• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

61tKTbR7ZxL._AA160_.jpg

Jason Boland & The Stragglers - Dark & Dirty Mile

51TT9nDQS4L._SS500_.jpg

Journey To Love -- CD

Stanley Clarke

1975/2008 Epic Records

All Good, December 8, 2004
By AustinTeddy "Teddy" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey to Love (Audio CD)

Not one bad cut. The great thing about this album is you can take each of the musicians singly and explore what they are doing. Listen to Jeff Beck...not on "Hello Jeff" (actually DO listen to that too!) but on "Journey to Love". His haunting solo fits perfectly with the mood of the song...and gives it the Beck Edge. George Duke glides throughout. David Sanctious (sp?) is a monster...not just on keyboard but guitar as well. From Stanley's original "Stanley Clarke" through this album and then to "School Days" this three album era was Stanley stepping out and rippin it up.

All tracks composed by Stanley Clarke; except where indicated

"Silly Putty" (4:52)
"Journey to Love" (4:52)
"Hello Jeff" (5:16)
"Song to John, Part 1" (Clarke, Corea) (4:22)
"Song to John, Part 2" (Clarke, Corea) (6:09)
"Concerto for Jazz/Rock Orchestra, Parts 1-4" (14:25)

Stanley Clarke - electric bass, acoustic bass, organ, piccolo bass (first used by Stanley Clarke) with Maestro Synthesizer on "Concerto For Jazz/Rock Orchestra," hand bells, tubular bells, gong, vocals
Jeff Beck - electric guitar on "Hello Jeff" and guitar solo on "Journey to Love"
Chick Corea - acoustic piano on "Song to John"
George Duke - organ, synthesizer, Moog synthesizer, keyboard, Arp Odyssey, clavinet, acoustic piano, electric piano, bells, vocals
Earl Chapin - brass horn
John Clark - brass horn
Jon Faddis - trumpet
Steve Gadd - drums, percussions
Peter Gordon - brass horn
Tom "Bones" Malone - trombone
John McLaughlin - acoustic guitar on "Song to John"
Alan Rubin - trumpet
David Sancious - electric guitar, 12-string guitar
Lew Soloff - trumpet
David Taylor - trombone
Lenny White - drums on "Hello Jeff"
Wilmer Wise - brass horn

GloriaEstefanStandards_zps1bf0f64f.jpg

The Standards -- Target Deluxe Edition CD

Gloria Estefan

2013 Sony Latin Masterworks

The Deluxe Edition of The Standards includes 4 exclusive bonus tracks: "Call Me Irresponsible," "For All We Know," "Smile" and "El Dia Que Me Quieras."

Celebrating great tunes from the American Songbook, The Standards features song classics sung in English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and French, some with new lyrics written by Estefan herself. The album also features collaborations with world class award-winning artists like singer songwriter Laura Pausini, violinist Joshua Bell and saxophonist Dave Koz.

The ambitious project has been "on my back burner for a long time," says Estefan. "I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Henry Mancini and great romance recording artists in Cuba. This genre is right up my alley, since music is always a catharsis to me."

Track listing:
1. Good Morning Heartache
2. They Can't Take That Away from Me
3. What a Difference a Day Makes
4. I've Grown Accustomed to His Face
5. Eu Sei Que Vou Te Amar
6. The Day You Say You Love Me
7. Embraceable You
8. What a Wonderful World
9. How Long Has This Been Going On
10. Sonríe
11. The Way You Look Tonight
12. You Made Me Love You
13. Young at Heart

Bonus tracks:
14. Call Me Irresponsible
15. For All We Know
16. Smile
17. El Dia Que Me Quieras

MI0003280634.jpg

Ok...at the first listen & mind you, I knew a tune of his or two...but then Zing jumped to another tune....DAMN, this dude kicks it!!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

b94d1470.jpeg

We enjoyed this as well, all but a couple from this. A classic, IMO! I would say for Zing too! BJoel is awesome!!!!!!

Botch said:
Babs said:
I read Pachelbel & immediately thought of one my favorite classical pieces. Canon in D is...utterly beautiful, leaves me with the most amazing feelings!!!!

Well, you got my curiosity up, so went to Amazon. They did have a new copy of the piece on SACD, but at $799.98 (the highest price I've seen for a disk yet), I'm not that curious. :shock: Did buy a stereo CD of the piece that was rated 5 starts, though, anxious to hear it. :text-thankyoublue:

The CANON is incredible! Not for $799.98 though!!!!! Good Gracious!!!!

We own a multitude of classical on a 'Readers Digest' CD set from many years ago!!!

Let me know what you think of the Canon!! Such an awesome piece of classical history!!!!
:handgestures-thumbup:

Today's work truck music....

51mLlhieL2L._SS500_.jpg

In A Sentimental Mood -- CD

Dr. John

1989 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

Mac Rebennack's long commercial drought finally ended in the late '80s with In a Sentimental Mood, an album of pop standards bearing almost no connection to New Orleans R&B roots. His album-opening duet with Rickie Lee Jones, "Making' Whoopee," was a big hit after it was included on the Sleepless in Seattle soundtrack, and it's easy to understand why Harry Connick Jr. fans who'd bought When Harry Met Sally were seduced by this coy come-on. Still, it's odd to hear Rebennack's scruffy baritone in service to such lush, sweeping orchestration (and to hear him sing a line like "I've got a sweet tooth for your sweet heart"). The Doctor does lend a nice bluesy feel to a Satchmo favorite, "My Buddy," and to Charles Brown's classic, "Black Night," and his version of "More Than You Know" is a small miracle of understatement. --Keith Moerer

Track listing

1. Makin' Whoopee!
2. Candy
3. Accentuate the Positive
4. My Buddy
5. In a Sentimental Mood
6. Black Night
7. Don't Let the Sun Catch You Cryin'
8. Love For Sale
9. More Than You Know

Babs said:
b94d1470.jpeg

We enjoyed this as well, all but a couple from this. A classic, IMO! I would say for Zing too! BJoel is awesome!!!!!!

Definitely one of my favorites from this Long Island, NY Artist!

Dennie said:

Gloria Estefan

The Deluxe Edition of The Standards includes 4 exclusive bonus tracks: "Call Me Irresponsible," "For All We Know," "Smile" and "El Dia Que Me Quieras."

Celebrating great tunes from the American Songbook, The Standards features song classics sung in English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and French, some with new lyrics written by Estefan herself. The album also features collaborations with world class award-winning artists like singer songwriter Laura Pausini, violinist Joshua Bell and saxophonist Dave Koz.

The ambitious project has been "on my back burner for a long time," says Estefan. "I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Henry Mancini and great romance recording artists in Cuba. This genre is right up my alley, since music is always a catharsis to me."

Track listing:
7. Embraceable You
10. Sonríe
12. You Made Me Love You
13. Young at Heart

Bonus tracks:
15. For All We Know
16. Smile

So Dennie, is this one a buy? How good is it?

Babs said:
Nice!!!! Awesome!

My favorites are...

Makin' Whoopee!
Accentuate The Positive
My Buddy

:handgestures-thumbup:
WHAT?! :scared-eek: No love for Love For Sale?

51hNiOvGHFL.jpg

Swingsation -- Remastered CD

Lionel Hampton

1998 GRP Records

Since Hampton's big band started in the late '20s and endured for decades beyond, this collection cannot be comprehensive. But in the mid-'30s to late '40s, they were in their prime and a force to be reckoned with. So this slice of history is a decent introduction for those not familiar with the drummer and vibists' mix of unflappable swing, layered charts and friendly jive. Of course you get two obligatory versions of "Flying Home," classics "Air Mail Special," "Blow Top Blues," and "Red Top," goof tunes like "Hey Ba-Ba-Re-Bop!," the ultimate heart stopper "Midnight Sun," and lesser known but potent jam numbers "Cobb's Idea" and "Hamp's Got a Duke." It's a good start toward learning about one of the more important musical and sociological icons of America. ~ Michael G. Nastos

Track Listing
1. Flying Home
2. Royal Family
3. In the Bag
4. Loose Wig
5. No. 2 Flying Home
6. Hamp's Boogie Woogie
7. Million Dollar Smile
8. Ribs and Hot Sauce
9. Blow Top Blues
10. Hey! Ba-Ba-Re-Bop
11. Pts. 1 & 2 Rockin' in Rhythm
12. Pts. 1 & 2 Air Mail Special
13. Cobb's Idea
14. Hamp's Got a Duke
15. Midnight Sun
16. Red Top

Personnel includes: Lionel Hampton (vocals, vibraphone, piano); Dinah Washington (vocals); Marshall Royal, Jack Kelson (alto saxophone, clarinet); Ray Perry (alto saxophone, violin); Earl Bostic, Herbie Fields, Bobby Plater, Ben Kynard (alto saxophone); Illinois Jacquet, Eddie Barefield, Al Sears, Arnett Cobb, Johnny Griffin (tenor saxophone); Jack McVea, Charles Fowlkes (baritone saxophone); Ernie Royal, Eddie Hutchinson, Cat Anderson, Kenny Dorham (trumpet); Fred Beckett, Sonny Craven, Harry Sloan (trombone); Milt Buckner (piano); Irving Ashby, Eric Miller, Billy Mackel (guitar); Charles Mingus, Charles Harris, Ted Sinclair, Vernon Alley, Vernon King (bass); Lee Young, Fred Radcliffe, George Jones, George Jenkins (drums).Recorded between 1942 and 1947. Includes liner notes by Jim Macnie.Digitally remastered by Erick Labson.This is part of GRP Records' Swingsation series.

heeman said:
Dennie said:

Gloria Estefan

Track listing:
7. Embraceable You
10. Sonríe
12. You Made Me Love You
13. Young at Heart

Bonus tracks:
15. For All We Know
16. Smile

So Dennie, is this one a buy? How good is it?

If you like Gloria, it is a no-brainer. If you are not really into Gloria, you can pass on this one.

I like her and am happy to have it, especially with the Bonus Tracks from Target! :banana-dance:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

61fjh9mhf%2BL.jpg

The Gene Harris Trio Plus One -- CD

1986 Concord Jazz

This superb album (reissued on CD) solidified pianist Gene Harris' return to the jazz major leagues. Teamed up with bassist Ray Brown, drummer Mickey Roker, and tenor saxophonist Stanley Turrentine, Harris stretches out on such songs as Ray Brown's blues "Gene's Lament," "Things Ain't What They Used to Be," "Yours Is My Heart Alone," and "Battle Hymn of the Republic." Harris and Turrentine work together so well on this soulful blues/bop date that one wishes they had teamed up much more often. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Gene's Lament
2. Misty
3. Uptown Sop
4. Things Ain't What They Used to Be
5. Yours Is My Heart Alone
6. Battle Hymn of the Republic

Gene Harris Trio: Gene Harris (piano); Ray Brown (bass); Mickey Roker (drums).Additional personnel: Stanley Turrentine (tenor saxophone).Recorded live at the Blue Note, New York, New York in November & December 1985. Includes liner notes by Ed Berger.

090f225b9da08f1cc590f010.L.jpg

Fumbling Towards Ecstasy -- CD

Sarah McLachlan

1993 Arista Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Pre-Lilith Fair, McLachlan had critical acclaim and a cult following but was otherwise just another hard-working female singer/songwriter--one who wasn't blasting down doors with overt sexuality or popping along in front of a male Svengali. Similar in their emotional urgency to her more recent work but delightfully less polished, these folk-rock songs are surprising gems. If not for McLachlan's poignant vocals, lyrics like "Your love is better than ice cream" (on "Ice Cream") would sound childishly absurd (especially alongside deeper material like "Hold On"), but here they're given just as much respect as the weightier issues she explores. A great album to accompany your moments of introspection. --Rebecca Wallwork

All songs written by Sarah McLachlan unless otherwise noted.

1. "Possession" – 4:39
2. "Wait" – 4:09
3. "Plenty" – 4:05
4. "Good Enough" – 5:03
5. "Mary" – 3:55
6. "Elsewhere" – 4:44
7. "Circle" – 3:43
8. "Ice" – 3:54
9. "Hold On" – 4:09
10. "Ice Cream" – 2:44
11. "Fear" – 3:59
12. "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" (Pierre Marchand, McLachlan) – 9:49
* "Possession" (hidden track) (solo piano version)

Different artists covering Leon Russell's 'A Song For You'. So far...Christina WINS!!!!! :music-rockout:

Today's work truck music...

51FfUrOIGoL.jpg

To All The Girls... -- CD

Willie Nelson

2013 Sony Legacy Records

To All The Girls... finds Willie reunited with his two greatest loves: beautiful music and talented women.
Decades of heartfelt performances and compositions in popular music have long solidified Willie's reputation as one of country s greatest romantics. To All The Girls...continues Nelson's musical relationships with some of the most talented women in country, pop and soul.

Among the centerpieces of To All The Girls... is the emotional duet with Dolly Parton, "From Here To The Moon and Back," a song Parton wrote for the 2012 motion picture Joyful Noise. Willie also tackles the Bill Withers' classic "Grandma's Hands" with Mavis Staples, duets with Sheryl Crow on the Great American Songbook selection "Far Away Places," and brings a new shade to his self penned classic "Always on My Mind" with Carrie Underwood.

Willie is also joined by familiar contemporaries including Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, Miranda Lambert, Norah Jones, Loretta Lynn and Rosanne Cash. To All The Girls... reunites Willie with producer Buddy Cannon, who worked with Willie on his most recent successful releases, Heroes and Let's Face The Music and Dance.

Track Listing:

1. ‘From Here to the Moon and Back’ (With Dolly Parton)
2. ‘She Was No Good for Me’ (With Miranda Lambert)
3. ‘It Won’t Be Very Long’ (With the Secret Sisters)
4. ‘Please Don’t Tell Me How the Story Ends’ (With Rosanne Cash)
5. ‘Far Away Places’ (With Sheryl Crow)
6. ‘Bloody Mary Morning’ (With Wynonna Judd)
7. ‘Always on My Mind’ (With Carrie Underwood)
8. ‘Somewhere Between’ (With Loretta Lynn)
9. ‘No Mas Amor’ (With Alison Krauss)
10. ‘Back to Earth’ (With Melonie Cannon)
11. ‘Grandma’s Hands’ (With Mavis Staples)
12. ‘Walkin” (With Norah Jones)
13. ‘Till the End of the World’ (With Shelby Lynne)
14. ‘Will You Remember Mine’ (With Lily Meola)
15. ‘Dry Lightning’ (With Emmylou Harris)
16. ‘Making Believe’ (With Brandi Carlile)
17. ‘Have You Ever Seen the Rain’ (With Paula Nelson)
18. ‘After the Fire Is Gone’ (With Tina Rose)

Back