• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51%2BY22N%2BU%2BL.jpg

Standards -- Remastered 20-bit SBM CD

Jimmy Smith

1957-59/1998 Blue Note Records

The ultimate late-night smoky nightclub music, this collection of standards by Hammond-organ master Jimmy Smith is as swirling and atmospheric as the lounge it evokes, a vision made complete by a loosened black tie and a couple scotches on the rocks. Smith's sidemen, Kenny Burrell and Donald Bailey, on guitar and drums respectively, provide subdued, elegant support: Burrell with measured comping, Bailey delicately brushing the snare throughout. When Burrell takes the lead, which he does quite often on this disc, his solos are skillful, intricate and lovely.Smith's Hammond organ sound, fat as a sandwich and smooth as an ice cube, works wonders on favorites like "Little Girl Blue," "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "Mood Indigo." Smith's playing, when he is doing chordal blocking or skittering over the higher register with skillful fingers, exhibits a style that is both graceful and groovy. Taken from sessions in '57, '58 and '59, STANDARDS is at once retro and modern, since Smith augments the nostalgic nightclub feel with the help of chorus settings, volume shifts and other effects. All in all, however, the effect is unified one: a relaxed sound that simply drips with cool.

Track Listing
1. Little Girl Blue
2. Bye Bye Blackbird
3. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
4. Ruby
5. September Song
6. I Didn't Know What Time It Was - (previously unreleased)
7. Memories of You - (previously unreleased)
8. But Beautiful - (previously unreleased)
9. Mood Indigo - (previously unreleased)
10. While We're Young - (previously unreleased)
11. It Might as Well Be Spring - (previously unreleased)
12. Last Dance - (previously unreleased)

STANDARDS contains seven tracks that are previously unissued.Personnel: Jimmy Smith (organ); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Donald Bailey (drums).Producer: Alfred Lion.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on August 25, 1957, July 15, 1958 & May 24, 1959. Tracks 1-5 originally released as ON THE SUNNY SIDE on Blue Note (1092). Includes liner notes by Ben Sidran.Digitaly remastered using 20-bit technology by Ron McMaster.

f71e225b9da02037e9b25110.L.jpg

The Hawk Relaxes -- Remastered 24bit CD

Coleman Hawkins

1961/2006 Prestige-Moodsville/Concord Records

Some would contend that THE HAWK RELAXES is largely mood music; it's made up almost entirely of ballads of a similar tempo. However, the quality of the music presented here automatically takes this recording (and all of the musicians) out of the limited realm of mood music.These subtle renderings of songs such as "Under a Blanket of Blue," "More Than You Know," and "Speak Low" feature not only Coleman Hawkins' inimitable thick but never hard-edged sound, but also a youthful Kenny Burrell's refined approach to the electric guitar. In fact, on the entire album, Burrell performs almost in the role of a horn player. The tenor legend and the guitarist develop quite a rapport over the course of these seven tracks. Don't be fooled by this music; it may be sleepy, but it's filled with some of the most advanced ballad playing jazz has ever fostered.

Track Listing
1. I'll Never Be the Same
2. When Day Is Done
3. Under a Blanket of Blue
4. More Than You Know
5. Moonglow
6. Just a Gigolo
7. Speak Low

Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Ronnell Bright (piano); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Ron Carter (bass); Andrew Cyrille (drums).Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on February 28, 1961. Originally released on Moodsville (15). Includes original release liner notes by Joe Goldberg.Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1991, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

ce73225b9da01f8ef2c34110.L.jpg

Paul Desmond & The Modern Jazz Quartet -- RemasteredCD

1993 Sony/Red Barron Records

The MJQ made their annual Christmas gig at New York's Town Hall one year, and who should show up after intermission but Paul Desmond, who would hardly bring himself to play with anyone in those days, save a Creed Taylor record date or two. The cool classical modernists and the dry-martini altoist are not unexpectedly a close fit -- after all, Percy Heath and especially Connie Kay had been fixtures on Desmond's solo sessions -- and they do some relaxed swinging turns on some congenial standards, adaptations of P.D. tunes ("La Paloma," "Greensleeves"), one current hit ("Jesus Christ Superstar" in a cute John Lewis arrangement), and the inevitable "Bags' Groove" (here entitled "Bags' New Groove"). Again, Desmond softly intones perhaps his favorite standard in the repertoire (he recorded it countless times), "You Go to My Head," tumbling contrapuntally around Milt Jackson in the tune, while "East of the Sun" has a fine chase sequence between the two down the stretch. Though they had been friends since the 1950s, this was apparently the only time the MJQ and Desmond ever performed in public, making this one-off album (issued well after Desmond's death through Lewis's efforts) a thing to savor for fans of all five musicians. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Greensleeves
2. You Go to My Head
3. Blue Dove (La Paloma Azul)
4. Jesus Christ Superstar
5. Here's That Rainy Day
6. East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)
7. Bags' New Groove

Personnel: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); John Lewis (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Producers: John Lewis, Ken Glancy.Reissue producers: Ken Glancy, Bob Thiele.Recorded live at Town Hall, New York, New York on December 25, 1971. Includes liner notes by Irving Townsend.Digitally remastered by Chris Herles (Sony Studios, New York, New York).

I've really enjoyed Patria Barber's Modern Cool in Surround, but it looks like that's the only album she's given that treatment. Still I picked up her new release:

pb-smash-cvr-lg_1.jpg

It's quite a bit different from Modern Cool, there's synth washes and some dissonance on this one, but still very tastefully done. Although stereo, the recording is again very very good (when the album credits include who lent them the mic preamps, you know they were putting some effort in! :mrgreen: ).

:music-listening:

cdcf225b9da02e815bda1110.L.jpg

Lucky Lucy Ann -- Remastered CD

Lucy Ann Polk

1957/1987 V.S.O.P. Records

Lucy Ann Polk's lone Mode/VSOP session pairs the singer with a sextet led by pianist and arranger Marty Paich, whose nuanced, spacious orchestrations perfectly complement Polk's sultry yet supremely controlled style. The strength of Lucky Lucy Ann is its subtlety -- not a note is wasted or extraneous, and for all the modernist elements converging in Paich's arrangements, he never obscures the clarity of perennials like "Makin' Whoopee" and "Time After Time." Polk likewise shades the universal themes of the lyrics with a style and fierce intelligence all her own -- for all the power of her voice, it's her restraint that rings loudest and clearest. ~ Jason Ankeny

Track Listing
1. Sitting in the Sun
2. How About You?
3. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
4. Squeeze Me
5. When the Sun Comes Out
6. Makin' Whoopee
7. Don'cha Go 'Way Mad
8. Sittin' and A-Rockin'
9. Memphis in June
10. Time After Time
11. Easy Living
12. Looking at You

Personnel: Lucy Ann Polk (vocals), Bob Hardaway (tenor saxophone), Dick Noel (trombone), Marty Paich (piano), Tony Rizzi (guitar), Buddy Clark (bass), Mel Lewis (drums).Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, California on July 12, 1957.

61K%2BiG9yqSL.jpg

The Modern Jazz Quartet -- Remastered CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1957/2002 Atlantic/Wounded Bird Records

A Unique Group December 19, 2009
By Royden
Format:Audio CD

I first heard the MJQ in 1954 as a 14 year old. So yeah, I'm 70. John Lewis was a great composer as well as a truly fine piano player. Milt Jackson was a very innovative vibe player. Percy Heath was as good as it gets for an upright bass player. Percy had all the electricity inside him and didn't need to plug his bass in anywhere. Connie Kay had so many faces as a jazz drummer. Each of these four musicians was among the very top of their respective professions. There have been other great groups, and I am sure more will come along after I'm gone, but there will never be another group with the chemistry of the MJQ. When this record was released it blew me away. If you don't know the MJQ, this is about as good an introduction as any, and many argue that it is the best. I don't really understand how anyone could pick a particular record and say it was the best the MJQ did. However, if you want to be educated in American jazz, this is a remarkably wonderful and creative group. To this day, when I hear an MJQ track where they are deep in the groove, it makes my very soul dance.

Track Listing
1. Medley: They Say It's Wonderful/How Deep Is The Ocean/I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You/My Old Flame/Body And Soul
2. Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
3. La Ronde: Drums
4. Night In Tunisia
5. Yesterdays
6. Bags' Groove
7. Baden-Baden

Modern Jazz Quartet: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); John Lewis (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums)originally released on Atlantic.

MI0001962146_zps3815b611.jpg

A Jazz Date With/Chris Craft (Two-Fer) -- Remastered CD

Chris Connor

1956 & 58/1994 Atlantic/Rhino Records

This reissue makes available two Chris Connor albums, A JAZZ DATE WITH CHRIS CONNOR and CHRIS CRAFT. Both date from her Atlantic Records prime, circa 1958. As produced by Nesuhi Ertegun, these are pure jazz sessions, spruced up a bit by Eddie Costa's vibes on A JAZZ DATE and enlivened by the fine guitarist Mundell Lowe on CRAFT. Connor is an airy yet completely unmannered singer. Her dry timbre is the equivalent of tenorman Al Cohn's vibratoless abstract sound. (Cohn himself is among the participants on the first album.)Both sessions give full reign to Connor's penchant for material just off the beaten track. While not exactly esoteric, such songs as Artie Shaw's exotic "Moon Ray" and Leonard Bernstein's "Lonely Town" are just unfamiliar enough to suggest a journey to some undiscovered place. Even when a melody is better known ("Moonlight In Vermont," "Lover Man"), Connor's steady refusal to pander to sentimentality allow one to listen with fresh ears.

Track Listing

A Jazz Date with Chris Connor
1. Moonray
2. Poor Little Rich Girl
3. Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)
4. Fancy Free
5. It's a Most Unusual Day
6. All I Need Is You
7. It Only Happens When I Dance with You
8. Lonely Town
9. Ev'rything I've Got
10. Driftwood
11. I'm Shooting High
12. My Shining Hour

Chris Craft:
13. Moonlight in Vermont
14. Gabriel, Blow Blow
15. Here Lies Love
16. Be a Clown
17. Good for Nothin' But Love
18. On the First Warm Day
19. My Chinatown Chinatown
20. One Love Affair
21. The Night We Called It a Day
22. Johnny One Note
23. Lover Man
24. Be My All

2 LPs on 1 CD: A JAZZ DATE WITH CHRIS CONNOR (1956)/CHRIS CRAFT (1958).A JAZZ DATE WITH CHRIS CONNOR:personnel: Chris Connor (vocals); Al Cohn, Lucky Thompson (tenor saxophone); Joe Wilder (trumpet); Sam Most (flute); Eddie Costa (vibraphone); Ralph Sharon (piano); Joe Puma (guitar); Oscar Pettiford (bass); Osie Johnson (drums); Chano Pozo (bongos); Mongo Santamaria (congas).Recorded in New York, New York from November to December 1956. Originally released as Atlantic (1286).CHRIS CRAFT Personnel: Chris Connor (vocals); Bobby Jaspar (flute); Al Epstein (English horn, bass clarinet); Stan Free (piano); Mundell Lowe (guitar); George Duvuvier, Percy Heath (bass); Ed Shaughnessy (drums).Recorded in New York, New York from March to May 1958. Originally released as Atlantic (1290). Includes liner notes by Howard Cook.Audio Remasterer: Gene Paul.Liner Note Author: Howard Cook.Recording information: 11/16/1956-06/23/1958.Photographer: Lee Friedlander.Arrangers: Ralph Sharon; Stan Free.

41M5RSK0QKL_zps85d9ea3d.jpg

Self Portrait -- 20bit K2 Mastered CD

Carmen Lundy

1999 JVC Music

Jazz singers have a great deal of difficulty in building a fresh repertoire because so many pop songs are not really transferable to creative music. Carmen Lundy solves the problem on this CD by writing six of her own songs, both lyrics and music. Her talents in that area are impressive and it would not be surprising if a few future standards came out of her repertoire. Lundy's memorable, deep voice, which has a wide range, can go very low (as heard on Jobim's "Triste") and on "Firefly" she overdubs a second part, making the performance sound like a male-female duet. A tasteful string section is used on some selections, but most songs utilize the core of a strong rhythm section (pianist Cedar Walton, John Clayton, or Nathan East on bass and drummer Ralph Penland) plus occasional guests Ernie Watts and Gary Herbig on reeds. Whether interpreting ballads, singing more heated pieces, or floating over a funky vamp, Carmen Lundy pays close attention to the lyrics and mood of each song but feels free to improvise spontaneously. This is one of her strongest recordings, with the high points including "Spring Can Really Hang You up the Most," "Firefly," "Forgive Me," and "My Ship." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listings
1. Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most
2. Better Days
3. My Favorite Things
4. Firefly
5. Forgive Me
6. These Things You are to Me
7. Triste
8. I Don't Want to Love
9. Without You
10. Old Friend
11. 'Round Midnight

Personnel: Carmen Lundy (vocals); Gary Herbig (soprano saxophone, alto & bass flutes, clarinet); Ernie Watts (tenor saxophone); Buell Neidlinger, Margaret Storer (oboe); Cedar Walton (piano); John Clayton, Jr., (acoustic bass); Nathan East (acoustic & electric basses); Ralph Penland (drums).String section: Assa Drori, Israel Baker, Pip Clarke, Joel Derouin, Henry Ferber, Ruth Johnson, Brian Leonerd, Gordon Marron, Don Palmer, Jay Rosen, Marc Sazer, Mari Tsumura, Elizabeth Wilson, Shari Zoppert (violin); Marilyn Baker, Kenneth Burward-Hoy, Keiko Elegino, James Ross (viola); Larry Corbett, Margaret Edmondson, Ernie Ehrhardt, Suzie Katayama, Ray Kelley, Fred Seykora (cello); Norman Ludwin (acoustic bass).Recorded at Oceanway Recorders, Hollywood, California in November 1994.

1340910935_emin.jpg

The mailman left me a box today with 7 new AIX recordings, just finished red chile cheese enchiladas with ranch beans and sliced avocado, it's snowing, and got a frig full of cold beer. Ah! :music-listening:

Botch said:
1340910935_emin.jpg

The mailman left me a box today with 7 new AIX recordings, just finished red chile cheese enchiladas with ranch beans and sliced avocado, it's snowing, and got a frig full of cold beer. Ah! :music-listening:

Nice Botch!!! When I arrived home Thursday evening, Danny was listening to Emin! I chilled out for a bit & took him in. Nice! Very smooth & he is easy on the eyes! From a woman's point of view, that is!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

Oh yeah, I think he's totally hot too! :angelic-green:

Seriousry, it's a very good sounding recording, guess you'd call it "intelligent pop"; I'll be listening to this one many times. :handgestures-thumbup:

EDIT: One curious thing about this bluray, the disk itself: the edges aren't cut "square" like every other disk I have, they're very rounded a smoothly polished, never seen that before. I noticed because I winged it across the room taking it out of the Oppo. :scared-eek:

Next Up:

41%2B1vl2f9rL.jpg

Botch said:
Oh yeah, I think he's totally hot too! :angelic-green:

I give YOU a :handgestures-thumbup: & :laughing-rolling: for this comment!!!

Next Up:

Botch said:

Oh My LORD!!!! Pachelbel...Canon in D perhaps??? If so...I need to hear it!!! Or buy it!!!! More information on this one!!!! :pray:

Happy Sunday everyone..... :banana-dance:

1545c0a398a01037bcea0210.L.jpg

We'll Never Turn Back -- CD

Mavis Staples

2007 Anti Records

Mavis Staple's 2007 album, WE'LL NEVER TURN BACK is a stunning achievement from one of soul and gospel's most revered singers. Produced by Ry Cooder, the album is built around freedom songs of the civil rights movement--some are traditional ("Eyes on the Prize"), some are appropriated for the theme ("99 and 1/2"), while others are originals ("I'll Be Rested"). As much a celebration of hard-won freedom as a reminder of past and current injustices, the album features stirring gospel choir vocals from both Ladysmith Black Mombazo and original members of the SNCC Freedom Singers.Yet the album is first and foremost a platform for Mavis Staples's stirring voice, one that is as much a liberating force as any protest. Cooder, to his credit, keeps things appropriately raw and immediate, and the band always positions Staples at the front of the line. As deeply moving as any album made in 2007, WE'LL NEVER TURN BACK is at once a call to arms, a new cadence for a new march, and the celebratory soundtrack for the jubilee on the other side of the mountain.

Track Listing
1. Down in Mississippi
2. Eyes on the Prize
3. We Shall Not Be Moved
4. In the Mississippi River
5. On My Way
6. This Little Light of Mine
7. 99 and 1/2
8. My Own Eyes
9. Turn Me Around
10. We'll Never Turn Back
11. I'll Be Rested
12. Jesus Is on the Main Line

Personnel: Mavis Staples (vocals); Ry Cooder (guitar, mandolin); Mike Elizondo (piano); Jim Keltner (drums); Joachim Cooder (percussion); Betty Fikes, Charles Neblett, Rutha Harris (background vocals).Audio Mixer: Martin Pradler.Liner Note Author: Rep. John Lewis.Recording information: Sound City Studio, Van Nuys, CA.Author: Mavis Staples.Photographer: David Bartlett.Arrangers: Ry Cooder; Joachim Cooder; Mavis Staples.

Babs said:
Oh My LORD!!!! Pachelbel...Canon in D perhaps??? If so...I need to hear it!!! Or buy it!!!! More information on this one!!!! :pray:
Well, this isn't classical at all, more of a jazz jam; I'm not familiar enough with Pachelbel to know if they're using his chords or not (I'm guessing, not). Fantastic sound, however.

Up now:
MI0001072136.jpg

MI0000486524_zpsde98aa69.jpg

Greatest Hits Plus -- CD

The Williams Brothers

2005 Blackberry Records

Representing three decades of the group's best
, March 1, 2007
By Reginald D. Garrard "the G-man" (Camilla, GA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Greatest Hits Plus (Audio CD)

If one wants to know what's sung at the average black church in the South, one need look no further than this compilation; for the songs of The Williams Brothers have been staples on Sunday morning services since their inception back in the 70's. The album features such traditional standards as "Jesus Will Fix It," "Jesus Will Never Say No," "I Won't Let Go of My Faith, and "I'm Just a Nobody," all "classics" of southern black gospel. Besides these stellar tracks, there are twelve others that are equally as inspiring and soulful.

Members Melvin Williams, Doug Williams, and Henry Green, along with a stellar group of background musicians and singers, are at the top of their game on each song.

As one that already has six other albums from the group, either individually or collectively, I can highly recommend this one as being perfect to get his/her "fix" of spiritual food.

Track Listing
1. Jesus Will Fix It
2. Jesus Will Never Say No
3. Somebody Needs You Lord
4. I Won't Let Go of My Faith
5. I'm Just a Nobody
6. Sweep Around
7. God Will Deliver
8. Never Could Have Made It
9. How I Depend on You
10. Prayer Made the Difference
11. This Is Your Night
12. Waitin' on Jesus
13. Straiten' It Out
14. Be There
15. Your Change Will Come

The Williams Brothers: Stan Jones (various instruments); Timothy "Tee" Hudson (strings, piano); Brian Jones, Terrell Midge Gatlin (bass instrument); Dwight Gordon, Carlous Robinson, Eddie Alford.Personnel: Dwight Gordon, Eddie Alford (guitar); Carlous Robinson (Fender Rhodes piano); Stan Jones (drums, background vocals); Terrell Midge Gatlin (background vocals).Audio Mixers: Doug Williams ; Melvin Williams; Stan Jones ; Randy Everett.Liner Note Authors: Doug Williams ; Melvin Williams; Henry Green.Recording information: Terminal Recording Studios, Jackson, MS.Photographers: Henry Green; Russ Harrington; Marilyn Williams.

comomamas_getanunde_101b_zps6cf979ba.jpg

Get An Understanding -- CD

The Como Mamas

2005/2013 Daptone Records

The Como Mamas are a trio of gospel singers from Como, a tiny town in Panola County in northwestern Mississippi. Ester Mae Smith, Angela Taylor, and her sister Della Daniels have been singing together since they were children. The trio appeared on Daptone's excellent compilation Como Now, a collection of a cappella gospel tunes recorded and produced by Michael Reilly using Mount Mariah Church as a studio. The Como Mamas performed three selections on that set. Like its predecessor, Get an Understanding is recorded a cappella and was cut front-to-back in a single morning at the church. This trio of voices provides more than enough sound for any listener; musical instruments would have been an intrusion. The throaty, raspy vocals of Smith lead the group's; her voice is earthshaking in its intensity; its expression one of coming right through the heart of worldly hardship -- aka the blues -- and plowing right on through it to the glory of the heavens. Taylor and Daniels voices provide pronounced rhythms, soulful harmonies, affirmative cadences, proclamations, and exhortations that push Smith's own conviction ever forward, through the lyrics and into the world of sound itself. Well-known spirituals "Peace of Mind," "Meet Me at the River Jordan," "I Know It Was the Blood," and "Soon I Will Be Done" are rendered with grainy rawness and stylistic panache, and embody not merely the history of Black gospel, but also the blues and rhythm & blues. No matter one's spiritual beliefs -- or lack of them -- she would have to have sawdust in her veins in place of blood not to be deeply moved by what is on display here. The term "soul stirring" doesn't begin to touch it. For those who seek the sounds of traditional gospel, à la Dorothy Love Coates and Clara Ward, or have been curious about gospel at its best, Get an Understanding is for you. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Old Landmark
2. God Is Able
3. God Is Good to Me
4. Thank Him Enough
5. Peace of Mind
6. I Know It Was the Blood
7. Meet Me at the River Jordan
8. Ninety Nine and a Half Won't Do
9. Soon I Will Be Done
10. One More River to Cross
11. I'm Going Home to Jesus
12. Hold Me Jesus
13. Nobody's Fault But Mine

Dennie said:
Happy Sunday everyone..... :banana-dance:

Yes, Dennie!!!! It's a great day for music & birthdays!!!!

Turning on the music soon while I bake one of Danny's favorite baked goods!
Orange Madeleines!!!! :happy-smileygiantred:

Botch said:
Up now:
MI0001072136.jpg

How is it? Been sorta thinking about getting that one... I'm actually working on learning the fourth Ballade now (F minor). It's... challenging. Chopin was one of the true geniuses.

I don't have any Chopin in my collection so I can't really judge, but I like it.

Back