• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Pink-Album-cover-400x400.jpg

topper said:
Good to you back, Dennie ~~ :handgestures-thumbup:
~~~~~~ :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

this thread hasn't been the same without you . . .

Hey Gary and No-L, it's good to be back! :music-rockout:

...... :banana-dance:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

9dca619009a01ad386087110.L.jpg

Live At Carnegie Hall -- Remasterd 2 CD (Chubby) Box Set

Benny Goodman

19?? Columbia Jazz Masterpieces

Virtuoso Performance November 1, 2009
By W. Easley TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE™ VOICE
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

I am currently surrounded by snow. We had nearly twenty inches. We could dig ourselves out, but why waste the time. The sun will melt it all soon. I am listening to one of the great musical recordings: Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall. What better way to spend this day?

I have preferred classical music most of my life. Benny Goodman was always the exception as I played clarinet and he was the best clarinetist I ever heard. So, my love for Goodman's artistry on the clarinet led me to his kind of music.
When I saw this CD on Amazon and was reminded that numerous musical greats participated I was hooked. The performance includes Harry James, Count Basie, Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton, and Teddy Wilson. I could not ask for much more.

This particular CD is very well done. The producers have re mastered the original recordings and carefully brought out the original sound. I have listened to this CD five times and it keeps getting better. Several of Goodman's solos are magnificent, and Lionel Hampton and Gene Krupa are excellent. This is a masterful production of a virtuoso performance. I highly recommend this CD.

2133d00e3c09bf5d73d9_1.jpg

Featuring: Harry James, Count Basie, Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton, Teddy Wilson, Lester Young, Buck Clayton, Ziggy Elman and many other great jazz artists.

DianeSchuurBBKingHeartToHeart_zps04fa8a09.jpg

Heart To Heart -- CD

Diane Schuur & B.B. King

1994 GRP Digital Master

B.B. King is more than just one of the greatest masters of electric blues guitar; he is also an extraordinarily gifted singer. His talents on his instrument are so great that they tend to eclipse his soulful and sophisticated singing voice, but any who might possibly have doubted his ability will do so no more upon hearing Heart to Heart. On this 1994 release, he joins pop-jazz balladeer Diane Schuur for ten surprising tracks. It is a very moody album, with the overall vibe being mainly of the drown-your-broken-heart-in-gin variety. Some of the string and synth arrangements come off as a little unnecessary, as the music is ably framed by piano, guitar, bass, and drums. However, producer Phil Ramone should be credited for minimizing the schmaltzy moments on Heart to Heart as much as possible, as the music is already treading the fine line between sentiment and drivel. The fine vocal performances by Schuur and King carry much of the music, but drummer Vinnie Colaiuta does the rest. Take, for example, "It Had to Be You." With Doug Katsaros' synth prominently displayed and with the band limping through a Vegas-style funk groove, the drummer's extreme sensitivity and chops enliven the track and not only make it listenable, but one of the high points of the record. Fans of King's blues work may be very surprised by how effectively he slips into the role of balladeer and pop interpreter. To be honest, he does it far more convincingly than Schuur. ~ Daniel Gioffre

Track Listing
1. No One Ever Tells You
2. I Can't Stop Loving You
3. You Don't Know Me
4. It Had to Be You
5. I'm Putting All My Eggs in One Basket
6. Glory of Love, The
7. Try a Little Tenderness
8. Spirit in the Dark
9. Freedom
10. At Last

Personnel: Diane Schuur (vocals, piano); B.B. King (vocals, guitar); Paul Viapiano (guitar); Dan Higgins, Gary Foster (saxophone); Tom Scott (tenor saxophone); George Graham, Warren Luening (trumpet); Richard Todd (French horn); George Roberts (bass trombone); Randy Waldman (piano, synthesizer); Doug Katsaros (synthesizer); Vinnie Colaiuta (drums); Bashiri Johnson (percussion); Diva Gray, Jill Dell'Abate, Karen Kamon, Vaneese Thomas (background vocals).Liner Note Author: Phil Ramone.Recording information: Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA; Power Station, New York, NY.Unknown Contributor Roles: Chuck Berghofer; Waldman; Randy Waldman; Paul Viapiano; Vinnie Colaiuta.Arrangers: Diane Schuur; Doug Katsaros; Patrick Williams; Randy Waldman.

51b2bpg2m%2BL.jpg

New York Reunion -- CD

McCoy Tyner

1991 Chesky Records

Pianist McCoy Tyner and tenor-saxophonist Joe Henderson had not recorded together in over two decades when they finally met up for this Chesky CD. With strong assistance from bassist Ron Carter and drummer Al Foster, Tyner and Henderson make for a perfect team on four originals by group members (including the tenor's classic "Recorda Me") and four superior standards. The advanced hard bop music is as rewarding as one would expect. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Recorda Me (Remember Me)
2. Miss Bea
3. What Is This Thing Called Love?
4. My Romance
5. Ask Me Now
6. Beautiful Love
7. Quick Sketch, A
8. Home

Personnel: McCoy Tyner (piano); Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Ron Carter (bass); Al Foster (drums).Recorded At RCA Studio A, New York, New York on April 3-4, 1991. Includes liner notes by Bret Primack.

51UJwSrVpPL.jpg

Cool Nights -- CD

Gary Burton

1991 GRP Records

Jazz can be art AND entertainment at the same time!
March 20, 2007
By Hiram Gomez Pardo HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWER
Format:Audio CD

This cogent statement belongs to this extraordinary gifted musician - Gary Burton - who, through the years has been able to make enjoy the world as one of the most brilliant vibraphonists ever born since from my standpoint Lionel Hampton. As a matter of fact his flamboyant musicianship has always under the service of the music by itself. He has rejected the idea of settling back into comfortable patterns. He confess : "I began to pay more attention to the power of melody..." And that's a common feature among the greatest jazz musicians. His grandness and at the same time humbleness are more than evident.

So his musical improvement has enhanced continuously, because of the fact he has observed and studied carefully, the trajectory of Luis Armstrong, Srah Vaughan or Carmen Mc Rae. He played with Stan Getz between 1964 and 1966, that's another remarkable point to his successful career.

This album is constitutes by itself, a profound shift, with the invaluable support of his friends. Pat Metheny, Bob James, Peter Erskine. I knew about him for the first time with an outstanding work in collaboration with Chick Corea in Munich, where both of them simply shone. His untiring dedication, innovative search and pleasant tone make of this album a wise choice in case you accept the challenge. And believe me, this will be the first step in your collection. I swear it. There are many interesting tracks along this Cd, but my favorite is Gorgeous.

An album to listen over and over!

Track listing
1. Going Home
2. Cool Nights
3. With Mallets a Forethought
4. Take Another Look
5. I Never Left
6. Gorgeous
7. Huba Huba
8. Hopscotch
9. Artifacts
10. Last to Know, The
11. Farmer's Trust - (bonus track)

Personnel: Gary Burton (vibraphone); Wolfgang Muthspiel (guitar); Bob Berg (tenor saxophone); Bob James (keyboards); Peter Erskine (drums, percussion); Will Lee (percussion).

3e191b2a433fe3863e02a477b38_prev.jpg

Pres and Teddy -- Remastered CD

The Lester Young - Teddy Wilson Quartet

1956/1986 Verve Records

Floating over bar lines using a light, airy tone, Lester Young redefined (and refined) the tenor saxophone. A nonconformist, Young's sound soon overshadowed Coleman Hawkins' thicker, more abrasive style. Indeed, Young's approach influenced most of the new wave of saxophonists to come out of the 1950s. On PRES AND TEDDY, we hear Young (nicknamed Pres) teamed up with the great pianist Teddy Wilson, who himself, is one of three definitive swing era pianists (the other two being Earl Hines and Art Tatum).PRES AND TEDDY is a small group outing that also highlights the talents of bassist Gene Ramey and drummer Jo Jones. This is straight-ahead, no bull jazz that doesn't cross too many stylistic boundaries. Recorded in 1956, tinges of cool jazz color the playing and feel of the record. Still, the band's swing roots shine through, making this release more closely aligned with earlier genres of jazz. Highlights include the medium bounce "Louise" and the bluesy "Pres Returns."

Track Listing
1. All of Me
2. Prisoner of Love
3. Louise
4. Love Me or Leave Me
5. Taking a Chance on Love
6. Our Love Is Here to Stay
7. Pres Returns - (bonus track)

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Teddy Wilson (piano); Gene Ramey (bass); Jo Jones (drums).Recorded in New York, New York on January 13, 1956. Includes original release liner notes by Bill Simon.Digitally remastered by Dennis Drake.

df07341ae3e3e634f8551442499db619.jpg

Parallel Realities -- CD

Jack Dejohnette

1998 MCA Records

This 1990 release is one of DeJohnette's finest. A trio recording, PARALLEL REALITIES showcases the talents of Herbie Hancock and Pat Metheny, as well as the highly acclaimed drummer. All three of these players should require no formal introduction to jazz aficionados. However, first time listeners will be impressed by the playing ability of these three jazz icons. Tracks such as "Jack In" and "Dancing" display, strikingly, the improvisational skill of these three performers. On the latter, Hancock and Metheny solo, employing both a lyrical sensitivity, and a superlative ability to navigate their way around complex chord progressions; use of fast flourishes and melodic whispers dot their elegant performances.
Surprisingly, the lack of bass does not affect the feel of the music. DeJohnette plays keyboard bass to add bottom, as it were, to the sound. He also layers additional keyboards adding texture and timbral variety to the music. Along different lines, DeJohnette's drumming is less active than usual. However, he never comes across bland or restrained, simply naturally relaxed and introspective. Sometimes understated, sometimes forthright, this album is as intriguing as it is virtuosic.

Track listing

Jack In 6:23
Exotic Isles 6:21
Dancing 7:40
Nine Over Reggae 7:27
John McKee 8:12
Indigo Dreamscapes 6:46
Parallel Realities 11:10

Musicians

Drums, Producer - Jack DeJohnette
Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Synthesizer [Synclavier], Producer - Pat Metheny
Keyboards [Additional] - Herbie Hancock (tracks: 7)
Keyboards [Keyboard Bass] - Pat Metheny (tracks: 5, 7)
Piano - Herbie Hancock

412BvpKCOLL._SS500_.jpg

Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet -- 20 Bit K2 Remastered CD

Miles Davis- John Coltrane - Red Garland - Paul Chambers - Philly Joe Jones

1956/2001 Prestige/Fantasy Records

Red Garland's evocation of Big Ben in the opening chords of "If I Were A Bell" is a witty reminder that you're listening to the premier jazz combo of the 1950s, as Miles Davis once again plumbs the ravine of popular culture to come up with another engaging jazz classic.

In this case, it's a dandy from Frank Loesser's "Guys And Dolls," enlivened by Paul Chambers' perfect counter-melodies and Philly Joe Jones' supple brush work. Soon enough, Jones switches up with light stick work, as Chambers fires up his walk and Garland eggs things along with his light, sure, rhythmic strumming. A Harmon-muted Miles responds with delicate, bashful melodies, Coltrane digs in for a jitterbugging reveille and Garland mixes taut, pixieish single lines with velvety big-band chords; Jones defines the laid-back attitude with crisp side-stick accents on four.

Laid-back is the order of the day on RELAXIN'. "You're My Everything" highlights the interaction between Miles and Chambers, but it's Coltrane's expressive clarity that's such a revelation. A year before he'd probably have laid out on such a fragile ditty. On "It Could Happen To You," the band gently dances in cut time, while "I Could Write A Book" is taken at a light gallop (with superb Garland).

However, a pair from Rollins and Gillespie are equestrian events. With his boyish timbre and floating phrases, Miles updates his classic arrangement of "Oleo" from BAGS' GROOVE, as the drums and piano drop out to allow him to body surf with Chambers. Gillespie's anthem "Woody'n You" offers one briskly syncopated fanfare after another.

Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on May 11 & October 26, 1956. Originally released on Prestige (7129). Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.

"If I Were A Bell" (Frank Loesser) – 8:15
"You're My Everything" (Harry Warren) – 5:18
"I Could Write a Book" (Richard Rodgers) – 5:09
"Oleo" (Sonny Rollins) – 6:18
"It Could Happen to You" (Jimmy van Heusen) – 6:37
"Woody 'n' You" (Dizzy Gillespie) – 5:02

new_folk_songs_-sacd-_import-perfect_houseplants-16631198-frnt.jpg

New Folk Songs -- SACD

Perfect Houseplants

2001 Linn Records (Made In Germany)

Perfect Houseplants is renowned for its cross-over projects with the award winning Orlando Consort, violin genius Andrew Manze and, on their recording of radical re-workings of English folk music, virtuoso recorder player Pamela Thorby.

The Millennium saw Perfect Houseplants performing in Europe and many International festivals as well as recording their fifth album entitled 'New Folk Songs' (Linn AKD 165). This is considered by many to be their most accomplished recording so far and started as a commission to write new music based on folk music from East Anglia. The album features the virtuoso recorder playing of Pamela Thorby on four radical re-workings of traditional songs.

Track Listing
1. Pageant
2. Moving On
3. Holding Back
4. Lighthouse, The
5. Barford Angel, The
6. Bubbles
7. New Song Old Song
8. Dunwich & The Sea
9. Earl's Slog
10. Nancy
11. Mason
12. & Dixon

Mark Lockheart - tenor and soprano saxophones
Huw Warren - piano, keyboards and accordion
Dudley Philips - electric and acoustic bass
Martin France - drums and electric percussion
Pamela Thorby - recorders on tracks 4, 7, 9 & 10

0c59c060ada0e3d83eed0210.L.jpg

In Between Dreams -- CD

Jack Johnson

2005 Brushfire Records

Amazon.com

For a man who gets his biggest kicks surfing the waves and strumming his guitar on a lonely beach in native Hawaii, singer-songwriter Jack Johnson has carved out quite a remarkable career on the mainland. His 2003 album, On and On, debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and subsequently went platinum on the back of hit single "The Horizon Has Been Defeated." The follow-up, meanwhile, seems destined to shine even brighter. The drifting chords and soft voice are still in place, only now Johnson's instinct for melody has sharpened alongside his ability to self-edit. These small concessions make third album, In Between Dreams, his most conspicuous, particularly on tracks like the three-minute relationship drama, "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing," and "Breakdown," a song he originally recorded for Handsome Boy Modeling School's White People album remade here to reveal its full stripped-down loveliness. Imagine all the coconuts it will buy. -- Aidin Vaziri

1. "Better Together" 3:27
2. "Never Know" 3:32
3. "Banana Pancakes" 3:12
4. "Good People" 3:28
5. "No Other Way" 3:09
6. "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" 3:03
7. "Staple It Together" Jack Johnson, Merlo Podlewski 3:16
8. "Situations" 1:17
9. "Crying Shame" Jack Johnson, Adam Topol 3:06
10. "If I Could" 2:25
11. "Breakdown" Jack Johnson, Dan Nakamura & Paul Huston 3:32
12. "Belle" 1:43
13. "Do You Remember" 2:24
14. "Constellations" 3:21

Happy Sunday and Mother's Day everyone.... :text-bravo:

2212c060ada079778143e110.L.jpg

Take 6 -- CD

Take 6

1988 Reprise Records

The other reviews said it all, April 25, 2000
By Reggie Gilliam (Gary, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Take 6 (Audio CD)

Basically, Take 6 is heaven sent! There are other accapella groups out there, but, no one can quite do it like these guys. The vocal range, harmonies, arrangements, style, etc. I can listen to songs and usually pick out the parts (harmony). But with Take 6, I have to rewind over and over to hear what they are doing. I have a pretty good musical ear, but I still have not learned each part to these songs and I've had this CD since 1989! But I really enjoy listening to this CD for both the message and the arrangements. If you haven't heard this CD, you must check it out! I love the entire CD, but my favorite is "Get Away Jordan".

"Gold Mine" - 3:52
"Spread Love" - 3:29
"If We Ever" - 4:59
"A Quiet Place" - 2:43
"Mary" - 3:31
"David and Goliath" - 4:25
"Get Away, Jordan" - 4:23
"He Never Sleeps" - 3:10
"Milky-White Way" - 4:47
"Let the Words" - 00:55

JohnnyCashMyMothersHymnBook_zps8040d91d.jpg

My Mother's Hymn Book -- CD

Johnny Cash

2004 Lost Highway Records

Previously released as the fourth disc in the UNEARTHED box set, MY MOTHER'S HYMN BOOK, like the lauded AMERICAN RECORDINGS album, features only two instruments--Johnny Cash's acoustic guitar and his unmistakable baritone voice. Recorded at Cash's cabin in rural Tennessee, this spare, unadorned set consists of classic country gospel standards handpicked by Cash from the hymnal of the title. The contents run from the heavenly ode "Where We'll Never Grow Old" to the sauntering "I Am a Pilgrim," and the redemptive "I'll Fly Away." Despite the Man in Black's failing health at the time of this recording, he sounds amazingly vital and notably moved on each and every song. Cash writes in the liner notes, "On that album, I nailed it. That was me....I'm so glad that I got that done." The overwhelming sense of completion and closure is especially fitting, since HYMN BOOK is the final set of songs recorded by Cash with the specific intention of an album. As a testament to a remarkable man and his unshakable faith, nothing could be more fitting.

Track Listing
1. Where We'll Never Grow Old
2. I Shall Not Be Moved
3. I Am a Pilgrim
4. Do Lord
5. When the Roll Is Called up Yonder
6. If We Never Meet Again This Side of Heaven
7. I'll Fly Away
8. Where the Soul of Man Never Dies
9. Let the Lower Lights Be Burning
10. When He Reached Down
11. In the Sweet by and By
12. I'm Bound For the Promised Land
13. In the Garden
14. Softly and Tenderly
15. Just as I Am

Personnel: Johnny Cash (Vocals & Guitar).

An all-time favorite... :bow-blue:

512WWEMVFZL._SS500_.jpg

Devotion -- DVD-A

Aaron Neville

2000 Silverline Productions

The Grammy Award Winning voice of Aaron Neville is one of the most recognizable in popular music. He has performed for presidents and royalty, as well as the disadvantaged and prison inmates. His talent has transcended musical genres and trends. Aaron Neville is an American musical icon. Devotion, Aaron Neville's latest recording, is a collection of material that is very personal to the artist. A spiritual rather than a religious album, Devotion brings together popular songs like "Morning Has Broken", "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "Let It Be" with gospel greats "Mary Don't You Weep" and Banks Of the River Jordan" that have always been favorites of Aaron.

With Devotion, listeners will be able to hear that unmistakable Aaron Neville voice as if they were in the studio with him while he made the record. This 24 bit/96khz, six channel surround disc brings amazing clarity to every note of the recordings. Additionally, the disc includes a very special video section that includes interviews with Aaron and many of the people who have been instrumental in his life. There is also footage of Aaron performing songs from this album live at Angola Penitentiary.

1. Morning Has Broken
2. Mary Don't You Weep
3. By Heart, By Soul (Guest vocals by Avalon)
4. Bridge Over Troubled Water
5. Singing You a Prayer (Duet with Ivan Neville)
6. Jesus Loves Me
7. Let It Be
8. What Would Jesus Do?
9. Banks Of the River Jordan
10. Were You There?
11. Any Day Now
12. Jesus Is A Friend Of Mine
13. I SHall Be Released

5102T240chL.jpg

The Best of Phoebe Snow -- CD

Phoebe Snow

1990 Columbia Records

Words can't describe..., May 25, 1999
By Kevin L. Humphreys (Madison, MS USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best of Phoebe Snow (Audio CD)

If you know nothing about Phoebe's work (that would be a shame, by the way), then you should get this album. Every song is fine, and they show off all of her many musical gifts, ranging from the tender ("Two-Fisted Love", "All Over") to the barnburners ("Shaky Ground"), to ones that start off sweet and build to an incredible level of intensity ("Teach Me Tonight").

Phoebe also gave the single greatest live performance I've ever seen on the Letterman show. Some years ago (I can't remember how many) she blew the doors off everything with an awesome rendition of "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie-Woogie Flu" (regrettably not included here, although she later rerecorded it for the album "I Can't Complain.") This woman has pipes to die for and a range you just can't believe.

So what am I saying? BUY THIS ALBUM!!

Track listing

1. Two Fisted Love
2. All Over
3. Poetry Man
4. Teach Me Tonight
5. Don't Let Me Down
6. Shakey Ground
7. Love Makes a Woman
8. Never Letting Go
9. Every Night
10. Harpo's Blues