• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

ArtieShawBluesInTheNight_zps5cb93f57.jpg

Blues In The Night -- CD

Artie Shaw

2000 Past Perfect/The International Music Company (Import)

Personnel: Artie Shaw (clarinet); Oran Thaddeus Page, Roy Eldridge (vocals, trumpet); Mike Bryan, Barney Kessel (guitar); Charlie DiMaggio, Lou Prisby, Tom Mace, Les Robinson (alto saxophone); Jon Walton, Georgie Auld, Ralph Rosenlund, Mickey Folus (tenor saxophone); Art Baker (baritone saxophone); Steve Lipkins, George Schwartz, Jimmy Pupa, Lee Castle, Max Kaminsky, Ray Linn, Bernie Glow, Stan Fishelson, Paul Cohen (trumpet); Gus Ischia, Jack Jenney, Morey Samuel, Bob Swift, Ray Conniff, Harry Rodgers, Ollie Wilson (trombone); Dodo Marmarosa, Johnny Guarnieri (piano); Dave Tough, Lou Fromm (drums).

1 King for a Day 3:23
2 Prelude in C Major 2:53
3 Chantez Les Bas (Sing 'Em Low) 3:07
4 What Is There to Say? 3:10
5 Confessin' (That I Love You) 3:20
6 Solid Sam 3:16
7 Take Your Shoes off Baby (And Start Runnin' Through My Mind) 3:25
8 Love Me a Little Little 3:04
9 Blues in the Night 3:14
10 Beyond the Blue Horizon 2:44
11 Deuces Wild 2:10
12 Someone's Rocking My Dreamboat 3:18
13 Rockin' Chair 3:08
14 Just Kiddin' Around 3:21
15 St. James Infirmary 2:58
16 Two in One Blues 3:20

Zing said:
Dennie said:
adb6024128a01058957bf010.L.jpg

Come On Up -- CD
Your thoughts on this one, Dennie?

I became a fan in 2010 and have gotten more and more into him since.

Sorry Zing, I don't have thoughts on it. It was background music as I did paper work in my office. :shifty:

I'll try to listen better next time.
emotion-10.gif

Dennie

5a949833e7a046b0e2103110.L.jpg

Mingus -- Remastered CD

Joni Mitchell

1979/1990 Elektra Records

So good its criminal, July 15, 2001
By Damien Bjorn Ruud (Boulder, CO United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mingus (Audio CD)

Female artists (Laura Nyro, Joni, Rickie Lee) are always getting the short end of the stick. When this album was released it was generally deemed a failure and it got no airplay and fell off the charts. Listening to it 22 years later I can't believe how underrated it has become. If you thought Joni was just a flower-powered folk singer then you were wrong. This is some of the most spacey, haunting, and eccentric music out there. Oh, the instruments may seem familiar but the way they are used is just plain out there. Jaco Pastorius can make his bass sound like a trumpet, sax, piano, Fender Rhodes, synth and more. Joni's guitar playing had never been or never was again this powerful or primal. Highlights: everything. God Must Be a Boogie Man a duet between Joni's guitar and Jaco's bass combines her haunting vocals backed by a chorus of what sounds like escapees from a mental institution. The Wolf That Lives In Lindsey: with Joni's near perfect phrasing and a devil-may-care guitar strum. The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines: an uptempo jazz-tune which, in a just world, would have been a great single. Oh and one more thing, Joni's voice would never again be this perfect. She had trained her voice and it has never sounded better. It didn't have that high screechy, nails-on-the-chalkboard sound of her early days, nor the Tom Waits-gravel quality it has today. This is an essential part of Joni's oeuvre. Get it now.

All lyrics by Joni Mitchell; music by Mitchell, except where indicated

"Happy Birthday 1975" (Rap) – 0:57
"God Must Be a Boogie Man" – 4:35
"Funeral" (Rap) – 1:07
"A Chair in the Sky" (Charles Mingus) – 6:42
"The Wolf That Lives in Lindsey" – 6:35
"I's a Muggin'" (Rap) – 0:07
"Sweet Sucker Dance" – 8:04 (Mingus)
"Coin in the Pocket" (Rap) – 0:11
"The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines" (Mingus) – 3:21
"Lucky" (Rap) – 0:04
"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" (Mingus) – 5:37

Personnel: Joni Mitchell (guitar, vocals); Wayne Shorter (soprano saxophone); Herbie Hancock (electric piano); Jaco Pastorius (bass, horn arrangement); Peter Erskine (drums); Don Alias (congas); Emil Richards (percussion).Engineers: Henry Lewy, Steve Katz, Jerry Solomon.Recorded at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California and Electric Lady Studios, New York, New York.All tracks have been digitally remastered using HDCD technology.

Dennie said:

Mingus -- Remastered CD

Joni Mitchell

(REAL NAME)

Female artists (Laura Nyro, Joni, Rickie Lee) are always getting the short end of the stick. When this album was released it was generally deemed a failure and it got no airplay and fell off the charts. Listening to it 22 years later I can't believe how underrated it has become. If you thought Joni was just a flower-powered folk singer then you were wrong. This is some of the most spacey, haunting, and eccentric music out there. Oh, the instruments may seem familiar but the way they are used is just plain out there. Jaco Pastorius can make his bass sound like a trumpet, sax, piano, Fender Rhodes, synth and more. Joni's guitar playing had never been or never was again this powerful or primal. Highlights: everything. God Must Be a Boogie Man a duet between Joni's guitar and Jaco's bass combines her haunting vocals backed by a chorus of what sounds like escapees from a mental institution. The Wolf That Lives In Lindsey: with Joni's near perfect phrasing and a devil-may-care guitar strum. The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines: an uptempo jazz-tune which, in a just world, would have been a great single. Oh and one more thing, Joni's voice would never again be this perfect. She had trained her voice and it has never sounded better. It didn't have that high screechy, nails-on-the-chalkboard sound of her early days, nor the Tom Waits-gravel quality it has today. This is an essential part of Joni's oeuvre. Get it now.

Personnel: Joni Mitchell (guitar, vocals); Wayne Shorter (soprano saxophone); Herbie Hancock (electric piano); Jaco Pastorius (bass, horn arrangement); Peter Erskine (drums); Don Alias (congas); Emil Richards (percussion).Engineers: Henry Lewy, Steve Katz, Jerry Solomon.Recorded at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California and Electric Lady Studios, New York, New York.All tracks have been digitally remastered using HDCD technology.

That is a good one my friend!

album-one-night-of-sin.jpg

One Night Of Sin -- CD

Joe Cocker

1989 Capitol Records

Full of Cocker rockers and ballads.
, November 1, 2000
By Anthony Accordino (Massapequa Park, New York United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: One Night of Sin (Audio CD)

Joe Cocker's "One Night Of Sin" was not only one of Joe's more popular modern day albums but showed the english soul shouter in fine vintage form with his voice as strong as ever. The top ten smash "When The Night Comes" is just the beginning of an album loaded with top notch songs. Producer Charlie Midnight really gets Joe rocking on tunes like"Just To Keep From Drowning" and "Bad Bad Sign"[not to many modern day singers can match this vocal performance]. Long time musical friend Chris Stainton is back on keyboards providing that hard driving piano sound that was so prominent during their Maddogs and Englishman heyday. Joe also belts out great covers of "Fever" and "Iv'e Got To Use My Imagination". The ballads on this cd are sung in typical gut wrenching Joe cocker style. A truly solid musical effort not to be missed.

"When the Night Comes" - 5:20 (Bryan Adams, Jim Vallance, Diane Warren)
"I Will Live for You" - 4:11 (Stephen Allen Davis)
"I've Got to Use My Imagination" - 4:24 (Gerry Goffin, Barry Goldberg)
"Letting Go" - 4:11 (Charlie Midnight, Jimmy Scott)
"Just to Keep from Drowning" - 4:39 (Marshall Chapman, Stephen Allen Davis)
"Unforgiven" - 3:28 (Tim Hardin, Ken Lauber)
"Another Mind Gone" - 4:44 (Cocker, Levine, Chris Stainton)
"Fever" - 3:37 (Eddie Cooley, Otis Blackwell, John Davenport)
"You Know We're Gonna Hurt" - 3:59 (Rick Boston, Nick Gilder)
"Bad Bad Sign" - 4:09 (Dan Hartman, Charlie Midnight)
"I'm Your Man" - 3:52 (Leonard Cohen)
"One Night of Sin" - 3:14 (Dave Bartholomew, Pearl King, Anita Steinman)

heeman said:
Dennie said:

Mingus -- Remastered CD

Joni Mitchell

(REAL NAME)

That is a good one my friend!

Hey Mr. I've got a Killer Dedicated Home Theater, good to see you my friend!

You Da Man, Keith!
yes.gif

Joni's "Mingus" is a great album. I got burned out on it, after I first got it, but it seems that has passed. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Dennie said:
Sorry Zing, I don't have thoughts on it. It was background music as I did paper work in my office.

Good Lord, don't be sorry. Frankly, there are better albums by Brian that are more worthy, such as...

1284532970_41x6e1aofrl._sl500_aa500_.jpg

and

0060253702422_500X500.jpg

Zing said:
Dennie said:
Sorry Zing, I don't have thoughts on it. It was background music as I did paper work in my office.

Good Lord, don't be sorry. Frankly, there are better albums by Brian that are more worthy, such as...

1284532970_41x6e1aofrl._sl500_aa500_.jpg

and

0060253702422_500X500.jpg

Thanks Zing, I'll get my "used music dealer looking for those! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

bfe681b0c8a0d0b89992b110.L.jpg

Rockferry -- CD

Duffy

2008 Mercury Records

Amazon.co.uk

Rockferry, the Welsh singer's lovingly constructed debut album, has already succeeded beyond expectations, and although Duffy may not quite be the ingénue portrayed by a clever press campaign (she nearly won a local television talent show a few years back while a single credited to Aimee Duffy is still available on iTunes) she is surely the most appealing of the current flood of young soul sirens. The astonishing title track, co-written by Bernard Butler, sounded like a lost transmission that had taken decades to get through as soon as it hit radio last year. But the gently rolling soul ballad "Stepping Stone", that strapping, inescapable monster hit "Mercy", the ice cool "Serious" (the one time she really does channel the spirit of Dusty Springfield) and the wistful, elegant "Warwick Avenue" are similarly effective. Suggestions by some that Rockferry is little more than sixties pastiche are churlish. Butler's previous work with David McAlmont (featured here as a backing singer) showed his skill at writing and arranging the dramatic, while her other collaborators such as Steve Booker and the team of Jimmy Hogarth and Eg White are hardly lightweights. But despite some wonderful orchestral settings, it's Duffy's terrific voice that makes this so satisfying, even overpowering Butler's exquisitely underplayed guitar work on "Rockferry" itself. Growling the blues on "Syrup & Honey" or belting it out over his lovingly arranged wall of sound on "Distant Dreamer", she sets the tone throughout, several of her songs dealing with escape, both physical and romantic. The sound of someone singing herself to stardom, Rockferry is at times genuinely amazing. --Steve Jelbert

1. "Rockferry" Duffy, Bernard Butler 4:14
2. "Warwick Avenue" Duffy, Jimmy Hogarth, Eg White 3:46
3. "Serious" Duffy, Butler 4:10
4. "Stepping Stone" Duffy, Steve Booker 3:28
5. "Syrup & Honey" Duffy, Butler 3:18
6. "Hanging on Too Long" Duffy, Hogarth, White 3:56
7. "Mercy" Duffy, Booker 3:41
8. "Delayed Devotion" Duffy, Hogarth, White 2:57
9. "I'm Scared" Duffy, Hogarth 3:08
10. "Distant Dreamer" Duffy, Butler 5:05

Dennie said:
Thanks Zing, I'll get my "used music dealer looking for those! :handgestures-thumbup:
"Everybody's got a [used music] dealer on speed dial" :happy-smileygiantred:

nickelback-rockstar-official-music-video.jpg

Nickelback_M_Rockstar_05.jpg

Nickelback_F_Rockstar_02.jpg

0.jpg

Dennie said:

Rockferry -- CD

Duffy

2008 Mercury Records

Amazon.co.uk

Rockferry, the Welsh singer's lovingly constructed debut album, has already succeeded beyond expectations, and although Duffy may not quite be the ingénue portrayed by a clever press campaign (she nearly won a local television talent show a few years back while a single credited to Aimee Duffy is still available on iTunes) she is surely the most appealing of the current flood of young soul sirens. The astonishing title track, co-written by Bernard Butler, sounded like a lost transmission that had taken decades to get through as soon as it hit radio last year. But the gently rolling soul ballad "Stepping Stone", that strapping, inescapable monster hit "Mercy", the ice cool "Serious" (the one time she really does channel the spirit of Dusty Springfield) and the wistful, elegant "Warwick Avenue" are similarly effective. Suggestions by some that Rockferry is little more than sixties pastiche are churlish. Butler's previous work with David McAlmont (featured here as a backing singer) showed his skill at writing and arranging the dramatic, while her other collaborators such as Steve Booker and the team of Jimmy Hogarth and Eg White are hardly lightweights. But despite some wonderful orchestral settings, it's Duffy's terrific voice that makes this so satisfying, even overpowering Butler's exquisitely underplayed guitar work on "Rockferry" itself. Growling the blues on "Syrup & Honey" or belting it out over his lovingly arranged wall of sound on "Distant Dreamer", she sets the tone throughout, several of her songs dealing with escape, both physical and romantic. The sound of someone singing herself to stardom, Rockferry is at times genuinely amazing. --Steve Jelbert

Dennie,

Thanks for that post. Honestly had never heard of her before (or if I did, I'd forgotten). A little research tells me she's very much in line with a lot of the stuff I've been collecting lately.

Both her CDs (that one and the follow-up) are available through my library and I should be getting them when I get back from Bat's GTG.

I don't get the chance to scan anything but a fraction of your posts in this thread, but this reminds me why I should try a little harder!

Regards.

Jeff

Today's work truck music...

27c862e89da0a4e367ed2110.L.jpg

Missing...Presumed Having A Good Time -- CD

The Notting Hillbillies

1990 Warner Bros. Records

The Notting Hillbillies was a country music project formed by Mark Knopfler, who was then lead guitarist and singer of the Dire Straits, with Brendan Croker, Steve Phillips, and Knopfler's bandmate Guy Fletcher. They made just one album, Missing...Presumed Having a Good Time that was released in 1990, before returning to concentrate on their main bands. The Notting Hillbillies have been reunited several times for charity gigs. In May 1997 the Hillbillies went on an 11 show tour in UK.

In 1993, two shows were performed, both without Guy Fletcher.

The Town & Country Club in Leeds on July 3 only featured the Knopfler-Croker-Philips trio. The set list included the only known live performances of two Dire Straits songs : "Ticket To Heaven" and "How Long". The Notting Hillbillies had previously performed "When It Comes To You" in 1990, before it was actually recorded and issued by Dire Straits on their final album On Every Street, in 1991.

The City Hall in Newcastle on July 6 featured for the one and only time Alan Clark on keyboard. Ed Bicknell and Marcus Cliffe were also present. This was the last time that Clark played with Knopfler within a full band.

1. "Railroad Worksong" – 5:29 (Traditional)
2. "Bewildered" – 2:37 (Whitcup, Powell)
3. "Your Own Sweet Way" – 4:32 (Mark Knopfler)
4. "Run Me Down" – 2:25 (Traditional)
5. "One Way Gal" – 3:10 (Traditional)
6. "Blues stay Away from Me" – 3:50 (A. Delmore, R. Delmore, W. Raney, H. Glover)
7. "Will You Miss Me" – 3:52 (Steve Phillips)
8. "Please Baby" – 3:50 (Traditional)
9. "Weapon of Prayer" – 3:10 (I. & C. Louvin)
10. "That's Where I Belong" – 2:51 (Brendan Croker)
11. "Feel Like Going Home" – 4:52 (Charlie Rich)

JeffMackwood said:
Dennie said:

Rockferry -- CD

Duffy

2008 Mercury Records

Amazon.co.uk

Dennie,

Thanks for that post. Honestly had never heard of her before (or if I did, I'd forgotten). A little research tells me she's very much in line with a lot of the stuff I've been collecting lately.

Both her CDs (that one and the follow-up) are available through my library and I should be getting them when I get back from Bat's GTG.

I don't get the chance to scan anything but a fraction of your posts in this thread, but this reminds me why I should try a little harder!

Regards.

Jeff
You're Welcome. I hope you enjoy it Jeff. Her second album "Endlessly" is not as good.
no.gif

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Today's work truck music...

11ce228348a0eeef17b0e010.L.jpg

ChangesBowie -- CD

David Bowie

1990 RYKODISC

Amazon.com

The 1976 best-of Changesonebowie (slyly named for a Charles Mingus disc issued the previous year) was the Thin White Duke's last major commercial hit of the decade. Collecting famed singles and album cuts from an amazingly fertile period, it clicked both with those who got into Bowie through his mainstream popularity and with the crowd who loved him for his challenge to it. This expanded edition goes forward from "Golden Years," the original closer, with a hopscotch through later radio favorites like "Let's Dance." Flaws? A remixed "Fame '90" that already sounded dated when it was new, and the disc's omission of almost all of Bowie's collaborations with Brian Eno. The upside? A generally smart update of a key compilation. --Rickey Wright

Side one

"Space Oddity" (from Space Oddity, 1969) – 5:14
"John, I’m Only Dancing" (from "John, I’m Only Dancing" single, 1972) – 2:43 (Sax Version - 2:41)
"Changes" (from Hunky Dory, 1971) – 3:33
"Ziggy Stardust" (from Ziggy Stardust, 1972) – 3:13
"Suffragette City" (from Ziggy Stardust, 1972) – 3:25
"The Jean Genie" (from Aladdin Sane, 1973) – 4:03

Side two

"Diamond Dogs" (from Diamond Dogs, 1974) – 5:56
"Rebel Rebel" (from Diamond Dogs, 1974) – 4:30
"Young Americans" (from Young Americans, 1975) – 5:10
"Fame" (Bowie, Carlos Alomar, John Lennon) (from the single RCA 2579, 1975) – 3:30
"Golden Years" (from Station to Station, 1976) – 3:59

cfed793509a014e871ff2110.L.jpg

Here's To You, Charlie Brown: 50 Great Years! -- CD

David Benoit with Many Special Guests

2000 GRP Records

An album of Peanuts-related music performed by David Benoit is a no-brainer, not only because of the retirement and death of Charles Schultz, who drew the comic strip, but also because Benoit has in recent years taken over writing the music for the ongoing series of shows, which were scored originally by Vince Guaraldi. Benoit emphasizes his predecessor by devoting seven of the album's ten tracks to Guaraldi compositions. Unfortunately, he begins with one of those exercises in necrophilia that is usually the province of the less-talented progeny of great singers, overdubbing a few of his own unnecessary noodlings on the original recording of "Linus and Lucy." Fortunately, things improve after that, as the trio of Benoit, bassist Christian McBride, and drummer Peter Erskine is joined by a series of high-profile guest musicians: guitarist Marc Antoine on "Pebble Beach" and "Red Baron"; trumpeter Chris Botti on Benoit's "Linus Tells Charlie"; saxophonist Michael Brecker on "Freda"; and guitarist Russell Malone on "Blue Charlie Brown." Despite the spring release date, the inclusion of the near-standard "Christmas Time Is Here" is inevitable, and here it's sung by Take 6. In an inspired move, the album closes with Al Jarreau's winsome take on "Happiness," a song from the stage musical You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. All in all, this is a pleasant, if minor, addition to Benoit's catalog. ~ William Ruhlmann

Track listing

1. Linus and Lucy
2. Charlie Brown Theme
3. Pebble Beach
4. Linus Tells Charlie
5. Frieda
6. Christmas Time Is Here
7. Getting Ready
8. Blue Charlie Brown
9. Red Baron
10. Happiness

519buwCj1fL.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Cat Stevens

1975/1990 A&M Records

Amazon.com

Before Cat Stevens changed his name to Yusef Islam, he had a slew of hits built around his soft, yet sometimes coarse, vocals. Stevens utilized a variety of instrumentation and rhythms in his predominantly acoustic arrangements, and songs like "Peace Train," and "Another Saturday Night" had a multi-cultural feel to them. Greatest Hits provides a decent overview of his more popular work, including the poignant "Oh Very Young" and "Father & Son." Unfortunately, the delightful yet brief "Tea for the Tillerman" is not present. The lovely "Morning Has Broken" has elements of Stevens's growing concern with religion, philosophy, and the relationship between the cerebral and the spiritual. In the early 1980s, Stevens, now Yusef, "retired" from the music profession because of his new beliefs. --Steve Gdula

2999c060ada0e4ea0203c110.L.jpg

7de1228348a094b839fa2110.L.jpg

Escondido -- CD

J.J. Cale & Eric Clapton

2006 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

J.J. Cale penned two of Eric Clapton's career-defining solo hits, "Cocaine" and "After Midnight." And since Clapton has often fashioned his persona in a WWJD manner (what would J.J. do?), this collaboration is long overdue. But despite the rather slick production and long list of guest backing musicians (including four bassists, four drummers, five other guitarists, and three percussionists), The Road to Escondido is still dominated more by Cale than Clapton. The relatively reticent Okie wrote 11 of the 14 tracks, and it's his low-key soufflé of blues, jazz, and country that shapes and directs the disc's tone, with Clapton along for the ride. The opening "Danger" sets the dusky mood as the duo rides a typical Cale swamp groove that gives way to a tightly wound Slowhand solo. They trade lead vocals on a lovely version of the after-hours jazz blues classic "Sporting Life Blues," and the ubiquitous John Mayer makes an impressive appearance on the subtle blues of "Hard to Thrill."Clapton hasn't sounded this relaxed or involved in his own material for years. The traditionally laid-back, if not quite snoozy, Cale responds with a comparatively energized performance, likely due to the high-profile company. When the two harmonize on the mid-tempo foot tapper "Anyway the Wind Blows," the result is so natural and spontaneous it's a shame these two didn't join forces earlier. On paper, it appears that Cale has the most to gain from partnering with an established superstar, but the fact is this collaboration yields Eric Clapton's most engaging and contagious roots-rock release in a long time. --Hal Horowitz

All songs by J. J. Cale except where noted.

"Danger" – 5:34
"Heads in Georgia" – 4:12
"Missing Person" – 4:26
"When This War Is Over" – 3:49
"Sporting Life Blues" (Brownie McGhee) – 3:31
"Dead End Road" – 3:30
"It's Easy" – 4:19
"Hard to Thrill" (Eric Clapton/John Mayer) – 5:11
"Anyway the Wind Blows" – 3:56
"Three Little Girls" (Eric Clapton) – 2:44
"Don't Cry Sister" – 3:10
"Last Will and Testament" – 3:57
"Who Am I Telling You" – 4:08
"Ride the River" – 4:35

J.J. Cale: Guitars, keyboards, vocals.
Eric Clapton: Guitars, vocals.

Derek Trucks: Guitar.
Jim Karstein: Drums, percussion.
James Cruce: Drums, Percussion.
Pino Palladino: Bass guitar
Steve Jordan: Drums.
Abe Laboriel, Jr: Drums.
Gary Gilmore: Bass guitar.
Willie Weeks: Bass guitar.
John Mayer: Guitar.
Albert Lee: Guitar.
Billy Preston: Hammond Organ, Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer.
Walt Richmond: Piano.
Doyle Bramhall II: Guitar.
Nathan East: Bass guitar.
Christine Lakeland: Guitar, vocals.
Simon Climie: Percussion.
David Teegarden: Percussion.
Taj Mahal: Harmonica.
Dennis Caplinger: Fiddle.
Bruce Fowler: Horns.
Marty Grebb: Horns.
Steve Madaio: Horns.
Jerry Peterson: Horns.

Before she died of leukemia in 1986 at the young age of 44, singer and songwriter Kate Wolf had criss-crossed North America for fifteen years performing some of the most remarkable songs of the era. With roots in the golden hills, valleys and seashores of Northern California, her songs are still vibrant and healing...simple yet profound. On this new recording, fourteen artists and admirers pay tribute to Kate and her music.

08a1c060ada0bcd2c0a59110.L.jpg

Treasures Left Behind: Remembering Kate Wolf -- CD

Various Artists

1998 Red House Records

In memoriam Kate, June 13, 2001
By brad lonard (Sydney, Australia)

This review is from: Treasures Left Behind: Remembering Kate Wolf (Audio CD)

A lovingly produced tribute to the late folk singer/songwriter. Some of the artists -- John Gorka, Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams -- never met her but are fervent admirers. Others -- U Utah Phillips, Terry Garthwaite, Peter Rowan, Greg Brown -- worked with her. Each seems moved to invest something of their soul in the songs, and the result is extremely moving. Best tracks? Well, they're all great, but I'd give the nod to Dave Alvin's world-weary take on These Times We're Living In, and the age-meets-experience of Phillips on See Here She Said and Rosalie Sorrel's In China Or A Woman's Heart; and the instrumental version of Back Roads by Nina Gerber, Kate's own guitarist, who also acted as the producer and motivating force behind the project. If you don't know anything about Kate Wolf, you'll be a fan by the time the record's over; if you're already a fan, you'll be intrigued and moved by the different approach each artist brings to these songs. Get it; you'll never regret it.

* Give Yourself To Love Kathy Mattea
* These Times We’re Living In Dave Alvin
* Friend Of Mine Nanci Griffith
* Sweet Love John Gorka
* Here In California Lucinda Williams
* Like A River Peter Rowan
* Carolina Pines Cris Williamson & Tret Fure
* See Here, She Said Utah Phillips
* In China Or A Woman’s Heart Rosalie Sorrels
* Tequila And Me Greg Brown & Ferron
* Back Roads Nina Gerber (instrumental)
* Cornflower Blue Eric Bogle
* Love Still Remains Emmylou Harris
* Thinking About You Terry Garthwaite

Emmylou Harris' rendition of Kate Wolf's Love Still Remains, on the Kate Wolf tribute album Treasures Left Behind: Remembering Kate Wolf, received a 1999 Grammy Nomination for Female Country Vocal Performance.

Back