• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

61iUFSxM16L.jpg

For Lady Day -- CD

Zoot Sims

1991 Pablo Records

It is strange that this album was not released until the CD came out in 1990, for tenor saxophonist Zoot Sims and pianist Jimmy Rowles' tribute to Billie Holiday is melodic, tasteful, and largely memorable. Together with bassist George Mraz and drummer Jackie Williams back in 1978, they perform 11 songs associated with Holiday, including quite a few that would have been lost in obscurity if Lady Day had not uplifted them with her recordings. Highlights include "Easy Living," "Some Other Spring," "I Cried for You," "Body and Soul," and "You're My Thrill." A lyrical and heartfelt tribute. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Easy Living
2. That Old Devil Called Love
3. Some Other Spring
4. I Cover the Waterfront
5. You Go to My Head
6. I Cried For You
7. Body and Soul
8. Travelin' Light
9. You're My Thrill
10. No More
11. My Man

Personnel: Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone), Jimmy Rowles (piano), George Mraz (acoustic bass), Jackie Williams (drums).Recorded in New York in April, 1978.

41xRWNk5SuL.jpg

...Sings The George Gershwin Almanac of Song -- 2 CD Box Set

Chris Connor

1989 Atlantic Jazz

Most of this highly recommended set is taken from a series of 1957 sessions in which singer Chris Connor exclusively interprets songs of George Gershwin. To fill out the CDs, additional Gershwin cuts from other, otherwise unrelated dates by the vocalist have been added. Connor's cool delivery gives many of the largely familiar songs new life. She is assisted by such fine musicians as trumpeter Joe Newman, tenorman Al Cohn, flutist Herbie Mann, vibraphonist Milt Jackson and pianist Ralph Sharon, who add tasteful and concise solos. Many of the selections were quite rare before this well-conceived and appealing reissue was put together. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing

DISC 1:
1. But Not For Me - (bonus track)
2. Of Thee I Sing
3. Strike up the Band
4. I've Got a Crush on You
5. Soon
6. Liza
7. Looking For a Boy
8. I Got Rhythm
9. I've Got Beginner's Luck
10. Slap That Bass
11. For Me, For Everyone For You
12. Love Is Sweeping the Country
13. The Man I Love
14. 'S Wonderful
15. A Foggy Day
16. Medley From "Porgy and Bess": Summertime / There's A Boat That's Leaving Soon For New York / I Love You Porgy

DISC 2:
1. Nice Work If You Can Get It
2. Blah Blah Blah
3. They Can't Take That Away From Me
4. Clap Yo Hands
5. Little Jazzbird
6. I Was Doing All Right
7. My One and Only
8. That Certain Feeling
9. Fascinating Rhythm
10. Our Love Is Here to Stay
11. They All Laughed - (bonus track)
12. How Long Has This Been Going On
13. I Can't Be Bothered
14. Love Walked In
15. Somebody Loves Me
16. Embraceable You
17. Strike up the Band - (bonus track)
18. Summertime - (bonus track)

dfac228348a0b957956ee010.L.jpg

This Is Love -- CD

Lee Ritenour

1998 i.e.Music/Verve Records

Lee Ritenour's first solo album for his new i.e. music label is a good one, one of his best actually, whether staying in the strict jazz-lite format that marks a lot of his previous work or straying into the other idioms that pop up here. Whether emulating Wes Montgomery's octaves or curling around in single-string fashion, Ritenour's playing is irresistibly tasty and swinging, perhaps more so than ever, and the material has real melodic interest -- more so than anything his former group Fourplay was performing around this time. Among the most interesting swerves off the track are the title tune, which mixes reggae with Montgomery in a very appealing way, and a surprisingly effective closing take on Fauré's "Pavanne." There are extended samples from Sonny Rollins' Alfie score, with "Alfie's Theme" grooving away in a cool, soulful, organ-jazz seam and "Street Runner" tracking Rollins' recording, its quicksilver post-bop clip juxtaposed with repose. On both tracks, Ronnie Foster supplies authentic Hammond B-3 -- perhaps fulfilling a Jimmy Smith-meets-Wes Montgomery fantasy. Bill Evans and Ernie Watts take guest turns on tenor on a few cuts; Bob James chips on agreeably on Rhodes electric piano on "Can You Feel It?"; and Ritenour often takes matters into his own hands, programming electronic drums and performing on synthesizers. Hardcore jazzers who wrote Ritenour off as a lightweight ought to hear how he has grown as a mature jazz guitarist on this album. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. This Is Love
2. Mr. Papa
3. Can You Feel It?
4. Dream Away
5. Alfie's Theme
6. And You Know What...I Love You
7. Baltimore
8. Ooh Yeah
9. Street Runner
10. Dreamwalk
11. Pavane

Personnel: Lee Ritenour (acoustic & electric guitars, synthesizer, bass, drum programming); Phil Perry, Lisa Fischer (vocals); Larry Williams (saxophone, flute, synthesizer, keyboards); Bill Evans (soprano & tenor saxophones); Ernie Watts (tenor saxophone); Jerry Hey (trumpet, flugelhorn); Gary Grant (trumpet); Bill Reichenbach (trombone); Ralph Morrison (violin); Alan Pasqua (piano, Fender Rhodes); Bob James (Fender Rhodes); Ronnie Foster (Hammond B-3 organ); Frank Becker (synthesizer, programming); James Genus (acoustic & electric basses); Melvin Davis (bass); Dave Weckl, Sonny Emory (drums); Paulinho Da Costa (timbales, percussion).Recorded at Starlight Studios & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California between December, 1997 and February, 1998.Adapters: David Matthews ; Lee Ritenour ; Nina Simone.

61diLhuTKrL.jpg

Six Pack -- CD

Gary Burton & Friends

1992 GRP Records

Gary Burton's peculiar connection and affinity for great guitarists is a proven historical fact, as he has been responsible for bringing such fantastic musicians to the world stage as Larry Coryell and Pat Metheny. On Six Pack, he joins with six different six-stringers for some decidedly varied modern jazz. Kurt Rosenwinkel makes like Metheny on the first track, the up-tempo Mitch Forman composition "Anthem." Any predictability to the song disappears in the presence of the rhythm section of Jack DeJohnette, Steve Swallow, and Mulgrew Miller. One doesn't generally think of the vibes as a blues instrument, and to be fair, it's really not, but Burton gives it the old college try on the title track, where his vibes intersect surprisingly well with Bob Berg's tenor sax and B.B. King's guitar. There is absolutely nothing weighty about this song at all, but it is fun and swinging nevertheless (who says jazz has to be serious all the time?). John Scofield also shows up on the track, and his distinctive tone and phrasing work perfectly in this setting. Other selections include such notables as Jim Hall, Ralph Towner, and Kevin Eubanks, and all of their contributions are solid in their own way. One sometimes wishes that this record was a little less GRP, with Larry Goldings' keyboards and Berg's sax being the most frequent offenders, but there are plenty of hot moments on Six Pack that make this record worth searching out, especially for fans of jazz guitar. Where else will listeners find all of these great players on a single record? ~ Daniel Gioffre Recorded at The Power Station, New York on December 28 & 29, 1991, January 4, February 24 and April 25, 1992.

1. Anthem
2. Six Pack
3. Summertime
4. Jack's Theme
5. Lost Numbers
6. Double Guatemala
7. Asphodel
8. Redial
9. Invitation
10. My Funny Valentine
11. Something Special
12. Guitarre Picante

Personnel: Gary Burton (vibraphone, percussion); Jim Hall, Kurt Rosenwinkel , B.B. King, Kevin Eubanks, John Scofield (guitar); Ralph Towner (classical guitar); Bob Berg (tenor saxophone); Paul Schaffer, Paul Shaffer (piano, organ); Mulgrew Miller (piano); Larry Goldings (organ, keyboards); Jack DeJohnette (drums); Will Lee (percussion). Liner Note Authors: Jim Hall; Kurt Rosenwinkel ; Ralph Towner; B.B. King; Kevin Eubanks; John Scofield; Neil Tesser.

AhmadJamalCountem88_zps52fed3c2.jpg

Count 'em 88 - Remastered CD

Ahmad Jamal Trio

1956/2012 101 DISTRIBUTION

Ahmads first album with his new trio of Israel Crosby (bass) and Walter Perkins (drums), Count Em 88 was originally released in 1956. Whilst he was popular in and around the Chicago area, his nationwide breakout wouldnt occur for another year, but there are signs on this album that the template he would later use to so much effect was very much in place. There is great interplay between Ahmad, Israel and Walter, making this as vital a release as any of the subsequent albums and on par with anything that came before or after.

TRACK LIST

1. Volga Boatman
2. On Green Dolphin Street
3. How About You?
4. I Just Can't See For Looking
5. Spring Will Be A Little Late This Year
6. Beat Out One
7. Maryam
8. Easy To Remember
9. Jim Love Sue

cc55c060ada0fca70277b110.L.jpg

Volume 1 -- CD

The Earl Klugh Trio

1991 Warner Bros. Records

A departure from the type of boring, innocuous elevator Muzak Earl Klugh is best known for, Earl Klugh Trio, Vol. 1 gives listeners a rare chance to hear the guitarist playing straight-ahead jazz. Some bebop musicians contend that playing dull background music year after year means you can kiss your bebop chops goodbye, but there's no evidence of that on this rewarding CD. With Klugh sticking to acoustic guitar and employing Ralph Armstrong on upright bass and Gene Dunlap on drums, someone who is best known for recording schlock offers tasteful and lyrical interpretations of such well known standards as "I'll Remember April," "Night and Day" and "One Note Samba." Klugh also excels on "Lonely Girl" (a beautiful but underexposed Neal Hefti piece) and pleasantly surprises by demonstrating that the theme from the '60s sitcom Bewitched and the Aretha Franklin hit "I Say a Little Prayer" (written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David) can work in an acoustic bebop setting. Undeniably, this is the best album Klugh ever recorded -- it's too bad it was a departure from his norm instead of a primary direction. ~ Alex Henderson

Track Listing
1. Bewitched
2. Days of Wine and Roses
3. Insensatez (How Insensitive)
4. Love Theme From "Spartacus"
5. I'll Remember April
6. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life
7. I Say a Little Prayer
8. Night and Day
9. Lonely Girl
10. Too Marvelous For Words
11. One Note Samba

Personnel: Earl Klugh (guitar), Ralph Armstrong (acoustic bass) and Gene Dunlap (drums)

Today's work truck music...

61O-Ep4pFgL._SS500_.jpg

Abandoned Luncheonette -- CD

Daryl Hall & John Oates

1973 Atlantic Records

Best early Hall & Oates
, September 11, 2000
By David Hugaert (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Abandoned Luncheonette (Audio CD)

"Abandoned Luncheonette" features the kind of music at which Daryl & John are most adept-Philly Soul. All the songs here are excellent, with the cream of the crop being "When The Morning Comes", "Las Vegas Turnaround", "I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)", the title track, "Lady Rain" and "Laughing Boy". "Everytime I Look At You" is the most soulful track on this CD, which has a "hillbilly" banjo and violin-laden instrumental at the end. This is probably as close to country that H & O ever got! This has to be the best CD in their entire catalog. Oh, and "Abandoned Luncheonette" also contains their first hit single, "She's Gone", which appeared on the Billboard charts on two separate occasions. If you are a fan of soul and/or pop music, you can't go wrong here. Please buy this CD!

"When The Morning Comes" (Daryl Hall) – 3:12
"Had I Known You Better Then" (John Oates) – 3:22
"Las Vegas Turnaround (The Stewardess Song)" (Oates) – 2:57
"She's Gone" (Hall, Oates) – 5:15
"I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)" (Oates) – 3:20
"Abandoned Luncheonette" (Hall) – 3:55
"Lady Rain" (Hall, Oates) – 4:26
"Laughing Boy" (Hall) – 3:20
"Everytime I Look At You" (Hall) – 7:04

61Ej00cW7LL.jpg

A John Prine Christmas -- CD

John Prine

2009 Oh Boy Records

For anyone who'd lost track of John Prine after the 1970s, the idea of a rather cynical singer/songwriter recording a holiday album must have seemed a rather odd one. But Prine, while never relinquishing his wry sense of humor, had mellowed quite a bit since writing about getting kicked off of Noah's ark in "Sweet Revenge." Besides, by 1988 he had his own record company, and it's always nice to have a perennial favorite in the catalog. The first two songs are originals and are probably the best songs on the album, with Prine once again offering his observations on relationships gone sour. The first, though, surprisingly relates that even though the narrator's girl dumped him a year ago on Christmas, he's learned to go on with his life. The bitterness, however, creeps back in to "All the Best." Prine opens this live piece with a funny monolog about him and a friend nailing a train set to the dining room table, and then delves into a sad story of love thrown away like yesterday's Christmas tree. He also includes a new version of "Christmas in Prison," a solid song from his third album, Sweet Revenge. The remainder of the album is filled with holiday classics, including a fun take on "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." The downside of the album is that it's awful short -- 32 minutes -- and even then, one of the songs -- a duo with Margo Timmins on "If You Were the Woman and I Was the Man" -- doesn't even come close to fitting the holiday spirit (though it may have fit on the Dirty Santa soundtrack). Still, this isn't the run-of-the-mill holiday product, and Prine can still write a good song when he sets his mind to it. Old fans will be glad to see that even cynics can age gracefully. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.

Track Listing
1. Everything Is Cool
2. All the Best
3. Silent Night All Day Long
4. If You Were the Woman and I Was the Man
5. Silver Bells
6. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
7. Christmas in Prison
8. A John Prine Christmas

61xtPikhTnL.jpg

Summer Wind: Live at The LOA -- CD

The Ray Brown Trio

1990 Concord Jazz (Import Germany)

Ray Brown has many great contributions to jazz as a leader and a sideman, but one additional way in which he helped jazz was his encouraging Gene Harris to give up his early retirement and go back out on the road. The pianist was a part of Brown's groups for several years before he formed a working quartet and became a leader for good once again. This 1988 concert at a since-defunct Santa Monica night club (co-owned by Brown) finds the two, along with drummer Jeff Hamilton, at the top of their game. A phone ringing in the background distracts momentarily from Brown's opening solo in his composition "The Real Blues," during which Harris repeats a bluesy tremolo, which may be an inside joke about the early distraction. Harris take a blues-drenched approach to "Mona Lisa" before giving way to the leader's solo, while his lyrical approach to "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" is shimmering. Hamilton's soft brushes are prominent in "Little Darlin'," but his explosive playing provides a powerful pulse to the very unusual strutting take of "It Don't Mean a Thing." This extremely satisfying CD is warmly recommended. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Summer Wind
2. The Real Blues
3. Li'l Darlin'
4. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
5. Mona Lisa
6. Buhaina Buhaina
7. Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man
8. Bluesology

Ray Brown Trio: Ray Brown (acoustic bass); Gene Harris (piano); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded live at The Loa, Santa Monica, California in July 1988. Includes liner notes by Chip Deffaa and Leonard Feather.

7851810ae7a0cd4787a3a110.L.jpg

Longing In Their Hearts -- CD

Bonnie Raitt

1994 Capitol Records

It's better than that..., February 24, 2005
By K. Parsons "Hailing from the mountaintop!" (Idyllwild, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Longing in Their Hearts (Audio CD)

This is a tremendous CD... though definitely not as glossy and smooth as the ones that came after, or as rough and textured as those before. For some reason, even though there are a few songs I can do without, (I Sho Do comes to mind) songs like "Feeling of Falling", Cool Clear Water" and the title track have remained my favorite Bonnie songs since this CD came out.

There is a funky goove here... and enough attitude to show that Bonnie Raitt is no computer enhanced lip-synching pop diva powderpuff. No way - she's the REAL DEAL. Has been for so long I can't remember... and she still belts it out better than anyone. She's made a huge mark in a world that wasn't exactly welcoming to her at first... and this CD shows why. Virtuoso musicianship, a deadly groove, sultry, strong vocals and that sensation of, well... (hey - isn't that what music is all about!!!)~~~

"Longing" has that quality of imperfect genius that makes Bonnie Raitt's music so satisfying.

"Love Sneakin' up on You" (Little Jimmy Scott, Tom Snow) – 3:41
"Longing in Their Hearts" (Michael O'Keefe, Raitt) – 4:48
"You" (John Shanks, Bob Thiele, Tonio K.) – 4:27
"Cool, Clear Water" (Raitt) – 5:27
"Circle Dance" (Raitt) – 4:11
"I Sho Do" (Billy Always, Mabon "Teenie" Hodges) – 3:38
"Dimming of the Day" (Richard Thompson) – 3:39
"Feeling of Falling" (Raitt) – 6:17
"Steal Your Heart Away" (Paul Brady) – 5:44
"Storm Warning" (Terry Britten, Lea Maalfrid) – 4:31
"Hell to Pay" (Raitt) – 4:03
"Shadow of Doubt" (Gary Nicholson) – 4:26

e77a793509a031996f852110.L.jpg

Some Enchanted Evening -- CD

Art Garfunkel

2007 Rhino Records

While an album of covers is nothing new for Art Garfunkel, since he has never been one to pen his own tunes, 2007's SOME ENCHANTED EVENING is notable for its selection of jazz-associated standards, a de rigeur choice for veteran pop/rock stars in the wake of Rod Stewart's hit GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK series. Given Garfunkel's perpetually laid-back approach, this concept works particularly well for the singer, whose weathered yet resonant voice is ideal for these delicate, breezy renditions. Highlights of the record include a gentle take on "I Remember You" and a beautifully drifting version of "Life Is But a Dream," though every track showcases Garfunkel's easy-going charm.

Track Listing
1. I Remember You
2. Someone to Watch Over Me
3. Let's Fall in Love
4. I'm Glad There Is You
5. Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars (Corcovado)
6. Easy Living
7. I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face
8. You Stepped out of a Dream
9. Some Enchanted Evening
10. It Could Happen to You
11. Life Is But a Dream
12. What'll I Do
13. If I Loved You

Personnel: Richard Perry (bass voice); Mike "Brotha Jinx" Thompson (guitar, Fender Rhodes piano, Wurlitzer organ, keyboards, string synthesizer, vibraphone); Dean Parks, Frank Simes (guitar); Doug Webb (flute, clarinet, woodwinds, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Chris Frazer Smith (harmonica); Lee Thornburg (trumpet); Alex Navarro (piano, string synthesizer); Randy Kerber (keyboards, synthesizer, bass synthesizer, string synthesizer, drum programming); Steve Gadd (drums); Michael Montilla (percussion); Nick Sample, Bobby Ginsburg (drum programming).Audio Mixers: Richard Perry; Bobby Ginsburg.Recording information: Cherokee Recording, Los Angeles, CA; Reagan's Garage, Los Angeles, CA; The Cutting Room, New York, NY; Westlake Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA.Author: Art Garfunkel.Photographer: Jeff Katz.

17bb810ae7a0e09a9226e110.L.jpg

Christmas At My House -- CD

Larry Carlton

1989 MCA Master Series

A beautiful mix of guitar and vocals, with a few surprises December 7, 1998
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD

You probably think, "Aargh, another Christmas album!" Surprisingly, this is a great one. LC is at his best on "Little Drummer Boy" and "The Christmas Song". Every time I play this at Christmas, everyone wants to know "who is that, anyway?" There are 2 nice surprises on the album - a great pop tune called "Ringing the Bells of Christmas" sung by Michele Pillar and "The Christmas Song (vocal) also by Pillar. Her voice is gorgeous - rich, deep, clear highs. Reminiscent of Karen Carpenter, but much more sultry and mature. Carlton has all the usual suspects on the album as well, including Kirk Whalum, Terry Trotter, Abe Laboriel. A real family album. A real nice one, too! Merry Christmas!

Track Listing
1. The - (TRUE instrumental) Christmas Song
2. Winter Wonderland
3. Silent Night / It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
4. White Christmas
5. The Holly and the Ivy
6. Ringing the Bells of Christmas
7. What Child Is This?
8. The Little Drummer Boy
9. Joy to the World
10. My Favorite Things / We Three Kings Of Orient Are
11. The - (vocal) Christmas Song

5048e893e7a03c3bdb775110.L.jpg

The Eminent, Volume 1 -- Remastered 24bit CD

J.J. Johnson

1953/2001 Blue Note Records

The CD reissue of the two volumes titled The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson straighten out his three Blue Note sessions of 1953-55 and add alternate takes. This particular CD concentrates exclusively on the trombonist's 1953 sextet date with the great trumpeter Clifford Brown, Jimmy Heath (who doubles on tenor and baritone), pianist John Lewis, bassist Percy Heath and drummer Kenny Clarke. The six titles (plus three alternates) are highlighted by "It Could Happen to You," "Turnpike" and a classic rendition of "Get Happy." Although Johnson has a couple of features, Clifford Brown largely steals the show. This CD is well worth getting by listeners who do not have the music on Brownie's own Complete Blue Note set. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Capri
2. Lover Man
3. Turnpike
4. Sketch
5. It Could Happen to You
6. Get Happy
7. Capri - (alternate take)
8. Turnpike - (alternate take)
9. Get Happy - (alternate take)

Personnel: J.J. Johnson (trombone); Jimmy Heath (tenor & baritone saxophones); Clifford Brown (trumpet); John Lewis (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Kenny Clarke (drums).Recorded at WOR Studio, New York, New York on June 22, 1953.

51CWW3bIjLL.jpg

The Eminent, Volume 2 -- Remastered 24bit CD

Jay Jay Johnson

1955/2001 Blue Note Records

The second of two Blue Note CDs (which differ in their content from the similarly titled LPs) contains two complete sessions that showcase trombonist J.J. Johnson. The first six titles (highlighted by "Old Devil Moon" and "Too Marvelous for Words") feature Johnson in a quintet with pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Charles Mingus, drummer Kenny Clarke and the congas of Sabu. For the later session, there are also six titles (including "Pennies from Heaven" and "Portrait of Jennie") plus three alternate takes; Johnson is joined by Hank Mobley on tenor, pianist Horace Silver, bassist Paul Chambers and drummer Kenny Clarke. Both of these dates offer listeners excellent examples of the talents of the great trombonist who always played his instrument with the fluidity of a trumpet. Recommended. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Too Marvelous for Words
2. Jay
3. Old Devil Moon
4. It's You or No One
5. Time After Time
6. Coffee Pot
7. Pennies from Heaven
8. Viscosity
9. You You're Mine
10. "Daylie" Double
11. Groovin'
12. Portrait of Jennie
13. Pennies from Heaven - (alternate take)
14. Viscosity - (alternate take)
15. "Daylie" Double - (alternate take)

Personnel: Jay Jay Johnson (trombone); Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone); Horace Silver, Wynton Kelly (piano); Charles Mingus, Paul Chambers (bass); Kenny Clarke (drums); Sabu (congas).Producer: Alfred Lion.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on September 24, 1954 and June 6, 1955.Digitally remastered by Rudy Van Gelder.

WorkPictures175.jpg

Some Girls -- Mini LP - CD

The Rolling Stones

1978/1994 Virgin Benelux B.Y.

Amazon.com essential recording

A fresh, uncompromising attempt to incorporate 1978 pop techniques into the band's familiar sound, Some Girls opens with the disco sass of "Miss You" and closes with the self-destructive punk of "Shattered." (Both songs, especially "Miss You," with its distinctive Mel Collins sax solo, remain live showstoppers.) So the Stones declared credibility in the dance circuit without sacrificing their hard-rock reputation. Though the anti-love "Beast of Burden" and the stylishly slow "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" continue to rack up the most airplay, the obscurities stand up surprisingly well. Worth replaying: Keith Richards's rickety rocker "Before They Make Me Run." --Steve Knopper

1. "Miss You" 4:48
2. "When the Whip Comes Down" 4:20
3. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" (Norman Whitfield/Barrett Strong) 4:38
4. "Some Girls" 4:36
5. "Lies" 3:11
6. "Far Away Eyes" 4:24
7. "Respectable" 3:06
8. "Before They Make Me Run" 3:25
9. "Beast of Burden" 4:25
10. "Shattered" 3:48

ebee024128a0c5782dacf010.L.jpg

American Tune -- CD

Eva Cassidy

2003 Blix Street Records

Amazon.com

Eva Cassidy fans surely feel something akin to relief when another cache of tapes is opened for release. The singer's 1996 death at the age of 33, after all, rendered her output finite in the saddest and most frustrating way. American Tune's modus operandi is similar to previous Cassidy CDs in its mix of standard repertoire (here, everything from "Yesterday" to "God Bless the Child" and Ray Charles's "Hallelujah I Love [Him] So" rubs shoulders) and fine, less obvious choices (Joe Simon's early-'70s soul hit "Drowning in the Sea of Love"). The sometimes pedestrian backing does little to spoil the pleasure of Cassidy's pure tone and the surprises she's able to wring from the material--on the Charles tune, she even suggests a distaff Lyle Lovett. She'd no doubt be pleased to know that tracks uncovered at this point now sound like, well, notes from a missed, much-loved friend. --Rickey Wright

"Drowning in the Sea of Love" [live] (Kenneth Gamble, Leon Huff) – 4:19
"True Colors" [live] (Thomas Kelly, Billy Steinberg) – 4:50
"The Water Is Wide" [live] (Traditional) – 4:20
"Hallelujah I Love Him So" (Ray Charles) – 2:33
"God Bless the Child" [live] (Arthur Herzog Jr., Billie Holiday) – 5:17
"Dark Eyed Molly" [live] (Archie Fisher) – 3:28
"American Tune" [live] (Paul Simon) – 4:06
"It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)" [live] (Duke Ellington, Irving Mills) – 2:23
"Yesterday" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 3:09
"You Take My Breath Away" [live] (Claire Hamill) – 5:39

Back