• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Well shit....

They do cost more but still cheaper than quality pre-made subs.
walls said:
I wish there was a way to audition nice subs at home. Ugh.
Only way to audition diy sub is to visit those who have them. When I looked up diy sub sites, I've seen some who post their willingness to let the visitors in.

^ Or buy from a company that allows for an in-home trial, like PSA. And if you don't want to risk spending any money on shipping, SVS now offers return shipping (not sure if PSA does too).

walls said:
Can you guys rec. some parts for me? After really thinking about it I think I may try a DYI sub. After looking at some of the prices I can almost build a pair of subs for the price of one.

This would be the current version of the 15" driver Flint used earlier

And this is the 12" version of the driver.

As for the plate amp, this may work. It's class D, but I don't know how much that matters for a sub. Hopefully someone with better ears and undersstanding than I can explain. The reason I picked it from the list was because it had a variable phase and was relatively inexpensive. All the other brands of plate amps on Parts Express only had the 180/0 flip switch and were a little more expensive.

And like Flint said, designing and building a sub box is relatively easy.

Put this all together and you have a vote for building your own.

For a vented enclosure, I'd use the plate amp without the bass boost at 25Hz:

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd500 ... t--301-512

For the enclosure, once you pick the driver (I'd go with the 12" model and build two subs if you need more output) we can provide some guidance on the dimensions. You'd need to have decent skills working with MDF, which is very easy if you have the right tools (table saw with good fence is the most critical).

20+ year union carpenter here! skills and tools are no problem have them both.

I have racked open the old sub, pretty sure it's cooked. Fuse is fine and the cord is removable so for shits and giggles I tried another and still nothing.

Just about done building my Bottlehead Crack, then I will most likely start a sub.

walls said:
Then there is no question that diy is the way to go for your next sub. :!:

DIYer said:
walls said:
Then there is no question that diy is the way to go for your next sub. :!:

Hell I don't know why he hasn't been building subs for all of us. :angelic-green:

If its your own house,and if you have the area, heck do infinite baffle. People have said that Flints, really is killer.

Deerhunter said:
If its your own house,and if you have the area, heck do infinite baffle. People have said that Flints, really is killer.
^^
THIS! :handgestures-thumbup:

Rope

SUB1.JPG

This will get you a big + with the Mrs.

Rope

Gonna hand pick my pieces tomorrow for the enclosure, I buy a lot of material from a great lumber yard that carries some fine hardwoods. Gonna be fun!

Back