• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Need a break from Christmas music.

51anOzOy-1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

61xtPikhTnL.jpg

Summer Wind: Live at The LOA -- SACD

The Ray Brown Trio

1990/2003 Concord Jazz

Ray Brown has many great contributions to jazz as a leader and a sideman, but one additional way in which he helped jazz was his encouraging Gene Harris to give up his early retirement and go back out on the road. The pianist was a part of Brown's groups for several years before he formed a working quartet and became a leader for good once again. This 1988 concert at a since-defunct Santa Monica night club (co-owned by Brown) finds the two, along with drummer Jeff Hamilton, at the top of their game. A phone ringing in the background distracts momentarily from Brown's opening solo in his composition "The Real Blues," during which Harris repeats a bluesy tremolo, which may be an inside joke about the early distraction. Harris take a blues-drenched approach to "Mona Lisa" before giving way to the leader's solo, while his lyrical approach to "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" is shimmering. Hamilton's soft brushes are prominent in "Little Darlin'," but his explosive playing provides a powerful pulse to the very unusual strutting take of "It Don't Mean a Thing." This extremely satisfying CD is warmly recommended. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Summer Wind
2. The Real Blues
3. Li'l Darlin'
4. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
5. Mona Lisa
6. Buhaina Buhaina
7. Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man
8. Bluesology

Ray Brown Trio: Ray Brown (acoustic bass); Gene Harris (piano); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded live at The Loa, Santa Monica, California in July 1988. Includes liner notes by Chip Deffaa and Leonard Feather.

51Jzq4Eo-bL.jpg

A Hawaiian Christmas -- CD

Amy Hanaialii

2007 Tiki Man Records

Amy H„naiali'i has a gorgeous voice -- that much can safely be taken as an assumption at this point. Lately, she's been exploring some new musical directions with outstanding results. On this album, she takes on the classic Christmas songbook, but with a twist: some two-thirds of the songs are in Hawaiian. What this can do for the casual listener is provide a series of surprises. Glancing at the track listing, one doesn't recognize much of the fare; certainly, few listeners have a keen familiarity with "Hamau E Na Kanaka" -- or do they? Shortly into the song, despite the usage of Hawaiian, one suddenly realizes it's "Hark the Herald Angels Sing." Because of the way that the Hawaiian language can flow gently, using few hard consonants and many long vowels, the songs come out beautifully. If anything, the language conversion serves to highlight H„naiali'i's vocals further -- you know the song, but the lyrical content is essentially removed for most listeners. No songs show themselves as clear highlights, and all somewhat equally jostle one another for their time in the spotlight. They're all standards of composition and tradition, but Amy H„naiali'i's peerless vocals present them in a grand way. ~ Adam Greenberg

Track Listing
1. Hamau E Na Kanaka
2. Betelehema Iki E
3. Silent Night
4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
5. Pomaika 'I Wale Ko Ke Ao
6. Ho'onani Kakou IA IA
7. Ka Po La'ela'e Ka Hikina Mai
8. Little Drummer Boy / Do You Hear What I Hear?
9. O Holy Night
10. White Christmas
11. Mele Kalikimaka
12. Mary Did You Know?
13. Ke Akua Mana E
14. Ave Maria

Personnel: Amy H„naiali'i (shaker); Jeffrey Peterson (guitar, 6-string guitar, 12-string guitar, steel guitar, classical guitar, ukulele); David "Chino" Montero (6-string guitar, ukulele); Bobby Ingano (steel guitar); Chino Montero (ukulele); Stephen Jones (upright bass).

61WMcj58YtL._SS500_.jpg

12 Songs of Christmas -- CD

Etta James

1998 Private Music

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

It's a little surprising to realize that after decades of recording, Etta James finally released her first holiday album, 12 Songs of Christmas, at the late date of 1998. Thankfully, she decided to make the record something of a special occasion.

Working with arrangers Etta and Cedar Walton, producer John Snyder and a terrific lineup of musicians -- including Red Holloway, John Clayton, Billy Higgins, Cedar Walton, Josh Sklair and her son, Sametto -- James has created a terrific Christmas record, one that is firmly in her style yet contains surprises. First of all, she sings "O Holy Night" in both English and French. She also reworks "Silent Night" into a plaintive, bluesy plea.

Each song on the album doesn't sound like a traditional carol, even if they're very familiar -- it all sounds like James, and it all sounds good. James fans may not feel like they need a Christmas album from her, but after hearing 12 Songs of Christmas, they'll be quite pleased indeed.

* 1.Winter Wonderland
* 2.Jingle Bells
* 3.This Time Of Year
* 4.Merry Christmas Baby
* 5.Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
* 6.Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
* 7.White Christmas
* 8.The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
* 9.The Little Drummer Boy (Carol Of The Drum)
* 10.Silent Night
* 11.Joy To The World
* 12.O Holy Night

ornette-coleman-1977-dancing-in-your-head.jpg

I took a Jazz Listening course in college, and this disc was what we listened to as an introduction to "free jazz".
I absolutely hated it, it was a cacophony of noise. Two guitarists tuned off from each other, and I think the bass is tuned elsewhere too. Garbage.

Well, 35 years and much more listening/opening later, I decided to give it another try. Its not something I'd play during a dinner party, but I can hear the communication going on between band members. This first track is over 15 minutes long, I'll sit through it.

I guess I've experienced growth over the decades; whether its healthy or cancerous, I'm not sure yet. :shifty:

EDIT: no, the bass is in key with the sax; still not sure about either guitar player… :?

Heh, here you go. This'll save you $12:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHacXpUis1U[/youtube]

bup-BAAA-de-Dah, bup-BAAA-de-Dah,

freak.gif
freak.gif
freak.gif
freak.gif
freak.gif
freak.gif
freak.gif
freak.gif

Today's work truck music....

6da1a2c008a00657832a9010.L.jpg

The Very Best of Curtis Mayfield -- CD

Curtis Mayfield

1997 Rhino Records

Timeless and perfect., June 29, 2002
By Gracejoy "gracejoy7" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of (Curtis Mayfield) (Audio CD)

Curtis Mayfield was a musical genius and this CD is a testament to his amazing ability to create powerful, engaging, funky, soulful, moving music. Mayfield is clearly the master of funk and his falsetto vocals are the baddest of bad. I have too many favorite tracks to pick just one, but I will say that "Freddie's Dead" and "Kung Fu" are alone worth the price of this CD. Most of the songs address some kind of moral or social issue and the lyrics are genuinely thought-provoking, not cliched. Some of the songs beg you to get up and dance, while others are meant for closing your eyes and just soaking it in. All of it is GREAT.

This is one of my favorite CDs of all time. If you are even remotely curious about Curtis Mayfield or funk music in general, you have to have this CD. It doesn't get any better than this.

“(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go”
“The Makings of You”
“Move on Up”
“Get Down”
“We Got to Have Peace”
“Freddie's Dead (Theme From Superfly)”
“Superfly”
“Pusherman”
“Future Shock”
“Can't Say Nothin'”
“Kung Fu”
“So In Love”
“Only You Babe”
“Do Do Wap is Strong in Here”
“Between You Baby and Me”
“Do Be Down”

heeman said:
^^ :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

One of my favorite's of Bonnie's!

I never really liked Bonnie. Then one day I sat down & really listened to " Love Sneakin' up on You".
It totally changed my opinion of her.

philipaaberg3.jpg

A very sweet gift arrived for Zing & I!!! Getting ready to make my holiday fudge and I thought this would be perfect to listen to while I am in the kitchen! Really enjoying it! ;)

Thank you!!!! :eek:ccasion-santa:

517042.jpg

At Last -- SACD

The Gene Harris/Scott Hamilton Quintet with Herb Ellis, Ray Brown & Harold Jones

1990/2004 Concord Jazz

If anyone ever asks you what jazz is, words won’t do. Just play this music. The pulse, the flowing time that is the nurturing essence of jazz is distilled by Gene Harris, Herb Ellis, Harold Jones, and Ray Brown as they shape rhythm waves on which Scott Hamilton’s tenor glides, dives, and soars. And Gene Harris, when he solos, also rides the tides of the past as well as the powerful presence of the moment. Each of the players has a full, open, personal sound—and each always has sound in mind...It is being heralded as a lost art that has been rediscovered. But the guys on this date have never lost that art.”—Nat Hentoff (From the original 1990 liner notes)

Track listing

1. You Are My Sunshine
2. It Never Entered My Mind
3. After You've Gone
4. Lamp Is Low, The
5. At Last
6. Blues for Gene
7. I Fall in Love Too Easily
8. Some of These Days
9. Stairway to the Stars
10. Sittin' in the Sandtrap

Gene Harris (piano); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Herb Ellis (guitar); Ray Brown (double bass); Harold Jones (drums).

3e191b2a433fe3863e02a477b38_prev.jpg

Pres and Teddy -- Remastered CD

The Lester Young - Teddy Wilson Quartet

1956/1986 Verve Records

Floating over bar lines using a light, airy tone, Lester Young redefined (and refined) the tenor saxophone. A nonconformist, Young's sound soon overshadowed Coleman Hawkins' thicker, more abrasive style. Indeed, Young's approach influenced most of the new wave of saxophonists to come out of the 1950s. On PRES AND TEDDY, we hear Young (nicknamed Pres) teamed up with the great pianist Teddy Wilson, who himself, is one of three definitive swing era pianists (the other two being Earl Hines and Art Tatum).PRES AND TEDDY is a small group outing that also highlights the talents of bassist Gene Ramey and drummer Jo Jones. This is straight-ahead, no bull jazz that doesn't cross too many stylistic boundaries. Recorded in 1956, tinges of cool jazz color the playing and feel of the record. Still, the band's swing roots shine through, making this release more closely aligned with earlier genres of jazz. Highlights include the medium bounce "Louise" and the bluesy "Pres Returns."

Track Listing
1. All of Me
2. Prisoner of Love
3. Louise
4. Love Me or Leave Me
5. Taking a Chance on Love
6. Our Love Is Here to Stay
7. Pres Returns - (bonus track)

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Teddy Wilson (piano); Gene Ramey (bass); Jo Jones (drums).Recorded in New York, New York on January 13, 1956. Includes original release liner notes by Bill Simon.Digitally remastered by Dennis Drake.

Babs said:
20121203002612!The_Christmas_Attic.jpg

TSO rocks!!!!

When I was still dating what's-her-name we went to see TSO live, very highly recommended if you're into rock concerts! Lights, flashpots, flamethrowers, cute violinists flying through the air, but best of all, original xmas songs, not the same, tired, worn-out dreck. I really enjoyed their show. :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

^ Zing & I have both heard how awesome they are!!! I, for one, luv the original Christmas songs!!!! Nice!!!

I decided to take a break from Christmas music & listen to one of my favorites....

I simply luv, luv this woman!!!!

Adele.jpg

I am not a fan of "Rolling In The Deep" . All else is just incredible!!! The woman can SING!!!

MI0001395238_zps507e7b4a.jpg

Plays The Benny Carter Songbook -- CD

Marian McPartland

1990 Concord Records

Two aspects uplift this Marian McPartland CD above most songbooks. Benny Carter is much better-known as an altoist and an arranger than as a composer, so his compositions tend to be quite fresh since they have been underplayed through the years. Also, the fact that Carter himself performs on the majority of these selections (which also include bassist John Clayton and drummer Harold Jones) makes the set something special. Highlights include "When Lights Are Low," "I'm in the Mood for Swing," "Key Largo," "Doozy," "Lonely Woman" and "Only Trust Your Heart," but all 11 songs are enjoyable and swinging. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. When Lights Are Low
2. I'm in the Mood For Swing
3. A Kiss From You
4. Key Largo
5. Another Place Another Time
6. Summer Serenade
7. Doozy
8. Lonely Woman
9. Only Trust Your Heart
10. Evening Star
11. Easy Money

Personnel: Marian McPartland (piano), Benny Carter (alto saxophone), John Clayton (bass), Harold Jones (drums).Tributee: Benny Carter

41M-4x%2B4NEL._SS500_.jpg

A Musical Romance -- Remastered CD

Billie Holiday & Lester Young

2002 Verve Records

Recorded in 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1958.

Romeo and Juliet...Eloise and Abelard...Tracy and Hepburn. These are among history's great romantic relationships, but perhaps the deepest of all romances - in all of American music, at any rate - was the one that was carried on in the recording studio between Billie Holiday (1915-1959) and Lester Young (1910-1959). "Lady Day" and "The President" (they gave one another their nicknames) made a series of "sides," as they were called in those days, that to this day absolutely define love in tune. She was - and is - the greatest of all jazz vocalists. His tenor saxophone style delivered the real Birth of the Cool. Together, they sang and played with an unparalleled sense of intimacy, warmth, and sensuous, behind-the-beat swing, whether the melody was pure gold (like "The Man I Love," "Time On My Hands") or closer to brass ("When You're Smiling," "Back In Your Own Backyard"). Originally produced by the redoubtable John Hammond, and intended first and foremost for jukeboxes, these sixteen seminal performances have been culled from the Grammy-winning 10-CD boxed set Lady Day: The Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia, 1933-1944. They also feature vital contributions from, among others, pianist-arranger Teddy Wilson, who served as leader on many of Holiday's record dates, Swing era superstar clarinetist Benny Goodman, ace trumpeter Buck Clayton (Young's cohort from Count Basie's definitive swing band), the sublime Ellingtonian alto saxophonist Johnny Hodges, and Roy Eldridge, little giant of the trumpet. But Lady Day and Pres, forever dancing in the dark, make this a musical romance that will never die. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

1. The Man I Love
2. This Year's Kisses
3. Mean to Me
4. Back in Your Own Backyard
5. I'll Never Be the Same
6. Me, Myself and I
7. Time on My Hands
8. Who Wants Love?
9. I Must Have That Man
10. Foolin' Myself
11. When You're Smiling
12. A Sailboat in the Moonlight
13. He's Funny That Way
14. Laughing at Life
15. Without Your Love
16. Fine and Mellow

1310460949_front-500-2.jpg

Over The Rainbow -- K2 20 Bit CD

Benny Carter All Star Sax Ensemble

1988/2003 Jazz Heritage

Benny Carter has recorded so frequently since the mid-'70s that it must be a constant challenge to come up with new settings for his alto. This particular Music Masters CD finds Carter taking his place in a saxophone section with fellow altoist Herb Geller, the tenors of Jimmy Heath and Frank Wess and baritonist Joe Temperley. The program is split evenly between standards and Carter compositions with the altoist also writing all of the colorful arrangements. This swinging and tasteful Benny Carter recording is a credit to his superb series of Music Masters dates. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Over the Rainbow
2. Out of Nowhere
3. Straight Talk
4. Gal from Atlanta, The
5. Pawnbroker, The
6. Easy Money
7. Ain't Misbehavin'
8. Blues for Lucky Lovers

Personnel: Benny Carter (alto saxophone); Herb Geller (alto saxophone); Frank Wess, Jimmy Heath (tenor saxophone); Joe Temperley (baritone saxophone); Richard Wyands (piano); Ronnie Bedford (drums).Liner Note Author: Ed Berger.Recording information: RCA Recording Studios, New York, NY (10/18/1988/10/19/1988).

The 2003 K2 Remaster cover looks like this....

519pSuN2xwL._SX300_.jpg

Back