• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Well shit....

walls

My ten year old 15" Cerwin Vega died last night. Not a musical sub but it did it's job quite well for movies. I have No plans to try to fix it, I paid $350 for it ten years ago so putting any kind of money into it at this point would be a waste IMO. It powered itself on and off a few times during a movie and then finally went quiet, which leads me to believe it's not a fuse.

Soooo...... I have not read about, shopped for or even bothered to listen to a sub in YEARS. Any thoughts would be helpful on which way to go. I would like to stay somewhere in the $600 or less range.

Thanks.

:( That's three of us who've lost a sub in the last couple months...

I know where you can get a mint SVS PB12/NSD2 for less than $400. :eusa-whistle:

Botch said:
:( That's three of us who've lost a sub in the last couple months...

Ya know I think it died because I came back here. :angry-cussingblack:

I've been so into my headphone stuff that I haven't been paying attention to home theater stuff for a long time.

sorry to hear about that walls, seems to me that zings got a great looking deal for you if ever.

psa is a great company, and one of their main components is the people behind it.

ive recently got the pb-1000 from svs tho, given that its all i could afford back then $500 tops. they currently have the 2000 series, newer models, but also upgraded apparently from the older ones. i think theyre at 700 clams.

hoping all goes well for you bud. if i wasnt strapped for cash house hunting, id be all over zing. no pun intended.

zings sub.

zings subwoofer.

:angry-banghead:

Well my Paradigm has not shot craps but with the reconfigure I cant get the damn thins to worl so I am in the same boat. LOL

Tips for those with dead or dying sub, it's time for diy sub. The benefit is that you know what and how to replace when they carp out and there's big cost savings to be had.

That sucks Walls!! We're going to have our own sub-forum pretty soon it looks like.

John

I hear ya. I'm not gonna do DYI I am just gonna research and buy a new sub. I find it hard to believe that I can buy some parts and put togather a sub that can compete with guys that have been doing it for years. Lol.

I am starting a CRACK BOTTLEHEAD and am going to put it against my current headphone amps but that seems minuscule compared to building my own sub, lol.

walls said:
I find it hard to believe that I can buy some parts and put togather a sub that can compete with guys that have been doing it for years. Lol.
Sub design is not as complicated as speaker design (the placement of it in the room is though). Plus, there are those who reverse engineer the designs done by the "guys that have been doing it for years" and diy for much less $. The advantage of diy sub is that the limiting factors like practical shipping weight and size of consumer market don't come into play. Also, there is no price markup.

I posted the drawings for building an amazingly musical sub on the S&V site. I used the Parts Express Dayton Audio Titanic 12" drive to make two boxes of different shapes. Later I posted drawings for the 15" Titanic driver.

I think the sub drivers I used are out of production now. I could easily get the basic cabinet dimensions for one of the new sub drivers. You'd need to build an airtight box from MDF, the rest is pretty easy.

^ I know someone who built one with 12" driver and he loves it. It cost him around $400 total (plus his labor). I visited his living room / HT and was impressed by the performance. It can really shake the room.

Can you guys rec. some parts for me? After really thinking about it I think I may try a DYI sub. After looking at some of the prices I can almost build a pair of subs for the price of one.

See if Flint saved his S&V sub build post. If not, here is a kit which is an easy way to diy. If you have the means to cut mdf boards and assemble the enclosure from scratch, it will be even cheaper or get better parts for same budget.
Here is another kit.

If you want to diy all the way, here's a good source.

And you guys think that these home built subs can keep up with the likes of SVS and such????

If you pick the parts and configuration that can compete with them, then yes and then some.

But then the prices for those components will go up as well right?

I wish there was a way to audition nice subs at home. Ugh.

Back