• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

0d28c0a398a0ea932527f110.L.jpg

Will The Circle Be Unbroken - Volume 2 -- CD

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

1990 MCA Nashville

Amazon.com

"We've lost the living room," Emmylou Harris says before her ethereal version of "Mary Danced with Soldiers," "but today I think we got it back." Full of back-home warmth, inspired pairings--Roseanne Cash and John Hiatt, Levon Helm and the host Nitty Gritty Dirt Band--and a song selection that walks the line between traditionals and excellent contemporary material, somehow this follow up to the barrier-breaking first volume is never nostalgic nor aimless. In fact, it's nearly as good--even John Denver sounds inspired. Jimmy Martin sings "Sitting on Top of the World" as if his life depended on it, and Ricky Skaggs and Levon Helm both turn in vocal performances that stand comfortably beside any of their careers. --Roy Francis Kasten

"Life's Railway to Heaven" (Traditional, arranged by Johnny Cash) – 4:39
Lead vocal and guitar by Johnny Cash with June Carter Cash, Anita Carter and Helen Carter (as the Carter Family)
Randy Scruggs plays "Mother" Maybelle Carter's Gibson L5
"Grandpa Was a Carpenter" (John Prine) – 3:24
Lead vocal and guitar by John Prine
"When I Get My Rewards" (Paul Kennerley) – 4:25
Lead vocal by Levon Helm
"Don't You Hear Jerusalem Moan" (Traditional) – 3:56
Mandolin and first verse lead vocals by Sam Bush, second-verse vocals by John Cowan and Bob Carpenter
"Little Mountain Church House (Jim Rushing/Carl Jackson) – 3:32
Lead vocal and guitar by Ricky Skaggs
"And So It Goes" (Paul Overstreet/Don Schlitz) – 3:54
Lead vocal by John Denver
Released on John Denver's Australian album Stonehaven Sunset
"When It's Gone" (Jimmie Fadden/Don Schlitz) – 2:34
Lead vocal by Jimmy Ibbotson
"Mary Danced With Soldiers" (Kennerley) – 3:07
Lead vocal and guitar by Emmylou Harris
"Riding Alone" (Bob Carpenter/Jeff Hanna/Richard Hathaway) – 3:09
Lead vocals by Bob Carpenter and Emmylou Harris
"I'm Sitting on Top of the World" (Lonnie Chatmon/Walter Vinson) – 3:10
Lead vocal and guitar by Jimmy Martin
"Lovin' on the Side" (Paulette Carlson, Jimmy Ibbotson, Sandy Waltner) – 2:57
Lead vocal by Paulette Carlson
"Lost River" (Michael Martin Murphey) – 3:26
Lead vocal and guitar by Michael Martin Murphey
"Bayou Jubilee" (Jeff Hanna) – 3:01
Lead vocal by Jeff Hanna
"Blues Berry Hill" (Carpenter/Fadden/Hanna/Ibbotson/R. Scruggs) – 3:26
Instrumental, featuring Randy Scruggs on lead guitar
"Turn of the Century" (J. Fred Knobloch/Dan Tyler) – 3:39
Lead vocals by Jimmy Ibbotson (first verse), Jeff Hanna (second verse) and Bob Carpenter (third verse)
"One Step Over the Line" (John Hiatt) – 4:30
Lead vocal and guitar by John Hiatt with Rosanne Cash, vocals
"You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" (Bob Dylan) – 3:53
Lead vocals and twelve-string guitar by Roger McGuinn with Chris Hillman, lead vocals and guitar
"The Valley Road" (Bruce Hornsby) – 4:13
Lead vocals and piano by Bruce Hornsby
"Will the Circle Be Unbroken" (A. P. Carter/last verse lyrics by Jimmy Ibbotson) – 5:39
Lead vocals by Johnny Cash (first verse), Roy Acuff (second verse), Ricky Skaggs (third verse), Levon Helm with Emmylou Harris (fourth verse) and Jimmy Ibbotson (fifth verse)
Backing choir: Roy Acuff, Cynthia Biederman, Sam Bush, Paulette Carlson, Bob Carpenter, Gretchen Carpenter, June Carter Cash, Johnny Cash, Cindy Cash, John Cowan, Steve Dahl, John Denver, Jimmie Fadden, Bela Fleck, Pat Flynn, Radney Foster, Vince Gill, Jeff Hanna, Melody Hanna, John Hiatt, Chris Hillman, Bruce Hornsby, Jimmy Ibbotson, Helen Carter Jones, David Jones, Bashful Brother Oswald, Bill Lloyd, Jimmy Martin, Michael Martin Murphey, Roger McGuinn, Tracy Nelson, Robert Oermann, Brad Parker, Don Schlitz, Earl Scruggs, Gary Scruggs, Randy Scruggs, Steve Scruggs, Lynn Shults, Marty Stuart, Wendy Waldman, Steve Wariner, Cheryl White, Sharon White, Bobbie White
"Amazing Grace" (John Newton) – 1:48
Solo guitar, performed by Randy Scruggs

:text-goodpost: I pretty much wore out my copy of Vol I, didn't even know there was a Vol II!

Today's work truck music....

VanMorrison-LiveAtTheGrandOperaHous_zpscb904db0.jpg

Live at The Grand Opera House Belfast -- Remastered CD

Van Morrison

1984 Caledonia/Polydor Records

LIVE AT THE GRAND OPERA HOUSE BELFAST showcases Van Morrison's best material from the late 1970s and early 1980s. During this period, Morrison rarely performed the early 1970s songs ("Moondance," "Domino," etc.) for which he is best known. Instead, his sets favored newer, more spiritual numbers from albums like INTO THE MUSIC and BEAUTIFUL VISION. In fact, six of the eleven songs on LIVE AT THE GRAND OPERA HOUSE BELFAST first appeared on BEAUTIFUL VISION.These live recordings--vital, inspired, and punchy--represent a marked improvement over the more subdued studio versions of these songs. Best of all are a revved up "Cleaning Windows," a Zen tribute to manual labor; "She Gives Me Religion;" and "Full Force Gale," a foot-stomping homage to unadulterated faith in God. Longtime James Brown sideman Pee Wee Ellis appears on saxophone and flute, and Van takes a stab at a sax solo himself, much to the audience's delight. Those looking for live versions of Van's early hits should check out IT'S TOO LATE TO STOP NOW, a concert album recorded in 1974.

Track Listing
1. Introduction: Into The Mystic (Instrumental) / Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart
1. Introduction: Into the Mystic/Inarticulate Speech of the Heart
2. Dweller on the Threshold
3. It's All In The Game / You Know What They're Writing About
3. It's All in the Game/You Know What They're Writing About
4. She Gives Me Religion
5. Haunts of Ancient Peace
6. Full Force Gale
7. Beautiful Vision
8. Vanlose Stairway
9. Rave On John Donne / Rave On Part Two
9. Pt. 2 Rave on John Donne/Rave On
10. Northern Muse (Solid Ground)
11. Cleaning Windows

Personnel: Van Morrison (vocals, guitar, saxophone, piano); Chris Michie (guitar); Pee Wee Ellis (flute, saxophone, background vocals); Mark Isham (trumpet, synthesizer); John Allair (piano, organ); David Hayes (bass); Peter Van Hooke, Tom Donlinger (drums); Katie Kissoon, Bianca Thornton, Carol Kenyon (background vocals).Recorded live at the Grand Opera House, Belfast, Northern Ireland on March 11th & 12th, 1983.All tracks have been digitally remastered from the original master tapes.

51TSHOxEF5L.jpg

Willow Creek & Other Ballads -- CD

Marian McPartland

1985 Concord Jazz

Marian McPartland is so well-known as a jazz educator and host of the long-running NPR series, Piano Jazz, that it is sometimes easy to overlook her own fine piano artistry, which is very much in evidence on the 1985 solo recital WILLOW CREEK AND OTHER BALLADS. Never a sentimentalist, McPartland is always at her best on the slow ones, some of which, like Ahmad Jamal's "Without You" and Billy Strayhorn's "Blood Count," are too seldom heard. But perhaps her finest performance is on Stevie Wonder's "All In Love Is Fair," which is given an unexpectedly rich and meditative reading. Perfect for an afternoon's reading or coffee interlude, this is easy listening of the highest order.

Track Listing
1. Without You
2. The Things We Did Last Summer
3. All in Love Is Fair
4. Willow Creek
5. Long Ago (And Far Away)
6. Someday I'll Find You
7. I Saw Stars
8. Blood Count
9. I've Got a Crush on You
10. Summer Song

Personnel includes: Marian McPartland (piano).Recorded at Classic Sound Studios, New York in January, 1985.

401ca2c008a05144d93d6010.L.jpg

No Sun In Venice - Soundtrack - CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1975/1988 Atlantic Records

This recording has six John Lewis compositions that were used in the French film No Sun in Venice. The music is quite complex and disciplined, making this set of lesser interest to fans who prefer to hear Milt Jackson playing bebop-oriented blues. However the versatile group was perfect for this type of music and these thought-provoking performances reward repeated listenings.~ Scott Yanow

From Wiki:

The Modern Jazz Quartet Plays No Sun in Venice (originally titled The Modern Jazz Quartet Plays One Never Knows: Original Film Score for "No Sun in Venice") is a soundtrack album by American jazz group the Modern Jazz Quartet featuring performances recorded in 1957 for Roger Vadim's No Sun in Venice and released on the Atlantic label.

All compositions by John Lewis

"The Golden Striker" - 3:39
"One Never Knows" - 9:20
"The Rose" - 4:55
"Cortege" - 7:24
"Venice" - 4:26
"Three Windows" - 6:43

Milt Jackson - vibraphone
John Lewis - piano
Percy Heath - bass
Connie Kay - drums

scott_shirl_likecozys_101b_zps17a5eb78.jpg

Like Cozy -- Remastered CD

The Shirley Scott Trio

1960/2001 Prestige Records

The groove of the recordings heard on Like Cozy is what we've come to expect from Ms. Scott, late-night smooth groove that was heavy on ballads, medium bounce standards, and melodic interplay between leader and sidemen -- a trademark specialty of the label. Scott's piano playing is elegant and reminiscent of both Errol Garner's and Billy Taylor's. She has Garner's ornate sense of style, and Taylor's medium touch and sparse phrasing. A listen to the ballads and bounces here offers Scott's dimensions and inventions as a pianist. The rest of the disc, where Scott resumes her organist's duties, is a pretty and restrained affair, with just enough funk to keep the listener in the groove -- and it's all groove: smooth, slow, and slippery. Tracks such as "'Deed I Do" holds the blues firmly in its grasp as Scott extrapolates on the changes with a subtle but defined harmonic invention. There are no stunners here, but there weren't meant to be. These records were designed for the late-night-after-the-club feel, and they work that way. Like Ben Webster's Ballads or With Strings, these recordings are soundtracks for midnight rendezvous or early in the morning trysts with a loved one. [A Fantasy "two-fer" reissue added another LP from 1960, The Shirley Scott Trio, issued as Moodsville 5. It too features the talents of bassist George Duvivier and drummer Arthur Edgehill, plus two cuts with Scott playing piano.] ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Sweet Lorraine
2. I Thought I'd Let You Know
3. I Should Care
4. Spring Is Here
5. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
6. Ain't I Good to You? Gee Baby
7. Until the Real Thing Comes Along
8. Lover Man
9. Like Cozy
10. Little Girl Blue
11. Laura
12. You Do Something to Me
13. Once in a While
14. 'Deed I Do
15. More Than You Know
16. My Heart Stood Still

The Shirley Scott Trio: Shirley Scott (piano, Hammond organ); George Duvivier, George Tucker (bass); Arthur Edgehill (drums).Producer: Esmond Edwards.Originally released on the Prestige subsidiary Moodsville Records.Recorded in Hackensack, New Jersey on October 23, 1958 and Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on April 8 and September 27, 1960. Includes liner notes by Ron Eyre and Tom Wilson.Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

06b5225b9da08c6f54723110.L.jpg

Diva -- CD

Annie Lennox

1992 Arista Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Although traces of her synthpop roots certainly showed through, Annie Lennox's solo debut, Diva, made it abundantly clear that her new material would veer away from gender-bending robotics of the early Eurythmics sound and continue toward the more emotionally grounded soul of later releases. On Diva, Lennox infuses each song with tenderly perceptive lyrics, hypnotic rhythms, and irresistibly soulful wailings. Her arrangements are clean and simple, utilizing bare instrumentation and sometimes-languid chord work. The singles "Walking on Broken Glass," "Little Bird," and "Why" became radio mainstays, while gems such as the Eastern-influenced dream ballad "Primitive," the hauntingly autobiographical pop-lament "Legend in My Living Room," and the cheerfully satirical "Keep Young and Beautiful" gave the album a plump maturity. --Sally Weinbach

1. "Why" 4:53
2. "Walking on Broken Glass" 4:12
3. "Precious" 5:08
4. "Legend in My Living Room" (Lennox, Peter-John Vettese) 3:45
5. "Cold" 4:20
6. "Money Can't Buy It" 4:58
7. "Little Bird" 4:48
8. "Primitive" 4:16
9. "Stay by Me" 6:26
10. "The Gift" (Lennox, The Blue Nile) 4:52
11. "Keep Young and Beautiful" (Al Dubin, Harry Warren) (CD bonus track) 2:17

518%2BL07IMgL.jpg

Pyramid -- CD

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1960/1990 Atlantic Jazz

This is a strong recording from the Modern Jazz Quartet, with inventive versions of John Lewis' "Vendome," Ray Brown's "Pyramid," Jim Hall's "Romaine," and Lewis' famous "Django," along with cooking jams on "How High the Moon" and "It Don't Mean a Thing." The MJQ had become a jazz institution by this time, but they never lost their creative edge, and their performances (even on the remakes) are quite stimulating, enthusiastic, and fresh. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Vendome
2. Pyramid
3. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
4. Django
5. How High the Moon
6. Romaine

he Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano); Milt Jackson (vibes); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).

61JDJ2VCXYL.jpg

Jazz Masters 59 -- Remastered CD

Toots Thielemans

1996 Verve Records

The remarkable jazz harmonica player Toots Thielemans has essentially had no competition ever since he decided to fully focus on that instrument, rather than the guitar, in the early 1950s. This sampler CD, Verve Jazz Masters 59 is, fortunately, programmed in chronological order, contains some rather rare tracks, and covers a wide period of time although it mostly focuses on the '70s and '80s. Thielemans is first heard with the George Shearing Quintet (which at the time included vibraphonist Cal Tjader) in 1953 playing "Undecided" and "Body and Soul." The '60s are represented by a quartet version of his "Flirt" and a forgettable movie theme with Quincy Jones & His Orchestra. A highlight is Thielmans whistling on "Hummin'" with Jones in 1970. The rendition of "Bluesette" (Thielemans one big hit) from 1975 is disappointingly pop-oriented, but there are fine versions of "Tenor Madness" (with a European group in 1975), "Killer Joe" (a duet with bassist Marc Johnson), "The Peacocks," and the straight-ahead "C to G Jam Blues." The interesting CD concludes with "For My Lady," which finds Thielemans accompanied by Shirley Horn and her trio in 1991. Although it would be preferable to have the original sessions reissued in complete form, overall this is a worthwhile sampler of the great Toots Thielemans. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Undecided
2. Body and Soul
3. Flirt
4. Soldier in the Rain
5. Hummin'
6. Brown Ballad
7. You're My Blues Machine
8. Bluesette
9. Big Bossa
10. Tenor Madness
11. Nocturne
12. Vai Passar
13. Killer Joe
14. The Peacocks
15. C to G Jam Blues
16. For My Lady

I've been trying to complete my VJM collection and added the above to my list.

Been listening again to this album.

41Vz0MOVuPL.jpg

I love Knopfler's tone. Clean and bright as hell! It's a very clean sounding CD. All the songs are standouts, but "Six Blade Knife" and "Sultans Of Swing" are the standouts. The opening track, "Down to the Waterline" is another good one too. Highly recommended!

61C-xAi6TJL.jpg

Innervisions -- CD

Stevie Wonder

1973/1990 Motown Records

Amazon.com essential recording

One of Stevie Wonder's best albums, and the one where his more fanciful, free-form moments gel perfectly with his knack for irresistible pop singles, 1973's Innervisions swings between delicate and airy ballads, Latin-influenced rhythms (the hit "Don't Worry 'Bout a Thing"), and his own synth-heavy versions of gut-bucket soul (the determined spiritual questing of "Higher Ground"). The striking juxtaposition between "Vision," a barely breathed hope that a world of peace might be upon us, and the great "Living for the City," a funky, pulsing tale of racism, is powerful, haunting, and still all too relevant. --David Cantwell

1. "Too High" Stevie Wonder 4:36
2. "Visions" Wonder 5:23
3. "Living for the City" Wonder 7:23
4. "Golden Lady" Wonder 4:58
5. "Higher Ground" Wonder 3:43
6. "Jesus Children of America" Wonder 4:10
7. "All in Love Is Fair" Wonder 3:42
8. "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" Wonder 4:45
9. "He's Misstra Know-It-All" Wonder 5:35

e17f828fd7a06602d2234110.L.jpg

The In Sound From Way Out -- CD

The Beastie Boys

1996 Capitol Records

A testament to the talent of the Beastie Boys is that even a compilation of instrumental cuts, all previously released (although some admittedly on limited-run singles), could remain relevant to the music world. Not only is THE IN SOUND FROM WAY OUT intriguing, but it could be argued to be the greatest statement of the threesome's musicianship. In their existence, the Beasties have transmuted themselves from a streetwise hardcore band, to a bratty white-boy rap collective, to a more sincere rap trio, to indie-funk-soul-punk-rap innovators.These instrumental interludes started popping up in the last of these phases, and play like groove-funk soundtracks to '70s films that never were. From most artists, a collection such as this one would seem self-serving and pretentious, but these are the Beastie Boys. Wordless wonders like "Eugene's Lament" and "In 3's," rightly deserve a spot on the musical landscape. No, this is not a calculated marketing strategy to extract money from consumers, but a CD that pretty much had to be; these cuts the Beastie's laid down on separate albums were meant to be played together, and THE IN SOUND FROM WAY OUT completes that puzzle.

Track Listing
1. Groove Holmes
2. Sabrosa
3. Namast‚
4. Pow
5. Son of Neckbone
6. In 3's
7. Eugene's Lament
8. Bobo on the Corner
9. Shambala
10. Lighten Up
11. Ricky's Theme
12. Transitions
13. Drinkin' Wine

THE IN SOUND FROM WAY OUT! is an album of instrumentals, many of which were originally released on the albums CHECK YOUR HEAD and ILL COMMUNICATION.The Beastie Boys: Adam Horovitz (electric guitar); Adam Yauch (bass); Mike D (drums).Additional personnel: Eugene Gore (violin); Mark Ramos Nishita (keyboards); Eric Bobo (percussion).Engineers: Mario Caldato, Jr., The Beastie Boys.Personnel: Ad-Rock (electric guitar); Mike D (drums).Photographer: Eli Bonerz.

Yesfan70 said:

41Vz0MOVuPL.jpg

I love Knopfler's tone. Clean and bright as hell! It's a very clean sounding CD. All the songs are standouts, but "Six Blade Knife" and "Sultans Of Swing" are the standouts. The opening track, "Down to the Waterline" is another good one too. Highly recommended!

Great, great album! :handgestures-thumbup:

Good for you on the VJM's. I've got a long way to go, before I have them all! :eusa-whistle: LOL

Dennie :music-listening:

Oddly enough, I found Peter Gabriel's double CD "Scratch My Back and I'll Scratch Yours" at Best Buy. Strange, since Best Buy's selection gets smaller and crappier by the minute. Every now and then I'll find a gem. Found Rush's Moving Pictures DVD-A here in Jacksonville as well as Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese Blu Ray Audio. Found King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King" CD/DVD-A at the Best Bbuy in Daytona Beach across the street from the Speedway.

61jfY6pzjSL.jpg

Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of ELO -- CD

Jeff Lynne/ELO

2012 Big Trilby Records

Mr. Blue Sky The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra is a powerful new testament to Jeff Lynne s enduring artistry and his singular desire to get things right once and for all. Here, Lynne has artfully revisited and re-recorded the greatest hits of Electric Light Orchestra, and actually improved on some of the most classic and beloved recordings of all time.
The result is, in effect, a kind of showdown between the Jeff Lynne of today and his extremely illustrious past, and thanks to improved technology and recording artistry, wouldn t you know it, Lynne somehow comes out on top again. So do all of us fans who get another fresh chance to hear these extraordinary songs sounding quite literally better than they
ever have before.

1. Mr. Blue Sky
2. Evil Woman
3. Strange Magic
4. Don't Bring Me Down
5. Turn to Stone
6. Showdown
7. Telephone Line
8. Livin' Thing
9. Do Ya
10. Can't Get It Out of My Head
BONUS TRACKS
11. 10538 Overture (40th Anniversary)
12. Point of No Return (Previously Unreleased)

c2a3c060ada0a6d4fd269110.L.jpg

Late For The Sky -- CD

Jackson Brown

1974/1990 Elektra Records

Amazon.com

His third album, and arguably his finest, Late for the Sky continues Browne's sincere self-analysis into positively grim territory. The title track concerns the lingering effects of a dead relationship and was featured in Martin Scorcese's film Taxi Driver. While "For a Dancer" confronts death head-on, "Farther On" explains the difficulties faced by us dorks who live life through books, films, or music; and "Before the Deluge" forecasts environmental gloom and doom. Guitarist David Lindley adds terrific counterpoint to Browne's musing, supporting the tracks with tasteful slide and fiddle work. --Rob O'Connor

All songs by Jackson Browne

"Late for the Sky" – 5:36
"Fountain of Sorrow" – 6:42
"Farther On" – 5:17
"The Late Show" – 5:09
"The Road and the Sky" – 3:04
"For a Dancer" – 4:42
"Walking Slow" – 3:50
"Before the Deluge" – 6:18

garypf said:
Oddly enough, I found Peter Gabriel's double CD "Scratch My Back and I'll Scratch Yours" at Best Buy. Strange, since Best Buy's selection gets smaller and crappier by the minute. Every now and then I'll find a gem. Found Rush's Moving Pictures DVD-A here in Jacksonville as well as Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese Blu Ray Audio. Found King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King" CD/DVD-A at the Best Bbuy in Daytona Beach across the street from the Speedway.

I found King Crimson's Discipline and Red, both 30th anniversary editions, at a local CD store for about $6/ea. I don't have COurt on CD/DVDA, just the 30th anniversary disc great album!

Dennie said:
Yesfan70 said:

41Vz0MOVuPL.jpg

Great, great album! :handgestures-thumbup:

Good for you on the VJM's. I've got a long way to go, before I have them all............

Me too. I think there's 60 discs in the series. I think I'm close to half if you count the used discs I bought just recently (waiting on them to ship).

Back