• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

My last one for the evening....

0cff793509a0163b19b16110.L.jpg

The Very Best of Judy Collins -- CD

Judy Collins

2001 Elektra Records

Indispensible Judy, December 23, 2001
By "pspa" (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Best of (Audio CD)

Judy Collins never really got credit for being one of the great folk singers of the 60s, perhaps because of her transformation later in life into an art/torch singer, perhaps because she largely did not write her own material. But this CD shows her range and versatility as a folk singer, featuring of course her immortal covers of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now and Stephen Sondheim's Send In The Clowns, but also showcasing a variety of beautiful and moving renditions of less familiar songs. Since You Asked and My Father particularly come to mind. If you already own Colors of the Day, her 1972 greatest hits album, the major addition here is Send in the Clowns; if you are looking for just one CD, this one is definitely better because of a more expansive selection.

1. Turn! Turn! Turn!/To Everything There Is a Season
2. So Early, Early in the Spring
3. Suzanne
4. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
5. Both Sides Now
6. Since You've Asked
7. Albatross
8. My Father
9. Someday Soon
10. Who Knows Where the Time Goes
11. Chelsea Morning (single version)
12. Farewell to Tarwathie
13. Song for Judith (Open the Door)
14. Cook with Honey
15. Send in the Clowns
16. Amazing Grace

More and more into these guys, though so far I still like "Together" (their most recent) the best. This one's pretty cool, has a bit of a Gentle Giant vibe to it, on first listen.

51Kj-EoYYtL._SS400_.jpg

Hot_Sauce_Committee_Part_2_Cover.jpg

Track listingAll songs written and composed by Beastie Boys; additional lyrics on "Too Many Rappers" by Nasir Jones, "Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win" by Santi White.

1."Make Some Noise" – 3:30
2."Nonstop Disco Powerpack" – 4:09
3."OK" – 2:49
4."Too Many Rappers" [New Reactionaries Version] (featuring Nas) – 4:51
5."Say It" – 3:25
6."The Bill Harper Collection" – 0:24
7."Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win" (featuring Santigold) – 4:11
8."Long Burn the Fire" – 3:33
9."Funky Donkey" – 1:56
10."The Larry Routine" – 0:30
11."Tadlock's Glasses" – 2:19
12."Lee Majors Come Again" – 3:43
13."Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament" – 2:54
14."Here's a Little Something for Ya" – 3:08
15."Crazy Ass Shit" – 1:56
16."The Lisa Lisa/Full Force Routine" – 0:49

I figured that I would give this one a try for $7.99

6efa71a88da0a6f661f7d110.L.jpg

Midnight Sun -- CD

Herb Alpert

1992 A&M Records

"Midnight Sun" . . . I Love This CD!, November 29, 2005
By Rebecca*rhapsodyinblue* (CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Midnight Sun (Audio CD)

"This album is dedicated to my Forever "Friend" Stan Getz." ~ Herb Alpert ~

In the early seventies, Herb Alpert made his first hit single "This Guy's In Love With You." This is also the very first number one hit song by the talented songwriting team of Burt Bacharach and Hal David. And yes, this is also one of the songs my high school classmates from an exclusive school for girls and I were crazy about back then.

My late father owned a good number of Herb Alpert's LP records from his vast collection, so the trumpet player's music is not new to me when I started my very own collection. A dear friend of mine knowing how much I appreciate exquisite trumpet playing unselfishly gave this delightful CD to me as a just-because-gift and we both loved this collection of beautiful tunes and its arrangements and flawless interpretations. I call it to-die-for music and I can't stop listening to it. It's one of my Desert-Island-CDs. The kind of music you want to hear for all seasons and will never tire listening to it. Many thanks to the very talented Herb Alpert, the brilliant arranger/conductor/pianist Eddie del Barrio, the legendary sax player Stan Getz and the rest of the finest musicians in the jazz scene for making this recording stunningly pleasing to the ears, Monty Budwig (bass), John Pisano, Barry Zweig and Larry Carlton (guitar), Jeff Hamilton and Harvey Mason (drums) and Frank Collett (piano).

This CD, which was released in 1992 opens up with the hauntingly beautiful and my very favorite "Midnight Sun," a tune composed by Lionel Hampton and Sonny Burke in 1947. One of the greatest and my all-time favorite songwriters who has written lyrics to more than a thousand melodies, Johnny Mercer, penned the wonderful lyrics seven years later in 1954. There's a delightful anecdote behind Mr. Mercer's discovery of this song. He was driving along the coast one night and heard this tune being played on the radio and was enchanted by its charming melody. He then called the radio station and asked the DJ about the artist (Lionel Hampton) and the title of the tune. The rest is history.

Two of my spotlighted tracks showcase not only Mr. Alpert's expertise in trumpet but also his soft and mellow vocals, Gershwins' "Someone To Watch Over Me," and Lerner & Lowe's "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face."

"Friends" featuring his "forever friend" Stan Getz is one of the very highlights and he co-wrote this tune with Eddie del Barrio. The tuneful "In The Wee Small Hours" is poignantly affecting as well as Charles Chaplin/John Terner/Geoffrey Parson's classic "Smile." The beauty of "All The Things You Are," "Mona Lisa," "A Taste Of Honey" and "Silent Tears And Roses" will leave any listener mesmerized.

These are the nice stuff that made this recording a special treat not only to all Herb Alpert fans but also to any music lover who appreciates charming instrumental music.

1. Herb Alpert's exquisitely beautiful trumpet playing.
2. A repertoire of impressive standards penned and composed by the most brilliant songwriters of all-time, Gershwins, Mercer, Hampton & Burke, Hammerstein & Kern, Hilliard & Mann, Lerner & Loewe, Livingston & Evans, Scott & Marlow, Chaplin, Terner & Parson, and Alpert & del Barrio.
3. A bevy of the finest back-up musicians, an outstanding arranger/conductor and a pianist, Eddie del Barrio and not to mention his special guest, Stan Getz.

Who could resist listening to this CD? Get it and enjoy it. This would be a great addition to your collection of the finest music ever recorded. You'll have a lifetime of listening enjoyment. It deserves not five but ten stars.

Very highly recommended!

Midnight Sun (Lionel Hampton, Sonny Burke, Johnny Mercer) 6:05
All The Things You Are (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern) 3:53
Someone To Watch Over Me (George & Ira Gershwin) 5:16
In The Wee Small Hours (Bob Hilliard, David Mann) 5:53
Friends (Eddie Del Barrio, Herb Alpert) 4:21
A Taste Of Honey (Bobby Scott, Rick Marlow) 6:52
Mona Lisa (Jay Livingston, Ray Evans) 5:46
I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (Alan Jay Lerner, Frederick Loewe) 5:07
Silent Tears And Roses (Eddie Del Barrio) 3:50
Smile (Charlie Chaplin, John Terner, Geoffrey Parsons) 4:13

EarthWind%26Fire_-_Greatest_Hits.jpg

Track listing No. Title Length
1. "Shining Star" 2:50
2. "That's the Way of the World" 5:43
3. "September" 3:34
4. "Can't Hide Love" 4:07
5. "Got to Get You Into My Life" 4:10
6. "Sing a Song" 3:22
7. "Gratitude" 3:27
8. "Serpentine Fire" 3:50
9. "Fantasy" 4:36
10. "Kalimba Story" 4:00
11. "Mighty Mighty" 3:03
12. "Reasons" 4:58
13. "Saturday Nite" 4:01
14. "Let's Groove" 5:35
15. "Boogie Wonderland" (ft. The Emotions) 4:47
16. "After the Love Has Gone" 4:24
17. "Getaway" 3:55

6228c060ada0ae8702f7d110.L.jpg

Second Wind CD

Herb Alpert

1996 Almo Records

Welcome Back Herb!, September 30, 1998
By W. J. Bernardi (Austin, Tx USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Second Wind (Audio CD)

Herb Alpert's first release in four years - and on his new label - is a joyous one! Teaming up with keyboardist Jeff Lorber, Alpert embarks on a funk-jazz romp that showcases some of his best playing on record. He conjures up images of Miles Davis on many of the songs, yet it isn't a ripoff of Miles at all. Alpert is a smart player. He knows what he can and can't do, and stays within himself. Opening up with the aptly-titled "Second Wind" Herb and Lorber create a great groove which gives Alpert some freedom to roam around on the horn. "Driving Home" is another hot song with Herb playing some really nice jazz on. Lorber does some nice playing on "Sneakin' In" with the Hammond B3 organ, conjuring up images of Jimmy Smith. This is some of Lorber's best playing on record, too. On his own Lorber ends up playing a zillion notes per second, but under Alpert's guidance he plays only when necessary. The two combined to compose most of the songs, including the beautiful "Rendevouz", where Alpert shows his romantic side of playing. And his version of "My Funny Valentine" is also very hip. For those who haven't listened to Herb Alpert in a long time, this is a CD that will impress you.

One other note: The Japanese version of this CD contains a bonus track - a "live" version of "The Lonely Bull", which was Alpert's very first hit with the Tijuana Brass. Very funky, with great solos by Alpert and Lorber!

1 Second Wind
2 Flirtation
3 Wherever You Are
4 Sneakin' In
5 Drivin' Home
6 Can't Stop Thinking About You
7 Flamingo - Herb Albert
8 My Funny Valentine - Herb Albert
9 Side Steppin'
10 Rendezvous
11 Across the Bridge
12 Sugar Cane

51phsEqCZyL._SS400_.jpg

Morning, Noon & Night -- CD

Bob James

2002 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

Bob James--keyboardist, composer, producer, and coleader of the supergroup Fourplay--always manages to find the right mix of up-to-date grooves, jazz sophistication, and lyrical arrangements. This CD, with pianist Keiko Matsui; guitarists Carter Burwell, Chuck Loeb, and Paul Jackson Jr.; vocalist and daughter Hilary; trumpeter Rick Braun; and saxophonist Dave Koz, is no exception. On "Street Smart," DJ Rob Swift adds his turntable-scratching to the eastern-sounding dance mix, while "Just One Thing" sashays to a finger-popping reggae beat. James and company catch a Latin and go-go groove on "Hands On," which is contrasted by the gospel-flavored "Over and Over." The band visits the blues on the cyber-slinky "Baby Cakes," and "Count on It" is a straight-ahead shout-out to Count Basie. This gift for making the contemporary sound classic (and vice-versa) is just what we would expect from the man who gave us the theme song to Taxi. --Eugene Holley Jr.

Tracklist:

1. Street Smart (6:07)
2. Just One Thing (5:02)
3. Morning, Noon & Night (4:16)
4. Hands On (5:52)
5. Over & Over (5:55)
6. Five O'Clock Chateau (4:29)
7. When The Love Is Over (3:21)
8. Nightbeat (5:42)
9. Baby Cakes (5:55)
10. Dai Dai Ya (5:38)
11. Count On It (5:30)

51%2BrTeaGiKL._SS500_.jpg

20 -- CD

Harry Connick, Jr.

1988 Columbia Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Recorded while he was still a 20-year-old piano bar junkie in New Orleans, Harry Connick Jr.'s second album sweeps along with a stripped-down, heartfelt flair. This set of mostly unaccompanied piano and vocal music tracks features a variety of jazz standards, often pointing to Connick's Southern heritage. It's no coincidence that the best of these, "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans," features a slow, sweaty organ solo from Dr. John, guest-appearing here with several other jazz veterans. The presence of such luminaries grounds the young man, producing some of the best work in his entire catalog. Consider the vocal he shares with Carmen McRae on "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone." The song springs to life on McRae's entrance, and Connick delivers a smooth duet around her familiar vocal colorings, tickling rich accompaniment from a dusty piano. The whimsical quality that Connick often brings to his work is here also, most notably in a touching rendition of "If I Only Had a Brain." Imbuing the Tin Man's lament with low, quiet chords and a warm, vocal treatment could seem silly in another artist's hands. Connick reaches just a little lower and finds the melancholic heart at the song's core. It's a fittingly personal take, from a young man looking to fulfill his own promise and discover his own voice as a musician. --Matthew Cooke
Amazon.com

This album seems like it came out a lifetime ago. Connick was destined to become the next James Booker/Thelonious Monk, not a brand-new Frank Sinatra. He arrived in the late 1980s like some kind jazz purist's savior on horseback, only to disappear beneath a stack of overamped blues/funk/rock records and one overrated soundtrack disc. His second disc is easily his best. Less affected, this is more the sound of a talented young man willing to listen to such elders as Dr. John and Carmen McRae, who make welcome cameos here. --Robert Wilonsky

1. "Avalon" V. Rose, A. Jolson, B. DeSylva 3:40
2. "Blue Skies" I. Berlin 3:45
3. "Imagination" J. Burke, J. VanHeusen 4:24
4. "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans" E. DeLange, L. Alter 5:17
5. "Basin Street Blues" S. Williams 2:59
6. "Lazy River" H. Carmichael, S. Arodin 3:34
7. "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone" S. Clare, S. Stept 2:35
8. "Stars Fell on Alabama" M. Parish, F. Perkins 4:49
9. "S'wonderful" G. Gershwin, I. Gershwin 3:00
10. "If I Only Had A Brain" H. Arlen, E.Y. Harburg 3:21
11. "Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me" D. Ellington, B. Russell 4:03

51397RFSGVL._SS500_.jpg

The Most Relaxing Jazz Guitar Music In The Universe -- 2 CD Set

Various Great Artists

2005 Denon Records

More of a intro to jazz, September 23, 2008
By This one goes to 11.... (Chicago,IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Most Relaxing Jazz Guitar Music in Universe (Audio CD)

This cd to me sounds more like an introduction to jazz guitar.However,
it does have some relaxing moments on it.On the other hand,I just started listening to jazz,so I'm really not that familiar with jazz.

Disc: 1

1. Listen to the Dawn -- Kenny Burrell
2. Samba de Orpheus -- Grant Green
3. Last Night When We Were Young -- Sal Salvador & Mundell Lowe
4. Over the Rainbow -- Kenny Burrell
5. All Blues -- Jimmy Ponder
6. In the Meantime -- Kenny Barron featuring Ted Dunbar
7. Road Song -- Pat Martino
8. Homage to Charlie Christian -- Charlie Byrd
9. I Can't Get Started -- Jack McDuff featuring John Hart
10. Sophisticated Lady -- Larry Coryell
11. Dreamsville -- Pat Martino
12. 'Round Midnight -- Larry Coryell
13. You Don't Know What Love Is -- Pat Martino
14. Tenderly -- Kenny Burrell
15. 'Deed I Do -- Red Norvo featuring Tal Farlow
16. One for Tubby -- Herbie Mann featuring Joe Puma
17. You Are Too Beautiful -- Jimmy Ponder
18. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square -- Sal Salvador & Mundell Lowe
19. Keepin' The Faith -- Steve Laury
20. Visit -- Pat Martino
21. Motherless Child -- Grant Green
22. Angel Eyes -- Andy Bey featuring Paul Meyers

Disc: 2

1. 'Round Midnight -- Larry Coryell
2. You Don't Know What Love Is -- Pat Martino
3. Tenderly -- Kenny Burrell
4. 'Deed I Do -- Red Norvo featuring Tal Farlow
5. One for Tubby -- Herbie Mann featuring Joe Puma
6. You Are Too Beautiful -- Jimmy Ponder
7. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square -- Sal Salvador & Mundell Lowe
8. Keepin' The Faith -- Steve Laury
9. Visit -- Pat Martino
10. Motherless Child -- Grant Green
11. Angel Eyes -- Andy Bey featuring Paul Meyers

9d57225b9da03b9ad6c11110.L.jpg

All Time Greatest Hits -- CD

Peggy Lee

1990 Curb Records

In her prime, Peggy Lee may have been the most prominent seductress in popular music, based solely on her interpretation of "Fever." She could also sing some fairly legitimate jazz, as evidenced by her takes of "Alright, Okay, You Win" and "Why Don't You Do Right?" They are included on this well-programmed 11-tune set, which can legitimately be dubbed a greatest-hits package. "I'm a Woman" and "I Enjoy Being a Girl" are also signature tunes for a star who became a sex symbol because of her sultry singing, and not strictly for more image-driven puerile reasons. ~ Michael G. Nastos

peggy-lee-alltime-greatest-hits-1990-inside-cover-139.jpg

Thanks again Dennie!!

Now for some YES

House_of_Yes.jpg

DVD Concert!!! Love this newer one from one of my favorite bands!

No problem Heeman! You're Welcome!

4f5592c008a0bbee7b72c010.L.jpg

Come Fly With Me -- Remastered CD

Frank Sinatra with Billy May and his Orchestra

1958/1998 Capitol Records

Amazon.com

When critics refer to Sinatra's Capitol albums, their highest praise is usually reserved for the dark melancholy of Wee Small Hours or Only the Lonely. But the upbeat "Swinging" records should not be ignored. Probably the finest of these albums is Come Fly with Me. The first of Sinatra's albums with arranger Billy May (whose arrangements have been overshadowed by Nelson Riddle's), Fly is the conceptual equal of Lonely-a carefree, romantic musical travelogue. From the opening invitation--one of Sinatra's most rollicking vocals--to the tender invocations of "Autumn in New York" and "April in Paris," and the serene seductiveness of "Moonlight in Vermont," Sinatra personified the modern traveler--jaunty, cosmopolitan, irrefutably cool. --Steven Mirkin

"Come Fly With Me" (Sammy Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 3:19
"Around the World" (Victor Young, Harold Adamson) – 3:20
"Isle of Capri" (Will Grosz, Jimmy Kennedy) – 2:29
"Moonlight in Vermont" (Karl Suessdorf, John Blackburn) – 3:32
"Autumn in New York" (Vernon Duke) – 4:37
"On the Road to Mandalay" (Oley Speaks, Rudyard Kipling) – 3:28
"Let's Get Away from It All" (Matt Dennis, Tom Adair) – 2:11
"April in Paris" (Duke, E.Y. Harburg) – 2:50
"London By Night" (Carroll Coates) – 3:30
"Aquarela do Brasil" (Ary Barroso, Bob Russell) – 2:55
"Blue Hawaii" (Leo Robin, Ralph Rainger) – 2:44
"It's Nice to go Trav'ling" (Cahn, Van Heusen) – 3:52

Cd reissue bonus tracks not included on the original 1958 release:
"Chicago" (Fred Fisher) – 2:14
"South of the Border" (Jimmy Kennedy, Michael Carr) – 2:50
"I Love Paris" (Cole Porter) – 1:49

d4e0793509a0d24652023110.L.jpg

Music At Sunset -- CD

Andre Previn - Nat King Cole

1999 Momentum Records

1 Black Market Stuff
2 Laguna Leap
3 I'll Never Be The Same
4 Singin' Central
5 Kicks
6 I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good
7 Body And Soul
8 Sunset In Blue
9 All The Things You Are
10 Something To Live For
11 Good Enough To Keep
12 That Ole Blue Magic
13 Blue Skies
14 I Found A New Baby
15 Variations On A Theme
16 Mulholland Drive

John Simmons
Bass

Lee Young
Drums

Eddie Safranski
Bass

Red Callender
Bass

Nat King Cole
Piano, Performer

Eddie Laguna
Composer

Buddy Childers
Trumpet

André Previn
Piano, Composer

Buddy Rich
Drums

Willie Smith
?

Charlie Shavers
Trumpet

Irving Ashby
Guitar

Dave Barbour
Guitar

61I%2Bo4JI17L._SS500_.jpg

Beautiful Isle of Somewhere -- CD

Geoff Muldaur

2003 Tradition & Moderne Records

Editorial Reviews

British folk-rock master Richard Thompson was quoted as saying 'There are only three white blues singers, and Geoff Muldaur is at least two of them'. After his self-imposed exile from the music business in the early '80s, Muldaur returned in the late '90s with two acclaimed studio albums, and during this period, he traveled to Europe for some solo live performances. This tour led him to Bremen, Germany, where he delivered an intense and intimate performance at the 'Moments' club on May 30th, 1999. Local music critics rejoiced and found it to be 'a deeply inspired and moving concert,' and luckily, the show was recorded professionally, and the result is this fine CD which includes versions of classic blues songs and a few Muldaur originals.

Tracks

The Common Cold
My Tears Came Rolling Down
Wild About My Lovin'
Downtown Blues
Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You
Motherless Child
Just A Little While To Stay Here
The Wild Ox Moan
I Can't See Your Face Anymore
Trouble Soon Be Over
Drop Down Mama
Tennessee Blues
Got To Find Blind Melon Part I
Sloppy Drunk
Beautiful Isle Of Somewhere

Zappa Plays Zappa. DVD Concert!!! (cant find a good image!)

Love this one.................HOLY SHIT!

First time playing on the 5.1!! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Back