• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

a366228348a0acf636535110.L.png

Not Too Late -- CD

Norah Jones

2007 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Although the music of Norah Jones continues to blend pop, soul, folk, and country with a seasoning of jazz, her third album for Blue Note is the first where she's written (or collaborated on) all the material. Beneath the smooth surface lie darker strains on the album-opening "Wish I Could" (about a boyfriend lost to war), intimations of mortality in "The Sun Doesn't Like You," and the post-election horrors of "My Dear Country." The last seems to channel the inspiration of Brecht/Weill, while the equally bleak "Sinkin' Soon" is set to a jaunty Dixieland rag. Throughout, Jones's vocal intimacy and melodic warmth remain as disarmingly understated as ever. The soulful "Thinking of You," the countryish "Wake Me Up," and the syncopated "Be My Somebody" reflect the captivating style of her previous work. Although too much in the same midtempo mode becomes a dreamy lull, cut by cut, Jones's voice is irresistible. --Don McLeese

1. "Wish I Could" Norah Jones, Lee Alexander 4:17
2. "Sinkin' Soon" Jones, Alexander 4:37
3. "The Sun Doesn't Like You" Jones, Alexander 2:59
4. "Until the End" Jones, Alexander 3:55
5. "Not My Friend" Jones 2:54
6. "Thinking About You" Jones, Ilhan Ersahin 3:20
7. "Broken" Jones, Alexander 3:20
8. "My Dear Country" Jones 3:24
9. "Wake Me Up" Jones, Alexander 2:46
10. "Be My Somebody" Jones 3:36
11. "Little Room" Jones 2:43
12. "Rosie's Lullaby" Jones, Daru Oda 3:56
13. "Not Too Late" Jones, Alexander 3:31

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Not-Too-Late-...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299166601&sr=1-1

As they say in the radio business I am doing a double shot right now!!
41y4F4CTRRL._SS400_.jpg

followed by this:
51nrl1cq%2BIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks to Razz who mentioned these guys over at S&V, I checked them out. 4 of their cds later I still love em!!!
Mike

Lady-Antebellum-2010-300-01.jpg

Just got my "Grammy Winner" box from Amazon. Every year I watch the show and get at least one new artist that I wasn't familiar with, and end up becoming a fan. This year there were four: the above, Cee Lo Green"s The Lady Killer, Esperanza Spalding's self-titled release, and Muse's The Resistance.

Lady's hit single Need you now is playing right now, what a killer song! :music-listening:

355107_f496.jpg

I'm really liking this! The first tune, Ponta de Areia, I recognized and knew it was in my collection somewhere, Wiki told me its an older Latin tune that was covered on Earth Wind & Fire's All 'n All album, which is where I know it from. The tune was extensively reharmonized, with the chords covered by female vocals, very nice! Lots of percussion on this disk too.
:text-bravo:

mcad64 said:
As they say in the radio business I am doing a double shot right now!!
51nrl1cq%2BIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks to Razz who mentioned these guys over at S&V, I checked them out. 4 of their cds later I still love em!!!
Mike

I actually have that one (Sundown) too, just haven't gotten around to listening to it yet... How do you like it compared to the others?

Bonnie_Raitt_-_Luck_of_the_Draw.jpg

Cranking this one through the Parasound HCA-1000A and the Studio 20's.. :banana-dance: :banana-rock:

No hum, I hope - other than from your own vocal chords, I mean! :D

51NXsWG-5-L._SS500_.jpg

85 Candles - Live In New York -- 2 CD Set

Marian McPartland & Friends

2005 Concord Music

On the day after Marian McPartland turned 85, this large group of her jazz friends got together at Birdland in New York to celebrate with her. She played piano with them in an endearing program of love songs that belie their affection for each other. Everybody loves Marian McPartland and respects her for her many accomplishments.

Concord's 2-CD set captures this event in detail. It has aired on NPR several times. McPartland enjoyed the get-together. Of the evening's effect on her, she remarked, "It was wonderful having all these people at a party and then getting to play with so many of my friends."

On 85 Candles she performs piano duets with Dr. Billy Taylor, Jason Moran and George Wein. Norah Jones sings "The Nearness of You" with McPartland's trio. Karrin Allyson sings the pianist's "Twilight World." Nnenna Freelon sings "What Am I Here For?" and Jackie Cain sings "While We're Young" with McPartland's piano accompaniment. Clark Terry and Phil Woods are on hand to participate. Roy Hargrove performs "My Foolish Heart" with McPartland at the piano, and Barbara Carroll sings "Old Friend" from the heart.

Regina Carter interprets "I Can't Believe that You're in Love With Me" with reflections of Swing. Jim Hall and McPartland create a "Free Piece" that plunges into the inner depths of musical partnership. They communicate openly and freely.

"But Not For Me" features Curtis Stigers with McPartland, Gary Mazzaroppi, and Glenn Davis. His enthusiastic swing and lively scat chorus represent a whole generation of great straight-ahead jazz. "I've Told Every Little Star" features Jackie King with the same trio. As with everyone else on the program, the guitarist tugs at our heartstrings in the spirit of the evening. His warm, fluid delivery proves memorable.

McPartland's trio interpretation of "Yesterdays" brings Bill Crow on board with drummer Davis. Together, they sashay gracefully through reflections of more than a half century in jazz. She's been performing like this since 1938, and plans to continue forever. We're fortunate to have her in our corner of the planet.

Track listing

DISC 1:

1. I Love You
2. Nearness of You, The
3. Tangerine
4. Last Night When We Were Young
5. Twilight World
6. I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me
7. Free Piece
8. Old Friend
9. Have You Met Miss Jones
10. Take the 'A' Train
11. Summertime

DISC 2:

1. All Blues
2. My Foolish Heart
3. But Not For Me
4. Memories of You
5. Yesterdays
6. While We're Young
7. I've Told Every Little Star
8. Capricious
9. What Am I Here For
10. Onyx Mood / Soft Lights & Sweet Music / Kaleidoscope
11. Lester Leaps In

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/85-Candles-Li...BJSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299203405&sr=1-1

41dOY-fCAiL.jpg

Along Came John -- CD

John Patton

1963/2000 Blue Note Records

Near definitive soul-jazz session, July 4, 2000
By
Thomas Aikin (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Along Came John (Audio CD)

I would rate this album 4 1/2 stars, but thats not an option. While not quite an all-time classic its certainly first rate and a necessary buy for soul-jazz enthusiasts. Its probably the best available introduction to John Patton's talents on the Hammond B3 as well.

This session marks Patton's first as a leader for Blue Note. Rounding out the group are Grant Green {guitar), Ben Dixon (drums), and Fred Jackson and Harold Vicks (both on tenor sax). The strength of this release lies in the rhythm section of Patton, Green, and Dixon. As a trio they backed numerous classic Blue Note groove sessions and have a competely organic interplay and sound. Their experience playing together really is evident on this session. The sound is effortless and easy. Jackson and Vick are two obscure but excellent soul-jazz saxophonists who are are in good form here with a bluesy, gritty sound.

For those not familiar with Patton, he is perhaps the best of the legions of Jimmy Smith followers on the Hammond organ. Patton may actually be a better groove player than Smith as his playing is more blues and less bop. He's certainly in top form here. Most of the tempos are moderate to brisk and induce foot-tapping.

All in all a most welcome reissue. If you like soul jazz and haven't been exposed to John Patton you simply must purchase this title. Excellent sound quality as well.
All compositions by John Patton except as indicated

1. "The Sliver Meter" (Ben Dixon) - 5:41
2. "I'll Never Be Free" (Bennie Benjamin, George David Weiss) - 5:03
3. "Spiffy Diffy" (Dixon) - 6:02
4. "Along Came John" - 6:03
5. "Gee Gee" - 6:01
6. "Pig Foots" (Dixon) - 5:44

* Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on April 5, 1963.

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Along-Came-John-Patton/dp/B00004SQ2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299206787&sr=1-1

Dennie said:
51NXsWG-5-L._SS500_.jpg

I'd heard a radio interview between Marian and Donald Fagen, of Steely Dan. They both had a piano in front of them and played musical examples to each other throughout the interview, absolutely fascinating. I may actually have it on CD, I'll have to check tomorrow...

Botch said:

Just got my "Grammy Winner" box from Amazon. Every year I watch the show and get at least one new artist that I wasn't familiar with, and end up becoming a fan. This year there were four: the above, Cee Lo Green"s The Lady Killer, Esperanza Spalding's self-titled release, and Muse's The Resistance.

Lady's hit single Need you now is playing right now, what a killer song! :music-listening:

Nice Haul Botch!

Note to self: Never watch the Grammy Awards!! LOL

Now tell me, how is the rest of the "Need You Now" album? I've thought about getting it, but I thought it might be a "One Hit" album.

Esperanza Spalding is really good and I was glad to hear she was recognized by the "Academy"!

Dennie

Botch said:
Dennie said:
51NXsWG-5-L._SS500_.jpg

I'd heard a radio interview between Marian and Donald Fagen, of Steely Dan. They both had a piano in front of them and played musical examples to each other throughout the interview, absolutely fascinating. I may actually have it on CD, I'll have to check tomorrow...
That sounds really cool!

Let me know if you find it and the title, that way I can have one too! :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks,

Dennie

Dennie said:
Botch said:
Now tell me, how is the rest of the "Need You Now" album? I've thought about getting it, but I thought it might be a "One Hit" album.
Dennie
I only listened to it once today (wanted to listen to the entire haul at least once) and I noticed several really good songs (and I'm not really a big country fan), I'll elaborate more after a few more listens... The recording quality wasn't as clean as others I've heard, though... :think:

Botch said:
Dennie said:
Botch said:
Dennie
I only listened to it once today (wanted to listen to the entire haul at least once) and I noticed several really good songs (and I'm not really a big country fan), I'll elaborate more after a few more listens... The recording quality wasn't as clean as others I've heard, though... :think:
Thanks!

I've got my used music dealer keeping an eye out for one!

Dennie

Possibly my favorite "Mark Knopfler" album......

Really, I enjoy just about everything he has done! :text-bravo:

9527228348a054ba19bc7110.L.jpg

Golden Heart -- CD

Mark Knopfler

1996 Reprise Records

A Little Bit of Everything, October 2, 2000
By Michael M. (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Golden Heart (Audio CD)

Released back in 1996, Mark Knopfler's first official solo effort, "Golden Heart," defies classification. Since the songs range across such a wide spectrum-Celtic, Cajun, rock, and country (styles which Knopfler so obviously cherishes)-you can't really call this a "rock album."

It's just MUSIC, pure and simple. And as the title suggests, more love songs than you'd normally find on a Dire Straits record. The opening track, "Darling Pretty," is rife with Knopfler's usual guitar artistry. But his message of being able to draw strength from love and thus overcome life's adversities is remarkably touching: "Love will find a way, my Darling Pretty/Find a heaven for you and I." (An aside here: my wife and I actually chose this one as our wedding song four years ago. It may not be the easiest thing to dance to, but it fit our situation perfectly.)

The title track is equally moving, and so gentle, it actually brought a lump to my throat the first time I heard it. And if you've got an ounce of Irish in you, "A Night in Summer Long Ago" might also get you misty. I once worked with a fellow Irishman, who admitted that this one actually had him sobbing, since it reminded him of the songs he grew up with.

But before you start thinking Knopfler's gone completely soft, check out "Imelda," which could be his hardest rocking and most satisfying tune since "Money for Nothing." The song climaxes in a solo that sounds like a guitar duel between Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix, and it had me smiling.

"Don't You Get It" is another fine example of his approach to straightforward rock-and-roll, but songs like "Cannibals" and "Je Suis Desole" represent something new for Knopfler fans: a Cajun influence! What's even more surprising is that he is able to pull it off so convincingly.

Like Bob Dylan, Knopfler's love-them-or-hate-them vocals are often overlooked, but if you're a fan, you'll think he sounds great here. His smoky rasp is actually an asset on songs like "Are We in Trouble Now" and "Done With Bonaparte." But on "I'm the Fool" he sounds so crisp and smooth, you might think he had the assistance of a guest vocalist.

Overall, almost as solid as the just-released "Sailing to Philadelphia," but because of the album's sheer eclectic nature, it has often been mistakenly labeled as "uneven." Please don't be fooled: Knopfler's decision making is based on his genuine affection for the music, not an attempt to confound the listener.

All tracks are written by Mark Knopfler.

1. "Darling Pretty" – 4:31
2. "Imelda" – 5:26
3. "Golden Heart" – 5:01
4. "No Can Do" – 4:54
5. "Vic and Ray" – 4:36
6. "Don't You Get It" – 5:16
7. "A Night in Summer Long Ago" – 4:43
8. "Cannibals" – 3:41
9. "I'm the Fool" – 4:28
10. "Je Suis Désolé" – 5:14
11. "Rüdiger" – 6:03
12. "Nobody's Got the Gun" – 5:25
13. "Done With Bonaparte" – 5:06
14. "Are We in Trouble Now?" – 5:54

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Heart-...2N25/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299210583&sr=1-1

Today's work truck music...

7fba225b9da0802d76a9c010.L.jpg

Riding With The King -- CD

Eric Clapton & B.B. King

2000 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

It sounds like the beginning of a story: "So, Slowhand and the King of the Blues were riding in a car ..." If this is a musical journey, it's the kind that rolls down long, empty stretches of country highway at 80 miles an hour, with the top down and the stereo blasting. Clapton and King may be more city than country, but this collection has the relaxed, laid-back feel that only comes from a pair of veterans doing what they do best. What they do here is cover 12 classic blues songs, many of them staples of King's repertoire, so the title of this album makes sense. Whether it's the rollicking rock & roll of the title track, or the acoustic shuffle of "Key to the Highway," or the sweet notes of "When My Heart Beats Like a Hammer," a real sense of pleasure comes through on this album, the kind of pleasure one gets from jamming late at night with a good friend. --Genevieve Williams

1. "Riding with the King" (John Hiatt) – 4:23
2. "Ten Long Years" (B.B. King, Jules Taub) – 4:40
3. "Key to the Highway" (Big Bill Broonzy, Charles Segar) – 3:39
4. "Marry You" (Doyle Bramhall II, Susannah Melvoin, Craig Ross, Segar) – 4:59
5. "Three O'Clock Blues" (King, Taub) – 8:36
6. "Help the Poor" (Charles Singleton) – 5:06
7. "I Wanna Be" (Bramhall, Sexton) – 4:45
8. "Worried Life Blues" (Big Maceo Merriweather) – 4:25
9. "Days of Old" (Jules Bihari, King) – 3:00
10. "When My Heart Beats Like a Hammer" (King, Taub) – 7:09
11. "Hold On, I'm Comin'" (Isaac Hayes, David Porter) – 6:20
12. "Come Rain or Come Shine" (Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer) – 4:11

LINKY -----> http://www.amazon.com/Riding-King-Eric-Clapton-B/dp/B00004THAY/ref=pd_sim_m_26

61hLTcw5yDL.jpg

Born In The U.S.A. -- CD

Bruce Springsteen

1984 Columbia Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Born in the U.S.A. is an album painted in big, broad strokes. But it was still too subtle for some--namely politicians who tried to tap the title track as a jingoistic anthem when it is in fact a bitter diatribe by a Vietnam War vet whose country forgot him. The rest of the album is a glorious grab bag of radio-ready populist anthems--his best display of pure pop songwriting ever--including "No Surrender," "Dancing in the Dark," "Bobby Jean," and "Glory Days" alongside more circumspect numbers such as "My Hometown" and "I'm On Fire." It's not true that there's no arguing with success, but in this case Springsteen's widespread acclaim was warranted. With Born in the U.S.A., all those predictions from a decade earlier--that Springsteen was the future of rock--had come true. --Daniel Durchholz

All songs written by Bruce Springsteen.

Side one

1. "Born in the U.S.A." – 4:39
2. "Cover Me" – 3:27
3. "Darlington County" – 4:48
4. "Working on the Highway" – 3:11
5. "Downbound Train" – 3:35
6. "I'm on Fire" – 2:37

Side two

1. "No Surrender" – 4:00
2. "Bobby Jean" – 3:46
3. "I'm Goin' Down" – 3:29
4. "Glory Days" – 4:15
5. "Dancing in the Dark" – 4:00
6. "My Hometown" – 4:34

LINKY ---> http://www.amazon.com/Born-U-S-Bruc...r_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299285108&sr=1-11

Back