• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Well, now we know...

I used to like Digital Trends but they've been on this kick lately where they make bold, categorical claims about audio products being omnipotent when they're merely above average at best. I called out the author of one such article on Twitter last month for claiming the SVS Ultra SB16 was "the best subwoofer money can buy".

Digital Trends is becoming a joke.

Wow not only does it take a massive sack to claim any speaker is the best, it would take not only a sack with proportions of which are unthinkable it take being tone deff to make these choices.
Based on what I know of a few of the speakers choosen they are solid low price performing speakers that deserve some credit. They are however as far away from being the best out there. Extremely far away.

I’ve heard those and they’re nice. A steal for the money. But ... the best speakers ever? Not even close.

@Zing don't get me wrong, you're probably dead on about digital trends BUT if I had to buy a sub right now without auditioning I would buy the PB16U based on my experience with PB13U. The power and subtlety of that sub are pretty amazing. Now do I KNOW that translates to the new model without our beloved Tom V's involvement? Nope, which is why I would love to hear TSA's dual 15 head to head with it. Anyway I get the gist of what you're saying.

John

If the article were renamed, "Best Bang for the Buck Speaker Picks," I would have less of a problem with it.

@Zing don't get me wrong, you're probably dead on about digital trends BUT if I had to buy a sub right now without auditioning I would buy the PB16U based on my experience with PB13U. The power and subtlety of that sub are pretty amazing. Now do I KNOW that translates to the new model without our beloved Tom V's involvement? Nope, which is why I would love to hear TSA's dual 15 head to head with it. Anyway I get the gist of what you're saying.

John
I didn't mean to imply the Ultra subs were "merely above average at best" in my earlier post. That was more a reference to the OP's article and its list of products. But the latter part of my post was a direct reference to this article and, in particular, this statement:

"Never spend more than $2,000 on a subwoofer, and never spend it on anything other than the SVS SB16-Ultra. This is the finest subwoofer you can buy."
That's an awfully bold statement from a guy whose testing of the sub seemingly consisted of watching a scene from 'Red' and kicking the sub's driver. :suspicious:

Re subs: my own advice to anyone looking to a buy a sub, in whatever price category and for whatever reason, is to call both SVS and PSA, talk to their folks, who will then suggest something that's right for them. THEN you have a choice to make. But the initial choice of where to start is pretty simple. And no, I'm not saying that there are not dozens of others to consider, but in the interest of keeping life simpler and less stressful, and in the interest of getting a good deal for a very good product, that's what I recommend.

Back