• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Bob R said:
I don't have a recommendation.

I just had to give the 10,000 th reply.

:text-threadjacked:

WOW! 10,000 replies. This thread has really taken off! :banana-dance:

Thank to everyone for adding to this great thread! :eusa-clap:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

BBBBBEAUTIFUL Piano Ballads...... :bow-blue:

51zTQYsht5L.jpg

Ballad Essentials -- CD

Gene Harris

2003 Concord Records

This compilation draws 11 tracks from nine Gene Harris albums recorded for Concord Records between 1989 and 1995, and what's striking is how consistent those tracks are. Working at slow tempos, Harris plus his accompanists -- ranging from piano-guitar-bass-drums quartets to a duet with tenor saxophonist Scott Hamilton ("At Last"); a trio with organist Jack McDuff and bass player Luther Hughes ("You Don't Know What Love Is"); and, finally, a solo piano piece ("Angel Eyes") -- maintain a bluesy, soulful approach that values expressive, yet precise playing. Harris usually takes the lead, though he makes a wonderful backup musician to Hamilton on the first half of "At Last" before executing a flourish and taking over for some attractive soloing even there. Like many other jazz musicians, Harris really came into his own in his maturity at Concord, and this is a good selection that demonstrates the strength of his overall catalog with the label. ~ William Ruhlmann

Track Listing
1. Sweet and Lovely
2. Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
3. Until the Real Thing Comes Along
4. This Masquerade
5. At Last
6. Everything Happens to Me
7. Black and Blue
8. When You Wish Upon a Star
9. You Don't Know What Love Is
10. That's All
11. Angel Eyes

This is part of Concord Jazz's Ballad Essentials series.Personnel: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Jeff Hamilton, Jack McDuff (Hammond B-3 organ) , Paul Humphrey & the Cool Aid Chemists , Harold Jones (drums).Liner Note Author: Scott Yanow.Recording information: Capitol studios, Los Angeles, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Coast Recorders, San Francisco, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Manchester's Craftsmen's Guild, Pittsburgh, PA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Master Track, Hayward, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Maybeck Recital Hall, Berkley, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Spirit Wind Studios, Hayward, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995).

61q-p5kC6wL.jpg

Time Changes -- Remastered 24bit CD

The Dave Brubeck Quartet

1963/2004 Columbia Legacy

STILL GREAT OVER TIME January 11, 2006
By RobertC
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

I still own the original vinyl version of this album and must have played it 200 times over the last 4 decades. While there are lots of pops and scratches, the thing still sounds damn good. The CD version is first rate and has all the dynamics and nuances that make this my favorite Brubeck album. I own it for one reason, "Elementals." If memory service me, the Eastman Conservatory asked Brubeck to write and perform a piece with their orchestra in celebration. What ensues is a truely inspired performance by both the orhestra and quartet.
As a bonus, the CD contains a shorter version of the piece with just the quartet that precedes the fully orchestrated recording. You don't have to be a composition major to appreciate the structure that Brubeck created in this exercise in theme development and variation. I still hear things for the first time after all these years.

Track Listing
1. Iberia
2. Unisphere
3. Shim Wha
4. World's Fair
5. Cable Car
6. Theme From Elementals
7. Elementals

Dave Brubeck — piano
Paul Desmond — alto saxophone
Eugene Wright — double bass
Joe Morello — drums
Rayburn Wright — orchestra conductor

613XnGkwWEL.jpg

Time In -- Remastered 24bit CD

Dave Brubeck (Quartet)

1966/2004 Columbia Legacy

An Unheralded Classic October 23, 2005
By Willie Sordillo

Though not as adventurous in time signature explorations as the other recordings the classic Brubeck Quartet made in their series of "Time" recordings, this album is nonetheless a sublime gem. On this session, one of the most cohesive groups in the history of jazz exalts in its ability to swing mightily while retaining an intimate, hushed atmosphere. Dave's compositions, while seemingly simple compared to earlier pieces like "Strange Meadowlark" and "Unsquare Dance", and the later "Crescent City Stomp", belie the group's deftness at negotiating the considerable challenge of transforming the simple to the sublime. On "Softly, William, Softly" and "Forty Days", two of Brubeck's most beautiful themes, Desmond carves out solos so perfect, each note so carefully chosen and executed, yet so bursting with pure spontaneity, that they stand alongside anything composed, edited and honed by the best of jazz composers. It sounds so effortless it's easy for a casual listener to either write it off as facile or assume it had been worked out in advance. Neither is true. What is true is that this is a beautiful, overlooked masterpiece which I have come back to time and again since first owning it on LP 35 years ago. It never fails to satisfy. One of the most beautiful and significant works of art I've ever encountered.

1. Lost Waltz
2. Softly, William, Softly
3. Time In
4. Forty Days
5. Travellin' Blues
6. He Done Her Wrong
7. Lonesome
8. Cassandra
9. Rude Old Man [*]
10. Who Said That? [*]
11. Watusi Drums [*]

* Bonus Tracks not on the original LP

Dave Brubeck - piano
Paul Desmond - alto saxophone
Joe Morello - drums
Gene Wright - bass

92fbc060ada0d190169bb110.L.jpg

Blue Skies -- CD

Cassandra Wilson

1988 JMT/Polydor Tokyo Japan

On 1988's Blue Skies, Cassandra Wilson took her first step away from the home she had built with Steve Coleman's M-Base organization. She'd done standards before, all the way back to 1985's Songbook. There are no M-Base players on this JMT set. She fronts a very conventional trio comprised of pianist Mulgrew Miller, drummer Terri Lyne Carrington, and bassist Lonnie Plaxico. The last of these is very significant because it would be Plaxico who directed her very startling and focused transformation when she signed to Blue Note Records in 1993 and released Blue Light 'Til Dawn. The program is pure standard fare, from "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" and "Shall We Dance?" to the title track and Rodgers & Hart's "I Didn't Know It What Time It Was." This cut is the most startling break from the rest in that it is much more forceful and hard-swinging than other readings, and showcases for the first time Wilson's tremendous individuality as a vocalist. There is much of Betty Carter still in her style here, but on this cut, she's pure Wilson, even the scatting comes not from jazz but from the blues of Wilson's Mississippi homeland. Another standout is Carter Burwell's "Sweet Lorraine," which wasn't quite a standard at the time but is quickly becoming one covered by many singers and is delivered in the classic repertoire's lineage. Not a masterpiece, but a really compelling first experiment with the more intimate forms and smaller groups Wilson would employ later on. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Shall We Dance?
2. Polka Dots and Moonbeams
3. I've Grown Accustomed to His Face
4. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
5. Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You
6. I'm Old Fashioned
7. Sweet Lorraine
8. My One and Only Love
9. Autumn Nocturne
10. Blue Skies

Personnel: Cassandra Wilson (vocals); Mulgrew Miller (piano); Lonnie Plaxico (bass); Terri Lynne Carrington (drums).

boss_guitar_CD_large.jpg

Boss Guitar -- CD

Wes Montgomery

1963/1989 Riverside/OJC Records

Editorial Reviews

Wes Montgomery began his incredible series of recordings for Riverside in the organ trio context that he employed on gigs in his native Indianapolis. After a series of acclaimed albums featuring pianists, Montgomery ended his Riverside run by reuniting with Hammond B-3 master Melvin Rhyne on several sessions. The first, Boss Guitar, featured Jimmy Cobb on drums, and the Miles Davis veteran (and future Montgomery working partner) inspired the guitarist and organist to their greatest recorded work together. Highlights include a cooking 6/8 version of "Besame Mucho," the funky Montgomery blues "Fried Pies," and Montgomery's dazzling showpiece "The Trick Bag," (each heard in both master and alternate takes).

"Besame Mucho" (Consuelo Velázquez, Sunny Skylar) – 6:28
"Besame Mucho" [Alternate take] (Velazquez, Skylar) – 6:24
"Dearly Beloved" (Jerome Kern, Johnny Mercer) – 4:49
"Days of Wine and Roses" (Henry Mancini, Johnny Mercer) – 3:44
"The Trick Bag" (Wes Montgomery) – 4:25
"Canadian Sunset" (Eddie Heywood, Norman Gimbel) – 5:04
"Fried Pies" (Montgomery) – 6:42
"Fried Pies" Alternate take (Montgomery) – 6:35
"The Breeze and I" (Ernesto Lecuona, Al Stillman) – 4:08
"For Heaven's Sake" (Elise Bretton, Sherman Edwards, Donald Meyer) – 4:39

Wes Montgomery – guitar
Melvin Rhyne – organ
Jimmy Cobb – drums

414S48XDXDL_zpsf3f69a10.jpg

The Great American Songbook - Live -- CD

Carmen McRae

1972 Atlantic Jazz

On this popular two-LP set, singer Carmen McRae interprets songs by Duke Ellington, Cole Porter, Michel Legrand, Warren & Dubin, Henry Mancini, and Jimmy Van Heusen, among others, but it is her rendition of a humorous Jimmy Rowles novelty ("The Ballad of Thelonious Monk") that is best remembered. Joined by pianist Rowles, guitarist Joe Pass, bassist Chuck Domanico, and drummer Chuck Flores, McRae had what was at the time a rare opportunity to record a live, spontaneous, jazz-oriented set. She sounds quite enthusiastic about both her accompaniment and the strong repertoire, which includes "At Long Last Love," "I Only Have Eyes for You," "Sunday," "I Cried for You," and "I Thought About You." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Satin Doll
2. At Long Last Love
3. If the Moon Turns Green
4. Day by Day
5. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life
6. I Only Have Eyes For You
7. Medley: Easy Living/Days of Wine and Roses/It's Impossible: Easy Living / The Days Of Wine And Roses / It's Impossible
8. Sunday
9. Song For You, A
10. I Cried For You
11. Behind the Face
12. Ballad of Thelonious Monk, The
13. There's No Such Thing as Love
14. They Long to Be Close to You
15. Three Little Words
16. Mr. Ugly
17. It's Like Reaching For the Moon
18. I Thought About You

ce73225b9da01f8ef2c34110.L.jpg

Paul Desmond & The Modern Jazz Quartet -- RemasteredCD

1993 Sony/Red Barron Records

The MJQ made their annual Christmas gig at New York's Town Hall one year, and who should show up after intermission but Paul Desmond, who would hardly bring himself to play with anyone in those days, save a Creed Taylor record date or two. The cool classical modernists and the dry-martini altoist are not unexpectedly a close fit -- after all, Percy Heath and especially Connie Kay had been fixtures on Desmond's solo sessions -- and they do some relaxed swinging turns on some congenial standards, adaptations of P.D. tunes ("La Paloma," "Greensleeves"), one current hit ("Jesus Christ Superstar" in a cute John Lewis arrangement), and the inevitable "Bags' Groove" (here entitled "Bags' New Groove"). Again, Desmond softly intones perhaps his favorite standard in the repertoire (he recorded it countless times), "You Go to My Head," tumbling contrapuntally around Milt Jackson in the tune, while "East of the Sun" has a fine chase sequence between the two down the stretch. Though they had been friends since the 1950s, this was apparently the only time the MJQ and Desmond ever performed in public, making this one-off album (issued well after Desmond's death through Lewis's efforts) a thing to savor for fans of all five musicians. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Greensleeves
2. You Go to My Head
3. Blue Dove (La Paloma Azul)
4. Jesus Christ Superstar
5. Here's That Rainy Day
6. East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)
7. Bags' New Groove

Personnel: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); John Lewis (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Producers: John Lewis, Ken Glancy.Reissue producers: Ken Glancy, Bob Thiele.Recorded live at Town Hall, New York, New York on December 25, 1971. Includes liner notes by Irving Townsend.Digitally remastered by Chris Herles (Sony Studios, New York, New York).

51GFO9rn3XL.jpg

The Sheffield Jazz Experience -- 24k Gold 20bit CD

1996 Sheffield Records

The Sheffield Experience recording was the best I've experienced this past week. Clarity, depth, enhanced dynamics. October 7, 2013
By Mos Jazz

Audiophile recording at its best. Jazz musician's on each song were clearly heard and appreciated. Prior to listening to the cd I read the information on each musician and song. This enhanced my listening pleasure by allowing me to hear/feel all the sound/music produced on each song. My favorite tracks: #2, #4, #9, #12, and #14. If you enjoy listening to jazz played and recorded at its best....this is the cd to experience.

Track Listing
1. Sierra Highways - Pat Coil
2. (My Heart Says) Come on In - Clydene Jackson Edwards
3. Things Change - David Benoit/Jerry Hey
4. Pearl Grey - Phil Woods
5. The - Margie Gibson Song Is Ended
6. Happy Feet - Freeway Philharmonic
7. Wishing Well - Michael Ruff
8. Captain Bacardi - Dave Grusin
9. What It Takes - Lyle Mays
10. Aflat Elegy - Adam Makowicz
11. Livin' in the Love - Colleen Coil
12. Anyone Can See - John Beasley
13. Amuseum - James Newton Howard
14. Summertime - Lincoln Mayorga

Today's work truck music.....

c634c0a398a0cfc41e930210.L.png

Warm Your Heart -- CD

Aaron Neville

1991 A&M Records

Aaron Neville at his Best, August 15, 2001
By Robert Kall "Rob Kall of Opednews.com" (Newtown, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Warm Your Heart (Audio CD)

Aaron Neville has been around a long time. This CD is an extraordinary creation, which combines some original songs and some classics. Produced by Linda Ronstadt and George Massengill, it offer lush, rich sounds which really do Warm Your Heart.

Neville's voice is at it's best. Several songs include duet vocals with Linda Ronstadt or Rita Coolidge. Ry Cooder plays guitar on several tracks.

This was the first Aaron Neville album I purchased, after first becoming a fan of his from hearing him sing on one of Linda Ronstadt's albums that he did duets on. Since then, I've purchased many more and my family knows they can't go wrong buying me an Aaron Neville CD for a gift.

As I listen to this album, writing this review, I get chills. It is by far my favorite of all his albums. I even bought a back-up copy. Maybe it's the orchestration and production of Linda Ronstadt. Maybe he just found his peak performance mode when recording these songs.

Whatever it is, this CD is one I have listened to at least 50 times, and I expect it will continue to have its staying power for me.

"Louisiana 1927" (Randy Newman) – 3:04
"Everybody Plays The Fool" (J.R. Bailey, Rudy Clark, Ken Williams) - 4:25
"It Feels Like Rain" (John Hiatt)- 4:56
"Somewhere, Somebody" (Max Gronenthal, Andrew Kastner, Larry John McNally) - 3:01
"Don't Go, Please Stay" (Burt Bacharach, Bob Hilliard) - 2:40
"With You In Mind" (Allen Toussaint) - 3:32
"That's The Way She Loves" (Allen Toussaint) - 4:45
"Angola Bound" (Aaron Neville, Neville Brothers) - 4:32
"Close Your Eyes" (Chuck Willis) - 3:10
"La Vie Dansante" (Jimmy Buffett, Will Jennings, Michael Utley) - 3:21
"Warm Your Heart" (Tom Dowd, Ahmet Ertegun, Jerry Wexler) - 3:49
"I Bid You Goodnight" (traditional) - 4:00
"Ave Maria" (Franz Schubert)- 4:41

The album utilizes many guest vocalists, musicians and session musicians. Producer Linda Ronstadt sings on four songs on the album and Grammy Award winning Rita Coolidge sings on three. Other guests include slide guitarist Ry Cooder, saxophonist Plas Johnson, Bob Seger, Dr. John, Bob Glaub and Dean Parks.

267281b0c8a0f7ec0d7d8110.L.jpg

Positive Thinking... -- CD

Acoustic Alchemy

1998 GRP Records

Acoustic Alchemy's appealing mix of subtle world rhythms, improvisational steel and nylon string textures, and crisp pop and new agey melodies practically defined smooth jazz in the genre's early days. When co-founder Nick Webb -- who passed away in February 1998 from pancreatic cancer -- took his final turn for the worse just as recording was about to begin, longtime band accompanist John Parsons, a steel string master in his own right, stepped in. Fortunately, Parsons and Carmichael work up a striking chemistry of their own on Positive Thinking. Webb and Carmichael's final compositions feature recall some of their most beloved songs; the opener "Passionelle" begins with a sparse, gently percussive dual-strumming segment, building gradually in intensity before the rhythm section joins in for a soaring chorus, much like the title cut from 1990's Reference Point. Simple, caressing ballads like "Rainwatching W.I." and "Vapour Trails" recall two of AA's most memorable melodies, "Caravan of Dreams" and "Sarah Victoria." The colorful reggae and Latin rhythms and snappy repartee of "The Five Card Trick" recalls their first hit "Mr. Chow," but also incorporates a dash of wah-wah. "The Better Shoes'" slick production carries its '70s soul vibe to the extreme, emphasizing Carmichael and Parsons' punchy repartee. The album also features Webb and Carmichael's flamenco and classical guitar stylings; the elegiac title track (featuring a crying cello solo by Caroline Dale) and the fiery jungle percussion-driven jam "Limited Excess" incorporate both. "Limited Excess'" energetic spirit finds Carmichael expressing to his late partner that he will be sad for some time but will focus celebrating Webb's life forever. ~ Jonathan Widran

Track Listing
1. Passionelle
2. Rainwatching W.I.
3. Cadaqus
4. The Five Card Trick
5. Positive Thinking
6. The Better Shoes
7. Vapour Trails
8. Augustrsse 18
9. Time Gentlemen Please
10. Limited Excess

Personnel: John Parsons (guitar, electric guitar); Greg Carmichael (acoustic guitar, steel guitar); Miles Gilderdale (electric guitar, programming); Caroline Dale (cello); Rainer Bruninghaus (keyboards); Dennis Murphy (bass guitar); John Sheppard (drums); Mario Argandona (percussion).Audio Mixers: Klaus Genuit; Steve Jones .Recording information: Manor House, Monkton Coombe, England.Unknown Contributor Role: Nick Webb .Arranger: Nick Webb

511C1YWFKWL.jpg

Flesh and Blood -- CD

Hilary James and Bob James

1995 Warner Bros. Records

A pleasantly light collaboration between pianist Bob James and his daughter, in which her voice is used to good advantage on a collection of ballads that range from a James/James composition to Elvis Costello's "Baby Plays Around," taking in an e.e. cummings poem along the way. The end result is far more light soul music than jazz, with Hilary James not being called on to stretch her voice to any great extent (in fact, she's heavily multi-tracked on the majority of these songs), although there's some very nice jazz-inflected playing from Bob James and assorted musicians that include Manu Katche, Lee Ritenour and Pino Palladino. ~ Steven McDonald

Track Listing
1. Shelter Me
2. Storm Warning
3. Just Like My Lover
4. After the Fall
5. Somebody Make Me Laugh
6. Oasis
7. Baby Plays Around
8. Up into the Silence the Green
9. Flesh and Blood
10. We Could Make Such Beautiful Music Together

Personnel includes: Hilary James (vocals); Bob James (keyboards); Nick Moroch (acoustic & electric guitar); John Leventhal (acoustic, 12-string, electric & slide guitars, bazuki); Fareed Haque (classical guitar); Lee Ritenour (guitar); Nancy McAlhany (violin); Jill Jaffe (viola); Maxine Neuman (cello); Michael Colina (synthesizer, bass synthesizer); George Mraz (acoustic bass); Nathan East, Pino Palladino (bass); Harvey Mason, Manu Katche (drums); Max Risenhoover (drums, percussion); Leonard "Doc" Gibbs (percussion); Fonzi Thornton, Tawatha Agee, Eric Troyer, Rory Dodd, Will Lee, Sheri Huffman, Luther Vandross, Lisa Fischer, Julie Johnson, Paulette McWilliams (background vocals).Recorded at Remidi Studio, Ardsley-On-Hudson, New York; Right Track, Power Station, and Hit Factory, New York, New York.

Today's work truck music...

e41a793509a0bfaeb4723110.L.jpg

Blind Melon -- CD

Blind Melon

1992 Capitol Records

Very underrated CD by a very underrated band, November 27, 2002
By seth luke (Springfield, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blind Melon (Audio CD)

I remembering hearing "No Rain" when it first came out on the radio and it instantly became my childhood favorite [I was about 8 at the time]. "No Rain" is a good song and went on to be a decent hit, but unfortunately it turned out to be the only big hit by what turned out to be one of the most underrated bands of the 90's. After seeing the 'Behind The Music' on them I decided to get the cd and it wasn't a dissapointment at all. Sure, No Rain is great but so are "Dear Ol' Dad", "I Wonder", "Drive" and every last one of the songs on this album. There seriously isn't a single bad track [my personal favorite however, besides "No Rain", is "Change"]. If you like Jane's Addiction, The Violent Femmes, or heck, even Green Day then you'll probably like Blind Melon {I mean heck, I usually listen to grunge and hard rock and I still like them]. All of their albums are great and worth buying but their debut, in my opinion, is their best. So do yourself a favor and discover the wonders of Blind Melon!

Track List:

All tracks by Blind Melon unless listed.

"Soak the Sin" - 4:01
"Tones of Home" - 4:26
"I Wonder" - 5:31
"Paper Scratcher" - 3:14
"Dear Ol' Dad" - 3:02
"Change" (Hoon) - 3:41
"No Rain" - 3:37
"Deserted" - 4:20
"Sleepyhouse" - 4:29
"Holyman" - 4:47
"Seed to a Tree" - 3:29
"Drive" - 4:39
"Time" - 6:02

1febc060ada0f44ef8ad9110.L.jpg

Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane -- CD

1958/1989 Prestige/Fantasy-OJC Records

Great people, good tunes; you won't get tired of this one..., December 25, 2002
By William E. Adams (Midland, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane (Audio CD)

Kenny Burrell's guitar-playing sounds a lot like Wes Montgomery, who didn't make a splash in the jazz world until two years after this recording date. That means this disc would be worth buying for his leading work alone. But when you add in support three of the seven artists who created the classic "Kind of Blue" record just a year or so later, you of course have a first-rank album on your hands. John Coltrane on tenor sax, Paul Chambers on bass and Jimmy Cobb on drums all were part of the later Miles Davis-led album which is one of the most popular jazz works of all time. The final master-stroke was adding Tommy Flanagan on piano, who always is a welcome member of an ensemble. I suspect many recent and future buyers of this will do so because of Coltrane's prominent contributions, but everyone playing here gets kudos, especially Burrell. This disc runs just under 38 minutes, but it is so cheerful and lovely you will play it twice in a row most the time. If you are a 'Trane fan, or a fan of jazz guitar, you need to own this one.

"Freight Trane" (Tommy Flanagan) — 7:18
"I Never Knew" (Ted Fio Rito, Gus Kahn) — 7:03
"Lyresto" (Kenny Burrell) — 5:35
"Why Was I Born?" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern) — 3:11
"Big Paul" (Tommy Flanagan) — 14:13

Kenny Burrell — guitar
John Coltrane — tenor saxophone
Tommy Flanagan — piano
Paul Chambers — bass
Jimmy Cobb — drums

51DZOB69LjL.jpg

Sunny Rain -- Guitar Solos -- CD

Cindy Combs

2007 Windham Hill Records

Great slack-key guitar Hawaiian album August 19, 2007
By DJ Joe Sixpack HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWER
Format:Audio CD
A marvelous retrospective of instrumentals by Hawaiian slack-key guitarist Cindy Combs, covering her work from 1997-2007. Combs lives on Kauai, and performs regularly around the island. This is a lovely and rather thought-provoking album: Combs has an original approach, solidly in the super-mellow slack-key tradition, although she seldom slips into folk or blues modes, as do many other slide players.

Beautiful music -- highly recommended!

Track Listing
1. Sunny Rain - (Morning)
2. Laid Back Slack - (Morning)
3. Kamelenaheokekai - (Morning)
4. Days Of My Youth - (Morning)
5. Pakala - (Noon)
6. Medley: Ua Noho Au A Kupa/Wai'alae: Ua Noho Au A Kupa / Wai'Alae - (Noon)
7. Namolokama - (Noon)
8. Mauna Loa - (Noon)
9. Pu'olo Point - (Noon)
10. Mauna Loa Lei - (Night)
11. Lullabye (Goodnight Keiki) - (Night)
12. Aloha Oe A Hui Hou - (Night)
13. Night Blooming Cereus - (Night)

f71e225b9da02037e9b25110.L.jpg

The Hawk Relaxes -- Remastered 24bit CD

Coleman Hawkins

1961/2006 Prestige-Moodsville/Concord Records

Some would contend that THE HAWK RELAXES is largely mood music; it's made up almost entirely of ballads of a similar tempo. However, the quality of the music presented here automatically takes this recording (and all of the musicians) out of the limited realm of mood music.These subtle renderings of songs such as "Under a Blanket of Blue," "More Than You Know," and "Speak Low" feature not only Coleman Hawkins' inimitable thick but never hard-edged sound, but also a youthful Kenny Burrell's refined approach to the electric guitar. In fact, on the entire album, Burrell performs almost in the role of a horn player. The tenor legend and the guitarist develop quite a rapport over the course of these seven tracks. Don't be fooled by this music; it may be sleepy, but it's filled with some of the most advanced ballad playing jazz has ever fostered.

Track Listing
1. I'll Never Be the Same
2. When Day Is Done
3. Under a Blanket of Blue
4. More Than You Know
5. Moonglow
6. Just a Gigolo
7. Speak Low

Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Ronnell Bright (piano); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Ron Carter (bass); Andrew Cyrille (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on February 28, 1961. Originally released on Moodsville (15). Includes original release liner notes by Joe Goldberg.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1991, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

51dISATYBqL.jpg

Prestige 50th Anniversary Limited Edition -- 20bit K2 Remastered CD

Miles Davis And The Modern Jazz Giants

1959/1999 Prestige/Fantasy Records

Recorded in 1954, as Miles Davis was just beginning his 1950's peak with the Prestige label, MODERN JAZZ GIANTS is aptly named. Miles, his horn clear and crisp, is joined by three-fourths of the original Modern Jazz Quartet as well as bebop piano innovator Thelonious Monk. Oddly enough, Monk and Miles mixed like oil and water, but one can't tell from the recorded results--they're all at at the top of their game in a seminal session rich with inspired soloing and elegant swing. Davis was just starting to hone his mature style, maintaining his beautiful lyricism while cutting down on the number of notes played.

Track List:
1. THE MAN I LOVE (take 2)
2. SWING SPRING
3. 'ROUND MIDNIGHT*
4. BEMSHA SWING
5. THE MAN I LOVE (take 1)

Personnel: Miles Davis (trumpet); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Red Garland, Thelonious Monk (piano); Paul Chambers, Percy Heath (bass); Philly Joe Jones, Kenny Clarke (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on December 24, 1954 and October 26, 1956. Originally released on Prestige (7150).

MILES DAVIS, trumpet
MILT JACKSON, vibes
THELONIOUS MONK, piano
PERCY HEATH, bass
KENNY CLARKE drums

JOHN COLTRANE, tenor sax*
RED GARLAND, piano*
PAUL CHAMBERS, bass*
PHILLY JOE JONES, drums*

c66681b0c8a0a145737da110.L.jpg

Back To Oakland -- CD

Tower of Power

1974/1990? Warner Bros. Records

Paying tribute to their hometown, Tower Of Power's BACK TO OAKLAND is a landmark in the group's history. Sporting the syncopated instrumental "Oakland Stroke" that bookends the disc, this set is the very definition of the Tower Of Power sound and style, powered by both the ultra-funky rhythm section and the world-renowned Tower Of Power horns.Vocalist Lenny Williams is the guiding light through R&B-flavored cuts like the bouncing "Don't Change Horses (In the Middle of the Stream)" and the dramatic ballad "Just When We Start Makin' It." It's the signature instrumental "Squib Cakes," however, that opens the floodgates to all the funky power that the band can muster; it's the group's premiere showcase, with hearty contributions from keyboardist Chester Thompson, drummer David Garibaldi, and the entire stellar horn section.

Track Listing
1. Oakland Stroke...
2. Don't Change Horses (In the Middle of a Stream)
3. Just When We Start Makin' It
4. Can't You See (You Doin' Me Wrong)
5. Squib Cakes
6. Time Will Tell
7. Man From the Past
8. Love's Been Gone So Long
9. I Got the Chop
10. Below Us, All the City Lights
11. ...Oakland Stroke

Tower Of Power: Lenny Williams (vocals); Bruce Conte (guitar, background vocals); Emillo Castillo (tenor saxophone, background vocals); Lenny Pickett (flute, piccolo, soprano, alto, tenor, & bass saxophone); Steve Kupka (baritone saxophone, English horn, background vocals); Greg Adams (trumpet, flugelhorn, bells, background vocals); Mic Gillette (trumpet, flugelhorn, trombones, background vocals); Chester Thompson (keyboards, background vocals); Francis Rocco Prestia (bass); Brent Byars (congas); David Garibaldi (drums);

Back