• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music....

b9a0419328a0df6b6aabe110.L.jpg

Blue Moon Swamp -- CD

John Fogerty

1997 Warner Bros. Records

A wonderful, mature roots rock record December 29, 2004
By Docendo Discimus
Format:Audio CD

If you already own "Blue Moon Swamp", don't bother buying it again because of the bonus tracks (or whatever they are). The melodramatic 1960s teenage-rocker "Endless Sleep" and the instrumental "Just Pickin'" are good enough, sure, but they don't really add anything to an album which was just about perfect to begin with.

"Blue Moon Swamp", John Fogerty's first album in almost 11 years, is a warm, exquisitely produced and richly evocative roots rock record, blending R&B, rockabilly, country, blues, folk, and swampy rock n' roll on twelve vibrant and masterfully executed songs.
Deservedly winning a Grammy for best rock album, "Blue Moon Swamp" is tight but laid-back, not as hard-rocking as Creedence and not as pop-oriented as "Centerfield", but better and more mature than anything else that John Fogerty has created as a solo artist.
This remains one of my favorite records, one which continues to grow on me.

All tracks written and composed by John Fogerty, except where noted.

"Southern Streamline" – 3:56
"Hot Rod Heart" – 3:26
"Blueboy" – 4:04
"A Hundred and Ten in the Shade" – 4:19
"Rattlesnake Highway" – 4:17
"Bring It Down to Jelly Roll" – 2:37
"Walking in a Hurricane" – 3:41
"Swamp River Days" – 3:36
"Rambunctious Boy" – 3:51
"Joy of My Life" – 3:52
"Blue Moon Nights" – 2:33
"Bad Bad Boy" – 4:26

1256378392_500.jpg

Ivan Neville, of the NO Neville clan, plays keys. Mo phunky! :music-rockout:

Zing said:
Botch said:
The clarity is so good you can hear, at high volume, the light hiss of the 32-ips Ampex tape flying past the heads...
Your system must be better than mine because I cannot hear any tape hiss. :(

Listen to track 8 (last track) of the RLJ Pirates album. Hiss is pretty clear (at least in the MoFi). You need something with a lot of near silence to hear it, not all songs have that, indeed most pop/rock songs don't. Pop musicians don't understand the value of quiet. :teasing-tease:

Note also that this particular track is about as far away from what I understand as your preferred style of music as it's possible to get without venturing into classical. :laughing:

:laughing-lettersrofl: Yeah, that's me...

FYI I also remember Soundhound in some e-mail using that word ("whitebread") to describe Diana Krall when comparing to Shirley Horn. :eusa-whistle: (I sort of agree but I admit I haven't listened to a lot of Krall because I was unimpressed with the little I heard.)

I know that's completely OT, but hell, alcohol (margarita) makes me more frank than my usually utterly PC self. :laughing:

Great Stuff Heeman! :bow-blue:

51e%2BgiCdf7L.jpg

The New Crystal Silence -- 2 CD Set

Chick Corea & Gary Burton

2008 Concord Records

One of the most beautiful jazz discs of the 1970s remains CRYSTAL SILENCE, a 1972 collection of inspired, melodious duets by vibraphonist Gary Burton and pianist Chick Corea. In 2007, the two masters revisited their earlier triumph with the two-disc THE NEW CRYSTAL SILENCE. Disc one finds the duo in an orchestral setting, recorded live in Australia with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. While performing with a full orchestra might seem to defeat the purpose of a duet, it works out remarkably well. Since the `60s, both Burton and Corea have been crossover/fusion experts, and the subtle, well-thought-out arrangements accent the duo's playing, never competing with or overwhelming it. Disc two is just the two fellows swinging some Corea gems and a few standards. The pianist's bebop-flavored jabs dart happily through and around Burton's sparkling, crystalline lyricism. This is lovely stuff throughout--witty and heartfelt, creative yet accessible.

Track Listing

Disc 1: Duet with Sydney Symphony
1. Duende
2. Love Castle
3. Brasilia
4. Crystal Silence
5. La Fiesta

DISC 2: DUET: Chick and Gary
1. Bud Powell
2. Waltz For Debby
3. Alegria
4. No Mystery
5. Senor Mouse
6. Sweet and Lovely
7. I Love You Porgy
8. La Fiesta

6Not+Too+Late.jpg

Had listened to a few tracks of this at Zing's, liked it, so I bought it. Finished listening to the whole album carefully this afternoon. I like it, especially the first few tracks. Can't say I'm ultra-thrilled by it, but I like her style, and I particularly appreciate the style of the recording/mixing on this album, very clean and sparse, almost dry, but it sounds like she's right there in front of me, singing. Nice instrumental arrangements.

I've got her first album on order, hasn't shown up yet.

41S7ajLvv6L._SS400_.jpg

In His hands -- CD

Gene Harris

1997 Concord Records

The Devil's Music and the Lord's, September 28, 2000
By Tim Smith "Tim Smith" (Bonney Lake, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In His Hands (Audio CD)

Is this a jazz or gospel CD? The answer is: yes. Nothing challenging here, just some praiseworthy good times. If you have been fortunate enough to attend church meetings with keyboardists like the late (and greatly-missed) Gene Harris or Jack McDuff, then you know what much of the shouting is about at those big revival meetings. I'm a big Gene Harris fan and he was in fine form here, swinging particularly hard on "Battle Hymn of the Republic", "This Little Light of Mine" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." It's obvious that Gene loved and was comfortable with this music and these songs. The two biggest surprises for me (both pleasant) were "Amazing Grace" and "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross". When I first heard "Amazing Grace", I was sure it was Ray Charles. Vocalist Curtis Stigers does a beautifully soulful job on this timeless classic while Gene plays some very bluesy piano. "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross" is a duet between McDuff and Harris that brought back memories of my childhood. I was taken back to the days when I would be home from school and my mother would listen to Gospel radio all morning while she did her chores. How I would have liked to have heard Gene play "The Old Rugged Cross"!

When I first listened to this CD, I was slightly disappointed and nearly gave it only three stars. After a few more listens I realized, however, that the disappointment was due to my preconceived notions of what I thought the CD would be like. Once I accepted it for what Gene wanted it to be and not what I thought it would be, I grew to like it. Now, I listen to it quite often.

If you are under the impression that Gospel music is boring or that jazz can't be done reverently, give this a listen and see if maybe your opinion doesn't change.

Track listing

1. Lean On Me
2. Battle Hymn Of The Republic
3. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
4. Everyhting Must Change
5. Amazing Grace
6. Lord I've Tried
7. Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross
8. This Little Light Of Mine
9. Operator
10. His Eye Is On The Sparrow
11. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
12. Granpa's Hands

51%2Bvm9Yv0yL._SS500_.jpg

How Long Has This Been Going On? -- Remastered CD

Between... Sarah Vaughan - Oscar Peterson - Joe Pass - Louie Bellson - Ray Brown

1978/1987 Pablo/Fantasy Records

You Can't Get Better Than This, September 29, 2007
By Juliet A. Wright "(Artist) Beloved/Director H... (Pownal, VT, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: How Long Has This Been Going On? (Audio CD)

This fantastic cd combines some of the best players and music in all of jazz and delivers some really high quality music. Sarah Vaughan, Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson, Louie Bellson and Ray Brown congregate to create some of the most memorable performances ever recorded. This cd has wonderful variety, as Vaughan varies the instrumentation of the set list, playing with just Pass on one cut, then the whole band, then just with Peterson and so on. Many of the standards have been reharmonized in the most interesting and intriguing ways, leading your ears down a path that is fresh and new. Favorite cuts of mine include "Midnight Sun," a tune with really interesting harmonization, "You're Blase," "My Old Flame," and, topping the list, "More Than You Know." My only criticism is that Peterson quite often plays too many notes too fast for my taste. Vaughan, however, tastefully demonstrates the command she has over the instrument that is her voice. She is truly one of the best vocalists of all time.

"I've Got the World on a String" (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler) – 5:38
"Midnight Sun" (Sonny Burke, Lionel Hampton, Johnny Mercer) – 4:40
"How Long Has This Been Going On?" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 6:03
"You're Blasé" (Ord Hamilton, Bruce Siever) – 5:10
"Easy Living" (Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin) – 4:40
"More Than You Know" (Edward Eliscu, Billy Rose, Vincent Youmans) – 6:46
"My Old Flame" (Sam Coslow, Arthur Johnston) – 6:14
"Teach Me Tonight" (Sammy Cahn, Gene de Paul) – 3:06
"Body and Soul" (Edward Heyman, Robert Sour, Frank Eyton, Johnny Green) – 3:43
"When Your Lover Has Gone" (Einar Aaron Swan) – 2:54

310l27irrfL_zps596ab072.jpg

Next Future -- CD

Eddie Gomez

1993 Stretch/GRP Records

Bassist Eddie Gomez is better as a sideman than as a leader on recording dates, but this is one of his stronger efforts in the latter category (even if one has to get used to him taking or sharing virtually all of the melodies). Chick Corea sticks exclusively to an atmospheric synthesizer, but otherwise this is a fairly straight-ahead quintet session featuring Gomez with the Coltrane-ish tenor of Rick Margitza, pianist James Williams, drummer Lenny White, and a guest appearance from flutist Jeremy Steig. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Next Future (Intro)
2. Next Future (Body)
3. Dreaming of You
4. North Moore St.
5. Lost Tango
6. Tenderly
7. Cheeks
8. Love Letter
9. Basic Trane-Ing
10. Walter (Pigeon)

Personnel: Eddie Gomez (bass); Rick Margitza (tenor & soprano saxophones); Jeremy Steig (flute); James Williams (piano); Chick Corea (synthesizer, piano); Lenny White (drums).Recorded at Skyline Studios, New York.All songs written by Eddie Gomez or Chick Corea except "Dreaming Of You" (Dan Wall/Carol Veto) and "Tenderly" (Jack Lawrence/Walter Gross).

51X%2BxRccBVL.jpg

Track Listings
1. A Simple Song
2. Weirdestan
3. Out Of Hand
4. Hell To Pay
5. BodyLine
6. Above And Beyond
7. Blood From A Stone
8. Uncommon Man
9. Apres Vous
10. All The Time In The World
11. Vincent Price
12. It'll Be Me

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3lH_Tevw5o[/youtube]

And yeah Zing, he could probably use fewer facial grimaces and head bobbing to indicate his intended musical expression, but that makes this real music, right? :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

It doesn't make it "real music", it makes it a real impassioned performance of that music.

Next time you and Joey are hangin' out, ask him why he doesn't perform while wearing Halo Traction.

HALO1.jpg

551346.jpg

Garcia -- CD

Jerry Garcia

1972/1995 Arista Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Garcia's 1972 debut was truly a labor of love for the Grateful Dead guitarist, an album on which he plays every instrument except drums--he leaves the traps to his Dead compatriot Bill Kreutzmann. Six wonderful Garcia originals (cowritten with lyricist Robert Hunter) appear on record for the first time, all of which would become staples of the Dead's repertoire. Garcia mixes in a few creepy sonic experiments for good measure, but the album truly revolves around particularly satisfying readings--especially vocally--of some of his most enduring songs. --Marc Greilsamer

1. Deal
2. Bird Song
3. Sugaree
4. Loser
5. Late for Supper
6. Spidergawd
7. Eep Hour
8. To Lay Me Down
9. An Odd Little Place
10. The Wheel

Back