• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51xinmUGIFL._SS500_.jpg

Simple Dreams -- OMR 24k Gold CD

Linda Ronstadt

1977/2009 Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs

Amazon.com essential recording

On its face, Simple Dreams seems a crazy quilt of styles, from the friendly country-rock remake of Buddy Holly's "It's So Easy," the brooding covers of Roy Orbison's "Blue Bayou," and Dolly Parton's "I Never Will Marry" to dissolute tales of rock & roll madness like the Rolling Stones' "Tumbling Dice" and Warren Zevon's "Carmelita" and "Poor Poor Pitiful Me." Yet Ronstadt is able to keep it all together, proving her interpretive depth and stylistic breadth all at once. Simple Dreams is perhaps Ronstadt's most adventurous rock-oriented album, and, with the exception of the drum sounds, which indelibly identify this as a product of the '70s, it still works. --Daniel Durchholz

Side 1

"It's So Easy (To Fall In Love)" (Buddy Holly, Norman Petty) - 2:27
"Carmelita" (Warren Zevon) - 3:07
"Simple Man, Simple Dream" (J.D. Souther) - 3:12
"Sorrow Lives Here" (Eric Kaz) - 2:57
"I Never Will Marry" (Traditional) - 3:12

Side 2

"Blue Bayou" (Roy Orbison, Joe Melson) - 3:57
"Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (Warren Zevon) - 3:42
"Maybe I'm Right" (Waddy Wachtel) - 3:05
"Tumbling Dice" (Keith Richards, Mick Jagger) - 3:05
"Old Paint" (Traditional) - 3:05

51osTRNFPVL._SS400_.jpg

The Rare Delight of You -- SACD

John Pizzarelli with The George Shearing Quintet

2002 Telarc Jazz

Amazon.com

The CD photo of this intergenerational collaboration between guitarist-vocalist John Pizzarelli and pianist George Shearing resembles the cover of the 1961 LP Nat King Cole Plays, George Shearing Plays. Like that legendary recording, this project offers clean and lean jazz. The pianist is backed by a combo featuring vibraphonist Ted Piltzecker and drummer Dennis Mackrel. With Pizzarelli's laid-back vocals, the group delivers some beautiful new songs and interesting interpretations of pop standards made famous by Cole, Nancy Wilson, and Peggy Lee. Their version of "If Dreams Come" has an ingenious contrapuntal guitar-piano breakdown. On "The Lady's with You," Shearing slyly drops in a few bars of Duke Ellington's "I'm Beginning to See the Light." And "Something to Remember Me By" has melodic tinges from Claude Thornhill's "Snowflake." "Lost April" captures Pizzarelli and Shearing in a heartfelt duet. Shearing's no-frills piano lines and Pizzarelli's bouncy guitar work are inspired and in-the-pocket. --Eugene Holley Jr.

1. If Dreams Come True
2. The Lady's In Love With You
3. Everything Happens To Me
4. Lulu's Back In Town
5. Something To Remeber You By
6. Lemon Twist
7. Lost Apirl
8. Problem
9. The Rare Delight Of You
10. Shine On Your Shoes
11. Indian Summer
12. Be Careful It's My Heart
13. September In The Rain
14. I Predicit (2001)
15. Lucky To Be Me

Most tribute compilations are a dissapointment, but this one is realy good.

Sting does a wonderful "The Wind Cries Mary"

51yKZ0LMcKL.jpg

Track Listings

1. James Al Hendrix Gratitude
2. Musiq Soulchild Are You Experienced?
3. Santana Spanish Castle Magic
4. Prince Purple House
5. Sting The Wind Cries Mary
6. Earth, Wind & Fire Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
7. Bootsy Collins (featuring George Clinton & the P-Funk All-Stars) Power Of Soul
8. Eric Clapton Burning Of The Midnight Lamp
9. Lenny Kravitz Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)
10. James Al Hendrix 30 Years
11. Devoted Spirits (featuring George Duke) Who Knows
12. Robert Randolph & The Family Band Purple Haze
13. Velvert Turner Going Home
14. Chaka Khan & Kenny Olson Little Wing
15. Sounds Of Blackness Castles Made Of Sand
16. Eric Gales May This Be Love
17. Cee-Lo Green Foxey Lady
18. John Lee Hooker Red House
19. Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble Little Wing/3rd Stone From The Sun

Bob R said:
Most tribute compilations are a dissapointment, but this one is realy good.

Sting does a wonderful "The Wind Cries Mary"

51yKZ0LMcKL.jpg

Track Listings

1. James Al Hendrix Gratitude
2. Musiq Soulchild Are You Experienced?
3. Santana Spanish Castle Magic
4. Prince Purple House
5. Sting The Wind Cries Mary
6. Earth, Wind & Fire Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
7. Bootsy Collins (featuring George Clinton & the P-Funk All-Stars) Power Of Soul
8. Eric Clapton Burning Of The Midnight Lamp
9. Lenny Kravitz Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)
10. James Al Hendrix 30 Years
11. Devoted Spirits (featuring George Duke) Who Knows
12. Robert Randolph & The Family Band Purple Haze
13. Velvert Turner Going Home
14. Chaka Khan & Kenny Olson Little Wing
15. Sounds Of Blackness Castles Made Of Sand
16. Eric Gales May This Be Love
17. Cee-Lo Green Foxey Lady
18. John Lee Hooker Red House
19. Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble Little Wing/3rd Stone From The Sun

Thanks for the Heads Up Bob! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

61KW0D%2BnJsL.jpg

Electric Funk -- Remastered CD

Jimmy McGriff

1969/1997 Blue Note/Rare Groove Series

The title of Electric Funk may lead you to believe that it's a set of unrepentant, rampaging hard funk, but that's not quite the case. The record is laid-back but undeniably funky, with Jimmy McGriff and electric pianist Horace Ott leading an unnamed group through a set of soul workouts. It's not jazz, it's jazzy soul, and it's among the funkiest of any soul-jazz records from the late '60s, filled with stuttering drum breaks, lite fuzz guitars, elastic bass, smoldering organ, and punchy, slightly incongruous horn charts. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track Listing
1. Back on the Track
2. Chris Cross
3. Miss Poopie
4. The Bird Wave
5. Pt. 1 Spear for Moondog
6. Pt. 2 Spear for Moondog
7. Tight Times
8. Spinning Wheel
9. Funky Junk

Personnel: Jimmy McGriff (organ); Stanley Turrentine (tenor saxophone); Blue Mitchell (trumpet); Horace Ott (piano, electric piano) Others Unknown.Recording information: 09/1969.Arranger: Horace Ott.

51mleaot4hL._SS400_.jpg

Blues for the Soul -- SACD

Mighty Sam McClain

2000 Telarc Blues

Amazon.com

All those young up-and-comers who think they know how to sing R&B and soul should really get themselves a dose of Mighty Sam McClain. The man waited years to record any albums (though there were a few singles in the 1960s), but it's been worth the wait. Blues for the Soul is McClain's first for Telarc Records, and it's a near-perfect debut. The slower, lazier songs are ideal for the heat of summer, but one could just as easily imagine listening to McClain in a dark, smoky nightclub in November. His voice is strong, but so smooth that at first you don't notice, and his backing band knows exactly how to support him; they're tight and on the money, but never overwhelming. McClain's perspective is quirky, yet mature, as exemplified by "Jesus Got the Blues" and "Sweet Lady" (in the latter, he sings the praises of smart women--recognizing that beauty's a transient thing, but brains last a lifetime). While there's no doubt he's passionate about his music, McClain's solid record is all the more appealing for its unassuming presentation. --Genevieve Williams

Track listing

1. All We Need Is Love
2. Dark Side of the Street
3. Love One Another
4. Going Back to New Orleans
5. No One Can Take Your Place
6. Jesus Got the Blues
7. Sweet Lady
8. Battlefield of Love
9. Mighty's Prayer
10. Sing Me Some Blues
11. Can't Stand It
12. Not I

fb3b225b9da08e3358d8f010.L.jpg

DJANGO -- RVG Edition Remastered CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1956/2006 Prestige/Concord Records

Refined, supremely accomplished, and possessed of a unique sound (courtesy of Milt Jackson's shimmering vibes), the Modern Jazz Quartet set a new standard for the jazz group as chamber ensemble. DJANGO puts these qualities on display, with variety and technical prowess to spare. The title track, a tribute to Gypsy guitar-king Django Reinhardt, written by pianist John Lewis, sets the stage with its bop excursions and change-ups from cool swing to minor-key moodiness (which also appropriately mirrors Reinhardt's music and life). The group's take on "Two Bass Hit" lets bassist Percy Heath take center stage, with support and accents from the others."La Ronde Suite" is a near-10-minute four-part suit of shifting colors, highlighting each member on their respective instruments (drummer Kenny Clarke takes a rare solo spot here). Two more Lewis tunes, "The Queen's Fancy" (a jazzy march) and the ballad "Milano," bracket two notable readings of standards--"Autumn in New York" (Jackson's vibes create a wistful effect) and "But Not For Me." For an early demonstration of the MJQ's classic sound (it was recorded in 1953), DJANGO remains one of the key albums in their discography. (The Extended Resolution reissue provides superior audiophile quality.)

Track Listing
1. Django
2. One Bass Hit
3. La Ronde Suite: A: Piano/B: Bass/C: Vibes/D: Drums: Piano / Bass / Vibes / Drums
4. The Queen's Fancy
5. Delaunay's Dilemma
6. Autumn in New York
7. But Not for Me
8. Milano

Modern Jazz Quartet: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); John Lewis (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Kenny Clarke (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on June 25, 1953, December 23, 1954 and January 9, 1955. Originally released on Prestige (7057). Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.Modern Jazz Quartet: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); John Lewis (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Kenny Clarke (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on June 25, 1953, December 23, 1954 and January 9, 1955. Originally released on Prestige (7057). Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.

The Records

I was listening to my "Big Star" station on iTunes Radio when it came up with The Records' "Starry Eyes" from '79.

Seemed catchy enough. Hints of the Byrds' jangly guitars. So I bought the CD on Amazon after failing to locate a copy at the only nearby record store---go figure. Anyway, the rest of the songs here are very much Power Pop. Perhaps even moreso than Big Star, the Raspberries, Badfinger, or Teenage Fanclub. Most of the tracks on this compilation hit slightly harder than many of those other bands songs. (Heck, most of the tracks here probably hit a little harder than even their modest hit "Starry Eyes".) Sure, there's still the presence of guitars. And you get plenty of singing along with some harmonizing. But the thing that really stands out is the drumming. I have no idea if the drums are anything technically fancy here, but they are constant and very noticeable. Every track. And I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think aggressive drums are supposed to be one of the signature sounds of the Power Pop genre.

Not sure I love The Records. Probably not. Big Star these guys ain't. Not gentle enough or quirky enough. But I like 'em well enough after having listened to this CD for a couple of days now.

51XugOpw-VL._SL500_AA880_.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUepa0yfyw[/youtube]

Kazaam said:
...after failing to locate a copy at the only nearby record store---go figure.

:text-lol:

Kazaam, if you like power pop, are you familiar with Fountains of Wayne?

FOW-Welcome_Interstate_Managers.jpg

A power pop masterpiece, IMNSHO (I just ordered The Records now too, forgot about that song!)

A video masterpiece too:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4[/youtube]

:music-rockout: :drool: :eusa-clap: :handgestures-thumbup:

Sort of familiar with Fountains of Wayne. I know that one of the band members was part of Tinted Windows (a supergroup of sorts featuring the former Cheap Trick drummer, former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist, and singer Taylor Hanson of, well, Hanson.)

But I've not heard anything from Fountains of Wayne besides "Stacy's Mom". Could be a good one to check the used bins on, I'd think. And then if I liked the rest of their stuff explore the rest of their catalog.

51ijfp30BfL.jpg

Red Garland's Piano -- Remastered 24bit CD

Red Garland - Paul Chambers - Art Taylor

1957/2006 Prestige/Concord Records

Red Garland's third session as a leader finds the distinctive pianist investigating eight standards (including "Please Send Me Someone to Love," "Stompin' at the Savoy," "If I Were a Bell," and "Almost Like Being in Love") with his distinctive chord voicings, melodic but creative ideas, and solid sense of swing. Joined by bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Art Taylor, Garland plays up to his usual consistent level, making this an easily recommended disc for straight-ahead fans. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Please Send Me Someone to Love
2. Stompin' at the Savoy
3. The Very Thought of You
4. Almost Like Being in Love
5. If I Were a Bell
6. I Know Why (And So Do You)
7. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
8. But Not for Me

Personnel: Red Garland (piano); Paul Chambers (upright bass); Art Taylor (drums).

Dream-Theater-2013-album.jpg

I haven't picked up the last couple of Dream Theater's disks, but I noticed this, their new one, was available in 5.1 DVD-A! :banana-rock:
What a fun ride! Playing is as ferocious as ever. I like the surround mix; many surround mixes (especially pop/rock) have individual instruments hard-panned to individual speakers, ie the congas come out of the left rear, vocals right-front, etc. Here the various instruments are coming at you from different directions, but they're blended among two or three speakers so its more of a cohesive sound. Petrucci's guitar solo on "Surrender to Reason" flies all over the place, fun stuff!!
What I don't like is the digital effects are just a bit too heavy-handed (delays, reverbs, chorusing, etc) which makes individual instruments a bit hard to pick out, and even have trouble making out what LaBrie is singing at points (never a problem before). Still, it's a lush sound, and a good system show-off disk.
It also has a GREAT feature: it starts playback immediately upon the drawer closing. I don't have to turn on my TV to set the "Audio" and then cursor over to hit Play. On a whim I ejected the disk, set my system to "Play CD" with my Harmony One (so the TV stayed off) and the Oppo recognized it was a DVD-A, and began playback. :eusa-clap: Most if not all my SACDs do this, but I don't think I have another DVD-A that does; I always have to turn on the TV to set things up and start play. Hope this is an increasing trend (even though DVD-A is not...).

Recommended!

Botch said:
It also has a GREAT feature: it starts playback immediately upon the drawer closing. I don't have to turn on my TV to set the "Audio" and then cursor over to hit Play. On a whim I ejected the disk, set my system to "Play CD" with my Harmony One (so the TV stayed off) and the Oppo recognized it was a DVD-A, and began playback. :eusa-clap: Most if not all my SACDs do this, but I don't think I have another DVD-A that does; I always have to turn on the TV to set things up and start play.

I think I've got only one of those in my collection, too. But I'm not entirely sure if I'm remembering correctly. I wanna say that the DVD-A of the Flaming Lips "Yoshimi" starts playing without needing to resort to turning on the TV select tracks and crap. But it's been years. So I might be thinking of a different DVD-A.

btw, I didn't know Dream Theater had a 5.1 DVD-A. I don't think I like that band, but at least I've heard of them. Do you have any idea who did the surround mix? Since it's a DVD-A I'm wondering if maybe this isn't a pet project of Steven Wilson???

71ECew0GDAL.jpg

Big Wide Grin -- CD

Keb' Mo'

2001 OKeh/Sony Wonder

With baby boomers and many members of Generation X having grown up with rock & roll as their music of choice, it stands to reason the idea of a "children's album" needs to be redefined. Contemporary blues guitarist Keb' Mo' keeps this concept at the forefront of BIG WIDE GRIN, a collection of songs suitable for sharing with the whole family as opposed to being tailored solely for the little ones.Blessed with a rich singing voice, fleet fingers, and a laid-back delivery, Mo' delivers clever arrangements of R&B favorites by The O'Jays (a twangy "Love Train"), Sly & The Family Stone (a casually swinging "Family Affair"), and Bill Withers (a loping "Grandma's Hands"). In keeping with the familial theme, the Compton native addresses topics including adoption (the heartfelt Brenda Russell duet "I Am Your Mother Too"), love for a step-parent ("Color Him Father"), and thankfulness for a blessed life (a Bonnie Raitt-like "Infinite Eyes"). Goosing along this occasionally weighty collection are a few instances of Keb' Mo' loosening up, particularly on a jumping version of Slim Gaillard's jive classic "The Flat Foot Floogie" and a playful duet with son Kevin Jr. on Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi."

Track Listing
1. Everybody Be Yoself
2. Love Train
3. Don't Say No
4. Infinite Eyes
5. Grandma's Hands
6. Color Him Father
7. Family Affair
8. Flat Fleet Floogie, The
9. I Am Your Mother Too
10. Big Yellow Taxi
11. Isn't She Lovely
12. America the Beautiful

Personnel includes: Keb' Mo' (vocals, guitar, banjo); Brenda Russell, Barbara Morrison (vocals); Leo Nocentelli (guitar); Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar, mandola); Clayton Gibb (banjo); Gerald Albright (saxophone); Jeff Young (piano, organ); "Ready" Freddie Washington (bass); Sergio Gonzalez, Laval Belle (drums); Luis Conte (percussion); The Family, Alex Brown, Bobette Harrison-Jamison, Randy Phillips (background vocals).Recorded at Groove Masters Studio and Sony Studios, Santa Monica, California; A Cut Above Studio, Ventura, California; House Of Blues Studio, Encino, California.BIG WIDE GRIN was nominated for the 2002 Grammy Award for Best Musical Album For Children.

Back