price and quality. Made of particle board etc... However, if you assemble it carefully and don't move it much it will be fine. It's definitely low end stuff, but they've gotten more attractive recently. For me, I had almost no other options and it was only $200. I had to modify the doors to add some plexiglass, but all in all I've been happy with it. I'll post a picture on another post.

Go DIY. You may want to ask Yesfan about his custom made DIY rack.

DIYflexi-rack006.jpg

Yup, Yesfan'sDIY rack is very nice and pretty easy to put one together with some basic handtools. Cutting and finishing the wood is the hardest part, I would think. It is the wood of your choosing, threaded rod, some washers, nuts, and bolts. Add casters as he did if you want to move it.

I like the flex-rack design but I would HAVE to add a back to help hide all the wiring.

That's a pretty cool stand that Yesfan has... the problem for me is I live in a condo and I really don't have a 'work shop' that I can build something like that in, otherwise it's probably within the skill level of something I wouldn't hesitate taking on.

As an alternative, does anyone know of a place that sells larger shelves, and by large, I mean depth-wise? My current shelf resting on my DLP distorts the picture, and I'd like to put a shelf on the wall (lag bolted most likely) to put the speaker on if I can't afford the new stand with a CC location in it.

Really what it comes down to at the moment is that I have room on the stand, but the CC is pretty heavy and it is weighing on the TV itself, which is not good. I was tossing around building something out of 80/20 extruded aluminum, and painting it a certain color as a solution for this. Again, it'd be nice if I had a small workshop to do something like this! :geek:

FreshDTSht said:
That's a pretty cool stand that Yesfan has... the problem for me is I live in a condo and I really don't have a 'work shop' that I can build something like that in, otherwise it's probably within the skill level of something I wouldn't hesitate taking on.

As an alternative, does anyone know of a place that sells larger shelves, and by large, I mean depth-wise? My current shelf resting on my DLP distorts the picture, and I'd like to put a shelf on the wall (lag bolted most likely) to put the speaker on if I can't afford the new stand with a CC location in it.

Really what it comes down to at the moment is that I have room on the stand, but the CC is pretty heavy and it is weighing on the TV itself, which is not good. I was tossing around building something out of 80/20 extruded aluminum, and painting it a certain color as a solution for this. Again, it'd be nice if I had a small workshop to do something like this! :geek:

You should be able to find something at Lowe's or Home Depot. I recently purchased a shelf and 3 brackets for our kitchen microwave. It wasn't expensive and is sturdy as heck. Look around the aisles that have closet organization products. There should be some nice looking shelves and brackets there.

Do you have an IKEA close by? They have several models of HT stands that you assemble on your living room floor with a supplied allen wrench. All my bookshelves are IKEA, I can't even build anything from scratch that costs less...

Towen7 said:
I like the flex-rack design but I would HAVE to add a back to help hide all the wiring.

I have some peg board I can put for a backer, but just haven't gotten off my ass to do it. :oops: :oops:

Fresh,

You can have Lowes or Home Depot cut your shelves for you if you want to go the flexy rack route. That's what I did and all I had to do was drill my holes for the all-thread and stain the shelves and paint the all-thread rods. For the sides, I used veneer trim to hide the plywood layers and make it look like a solid piece of wood.

IMO, for pure function nothing beats a flexy rack. You are only limited in your imagination. They are infinitely adjustable and you can add on shelves and expand out in any direction.

The CD unit I have against one of my walls is getting full. I've thought about buying another unit as I need space for my growing DVD collection and Blurays since I (finally) got a player. I may just make another flexy that covers the length and height of the entire wall.

Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Back