• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Adrenaline-Mob-Coverta.jpg

Monster musicians, muddy mix, all covers ("Coverta"). Slightly disappointing.

niacin-krush-300x300.jpg

I hadn't heard from these guys in years. Organ trio (John Novello, Billy Sheehan on bass, Dennis Chambers on drums), hard fusion. Liking this a lot more than the Adrenaline disk above; recommended if you're a Hammond B-3 fan. :eusa-clap:

Botch said:
niacin-krush-300x300.jpg

I hadn't heard from these guys in years. Organ trio (John Novello, Billy Sheehan on bass, Dennis Chambers on drums), hard fusion. Liking this a lot more than the Adrenaline disk above; recommended if you're a Hammond B-3 fan. :eusa-clap:
My wife absolutely hates anything with "organ" music in it. Nothing will clear her out of the room / house faster!

Jeff

Can you please, please please bring it to Batcave 5.0 for me? :)

JeffMackwood said:
Botch said:
niacin-krush-300x300.jpg

My wife absolutely hates anything with "organ" music in it. Nothing will clear her out of the room / house faster!

Jeff

Can you please, please please bring it to Batcave 5.0 for me? :)

That's a big please for me also, would love to hear it in the Batcave..... :music-rockout:

As the picture would seem to indicate...
Yes, I am playing this quite LOUDLY.

(And in stereo, obviously!)

cover-0d5587916e8a1144132aa5c6d26a7760b92cb89c-s6-c10.jpg
cover-0d5587916e8a1144132aa5c6d26a7760b92cb89c-s6-c10.jpg

artworks-000027376524-zq94nj-crop.jpg

:music-listening:

(I did not realize Simon Phillips was a kickass jazz drummer, was only familiar with his work with Toto)

Botch said:

(I did not realize Simon Phillips was a kickass jazz drummer, was only familiar with his work with Toto)
I've had a hold on this from the Ottawa Public Library for a while now. Just checked where I'm at on the list. Might see a copy within a month or so from now.

I "discovered" Hiromi through others' postings on the Annex - and am very glad I did!

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
I "discovered" Hiromi through others' postings on the Annex - and am very glad I did!

Jeff

You're Welcome! :text-welcomewave: I've posted quite a bit about her, I'm a huge fan. Very, very precise player, like Chick, but can be ferocious as hell! :eek:

Botch said:

Simon also played with Pete Townshend and The Who......

Awesome, Awesome drummer!!

Let's see, I think I left off with this one.... :eusa-clap:

1283869321_gary-burton-friends-depa.jpg

Departure -- CD

Gary Burton & Friends

1997 Concord Jazz

For his first album for the Concord jazz imprint, vibraphonist Gary Burton goes back: back to some of the most enduring compositions in the jazz lexicon, constructing the program on Departure completely from jazz standards, except for "Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs" (the theme from the television show Frasier). Along with guitarist John Scofield, drummer Peter Erskine, pianist Fred Hersch, and bassist John Patitucci, Burton also returns here to the quicksilver, porcelain sound of the George Shearing quintet, Burton's first job after graduating from the Berklee College of Music. For the uninitiated, Departure is a worthwhile introduction to Burton's style on vibes, with his strong sense of swing swaddled in a sound that's most often elegant yet sometimes surprisingly funky. Scofield really shines here, too. Departure is also a great way to discover less-known compositions by some of the best-known composers and performers in the history of jazz, including Duke Ellington ("Depk," from his "Far East Suite"), Chick Corea ("Japanese Waltz"), and Horace Silver ("Ecaroh," which is "Horace" spelled backwards), as well as Mel Tormé ("Born to Be Blue"), and "If I Were a Bell," a staple that rang throughout in the 1950s repertoire of Miles Davis and whose title chimes harmoniously with the sonorities of Burton's vibes. ~ Chris Slawecki

Track Listing
1. September Song
2. Poinciana
3. Depk
4. Tenderly
5. If I Were a Bell
6. For All We Know
7. Japanese Waltz
8. Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs - (Theme From "Frasier")
9. Born to Be Blue
10. Ecaroh

------------
Personnel: Gary Burton (vibraphone); John Scofield (guitar); Fred Hersch (piano); Peter Erskine (drums).Arrangers: Gary Burton ; Tommy Kamp.

Good to you back, Dennie ~~ :handgestures-thumbup:
~~~~~~ :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

this thread hasn't been the same without you . . .

Back